• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

WP Pro: Why Choose It Over Standard WP?

In summary, Carolyn recommends getting a laptop with a dual-core processor and at least 1GB of RAM. She also advises getting a PC employee discount.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Ok...I am determined to make a final decision and break-down and get one. Someone on here mentioend that I need to get WP Professional on it -- my hubby wants to know why? Why that one over the standard one?

You don't need any special WP on your computer to use pampered partner. PP works on any computer, desk or laptop, with a windows system. Does not work with a MAC. I know there are ways around that too if you are literate enough about such things.

I need to be able to run many programs at one time - I am a major multitasker -- meaning I will have AOL, Word, Adobe Acrobat, IE, PP and Publisher all open at the same time...and need my machine to be able to handle all that.

dannyzmom said:
I need to be able to run many programs at one time - I am a major multitasker -- meaning I will have AOL, Word, Adobe Acrobat, IE, PP and Publisher all open at the same time...and need my machine to be able to handle all that.
What you need is memory. Just make sure that it has the programs you want and lots of memory and you will be fine. PP doesn't require any special operating programs so it's all about your personal preferences.

I don't know what WP Professional has to offer versus the regular WP or the MEdia version ... I am so clueless about all of this.

dannyzmom said:
I don't know what WP Professional has to offer versus the regular WP or the MEdia version ... I am so clueless about all of this.
Just talked to my dh about this. Actually it's XP Professional that I think we're talking about (I thought WP was "word processor"). He says the biggest difference is that you have more capability to create your own website with the professional version and some networking capability.

Media is more for movie creation and things like that.

I do have XP Professional because he is a computer geek and says for $50 more... but he says that I really only needed the regular XP for everything I do. I multitask ALL the time and when I complain about speed he says he should get me more memory.

Last edited:
Oops - you're right I did mean XP Professional -- I certainly dont create websites - no clue how - LOL S oI guess I dont need that huh?

Nope. DH says if he didn't want all our computers to have the same operating system he would have put the regular one on mine and my son's and they would have given us everything we need, want, use.

He did say that if you ever DID want to do those things it would be more expensive later to upgrade it. Professional is the operating system used for businesses that network and for geeks like him who play with websites, etc.

You will LOVE having a laptop! It saves you tons of time and for me it eliminated math mistakes. I always tell my guests that I carry it because I am calculator illiterate! lol

BethCooks4U said:
You will LOVE having a laptop! It saves you tons of time and for me it eliminated math mistakes. I always tell my guests that I carry it because I am calculator illiterate! lol

I say the same thing Beth!:D Carolyn, a month after I started I told my husband that I wanted one and that I would get one with my PC money and I sure did! I got mine through Dell and it is really nice! My hubby is sad that I don't use it for other things though because it has so many features that I don't use b/c I mainly use it for shows.

Good Luck picking one out. You can really get into it!:D

One thing to look for is one of the new dual-core processors -- both Intel and AMD have them and they aren't much more expensive than the others. They allow you to run background programs like your virus protection without slowing down your system waiting for one process to finish before another starts. And make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM -- 2 GB preferred!!!

The biggest drawback with laptops I have seen is that the hard drives are still pretty small. I just retired my laptop and went back to a desktop, and we put the laptop in the kitchen for using when we're watching TV or whatever.

A friend of mine said to ask at Dell if they offer a discount to PC employees...anyone know?

I don't think that Dell does offer a discount but I did get a loaded 17" laptop from Dell for $499 and that was with XP Home and it has worked like a champ for me.

I think th eone hubby is configuring for me has XP Office?

I too am planning to add a laptop to my tools.

One thing I know I want is a keyboard with the "ten keys" (or adding machine keys). Not all (most?) laptop keyboards have these (I know you can buy ones that plug in) but since much of what we do when we are entering an order is enter numbers, I think it will make life a bit easier.

Just a thought.

soonerchef said:
I don't think that Dell does offer a discount but I did get a loaded 17" laptop from Dell for $499 and that was with XP Home and it has worked like a champ for me.
I have the $499 Dell Laptop, also...it is an Inspiron B130, but I upgraded to 512 mb RAM for an extra $50, Great investment!

It is so nice to do all the orders at the show and be done with it, so when I come home, it is finished and I can spend more time doing customer/host/booking calls!;)

chefjeanine said:
I too am planning to add a laptop to my tools.

One thing I know I want is a keyboard with the "ten keys" (or adding machine keys). Not all (most?) laptop keyboards have these (I know you can buy ones that plug in) but since much of what we do when we are entering an order is enter numbers, I think it will make life a bit easier.

Just a thought.

You can buy an attachable numeric keypad for about $10

Thank you all so much with this info.!!!:)

I am thinking of getting a Laptop too!! I have NO clue on what to get. I was thinking of getting one for my son and me to share.

I've heard rumor that there may be great sales offers on laptops in December as microsoft is late in shipping its latest operating system and so companies may discount their systems to get holiday sales and keep people from waiting for the new operating system to ship (january or february). So keep your eyes peeled.

tlennhoff said:
I've heard rumor that there may be great sales offers on laptops in December as microsoft is late in shipping its latest operating system and so companies may discount their systems to get holiday sales and keep people from waiting for the new operating system to ship (january or february). So keep your eyes peeled.

Yes, but after all the nightmare information posted on this thread, I'm paralyzed with fear. I don't want to end up with some horrible machine that crashes and I lose 5 years worth of Pampered Chef information. And then not have anyone to back up their product.

HELP! I really want to purchase a laptop but I truly am afraid to do so at this point.

chefjeanine said:
Yes, but after all the nightmare information posted on this thread, I'm paralyzed with fear. I don't want to end up with some horrible machine that crashes and I lose 5 years worth of Pampered Chef information. And then not have anyone to back up their product.

HELP! I really want to purchase a laptop but I truly am afraid to do so at this point.

You should always back up your stuff onto another system, a floppy, a CD-rom no matter what the computer is that you are getting. I am looking into buying a laptop and would prefer to get the older operating system as its been around longer and I like to wait until service pack 2 for an operating system prior to upgrading.

In general if you don't download tons of software from the net and you are careful with what you put on your system problems are somewhat rare. You need to make sure you get the computer that is right for you which can be hard to figure out. Given the way programs are designed today I would not go with anything less than a 40GB hard drive and 1 GB of memory. If you are mostly using a system for your PC business than you should be ok with a basic system from any of the major computer makers (toshiba, Hewlett Packard, gateway, someone I'm forgetting). If you are intending to do really fancy things then you need to do more research to figure out what is right for you. I'm lucky in that I was in the computer business and have a few IT guys I go to before I buy anything to make sure they approve it for me as I'm a complex user and so it is hard to buy out of the box.

What are you going to want to do with your computer? Will you need to have microsoft word on it (or open office the "free" competitor to word). Will you be running graphics programs? Will you want to be able to watch DVDs on your computer? Think about everything you want to do on the computer - remember to include email, instant messenger programs, music, movies, graphics, office software, and then find someone you can trust to advise you. For backup get a USB Flash Drive for under $100 for up to a gigabyte of backup space and then copy all of the files you create as well as do a backup of Pampered Partner between once a day and once a week.

I have an HP "media edition" with a numeric keypad. I'm not real thrilled with the support that I received from that big blue store with the yellow signs (there's an entire thread dedicated to that topic) but otherwise, it's been fine.Get one with a CD or DVD Read/write drive so you can back up your data. I prefer to backup my TPC data on a jump drive - I've got two SanDisk CruiserMini jump drives I use to back up my data.Sooner or later, you just have to hold your nose and jump in.

I was looking at dell.com. You can build your own. Pretty cool.

letscook04 said:

You can build your own at a number of the online computer manufacturers. I love going out and quoting my dream machine. Someday maybe I can get my dream machine.

Best Buy will build your machine to your liking also. Personally I hate Dell computers. I always had HP in the past...picked them up at WalMart usually the day after Thanksgiving. I thought I would upgrade to a Dell desktop last year and it has been nothing but a nightmare...and they did not build it like I wanted. We have Dells at my "real" job and they are always having trouble. The latest computers bought were from Best Buy and they were HPs. Seems the "big guys" have decided for the money the HPs are just as good and will last as long as a Dell for about 3/4 - 2/3 the cost. I do have a Dell laptop...only because it was free and it has worked great for me. I put my PP on there so I can take it with me. It does not have the 10-key pad and it drives me crazy. I am looking to buy a cordless mouse and 10-key to use.

I have a laptop and a PC on my desk. I do my 'net surfing on my PC, and use my laptop for PP and email. I am wireless (including my printer) thanks to my IT Proj. Manager hubby. I also take my laptop to all of my shows, which MAN let me tell you... will make your life so much easier!
I have a retractable cord mouse, and a wireless 10-key pad. I back up my laptop on to a USB drive as well as to my PC through our Network. If PP ever loses it's data, there are 2 other places it'll be restored from. (I back up every night).
I think I paid maybe $900 for my Laptop, and it's a "no-name" one. But it's fine... if something happens to it, my husband can fix it. If you aren't computer literate, get a warranty and you'll be good. :)

letscook04 said:
That's what I did last year in December. I've LOVED it! I use it for hours a day and have never had problems. I'm probably going to need to replace my battery soon because I've started to get the message that even though my battery recharges when I plug it in, it's getting to the end of its life, as they all do. Oh well. Just like this laptop was last year's Christmas/B-Day (my birthday is the 19th, so it's easy to combine them!) present from my hubby :D , maybe this year I'll be getting a new battery.

I have loved having my laptop at shows!!!

I just bought a new laptop from Best Buy about a month ago! I LOVE IT!!!
My husband and I don't fight over the computer now. This is all mine! It is a Gateway and I got a special where if I put it on the Best Buy CC I get 6 months to pay it off with no interest. It was worth the investment!!! Also because I bring it with me to my shows I don't have to come home and enter the show because its already entered!!!:D

laptop dealsHi there. If you are looking for a laptop, keep watch for the walmart sales paper and other department stores. I got a brand new Compaq laptop, fully loaded for my business for $398 plus tax! The sale started at midnight last night. I waited in line for about an hour, but it was so worth it! The number of laptops available is always limited (I was 25 out of 40), but it saved me about $200, so I figure the standing in line wasn't that big of a deal. Plus Walmart actually handed out papers with numbers on them as people arrived which protects you from people who might try to break in line, which is what often happens on the day after Thanksgiving. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that info out there. It was an awesome deal and I didn't have to wait until the holidays to grab it up.

Happy Laptop hunting!!!

Jenny

Wow, thank you!!! I've heard from a lot of people that dell is the way to go with a laptop??:confused: My home computer is a sony vaio and love it!!!

I went the opposite route and got an old dell laptop from ebay. The way I figure it, I have my desktop for my main computer and basically the laptop is a glorified calculator, so I wanted to keep it cheap. Since the PC software is really (really) basic, you don't need anything strong and powerful to run it on.

Also, I bought the targus cordless mouse and number keypad and want to say that they are really junky. I would check logitech's version instead if you really want cordless. I think they are about the same price. The mouse was dead on the first Targus one I got. The number pad light didn't work on the second one and my mouse broke at my 3rd show using it. NOT worth the $60 I paid for it. Get the cheap corded one and call it a day!

Finally, to get a number keypad built in, you have to get a 17 inch screen. My husband has one and it's great for him because he does autocad drawings on it, but for me, the laptop ends up being way too huge. I want a nice small light one that won't take up too much room in my paperwork bag. The one I have is a 13 inch and it is a perfect size for me.

HTH.

Rachel

I love my Targus keypad! It's worked fine for me for almost a year... even with guests picking it up and taking it to the other side of the room tryin to use it as a calculator. LOL
I let 'em try it for a few seconds until they realize there's no LCD screen to show them the numbers... I'm so mean. ROFL. ;)

Walmart has a laptop on sale this week for $398 it a compaq!w a 60 gig hard drive!!! I Bring my laptop to all my shows and I even have a little screensaver with pc products flashing a way!

This has been a very helpful discussion. Thanks. I've been in PC for 18 months, and finally think I am ready to make the investment. Besides, I have a BIG December birthday, and Xmas that might make for an ideal gift. I know my husband has been frustrated with my 7 yr. old Gateway being so archaic, and if I knew I had enough capacity with a laptop, I'd probably be willing to let this one go. I just like the larger keyboard my home computer has, and wonder if it is difficult to get used to the smaller keyboards and not having the mouse? When I see people playing with the little touchpad "ball" in the center of their laptops, I think it would be frustrating for me. Any suggestions about what models have the larger keyboards. Also, I have tri-focals and wonder about the smaller screens and ones that are light sensitive.

If you plan to use the laptop at home, you can get a supplemental keyboard to use. I have a wireless one that has a matching wireless mouse. I don't take those to shows (just another thing to carry), but when I'm typing away at home it's much easier. If you want a mouse for shows, there are several available that are very small and have retractible cords. They're designed for folks who travel with their laptops. I have one of those that I take to shows. It's just big enough for 2 fingers (one on each of the buttons) and has a scroll wheel, too. Personally, I don't like the laptop models that have the little track nub in the middle of the keyboard (I think they're used primarily on IBM)- give me a trackpad! :)

letscook04 said:
Wow, thank you!!! I've heard from a lot of people that dell is the way to go with a laptop??:confused: My home computer is a sony vaio and love it!!!

My laptop is a Sony Vaio, and I absolutely love it! I have never had any problems with it - and I use it for everything!!! I can't imagine going to shows without it!

Please be sure to Password Protect your Pampered Partner Program when you have it on a Laptop!! If the laptop is stolen, the credit card numbers and your customer's info will go with it!!

To Password Protect the program, go to "Personal Info" then "Personalize Pampered Partner" then mark the "Require Password at Program Startup".

PLEASE be careful to select something EASY to remember, though! If you lose the password, you are out of luck!

Janice, Thanks for the tip!

My husband gave me an early Christmas present yesterday-a LAPTOP! He knew I had a full November & December & wanted me to be able to use it for those shows! I'm so excited!

Dell DOES offer a discount.... I found the discount code on another site.... let me try to find it.....

This is the discount code that I have: 19340897. I haven't tried it yet, but read on another list that this discount is available to PC consultants.... no harm in trying it out. If you do try it, will you let us know if it works and what the discount is, Carolyn?

If anyone works full-time other than Pampered Chef, check with your employer. Many companies, especially technology companies, have agreements with computer manufacturers offering discounts to employees. I know that my employer has one, and I'd love to share it with you all, but I don't want to get in trouble - I still need my day job!

PoseyMom said:
This is the discount code that I have: 19340897. I haven't tried it yet, but read on another list that this discount is available to PC consultants.... no harm in trying it out. If you do try it, will you let us know if it works and what the discount is, Carolyn?

Wow, thanks!! I did not know that dell offers a discount to PC consultants..:) Do you know how much?:)

I have no other information. I'm not in the market to buy a laptop or a new desktop right now, but if someone else finds out, maybe they will post the information. I seem to remember someone saying it depended on how much you purchased or something... but I'm not really sure.

I have a Dell desktop and so far so good (knocking on wood). My bro works for Dell technical support...his English is quite good I might add, so IF I ever do have a problem then I can rely on him even after my warranty is expired.

My laptop I got from Newegg. It is a generic (acer) but DH does alot of "investigative research" before he buys anything. We have made a lot of purchases from Newegg and have never been disappointed. They have minimal shipping (I think we paid $7 s/h) got here in 3 days and NO SALES TAX. they have a wide variety of machines both new and used. Mine was new but only paid $350 fully loaded. Hope this helps.

Valky

Love my Laptop
Pampered Laura said:
I have a laptop and a PC on my desk. I do my 'net surfing on my PC, and use my laptop for PP and email. I am wireless (including my printer) thanks to my IT Proj. Manager hubby. I also take my laptop to all of my shows, which MAN let me tell you... will make your life so much easier!
I have a retractable cord mouse, and a wireless 10-key pad. I back up my laptop on to a USB drive as well as to my PC through our Network. If PP ever loses it's data, there are 2 other places it'll be restored from. (I back up every night).
I think I paid maybe $900 for my Laptop, and it's a "no-name" one. But it's fine... if something happens to it, my husband can fix it. If you aren't computer literate, get a warranty and you'll be good. :)

Pampered Laura
I have to agree with you I would now be lost if I didn't have my laptop with me at my shows. It is so much more convenient and quicker when putting through orders. Some of my customers don't want the hassle of adding up all their orders. So they give me their order form with all the products they want. I put it through on my laptop, fill in their paper order quickly, and away we go ZOOOM ZOOOM!!!
i would now be lost without my laptop at my shows! I bought mine last October as my PC was dying a slow and painful death. I was living in Ottawa at the time and got a great deal on a Toshiba at Future Shop. I got exta memory added. I spent a bit of money on it, but it was worth it. The PC I had was such a pain in the neck and it took up so much space. I don't think I would ever get another PC again. For me laptops are the way to go!

Cheers!:rolleyes:

Does anyone have a favorite compact printer that you take with you to shows?

Laptops!I agree with Ann and Becky!

My DH has my laptop all set up for me with the latest, and yes (GRUNT) "More Power" (GRUNT) (Tim Allen from Home Improvement), actually more memory is key!

I have an HP and LOVE it! I do bring it to my shows and I also have wireless keyboards and mouse for my desk at home! What I really need is more battery power, mine only lasts for about 2 hours! DH says it's on "the list"!

I don't plan to invest in the compact printer and bring to shows. I print out all receipts when I close the shows. I don't use the PC order forms, I make my own (they resemble the OOForms), and let everyone know they will receive a receipt with their products! It's easier and a lot less expense!

Batteries
VeronicaW said:
I agree with Ann and Becky!

My DH has my laptop all set up for me with the latest, and yes (GRUNT) "More Power" (GRUNT) (Tim Allen from Home Improvement), actually more memory is key!

I have an HP and LOVE it! I do bring it to my shows and I also have wireless keyboards and mouse for my desk at home! What I really need is more battery power, mine only lasts for about 2 hours! DH says it's on "the list"!

I don't plan to invest in the compact printer and bring to shows. I print out all receipts when I close the shows. I don't use the PC order forms, I make my own (they resemble the OOForms), and let everyone know they will receive a receipt with their products! It's easier and a lot less expense!

My battery only lasts for 2 hours also... I will definetely be looking into a longer battery down the road. I do take my plug with me for back up all the same.

Cheers:rolleyes:

Batteries will weaken as they grow older and lose the ability to hold a charge. One thing you can do, if you leave your laptop up and running for long periods of time without actively using it, is turn down the brightness on the screen. That will really help extend the battery life before you have to plug in again. On my Toshiba, I hold down the "Function" key and it one of the F-keys (above the numbers) to dim the screen. Then just brighten it back up when you need to use it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lakamper
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • krzymomof4
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pcsharon1
  • babywings76