• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why use unsalted butter in cooking?

In summary, salted butter is preferred for baking because it has a longer shelf life than unsalted butter and it has a bit of salt added to it which gives it a boost of flavor.
pkd09
Silver Member
Besides the obvious ingredient (salt) .... what is the reason for Salted or Unsalted Butter? I always stand at the butter aisle scratching my head on which to pick up. I 95% of the time reach for salted but was wondering what you would use the "unsalted" butter for.

I know that unsalted is preferred in BAKING.I found this on a website:
Salt is a preservative, and salted butter can last two to three months longer in the refrigerator than unsalted butter. So this actually means that salted butter is often much less fresh than unsalted, and sometimes has been made from cream that is less fresh as well.Overall, it's best to buy and use only unsalted butter for cooking and baking, especially since you can't even reliably determine how much salt is in any given stick. Ochef gives an estimate of as much as 3/4 teaspoon can be in a stick of salted butter, but this varies depending on brand and place of origin.So you're better off with unsalted, except for your morning toast and muffin. To keep it fresh longer, you can always store it in the freezer.

I always buy the unsalted. This way you control how much salt you put into your dish. This is especially true with baking. You can adjust your stove top dish with salt through the cooking process or just at the end. Taste wise, you would probably prefer salted butter on your toast or baked potato if you're used to having salted butter on them. If you're like me and don't use a lot of butter except for baking and you do use it on rolls or toast once in a while, you will get used to unsalted butter. All in all, go unsalted.

Great information!

Bren706 said:
Great information!

I agree..this is great information. Actually..I don't like using unsalted I don't like the taste..but some of you have made me want to go buy some unsalted butter though for cooking and baking. Might help with my high blood pressure.

You guys are AWESOME! Knew you would give me a logical answer. Thanks all :love: Makes sense to me now.

I just saw something on TV that if you can only find the salted, go ahead and use it. If there is also salt in the recipe, you may want to just skip it.

I always get unsalted, but I have a fudge recipe I am making this weekend calls specifically for salted butter. Wonder why?

byrd1956 said:
I always get unsalted, but I have a fudge recipe I am making this weekend calls specifically for salted butter. Wonder why?

I know salt and chocolate is a good thing (I've seen candy made and they use a little salt either in or on them.)....so maybe the tad of salt in the butter gives it exactly what it needs.

I usually only get the salted (Lightly salted I think it says?). I've never noticed any issues or problems in my baking. It could just be my particular brand too...but its the only organic variety available in my store.

I always buy salted, even with a recipe that specifically calls for unsalted. I prefer that little bit of flavor it adds.

Salt is a natural flavor enhancer, hence the reason some recipes specifically call for salted butter. In baking salt is needed in combination with baking powder for leavening. If salted butter is used in an item requiring these two items it could throw off the balance and change the quality of the end product.

What is "Stupid Cooking Question #8493"?

"Stupid Cooking Question #8493" is a series of commonly asked and often silly questions that many Pampered Chef consultants encounter during their cooking demonstrations.

Why is it called "Stupid Cooking Question #8493"?

The name "Stupid Cooking Question #8493" is just a fun and lighthearted way to refer to the common questions that arise during cooking demonstrations. It is not meant to offend anyone, and we encourage our consultants to have a sense of humor when answering these questions.

Are the questions in "Stupid Cooking Question #8493" actually stupid?

No, not at all! The questions in "Stupid Cooking Question #8493" are just common inquiries that many people have about cooking and using Pampered Chef products. We believe that there are no stupid questions when it comes to learning and improving in the kitchen.

Do I have to ask "Stupid Cooking Question #8493" during a Pampered Chef cooking demonstration?

No, you do not have to ask any specific questions during a Pampered Chef cooking demonstration. Our consultants are always happy to answer any questions you may have, whether they are part of the "Stupid Cooking Question #8493" series or not.

Can I submit my own "Stupid Cooking Question #8493" to Pampered Chef?

Absolutely! We love hearing from our customers and consultants, and we welcome any new "Stupid Cooking Question #8493" submissions. You can submit your question through our website or by contacting your local Pampered Chef consultant.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrodeo
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefmelody
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jenniferlynne
  • Lisa/ChefBear