• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Who Are You Remembering This Weekend?

My father-PFC Joseph C. Manning, artillery forward spotter, who survived beach landings in the Pacific theater of WWII. Thank you for your service and thank you for coming home. Semper Fi.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
This thread was inspired by a local talk show host, who every year at this time, opens up his phone lines to people to express their memories and memorials to those veterans who made sacrifices in their own lives, or made the supreme sacrifice, to serve our country, and fought to preserve our way of life.

Please, no political statements and no protests, just memorials to veterans.

I'll start.

To John Bradley, a funeral director from Antigo, Wisconsin, a dedicated medic who survived Iwo Jima. One of my proudest moments in life was to meet you. Thank you for your service, and thank you to your son James, who wrote your story in Flags Of Our Fathers.

To my friend, Bill Jensen, who never came home from Viet Nam. You are still missed.

To my great-grandfathers, David Culver and his son David Culver, who fought in the American Revolution. Thank you for helping found our country.

To my great-grandfather David Manning, and my great-uncle, his brother Richard, veterans of the Civil War. Thank you for your service.

To my father, Pfc Joseph C. Manning, artillery forward spotter, who survived beach landings in the Pacific theater of WWII. Thank you for your service and thank you for coming home. Semper Fi.

You may all be gone, but not forgotten.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif

My late father, PFC Edwin S. Grant Jr., US Army - served during peace time but got to take Elvis around Germany and still did his duty!A family friend, Capt. Christian Skogland, Army Blackhawk Pilot, died November 8, 2007 in a Blackhawk crash.A cousin, SFC David Haack, US Army, current active duty for 4 years - stateside....and to other family members who have served in the past and to all of you on Chef Success serving yourself or with spouses serving!!!!I was thinking recently of changing my picture on the left, but I am leaving it now!

Last edited:
My military brothers and sisters in combat right now. Those who are unable to enjoy yet another holiday with family.

Particularly the six that died in Diyala in a houseborne IED this past January. I was on the same mission. Luck does not favor the brave. I have never known a less fortunate day.

God bless you and God bless our country, for we are fortunate enough to have volunteer heroes who sacrifice daily without thanks.

First- to my late Father- PFC Robert A , Jr. For his service in the US Army.

Second- to my late Grandfather- Lt. Colonel Robert A. , Sr. For his service in the US Army.

Third, to my late Grandmother- Lt. Colonel Edna M. r- for her service in the US Army

Fourth- to my Husband. MSgt John A. for his 23+ years of service to our country and for serving in the first Gulf War.

Fifth- to my Stepson (I just know he's an E-4) Joshua D. for serving 14 months in Iraq on the front lines for the US Army.

5th- For my Grandfather John. J. for his service in the Army-Air Corp as a Navigator during WWII

6th for my StepGrandfather, Stanley W. for his service in the US Navy during WWII- abroad

7th for my Stepfather, Ronald S. Smith for his service in the US Navy

And we will be flying our flag high for all those still in service and for all those that were in service-

I'm a military brat, and had it not been for an almost debilitating injury during Basic Training, I'd be a Fuel Systems Mechanic on fighter jets- an dI'd more than likely be in Iraq right now!

We love all of you past and present who served- may you be blessed, remembered, and know that you are appreciated.

And, prayers to those MIA and POW's and their families.

Last edited:
First-for my amazing husband, Capt Perry Smith, USMC for 17 years of service to our country.
Second-to my sorely missed and so loved friend, Gysgt Terry W Ball, USMC for the ultimate sacrifice
Third- for both my grandfathers and my Uncle John for their service.

My Brother - USMC Lt. Colonel Stan Sober - who just this week found out he is being deployed to Iraq as an Educator & Trainer.....Family friend - USMC Private Jimmy Daldos, who just finished Basic Training, and will be making his way to Iraq.My Dad - Army Sargent Eldon Sober - for his service in the Korean WarFor all the Men and Women who are sacrificing so much for our country & freedom. Remembering them, and praying for their safety.

For my Dh's 10 years of silent service 100's of feet below the ocean surface.
For Thomas Vandine and John Hawkins serving in the US Navy.
To our many friends and their fmailies who have served and are still serving their country.

My wonderful husband, a West Point Grad, who in in the Active Reserves.

My late grandfather who served during WWII.

To those who are serving currently and have served and paid the ultimate sacrafice, thank you for serving and keeping our nation FREE.

Thanks Kitchen Guy for starting this thread. Too often I had thought of this as just another holiday and day off from work. Several years ago, I really started to appreciate the meaning of Memorial Day. I am so thankful for the sacrifices other have made for me and our country. Thank you granddad! Joe Martin who served during WWII I still remember his war stories and try very hard not to forget them.

etteluap70PC said:
For my Dh's 10 years of silent service 100's of feet below the ocean surface.
For Thomas Vandine and John Hawkins serving in the US Navy.
To our many friends and their fmailies who have served and are still serving their country.
Paulette, if you haven't already done so, take a ride east on US 10 to Manitowoc sometime.http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/sub.jpg
USS Cobia, GATO Class WWII SubmarineIt's part of the Maritime Museum in Manitowoc and is tied up in the Manitowoc River. 28 submarines were built here by Manitowoc Shipbuilding during WWII. Four were lost in battle, the other 24 have all been scrapped. While the Cobia was built by the Electric Boat Company, and not by Manitowoc, it is representative of those ships that served gallantly in the Pacific.The Manitowoc submarines were launched into the Manitowoc River and sailed, by their crews, to Lake Michigan where sea trials were performed. The submarines were then put on barges, floated to Chicago, down the Chicago River to Cal-Sag canal to the Illinois River, to the Mississippi River, and launched into the Gulf of Mexico - where often German U-Boats awaited them. They then went through the Panama Canal to the Pacific for duty.

For my father, RET CDR Miller, a dedicated military man who loves his family and loves this country just as much. He was born and raised in Germany and moved to the US at age 14. Learned English as a second language while in high school, became a US citizen, attended the Naval Academy and served in the US Navy for 21 years before retiring in 1997. He served two tours in Operation Desert Storm. He always set the example for my brother and I that one person really can make a difference, and he's always been our own hero.

For those who have served, those currently serving and those who will serve in the future, we salute you and say THANK YOU.

To my Grandpa who served in WWII. He has been gone for over 8 yrs now and I still miss him terribly.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Paulette, if you haven't already done so, take a ride east on US 10 to Manitowoc sometime.

http://www.wisconsinmaritime.org/sub.jpg
USS Cobia, GATO Class WWII Submarine

It's part of the Maritime Museum in Manitowoc and is tied up in the Manitowoc River. 28 submarines were built here by Manitowoc Shipbuilding during WWII. Four were lost in battle, the other 24 have all been scrapped. While the Cobia was built by the Electric Boat Company, and not by Manitowoc, it is representative of those ships that served gallantly in the Pacific.

The Manitowoc submarines were launched into the Manitowoc River and sailed, by their crews, to Lake Michigan where sea trials were performed. The submarines were then put on barges, floated to Chicago, down the Chicago River to Cal-Sag canal to the Illinois River, to the Mississippi River, and launched into the Gulf of Mexico - where often German U-Boats awaited them. They then went through the Panama Canal to the Pacific for duty.

Very cool! Thanks KG! I have seen subs in various forms of dissaray... They are overhauled at the small base where I grew up PNSY (Portsmouth Naval Ship yard) I have many relatives who work/have worked there and serve in that capacity. The Nautilis has a permanent home as a museum in my home town as well. And I am somewhat sad to say I spent way too much time in Groton CT. Ok I admit.... I liked hanging arround with the sailors.. But that's another thread. :angel: :blushing:

Last edited:
Do you have any idea how difficult it is for me to NOT post my WAVE photo after that set-up? I am trying to maintain at least the appearance of a serious thread here. ;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Do you have any idea how difficult it is for me to NOT post my WAVE photo after that set-up? I am trying to maintain at least the appearance of a serious thread here. ;)

Hey, I used the Maple Leaf Waver photo today...long story short, we have a photo contest at work and not the most "clean" photos came in. One is floating around work that is a guy in make-up and his dog. Well, that brought up the Maple Leaf Guy so he is now getting famous as well...

...must be a Friday...

This will sound stupid I think but I'm remembering the "un"remembered. Does that make sense? All those who noone will mention... those noone will talk about.... those whom I think of every time I stand with my hand over my heart and sing or hear the national anthem....

This is a great thread...so I've been hesitant to post. Memorial Day though, is actually intended to be a day to honor those who have fallen in service to our country. Up until a couple weeks ago, I don't think I would have given this distinction a second thought (and would be adding my own veteran family members to this thread as well).

But I recently got an in-the-chest education on what Memorial Day is really all about. I did a fundraiser for a group of women who have all lost a son or daughter in military service. While many have served, these are the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice...the finality of that became a lot more real for me when I met these women. I got the gist from some of them that they wished more people would remember that Memorial Day is meant to honor the country's service members who have died in conflict...which is why I decided to type this post.

There are, gratefully, no war dead in my family to honor and remember (though many of us have served). So, regardless of one's view of current conflicts, I'd thought I'd share the following link. It's but one reminder of what some have given.

http://www.stripes.com/08/mar08/iraq5/fallen.pdf

Not trying to put a pill on this thread KG, I think it's awesome, but these ladies refocused my perspective on Memorial Day

Last edited:
quiverfull7 said:
This will sound stupid I think but I'm remembering the "un"remembered. Does that make sense? All those who noone will mention... those noone will talk about.... those whom I think of every time I stand with my hand over my heart and sing or hear the national anthem....

No- that does not sound stupid at all! It sounds like a very good thing to remember!

Thank you, Leggy, for bringing this back to what it should be.This started out as "Decoration Day" when families of veterans went to the cemetery to place memorials on the graves of those who died in the War To End All Wars, which later became known as WW I. My grandmother called it Decoration Day up until the day she died, in 1971.After WW II, it became Memorial Day to honor the fallen of both wars.In time, it expanded to honor all veterans who served, and to the survivors who have passed away since coming home from serving. While I cannot get to Antigo to visit Mom & Dad this weekend, I do intend to get there, and make sure that an American flag flies over Dad's grave, along with the others.That is Memorial Day as I celebrate it, but understand, I respect your viewpoint of the day, as well.For those of you who have loved ones in harm's way right now - this is not to take anything away from you or your loved ones. I will be thinking of them on Monday, also on the 31st, which will ALWAYS be Memorial Day to me. I will also be thinking of them again in November, on Armed Services Day.Diane, one place I always make sure I visit when I am in Washington is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It makes me think of all of the other unknowns in battle who never seem to get the recognition they deserve as well, from corpsmen to the company clerk to the guys who make sure there is correct air pressure in aircraft landing gear. They all serve and they all deserve our thoughts and prayers.

For those interesting in knowing more about Memorial Day...

http://www1.va.gov/opa/speceven/memday/history.asp#hist

(this link also tells the story of why poppies have the memorial symbolism they do)

Last edited:
Thank you for correcting me - my history came from my grandmother, and since she was born in 1898, she didn't know about the Civil War background of Decoration Day, or at least, never told me about it. The GAR Highway is US 6, designated as a transcontinental route in 1925, that runs parallel to the Lincoln Highway. (In fact, they run exactly one mile apart for four miles, west of Ligonier, Indiana.) Both memorial highways had their names prohibited in 1926, but both roads are still known by, and referred to as, their original names.

Thanks KG.

To my Grandfather (US Navy) & Grandmother (US Army- R.N.)

To my Father in-law - whom I nor my husband ever met. He was killed in Vietnam while my MIL was pregnant.

I thought you would like the site...I find the history fascinating...and incredibly moving. (No intentions to correct you; I think we share a similar respect for what has been.) :)

I also found out that US 6 was designated at the GAR Highway in 1953 - 27 years after named highways were made illegal. I'm just a fountain of misinformation today. :)

High school friend William Keeler, a paratrooper who was killed during his 2nd tour in Vietnam.

I wish stores were not open on such holidays. It seems many people treat the day as just another day off and fail to remember in reverence exactly what the meaning is.

I'm with you on this one, Endora. The holiday was cheapened, IMHO, when it was moved from the 30th to the last Monday of the month. At that point, it became just another postal carrier's day off.

I don't have any family members that passed during service, a few that have served though. I'm just grateful for them all.

Last week, my girls & I, and my mom got to witness a cool site. The "race for the wall" made a stop at a truck stop here. About 300-400 motorcycle riders got off the interstate & stopped. We sat on the side of the road & waved at them all. It was pretty awesome. (they are riding across the country from CA to DC to the Veterans' Memorial, in case you haven't heard of it)

Excellent thread.

Remembering a few distant relatives that served in WWII.

Anthony "Tony" Shine who crashed his plane in Hanoi less than 2 months before the Vietnam War ended. Tony's 3 siblings also served in Vietnam. The youngest was killed via a land mine. The other brother also was wounded but lives a full life today. Their sister, Nancy, bravely served as an nurse in Vietnam. Nancy was not wounded, however, I am sure their are memories that she will never forget.

Strength, courage and prayers for safe returns for all of my former and current Fort Drum families.

If anyone is ever near Buffalo, NY stop and see their Navel Museum. You can tour the USS Little Rock, USS Croaker and USS The Sullivans.

TH USS Croaker is a submarine. WOW is all I can say. How these men lived in those confined areas is beyond me!

USS The Sullivans, named for five brothers who lost their lives in the Battle of the Solomon Islands when their ship sunk, is an excellent example of the Fletcher class, the largest and most important class of U.S. destroyers in World War II. The Sullivans served with distinction in WWII, took part in intense combat in the Marshalls, Carolines, Mariannas, and Philippines, rescued many survivors from downed planes and damaged or sinking ships, and earned nine battle stars for her service.

The Sullivans also served in the Korean War, the Cuban Blockade and assisted in the rescue efforts for the nuclear submarine USS Thresher.

A bit of information that I just learned. I will copy and paste this:

Is it true that ... Congress passed the Sullivan Act to prohibit family members from serving together on the same ship or in the same military unit?

The answer is no. There is no such act or law, although there were several bills introduced in Congress regarding family members serving together. None of those bills were enacted into law, but there are military policies in place to discourage immediate family members from serving together.

The so-called Sullivan Act derives its name from the five Sullivan brothers; George Thomas, Francis "Frank" Henry, Joseph "Joe" Eugene, Madison "Matt" Abel, and Albert "Al" Leo; who enlisted in the Navy on the same day, January 3, 1942. The Waterloo, Iowa natives enlisted with the stipulation that they serve together. They were assigned to the same ship, the U.S.S. Juneau, which was torpedoed and sank on November 13, 1942, during the Battle of Guadalcanal. All five died. It is interesting to note that there were at least thirty pairs of brothers on board the ship, including four Rogers brothers from New Haven, Connecticut. The Naval Historical Center maintains additional information on the Sullivan brothers and the legacy left by their efforts.

I can not imagine their poor families that were delivered the news that all five sons died.

The Sullivans (1944) was a movie starring Anne Bancroft and Ward Bond that told the story of "The Fighting Sullivans." It is a stirring movie.The Sullivans on the Internet Movie Data Base.

The story of the Four Chaplains is another WWII legacy that always moves me everytime I hear it...

http://www.fourchaplains.org/story.html

A few years back when my kids were a bit younger and still enjoyed parades, we went to the parade in my home town. It was so sad. Barely any veterans and barely any spectators honoring them. One of my son's cried because it lasted all of 5 minutes or less. I'm hoping to find a parade we can go to so my kids, who are now 12 and 11, will understand this isn't just about getting a day off from school. They go to a private school and my 6th grader still didn't really talk about Memorial Day. (I've had a hard time with the 6th grade social studies teacher, this year. He needs to move on.)

Anyway, I don't have any friends or relatives that I'm aware of who have lost their lives or lost someone in service to our country. Thanks to everyone else for posting who they are remembering.

I am remembering my father who was in Korea and passed away seven years ago at the very young age of 68. Also a very good friend of mine who served in Iraq for two years. He might have to go back for another tour by the end of the year. I really hope we can get our men and woman out of Iraq soon.

Dadsarmypic.jpg

I am remembering my dad who died last month on April 3rd.

I am also remembering many other family members and friends that have served and are still currently serving. I am so greatful to all who sacrifice their lives to protect our country.

Sorry the pic is so big! I couldn't shrink it!

My family is blessed to have never lost a loved one while on active duty. I will be remembering all of those whose families experienced that loss. Thank you for making the ultimate sacrifice for me and my family.

Remembering my father-in-law, who survived 2 tours of duty with the Marines in Viet Nam. Brought home a lot of baggage, both mental and physical, and died far too young as a result. Dad - I miss you every day and wish you were still with us.

I would like to pay tribute to all the men and women who have lost their lives, got injured, or enlisted to fight for our freedom. I honor all of you and I thank you ! Bless you and the US!

Remembering my grandfather, Jesse Papale, who served on the USS Santa Fe in the Pacific. WWII buffs will know the Santa Fe as the "Lucky Lady" - the only light cruiser to sustain NO casualties during the war. It's also a great book by Steve Jackson. The most famous story about the Santa Fe is that they stopped to help the USS Franklin when it was attacked by WWII kamikaze bombers. The Franklin lost over 900 men that day, but would have lost all of their men if it had not been for the brave efforts of the men of the Santa Fe. I'm glad I took the time to ask my grandfather about his time in the war - he looked back on it very serenely and wisely, and told me interesting stories that I will never forget. He died in 2000 after his 50th anniversary with my grandmother. He never missed a Memorial Day service before his death, and stayed close with every VFW he lived close to his entire life.

I'll be thinking of and praying for all of our brave solders this weekend.

There's so very many for me... and this year has to be the most heartbreaking of all...

First, foremost, and so near and very dear to my heart: My close friend, CPL Jessica Ellis (US ARMY) who perished in an IED explosion on Sunday, May 11, 2008, in Baghdad, Iraq. The world is just not the same without you here Jess.

Second: My dear husband, SGT Bruce Hillway (US ARMY). He is a member of the same unit as Jessica, and is still deployed to Iraq.

Third: My best friends husband, a Chief Petty Officer in the US NAVY.

Fourth: My Brother in Law, SGT Karl Hillway (US ARMY).

Fifth: All our brothers and sister currently serving, or who previously served, in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, any of their respective Reserve Branches, the Army National Guard, the Air National Guard, and the Coast Guard. For bravely serving.

Sixth: My father, who served in the Navy during Vietnam.

Seventh: My father in law, who served in the Army.

You are all my HEROES and I salute you.

I remember my Grandfather, US Army vet who passed away 11 yrs ago.

And I honor my boyfriend, currently depolyed in Kuwait.

Today I honor my grandfather, who fought in Europe in WWII. I honor another grandfather, who served during the war but never saw combat. I honor my cousin's husband, who served several turns through Iraq and Afghanistan and is now, for all intents and purposes, a civilian.I honor my grandfather's twin - while Grandpa was fighting in Europe, his twin fell in the pacific theatre on a small unnamed island... I never got to meet Uncle but I'm proud he served.

To my grandfather MSgt. Edward T. Skelly, who served in the Army during WWII & Korea & has been gone 25 yrs now

To our friend SRA Jeremy Taylor killed in the bombing of Khobar Towers, Saudi Arabia on June 25, 1996

To our friend MSgt William Kerwood, who died while serving in the Air Force in a Pave Low crash in Afghanistan November 23, 2003...we miss you everyday, rest now your job is done my friend. And to the men who died with him that day, Phillip Albert USA, Thomas Walkup, Jr USAF, Howard Walters USAF, Steven Plumhoff USAF.

To all those we've lost...Thank you for the sacrifice you made. We have our freedom because of you.

Last edited:

1. Who are we remembering this weekend?

We are remembering all of the veterans who have made sacrifices to serve our country and preserve our way of life.

2. How did this thread come about?

This thread was inspired by a local talk show host who opens up his phone lines every year for people to share their memories and memorials for veterans.

3. What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to provide a space for people to express their gratitude and honor for the sacrifices made by veterans.

4. Is this thread open for political statements or protests?

No, we ask that there be no political statements or protests in this thread, as it is intended to be a peaceful and respectful space for honoring veterans.

5. Can anyone be remembered in this thread?

Yes, anyone can be remembered in this thread as long as it is in honor of their service as a veteran. We welcome all respectful and heartfelt memorials.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefmoseley
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • gailz2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • quiverfull7