• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Crazy Cake: A Childhood Classic Recipe

In summary, the conversation revolves around a recipe for Crazy Cake, also known as Wacky Cake, that is a popular and easy-to-make chocolate cake from the 1940s. The recipe uses simple ingredients and is mixed in the same pan it is baked in. The conversation ends with a thank you for sharing the recipe and a plan to try it out.
Sk8Mom209
Gold Member
Good evening everyone. I had to post this recipe that I came across on the Nestle website. I am sure that all of you have probably had it at one time or another. It was so strange, I had to try it, only to be filled with childhood memories as soon as I tasted it -- my mom made it all the time when we were growing up.

Anyway, it a one pan recipe and worked beautifully in the rectangular baker and would be a great September show recipe.

Crazy Cake
Estimated Times:
Preparation - 15 min | Cooking - 35 min | Yields - 15 servings

This recipe also goes by the name of “Wacky Cake”. Research tells us this very moist chocolate cake recipe was developed sometime in the 1940’s and was quite popular due to it not having eggs, butter or milk and mixing it all in the pan. A very moist, easy-to-prepare chocolate cake that goes great with a cold glass of milk!

Ingredients:

3 cups cake flour, sifted
2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons white vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cold water
Powdered sugar

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.

COMBINE cake flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Make 3 holes in mixture. Into the first hole, pour the vanilla extract, into the second hole, the vinegar and into the third hole, the vegetable oil. Pour cold water over all. Mix with fork or wire whisk until well blended; do not overbeat. Mixture may contain some small lumps.

BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar.

Wow, thanks for sharing this recipe! I've never heard of Crazy Cake or Wacky Cake before, but it sounds delicious and easy to make. I love that it brings back childhood memories for you. I'll definitely have to give it a try and see if it brings back any memories for me as well. Thanks again for sharing!

Hello everyone! I just had to chime in and say that I absolutely love this recipe. It's been a childhood favorite of mine as well and I'm so glad to see it making a comeback. I've made it for my family and friends countless times and it's always a hit. Plus, it's so easy to make and clean up is a breeze with just one pan. Definitely a must-try for anyone who hasn't had it before. Happy baking!

1. What is Crazy Cake?

Crazy Cake, also known as Wacky Cake, is a type of chocolate cake that does not require eggs, milk, or butter to make. It is a childhood classic recipe that is easy to make and can be customized with various toppings and fillings.

2. Why is it called Crazy Cake?

The name "Crazy Cake" comes from the fact that it doesn't follow the traditional cake recipe that includes eggs, milk, and butter. Instead, it uses ingredients like vinegar and baking soda to create a light and fluffy texture.

3. What are the ingredients for Crazy Cake?

The basic ingredients for Crazy Cake include all-purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, vinegar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Some variations may also include coffee, buttermilk, or other flavorings.

4. How do I make Crazy Cake?

To make Crazy Cake, simply mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Pour the batter into a greased pan and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes. Let it cool before adding any toppings or fillings.

5. Can I make Crazy Cake in advance?

Yes, you can make Crazy Cake in advance. It can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies