• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?

In summary, my July sales were non-existent. I had two live shows.. one turned into a book show that never turned in and the live show host "rescheduled" but did not set a date. This has caused the live show host to be $33 away from being inactive and to have an order average of about the same as last year despite a higher show average. The host plans to place a sizeable order and is getting ready to close on a house. If I can't find that much in orders out there, she will have to submit a personal order. Things are looking up for the rest of the year, especially since I am taking a few months off with
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
My July sales were non-existent. I had two live shows.. one turned into a book show that never turned in and the live show host "rescheduled" but did not set a date.

I had two live shows and a book show in August ... BOTH live shows rescheduled (but again have not set dates) and the book show is on hold ... the host plans to place a sizeable order and is getting ready to close on a house. She is not sure when she'll close ....

I just turned in a $167 show that included an order from ME to make it qualify ... and I am $33 away from being inactive. If I can't find that much in orders out there I'll have to submit a personal order.

Thing is ... I just met with several cluster-mates this week and all are reporting the same thing .... shows canceling, lackluster sales.

Just wondering if this is a nation-wide trend or just affecting those of us in this corner of Ohio ...

Di_Can_Cook said:
My July sales were non-existent. I had two live shows.. one turned into a book show that never turned in and the live show host "rescheduled" but did not set a date.

I had two live shows and a book show in August ... BOTH live shows rescheduled (but again have not set dates) and the book show is on hold ... the host plans to place a sizeable order and is getting ready to close on a house. She is not sure when she'll close ....

I just turned in a $167 show that included an order from ME to make it qualify ... and I am $33 away from being inactive. If I can't find that much in orders out there I'll have to submit a personal order.

Thing is ... I just met with several cluster-mates this week and all are reporting the same thing .... shows canceling, lackluster sales.

Just wondering if this is a nation-wide trend or just affecting those of us in this corner of Ohio ...

You probably know this but make that an Individual order not in your name. A personal order is not commissionable. Is there a birthday, Christmas, etc. gift you can buy someone to get there?

My sales have been good but not as good as prior summers. Many on my team on the otherhand are barely keeping active. I don't know if it's their effort or the economy. My order average is about the same and show average is actually a little higher.

...doing better than last year...Effort and attitude can overcome!Keep chugging! What was your effort like 3 month ago? You'll really learn that effort achieves results. I pushed hard in May/June and am reaping some benefits now.Also, aim to overbook. You will almost always have postponements and cancellations. I'd rather deal with temporarily being too busy than not busy enough.

BTW, when July sales are non-existent, rather than dwelling on July being non-existent, use that to springboard yourself. If I have a bad month, I aim to work TWICE as hard now to not let that happen again.

My August has been pretty good, especially considering that I took a few months off with Cole but I need to get more on the books for September. I have "bite" on one cooking and one catalog show and that's it. I hope to book from my show on August 30th and to reign in some hold outs.

I think a lot of it has to do with the Economy. I know I have cut back on spending with gas prices and grocery prices and a bunch of other finance things we have going on. When you have to cut something, extra spending at home parties is the easiest thing to cut back. I have plenty of regular customers that are not buying much if anything right now. I think it hurts more than people are willing to admit b/c they do not want to admit to themselves that money is becoming worrisome with the Economy and they think if they believe it is not affecting anything then it will come true eventually.

That's a great question! I started to get nervous about "everything" getting into a slump because that's all we hear (and read) about. I decided I would NO-WAY fall into that trap. Remember when Doris started this company. Things were not great back in 1980 but she made them great for herself and thankfully all of us here. She did not listen to negative talk, she persevered, and kept her goal in focus at all times. We need to do the same. I am really trying to reach my goal so that is my focus (business focus that is ;)).
I wanted to see if my sales differed from last years. Here they are:

June 07 1593 July 07 3239 Aug 07 3107 Sept 07 8180
June 08 4753 July 08 3703 Aug 08 2382 Sept 08 14 cooking and 2 catalog

I still have 1 cooking show for Aug and 1 catalog that already has $200 in orders. I hope this will encourage you to keep going and do as Janet suggested, springboard yourself into a successful Fall. You can do it!:thumbup: We all can, we have the right tools :)

I have had nothing. I live in Michigan. There is nothing here no one wants to have a show or book show. They say ooo when I tell them I do Pampered Chef shows and in the same breath say they wish they had the money to spend. Things are real tight. We don't have the money to shop at Kroger. We go to Sam's Club once a month and we don't eat meat any more. You would think i would be losing weight. :D And now my Baby Boy is starting Kindergarten :cry: that I have to drive him to. The gas here is also $3.89 - 4.15.

My July was non-existant and so far I've only turned in 1 show for this month and it was a catalog show from myself. I have 2 more shows this month on the 25th and 30th and a Sept catty show so I'm hoping those pan out. Oh, and I did have 1 PWS order for this month. As of right now I still need $1.77 to keep from going inactive. :yuck:

Charli ~ I'm in MI too! Where is Columbus?

I thought I typed it in the above post but I didn't...anyway, I live in a small town in Northwest Indiana. The closest "big" city is 25 miles away. The nearest mall is 34 miles away. Needless to say I drive all over to do shows and really rack up the miles. That's why I love the mileage deduction on my taxes! It's all in how you look at things.

Typically the summer months are the months when you'll get the MOST cancellations and reschedules. This is why your directors will tell you to OVERBOOK the summer months.

What you can do to get your Fall months going (and finish August with a bang):

1) Have your own show...whether it's an Open House, Mystery Host, etc ~ HAVE IT...now, STOP the STINKIN' THINKIN' ~ you've got 10 days...plenty of time to get on the phone and personally invite them. DO NOT email or send invites unless you COMMIT to calling EVERYONE on of them. DO IT NOW!
2) While making those personal invitation calls for your August show, if they say no, can't...ask them to book a September show...you need help. People LOVE to help others out in need.
3) Make sure you FOLLOW up with those who have cancelled/rescheduled. Get them on your calendar now. Create a sense of urgency! Tell them, you are FILLING UP your Fall schedule now...
4) Make customer care calls...these always end up with something extra for you.

If you choose not to do anything, you'll get nothing. But if you COMMIT to making your business a success, it will be! YOU are YOUR OWN BOSS. If you went to work and chose just to sit there and do nothing, what would your boss do? ARE YOU WILLING TO FIRE YOURSELF? If you chose not to do anything, you are doing just that...your business will die, therfore, you have fired yourself.

PULL UP YOUR BIG GIRL/BOY PANTIES UP ~ WORK THAT BIZ BABY!

PamperedLady1979 said:
I'm in MI too! Where is Columbus?
It's Between Richmond and Marysville on Gratiot Rd. By the St. Clair River.

Kitchen2u said:
Typically the summer months are the months when you'll get the MOST cancellations and reschedules. This is why your directors will tell you to OVERBOOK the summer months.

My director hasn't told me anything ever.

Mine has mentioned it but I have always had the opposite. The winter months are my worse, especially Nov and Dec.

I had about 3 parties in July and then in August I had 3 parties and 2 catalog parties. For September I currently have 5 parties and 2 catalog parties. I was going to have an open house too, but then she changed the date and I can't make it on that date due to prior family plans. BUT October and November are currently non-existant!!!

I took last Summer off to help my friend who had a bone marrow transplant- so this Summer has been incredible compared to lasr Summer. My June, July and August have been my best months of the year, and that will insure a great Fall, since what you do now shows up 60-90 days from now. I think when times are tough, you need to think out of the box more- fundraisers, etc.

Well ... let's see ....

3 months ago I was working overtime to kick things into gear ... I had just been downsized at work and wanted to grow my business YESTERDAY.

My director assured me that this was not an overnight business and counseled me to immerse myself in fairs and festivals ... so that is what I did. I invested in a flea market (not many contacts, but a lot of looks) and a flag day festival. I am still working those contacts.) And I also agreed to work a fair in late July. (All my parties that I had on the calendar for July and August came out of these contacts.)

I didn't know an order on my PWS in my name was non-commissionable because I did place an order that way months ago .... partly because a customer wanted an outlet item and I tossed a few small items on there to save on shipping.

Anyway ... thanks for your encouragement. I am so close that one way or another I will NOT go inactive. Know what the funny thing is? I have a fall kick off scheduled already but it is in SEPTEMBER ... so throwing my own show would undermine these efforts. I also have ANOTHER fair scheduled this month and two festivals scheduled in September ... it will be hard to make time to do shows but I will do it!

Sometimes it's so hard to go out your comfort zone but it is so worth it in the end. I moved from MI to IN and didn't know anyone at all. I truly started from scratch here. My DD had started with ortho treatment before we moved so I had to find an orthodontist down here. After we had gone in for a couple of visits I brought a catalog in and asked if they had seen the new PC catalog. One of the office ladies said she had been thinking about having a show but didn't know of any consultants around. I live about 90 miles from HO so of course I had myself believing there were a gazillion consultants here! She booked her show the friday before Labor Day (2 weeks from when I took the catalog in) and had an $1100 show 7 bookings! That is what got my business going. It was really uncomfortable going out of that comfort zone but I am so glad I did.
Look in the files on here and type in the word bookings. You'll find a wealth of information in there and there may be some things that you can do tonight even to get going. Just don't give up. We truly have a great line of products and people love them and our Company.
Make sure you do the follow up calls from those fairs and festivals. That is key to having success with them. This is a great season to have shows and there are people who want to be a Host.

The thing that is really discouraging to me right now is that my fall kickoff tonight BOMBED and I have nothing else on the calendar. I invited everyone (200+) and even did a post call reminder. I checked the log and was bummed to see that people who I have been trying to get in touch with for MONTHS, answered the phone because they didn't recognize the number. I don't really even have anyone else to call. I asked my cousin to do a show and she agreed, but as soon as I asked if she was available on a certain date, she ignores me. I am just really frustrated with people right now.

Don't rely on postcalls for that personal contact. They are truly a Reminder for folks you Have Already Contacted - live!

If all you did is send out invites, then use postcalls, you got what you got. My open houses were notoriously under-attended until I began calling folks. The format that works best for me is an open house weekend with flexibility--what my live customers told me they wanted, in live conversations. You have to do 3 things for a successful open house:
1. plan at least 3 weeks ahead
2. invite everyone personally plus postcards plus postcalls
3. have 15-20 signs pointing to your house for the duration - many lookyloos have become customers for me, this way!

My summer has been pretty much down, but I've not been working my business as I should. Am working now for an August 1000 show; see attached.

Attachments

• AUGUST Benefit 10 fold.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 289
I'm doing a cooking class in Sept telling them to leave their wallet at home two dates friday night or saturday noon and I've already got quite a few people to rsvp - they can choose to buy gently loved items or look at the catalog (september cooking class) etc.

mainly looking for bookings form this class.

scottcooks said:
Don't rely on postcalls for that personal contact. They are truly a Reminder for folks you Have Already Contacted - live!

If all you did is send out invites, then use postcalls, you got what you got. My open houses were notoriously under-attended until I began calling folks. The format that works best for me is an open house weekend with flexibility--what my live customers told me they wanted, in live conversations. You have to do 3 things for a successful open house:
1. plan at least 3 weeks ahead
2. invite everyone personally plus postcards plus postcalls
3. have 15-20 signs pointing to your house for the duration - many lookyloos have become customers for me, this way!

My summer has been pretty much down, but I've not been working my business as I should. Am working now for an August 1000 show; see attached.

Well shoot, I wish I had talked to you 3 weeks ago! :cry:

If I wanted to try again, would November be too soon?

allisonserna said:
I'm doing a cooking class in Sept telling them to leave their wallet at home two dates friday night or saturday noon and I've already got quite a few people to rsvp - they can choose to buy gently loved items or look at the catalog (september cooking class) etc.

mainly looking for bookings form this class.

That is a great idea

Many of us forget about the people close to us; our neighbors. I'm hosting a sweet meet and greet in September for our local candidates running for office. Republicans, Democrats, Independents (neighbors) will be invited to my house to enjoy pariferol (sp?) puffs, apple carmel tartlets and coffee. They can ask questions of the candidates.

My husband is the county chair for the McCain campaign. It has brought me in front of a lot of people with the events we have attended. I encourage all of you to think outside of the box.

Hmmmmmm.... you've just given me an idea ....The local little league operates a facility within two blocks of my house ... where they have Bingo to benefit the little league, do sign-ups, etc. I am wondering what they would think of me providing deserts for one of their parent meetings ... with a few strategically placed mini catalogs, of course, and perhaps information on fundraisers?

Di_Can_Cook said:
Hmmmmmm.... you've just given me an idea ....

The local little league operates a facility within two blocks of my house ... where they have Bingo to benefit the little league, do sign-ups, etc.

I am wondering what they would think of me providing deserts for one of their parent meetings ... with a few strategically placed mini catalogs, of course, and perhaps information on fundraisers?

Just make sure you provide chocolate not sand. :p

At Nat'l conference several years ago, Carol Radu said that the number 1 reason for cancellations was poor host coaching. Not that any of us are guilty of that! But it really made sense to me. I have been listening to a host coaching CD with Matt King on it. He hates host coaching so he has printed off the 3 step host coaching from consultants corner and reads from it to do his host coaching. Pretty interesting.
Now with all of that said, I think times are tough, but we need to present our shows and opportunity as a way have fun and learn some ways to save money and make terrrific meals, appetizers, and desserts at home so we don't have to go out and spend a fortune at a restaurant. It's all in how we present it. I have had summer sales that have been better than ever. I think the free gift with a $60 purchase really helps too. Plus the home office chance to win for hosts was a great incentive for me to get on the phone. Don't give up!
Deb

My host coaching class at NC focused on everything BUT host coaching! Also ... I tried very hard to host-coach most of my cancellers .... but when it is near impossible to get them on the phone, that is an issue!

The reason I asked is because MANY of my cluster-mates also reported slumps ... people used to selling $4K are selling less than $1,000! They all blame it on "back to school" and a new friend who is an Avon rep has the same issues!

linojackie said:
Well shoot, I wish I had talked to you 3 weeks ago! :cry:

If I wanted to try again, would November be too soon?

I don't think it would be too soon at all. Make it a Holiday party and call everyone and the turn out I'm sure will be better.

Related to Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?

1. What is the "Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?"

"Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?" is a recipe collection that focuses on easy and healthy meal ideas for busy individuals and families.

2. Are the recipes in "Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?" time-consuming?

No, the recipes in "Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?" are designed to be quick and easy to make, perfect for those with busy schedules.

3. Are the ingredients for the recipes in "Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?" expensive?

No, the recipes in "Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?" use simple and affordable ingredients that can be found at most grocery stores.

4. Can the recipes in "Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?" be adapted for dietary restrictions?

Yes, many of the recipes in "Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?" can be easily adapted for dietary restrictions such as gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian/vegan diets.

5. Is "Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?" only for people who use Pampered Chef products?

No, "Anybody Else Feeling the Slump?" is for anyone looking for easy and healthy meal ideas, regardless of whether they use Pampered Chef products or not.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MaryannNic
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • PCJenni
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
bjlarman
  • sarahsworld2000