• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is the Pink Products controversy important for breast cancer awareness?

In summary, the company's products this year are beautiful and useful, but people are becoming desensitized to the message of helping cancer because they think companies are just taking advantage of people's generosity. People are excited about the pink products this year, but they would like to see more support for other cancers.
Brenda.the.chef
Gold Member
I'm wondering how well the HWC products will sell this time around with the controversary involving Susan G. Komen for the Cure......

Shouldnt matter....we work with American Cancer Society, not Komen.

esavvymom said:
Shouldnt matter....we work with American Cancer Society, not Komen.

And we'd want to emphasize that point

Or not say anything . . . . I must have my head in the sand cuz I know nothing about this and probably most people don't. I guess it would be good to be informed to answer questions that may come up. Whatever happened, cancer is still the issue and we are raising money for early detection and to find a cure.

Sandi

The other pink product controversy that people talked about last time was how every single company is doing some sort of pink product or pink themed giveaway or awareness thing. People are becoming desensitized to the message of helping cancer because they think companies are just taking advantage of people's generosity when it comes to a good cause and are jumping on the bandwagon. It's good that it's everywhere, so the ACS can get more funds, but it's bad that it's everywhere because people are getting tired of it. I'm excited about the pink products this year, though! I'm really thinking this year I might actually get some sales! :)

The products this year are beautiful & useful. Those going to SL tomorrow are in for a great

That's supposed to be treat!

sandilou said:
Or not say anything . . . . I must have my head in the sand cuz I know nothing about this and probably most people don't. I guess it would be good to be informed to answer questions that may come up. Whatever happened, cancer is still the issue and we are raising money for early detection and to find a cure.

Sandi

Totally agree!!

SGK just reversed their decision so it doesn't matter anyway

babywings76 said:
The other pink product controversy that people talked about last time was how every single company is doing some sort of pink product or pink themed giveaway or awareness thing. People are becoming desensitized to the message of helping cancer because they think companies are just taking advantage of people's generosity when it comes to a good cause and are jumping on the bandwagon. It's good that it's everywhere, so the ACS can get more funds, but it's bad that it's everywhere because people are getting tired of it.

I'm excited about the pink products this year, though! I'm really thinking this year I might actually get some sales! :)

Just a quick clarification- PINK is for BREAST cancer. The rest of us who have had other cancers are forgotten. Our/PC commitment is only for Breast Cancer. I really wish they would make it an overall thing. I know breast cancer gets a lot of press but there are other cancers and they tend to be more deadly.

Off my soapbox..

darlinclem said:
Just a quick clarification- PINK is for BREAST cancer. The rest of us who have had other cancers are forgotten. Our/PC commitment is only for Breast Cancer. I really wish they would make it an overall thing. I know breast cancer gets a lot of press but there are other cancers and they tend to be more deadly.

Off my soapbox..

:) You know I have to agree with this! Losing my mom to Head/Neck Cancer instead of breast cancer is just as important!!

darlinclem said:

Off my soapbox..

Exactly how I feel. I'm glad they do the breast cancer research as it is needed but I too would like to see us support research of other cancers too. My mother had kidney cancer, her brother brain cancer, I had endometrial cancer, etc...

I would love it if we teamed up with "Stand UP to Cancer"!

Be sure to send that suggestion to HO. Everyone down here is doing "Pink Out" stuff. The softball players have a game, the football players have a game, its just everywhere. They sell tshirts and then take up donations for breast cancer. Our basketball team did an orange out game to raise money for lukemia. I was so glad we were able to support other things. A young woman in our community...about 24...was just diagnosed with lukemia. A pre school child is now lukemia free for 2 years. There are a lot of causes we could support...and we can't support them all. But it would be nice to do something different from everyone else.

We already funnel our support through the ACS so I'd think it would be easy enough to make our focus more widespread. Then we wouldn't be tied to pink either...

Research for one type of cancer often leads to applications for other cancers.

Our HWC products support breast cancer prevention programs, not treatment or research.

Even if your head is in the sand, it would be beneficial to find out what has gone on with SGK and Planned Parenthood. It is a very hot topic and not one I would bring up. Talk about not talking about politics and religion!!! But just like you want to have the facts about using nonstick cookware and potential fumes, you want to know about this recent issue and be able to confidently talk about our partnership with ACS.

chefsteph07 said:

I started this thread because I've already had two people ask me if we were going to have Pink products and if we did, they were going to boycott because of the SGK issue. Regardless of what TPC stands for with their pink products, there are people are there that are in an uproar about SKG's planned parenthood removal.

We can educate all we want, but this news story (even though SKG changed their mind) is going to impact our pink product sales. That, of course, is just my opinion.

wadesgirl said:
:) You know I have to agree with this! Losing my mom to Head/Neck Cancer instead of breast cancer is just as important!!
I couldn't agree more! I lost my mother 8 years ago (this coming Sunday) to Pancreatic Cancer and one of my best friends almost a year ago to Esophageal Cancer (he was only 33 years old)

CANCER SUCKS!

Brenda.the.chef said:
I started this thread because I've already had two people ask me if we were going to have Pink products and if we did, they were going to boycott because of the SGK issue. Regardless of what TPC stands for with their pink products, there are people are there that are in an uproar about SKG's planned parenthood removal.

We can educate all we want, but this news story (even though SKG changed their mind) is going to impact our pink product sales. That, of course, is just my opinion.

If this is the case then I wouldn't even bring up SGK. We work with AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY, which is more than SGK. And I would tell my customers that as well.

I am on a Relay for Life team. One of my supporters asked me about the SGK issue and said he would NOT be making a donation if Relay for Life supported SGK. My relay team leader came up with this response:There is no financial link between the Susan G Komen Foundation (a non-profit with a mission to fight breast cancer) and the American Cancer Society (a non-profit with the mission to end all cancers, and sponsor of the Relay for Life event). You can review the Susan G Komen Financial Statements on their website - Susan G. Komen for the Cure | About Us | Financial Information | Financial InformationI thought it might be useful to others if it comes up with the help whip cancer campaign.

For those who are concerned about the issue- it flopped the other way again. Komen reversed their decision to pull PP funding. Of course, now you will have the opposite side. Many people didn't realize that SG.Komen money was going to PP at all.But like it was mentioned, we don't deal with Komen for our HWC, so we can stay out of it hopefully. :)

It's interesting that this came up as well because I have a friend who told me that her mother will not purchase PC items because Buffet/Berkshire donates funds to PP.

chefsteph07 said:
It's interesting that this came up as well because I have a friend who told me that her mother will not purchase PC items because Buffet/Berkshire donates funds to PP.
I think if you dig far enough into ANY company- you would be WALKING around, starving and naked....because you couldn't buy clothes, or food, or a car, etc without the company or something connected donating money to some group, taking some political stand, or the product is made in China, etc.:D Wouldn't that be a sight??Don't get me wrong- I boycott things on principle too sometimes.

chefsteph07 said:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/940175/posts

Do our Pink items support S.G.Komen??? I never knew they supported PP....its kind of disappointing to be honest...I know we all have our own opinions but I had no idea!!!

KristinaD said:
Do our Pink items support S.G.Komen??? I never knew they supported PP....its kind of disappointing to be honest...I know we all have our own opinions but I had no idea!!!
We support American Cancer Society NOT SGK.

Last edited:
Oh ok! :) Thanks!!!

For those who are disappointed that PC focuses on breast cancer and not others, I have a thought. Every dollar that helps any kind of cancer research helps all cancer research. Advances in breast cancer will help pancreatic, testicular, and ovarian (which is the one that took my sweet friend / pig butt buddy).

darlinclem said:

Off my soapbox..
I agree COMPLETELY!!! I have a team for my local relay for life every year and my eyes have been opened to the awareness or lack there of for other cancers. Not to mention, that breast cancer is almost completely curable.
I wish people would get off of the "breast cancer" bandwagon and start looking into more important ones like childhood cancer that effects helpless children.

Off my soapbox :rolleyes:

Hmm, breast cancer is almost completely curable? ok, tell that to my cousin who died at the age of 53. Or to my friend who had a prophylactic breast removal after her mom and grandmother died of breast cancer and her aunt had a double mastectomy. Yes, she and her aunt survived, but their bodies will never be the same.

I look at selling pink products as a chance to make everyone aware of not only breast cancer but all other cancers too and how we need to work together to raise fund to find a cure. In May, I sell pink products, and let everyone know that I am donating a portion of my commission to the Lustgarten Foundation in honor of my father in law. So while I am helping raise funds for ACS, I'll also raise funds for a foundation that means a lot to me.

My friend lost her life to breast cancer last October at the age of 26. Hardly "almost completely curable." I hate to take you to task for throwing something like that out there, but you had to know many of us would have something to come back with. Cancer is a horrible beast. My husband has battled it twice now and I'm thankful he's won twice, but fearful of it ever coming back. I guess, bottom line is, I don't think you ever want to classify any kind of cancer as more or less important than another. Whatever kind you or your loved one is battling is the biggest enemy of them all. PC went with breast cancer for whatever reason - if they chose childhood cancers or lung cancer or pancreatic cancer or <insert favorite cancer here> someone would complain that their form wasn't chosen. It's just the way it was. I'm proud to support the battle against breast cancer - It has touched so many people in my life, I'm happy to go after it however I can.

Wow Melissa, I think your entire comment was totally offensive. Wow.
"get off the breast cancer bandwagon and start looking into MORE IMPORTANT ONES"???

I really don't know what to say to that. I hope that you never have to have both of your breasts removed and months of chemo and still wonder if you are going to live or die. Then, even though you had both of your breasts removed and thought you were safe, find out that the cancer has gone into your lymph nodes in your armpit and have to have MORE chemo and radiation. Then maybe you will think it is "important". :grumpy:

darlinclem said:

Off my soapbox..

I completely agree with you. I say it every year..and everytime there are other Pink promotions not just with PC. My dad died of Pancreatic Cancer so I support it because it does go to ACS. But I wish it would be for others as well.

Cancer does not care if you are young or old, rich or poor. It doesn't care where it strikes in the body. ALL cancers are horrible.

The important thing is we all know of many people in our families and in our network of friends that have been stricken, mamed and killed by this disease. Some of us have personally battled cancer. I am very fortunate that I am not in that group thus far.

Last year my son lost his father (my ex-husband) to bile duct cancer. Here was a perfectly healthy man of 59 who was diagnosed just 2 months and 4 days before he passed in our arms. Bile duct, gall bladder and pancreatic cancers join in a whole bunch of sneeky cancers which show no symptoms until they are full blown.

I could be mad that even donating to ACS doesn't even begin to touch the research needed to be done for bile duct cancer. Much of the research of this type of cancer is being done in other countries.

I love the pink items so I support Help Whip Cancer. I feel we are at war with ALL cancers. So if you feel strongly about another type of cancer, hold a fundraiser for that specific type. I am thinking of holding a fundraiser and donating to the Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation.

chefsteph07 said:

This was resolved years ago, shortly after TPC become part of Berkshire/Hathway.

I'm sorry, my reply wasn't meant to sound so harsh.
I have a brother in law that battled lymphoma for 5 years, was in remission for a year and lost his battle to leukemia 23 months ago today.
I have a cousin who lost his eye at 3 years old to retinal cancer. A grandfather who lost a kidney to cancer.
I know what cancer does, my list is endless to all the people I've seen in my personal life fight this horrible disease.
My regard to the "breast cancer bandwagon" is the fact that I see teenagers at the high school wearing bracelets that state "I <3 Boobies" or "Save The Tatas". T-Shrits that are more sexually geared rather than actually towards the cause. And because these teenagers are at their sexual peek, of course they think this is cool.
I absolutely LOVE the pink products. But, it would be nice to see people using purple and focusing on everything, rather than one specific cancer.
Again, I apologize. I did not mean that to be offensive. Would like to see more people open to all cancers and not just one specific.

Melissa, I am so sorry for your losses. And working at a large school district, I understand about the wrist bands and tee shirts the kids wear. I have even seen many vehicles that are teacher vehicles in elementary school parking lots with those logos too. Again, it is bringing awareness but one that I am not too comfortable with as well.

And I agree that we need to focus on many cancers. As my ex-husband noticed last year many of the donations to ACS will go towards the cancers that occur in higher numbers. People with his type of cancer only make up about 3% of all cancers. So the money is geared towards the more common cancers that are diagnosised. It was the most helpless feeling knowing that many hospitals have rarely seen let alone treated this rare cancer. And by the time you did any research to get familiar, he was unable to take any more than 6 chemo treatments.

Yesterday someone knew a little girl, only 5, was diagnosed with a brain tumor last Friday and died earlier this week. Can't even imagine the heartbreak this family is going through.

Maybe if enough consultants emailed their concern and request to HO, they wouold consider it. I know I say that alot, but there is power in numbers, and we know the HO does listen.....sometimes it takes awhile,yes.Suggest they broaden the cancer message to not just breast cancer. Incorporate other colors for products, work with ACS on a plan for the money....it can still be used for the same things just not single-threaded towards one group. Give the personal stories of how PC has been impacted. WE are the Pampered Chef,too, right?

It seems many of you are missing the point here. No matter who or how the money is used, it is a humanitarian cause. It is not a political one nor is it anti this or pro that. Other than being PRO - lets help. I am sorry. I use the platform, "I have 19 reason I do this" I work my butt off every May as I really do have 19 reasons. I have lost many, I have pride in that I could help many more. I did not interview these people to deem them worthy of my help or not. THAT WOULD BE UNCHRISTIAN in my mind.
To me I could give a rats behind where they stand politically or religiously. I am not God and I have no right to judge based on either of those things. All I know is that breast cancer does not discriminate nor should the help we provide to help get rid of it. Which by the way, we do not do!!! Not directly. The money we raise has nothing to do with research. It is used for the things that we all over look. Wigs to help raise a patients pride, transportation for getting to and from treatments, finical to pay those medical bills and psychological help because attitude is everything in this fight, to those afflicted and their families. This means that money other groups raise can be used for research while we just make it possible for people who can not afford too, get screened and then we help cancer patients cope. Think of this the next time you have a friend that gets breast cancer. Then if you are so worried about it, ask if she has ever had an abortion. 99% of women will NEVER divulge that info to you. And if she says yes, then you better be ready to tell her OH, I can not help you.
And would you really want me to tell you, because you believe differently than me, that I will NOT help you if this awful thing strikes you? That is my soap box for today.Oh and as far as the original post goes - yes we could be more diverse. PC decided the helping hand aspect was just, if not more so, important than research. We only help in an aspect NO ONE really thinks about.

Last edited:
pampered1224 said:
It seems many of you are missing the point here. No matter who or how the money is used, it is a humanitarian cause. It is not a political one nor is it anti this or pro that. Other than being PRO - lets help. I am sorry. I use the platform, "I have 19 reason I do this" I work my butt off every May as I really do have 19 reasons. I have lost many, I have pride in that I could help many more. I did not interview these people to deem them worthy of my help or not. THAT WOULD BE UNCHRISTIAN in my mind.
To me I could give a rats behind where they stand politically or religiously. I am not God and I have no right to judge based on either of those things. All I know is that breast cancer does not discriminate nor should the help we provide to help get rid of it. Which by the way, we do not do!!! Not directly. The money we raise has nothing to do with research. It is used for the things that we all over look. Wigs to help raise a patients pride, transportation for getting to and from treatments, finical to pay those medical bills and psychological help because attitude is everything in this fight, to those afflicted and their families. This means that money other groups raise can be used for research while we just make it possible for people who can not afford too, get screened and then we help cancer patients cope. Think of this the next time you have a friend that gets breast cancer. Then if you are so worried about it, ask if she has ever had an abortion. 99% of women will NEVER divulge that info to you. And if she says yes, then you better be ready to tell her OH, I can not help you.
And would you really want me to tell you, because you believe differently than me, that I will NOT help you if this awful thing strikes you?

That is my soap box for today.

Oh and as far as the original post goes - yes we could be more diverse. PC decided the helping hand aspect was just, if not more so, important than research. We only help in an aspect NO ONE really thinks about.

I love you, John. That is all.

I love you, too, John.

I suggested that PC should just do cancer in general not just breast cancer, I am rectal cancer survivor. Just got a "canned" email response back.

And I love you all as well. Otherwise, I am a guy. I do not get abortions and the possibility of my getting breast cancer is there but NOT AT ALL like it is for all you gals. So why should I care what you all do or think anyway? I do it because first and foremost I am a human. And as a human I believe part of my duty is to help take care of others. And as such, I practice that first. I do not have a religious requirement. I do not have a political requirement. I do not care if you believe that the ultimate deity has 27 fingers, blue hair and 2000 eyes. I do not care. All I care about is that if you are hurting, maybe I can help. I try very hard to keep the man made crap out of it.Oh and just so all of you know. I do have very strong religious beliefs and political beliefs. But cancer knows nothing of that. So why block helping those who are afflicted because of where they get the help? I am human first. All else is useless.

Last edited:
chefsteph07 said:

I know this is really late to the party... but I think it DOES matter. I wasn't aware that SGK gave money to Planned Parenthood until they took it away. The fact that they reversed their decision has brought it to the mainstream and a lot of people will not donate or purchase anything that supports SGK because of the association with PP. (Myself included) now that it is known that there is a link.

I will happily support ACS though and do emphasize that proceeds go to the American Cancer society on my paperwork.

ivykeep said:
I know this is really late to the party... but I think it DOES matter. I wasn't aware that SGK gave money to Planned Parenthood until they took it away. The fact that they reversed their decision has brought it to the mainstream and a lot of people will not donate or purchase anything that supports SGK because of the association with PP. (Myself included) now that it is known that there is a link.

I will happily support ACS though and do emphasize that proceeds go to the American Cancer society on my paperwork.

Then you'll want to read this:
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/why-i-cant-promote-hwc-products-72898/

There is more than meets the eye with many organizations.

Re: Pink Products controversy
I'm about to show my age here. :)

Those of you who weren't around in the mid-1970's when First Lady Betty Ford actually said the words "breast cancer" in public in mixed company can't imagine what a SHAMEFUL thing it was for someone to have breast cancer and DARE to talk about it. IT WAS NOT TALKED ABOUT - if you had it you did not mention it except maybe in a whisper to a very close personal friend.

Things are so different now and some of you can't begin to imagine what the world was like back then. I CAN remember and I support ACS, Susan G Komen, Planned Parenthood, NARAL and yes, even the Equal Rights Amendment. LOL!

Fortunately we CAN talk about it now and we can encourage our friends to get mammograms and actually do breast self-exams (imagine THAT being talked about in mixed company 40 years ago!). So yes, "Save the Ta-Ta's"! and "<3 BOOBIES"! If that's what it takes, I'm all for it. We've come a long way Baby.

I agree with John -- I am human first. All else is useless.​

Related to Why is the Pink Products controversy important for breast cancer awareness?

1. Why is the Pink Products controversy important for breast cancer awareness?

The Pink Products controversy has brought attention to the issue of "pinkwashing," which is the practice of companies using pink ribbons and breast cancer awareness campaigns for their own profit, without actually donating significant funds to breast cancer research or support. This controversy highlights the need for transparency and accountability in cause-related marketing, and encourages consumers to research and support organizations that truly make a difference in the fight against breast cancer.

2. How has the controversy affected the sales of Pampered Chef's Help Whip Cancer (HWC) products?

While the controversy has definitely brought attention to the issue of pinkwashing, it has not had a significant impact on the sales of our HWC products. Our customers understand that our partnership with the American Cancer Society is genuine and that a portion of the proceeds from these products truly goes towards breast cancer research and support.

3. What steps has Pampered Chef taken to ensure transparency and accountability in their breast cancer awareness campaign?

Pampered Chef has always been committed to transparency and accountability in our HWC campaign. We have a dedicated webpage that outlines our partnership with the American Cancer Society and how the proceeds from our HWC products are used. We also provide regular updates on the amount of funds raised and donated to the cause.

4. Is Pampered Chef still partnering with Susan G. Komen for the Cure?

No, Pampered Chef's partnership with Susan G. Komen for the Cure ended in 2012. We now partner with the American Cancer Society for our Help Whip Cancer campaign.

5. What can consumers do to ensure their support truly makes a difference in the fight against breast cancer?

Consumers can do their research and support organizations that have a proven track record of donating significant funds towards breast cancer research and support. They can also look for transparency and accountability in cause-related marketing campaigns, and support companies that are committed to making a real difference in the fight against breast cancer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AJPratt
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • kzuley
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Careyann
  • elijahstrust