• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Did Only One Person Show Up at My Promised PartyLite Event?

In summary, the host of a show promised 8 people would come, only 1 did. The host had to wait for her 14-year-old daughter to call and say she didn't get orders so leave her alone, then the host left with $0 in sales.
supergirljennie
Not sure if this is the right place about this, but my complaint is about sales!

I did a show at the beginning of the month in Ohio. I live in Indiana. I was coming any way to do another show, plus I get to visit my mother who lives there. My mother is 2 hours away from me. This show I went to do is 1 hour from her. The lady is a friend of the PartyLite lady I use, so that's why I didn't mind going so far.

I was promised 8 people at the party... only 1 showed. So I went ahead and did the demo so she could get credit for a cooking show. I left with $0 in sales because the friend said she wanted more time to look at the catty. That's fine. They were both making a big list of what they wanted.

So we were going to close on the 13th. She says she has one more order to get, so I wait. And I call. Every. Other. Day. And nothing. Finally, I've been calling every few hours today, because we need to close. And get this:

She has her 14-year-old daughter call and say she didn't get any orders so leave her alone!

Bah! I know, bless and release, but it just bothers me she couldn't tell me herself. I mean, grow a pair!

Thanks for letting me complain, everyone. Sorry!

Wow - what a loser. I am so sorry you had to deal with her :(

that is so frusterating when you drive that far to do a show and then they dont put any effort into it I am so sorry that happened to you

That is SO incredible! You would have think that she would have been so embarrassed that she would have at least gotten a few or order a significant amount for herself! :mad:

I've had a few like that lately. My show tonight cancelled last night via the DH. She had him call and say that she'd NEVER received the packet. YEAH RIGHT. I priority mailed the thing on the 14th. She should have received it on the 16th. It's the 22nd and you've not received the packet yet? MY BUTT!

Another host, I actually had to call the past host and she called back saying the new host couldn't do the show. URGGG!

Bless & Release!!

People are just so inconsiderate!!!!!:mad:

I just can't believe the nerve of people. If they were adult enough to book a show than they should be adult enough to cancel. I think it is rude to use your kids and husband like that. Just my two cents.

Man, that is rude! This is your job and I wonder if she would like it if her car mechanic or hair dresser did that to her! Argh!!!!!!

That's a bummer about the show. Don't forget to write off your mileage for your trip!! At least you get a tax writeoff and a visit to your mom :). It's amazing to me when people just don't call back or have someone else call. I've had a few of those myself. Luckily few and far between.

I hate that people don't take our businesses seriously.

Saturday I went straight from doing a craft fair to my show. I drove a long way on Saturday night for my show, not to mention all the time I wasted after the craft fair before going to the show (it was too far to go home and back). She told me 10 people were coming.

When I arrived, the host was not there. I called her cell and she was on her way. So she gets there and I get set up and no one else is showing up. One or two people call to say they're NOT coming and one of them places an order. It's now an hour after the start time. The past host is on her way, but it lost. The host tells me I can only do one recipe (I was going to do two--Garden Dip and a Microwave Cake--both pretty easy). I told her I don't have to do any recipe, the past host has seen it all before. So I started packing up. Then the past host arrives, I take her order, and I leave.

She show was supposed to start at 6 p.m. I finally got in my car at 8:15 p.m. So much wasted time!!

She did have a few other outside orders, so she is over $150 (thank goodness) but it was a total waste of my time! I could have been home at 4 p.m. and instead I was home at 9:30 p.m. I missed a whole day with my son.

Here's my, "I can't believe they did that" story.

I had a person at a show schedule their own show for about three weeks out. I gave her a host kit at the show. I had a little trouble getting hold of her to follow up. I tried calling at various times of day, but got either an answering machine or a child telling me, "Mommy's asleep." I do a lot of my host coaching through postcards, so I was frustrated, but not too concerned. She seemed very excited about the show when she booked.

When I finally got hold of her, about three days before the show, she said she needed to reschedule for the week after. No problem. I told her I would call her a day or two before to see how many guests she was expecting.

When I tried calling back I got the answering machine over and over. I left detailed messages each time. Finally, three hours before I was to arrive at her home, I got her teenage daughter. Mom was asleep. I explained who I was and why I was calling. She said she didn't think her mom had anything planned for that evening. I asked if it was at all possible to talk directly to her. The daughter went to get my host.

Are you ready for this?

She said, "My show was last week."

I said, "Yes, that's when it was originally scheduled, but you asked me to change it to today."

Her: "I did? Well, I guess I forgot. I thought it was last week."

Me: "Oh, my gosh! So you thought I just didn't show up?"

Her: "Yeah."

Me: "I'm so sorry. Did you have guests waiting?"

Her: "Yeah. One."

Me: "Well, again, I'm so sorry about the mix-up. Do you want to reschedule?"

Her: "No. My schedule's kind of crazy."

I finished with my standard stuff about knowing where to find me if she ever needed anything.

Once I got my jaw picked up off the floor, I thanked the good Lord that I was rid of this woman. I mean, if I were waiting for a consultant, I'd be calling if she weren't there within 15 minutes or so of when she said she'd arrive! I can still picture her and her guest sitting in comfy chairs saying, "Gee, I wonder where that Pampered Chef lady is."

The host she booked from told me that she does that kind of thing a lot. If you talk to her right after she wakes up she doesn't remember anything of the conversation. At least it doesn't sound like she's going around bad-mouthing me for not showing up. Like I said--glad to be rid of her!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one things like this have happened too, as horrible as that is! I hope it just means that something great will happen instead!

This is why I do alot of catty shows!!!! My director says I'd make way more money if I didn't. I think that she thinks that I'm lazy, I'm not I run another full time business and don't have time for other people to waste my time. I did a show as a favor to my director just after I started PC and this exact thing happened to me. Once person showed, and a $16.00 order later....................

This used to happen to me, and that is why I started mailing out invitations myself! Since I started doing this - I have very few cancellations, and when I do have cancellations, they are either for some type of emergency, or I know about the cancellation well in advance of the show. I let hosts know that I need their guest list either emailed or snail mailed to me no later than 2 weeks before their show - I send them a reminder postcard, and also do a phone call reminder. I tell them that if I don't have their list by that date - I will assume that the show is cancelled. Hosts love that I do this for them. Right now, I have 10 shows booked for Nov., and already have guest lists for 6 of them! That assures me that the shows will hold - and that makes me happy!

Ditto to chefbeckyd!!! I started mailing invites this year too, and cancellations/reschedules have dropped to two this year. and both of them I knew about 2 months out! I also have 9 shows scheduled for nov and have rcvd guest lists for 5 of them. (one just booked tonight)

Although, I can't say that I still haven't had bummer shows. sat was classic example, although she is at about $200 in sales, so not complete waste of time,(plus I like to get away and let hubby take care of little one once in awhile:)) This show was also one that was handed to me and I wasn't expecting much from hostess--sometimes you can just feel or read the hostess over the phone and I had this one pegged exactly right. oh well!

Well I have a woman schedualed for Nov. 10th and have been trying to get into contact w/ her and she just won't answer her phone or respond to my messages. She seemed excited and had purchased fundraiser stuff off my younger brother (he's in 2nd grade) Well my mom can't even find her- it like she disapeared!! So my mom sent back the fundraiser stuff and I am going to try to find someone else to do that date for a show. I am done trying, I know that sounds horrible but If she hasn't made any effort then the show obviously won't do very well. I do not need a pitty show and have too many other things to worry about! Sorry that happened to you! If they aren't going to put forth the effort then why don't they just let you know?? It's not like we are going to hunt you down. We have families and could be spending time w/ them or doing a better show!
Melissa
(that sounds mean doesn't it??)

I don't have one, but I've heard on a tape or read someplace that some consultants include a letter in their host packs (or mail it separately so that it's more likely to be noticed and read) that says that this is a business, and non-productive shows are essentially lost income. They then request the host to find a replacement host for that date if she has to cancel.

Anyone here use one of these letters? And has it improved the effort your hosts make?

I did a Boutique 2 weeks ago and one of the vendors! came to my booth and look and said I would love to have a show! I said ok! lets' book. she gave me her cell and said to call her the next day for a date. ok! well I been calling ever since :( I got her last nite said please call me back in 2 mins. I said okay. welllll....... I am still calling . I stop .....

I did an event, had a woman tell me that she wanted to host a show, I pulled out my calendar, she said, I need to go home and check. I called her and then NOTHING! It happens!Jaye :)

Related to Why Did Only One Person Show Up at My Promised PartyLite Event?

1. What is "Griping... so Forgive Me!"?

"Griping... so Forgive Me!" is a specialized kitchen tool designed by Pampered Chef to easily and comfortably remove the skin and seeds from fruits and vegetables.

2. How does "Griping... so Forgive Me!" work?

The tool features a serrated blade that easily cuts through the skin of fruits and vegetables, while the curved design allows for a comfortable grip and easy maneuvering. The seeds and skin are then easily removed with a simple twisting motion.

3. Is "Griping... so Forgive Me!" dishwasher safe?

Yes, "Griping... so Forgive Me!" is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. However, we recommend hand washing for longer product durability.

4. What types of fruits and vegetables can "Griping... so Forgive Me!" be used on?

"Griping... so Forgive Me!" is versatile and can be used on a variety of fruits and vegetables, such as tomatoes, peaches, kiwis, and more. It is not recommended for use on harder vegetables like carrots or potatoes.

5. Does "Griping... so Forgive Me!" come with a warranty?

Yes, "Griping... so Forgive Me!" comes with a limited lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. If you encounter any issues with your tool, please contact our customer service for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • pamperedchef88
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Ish
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies