• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Where to Explore in Chicago: Suggestions for a Free Day

In summary, Ann and her director's director are flying into Midway Airport on Sunday July 13th. This gives them and entire day to see Chicago, as well as the nights after Conference. They have been to Chicago before and know that there is a lot to do in the city. They suggest Taste of Chicago, Navy Pier, and Michigan Avenue for shopping. They also recommend the Shedd Aquarium, Sears Tower, and the Blue Man Group.
chefmoseley
Gold Member
My director's director and I are flying into Midway around 10am on Sunday July 13th. This gives us and entire day to see Chicago in addition to the nights after Conference. What would you suggest? My director's director has been many times and says since it's my first year to Conference and my first year as a consultant we can go where ever I would like to go. Neither of us are shoppers, more like site seeing types... What are you doing the nights after conference or when you fly in early?

There won't really be a lot of time after conference on those days. Day 1, you'll have to get dinner for yourself, day 2 is Exec. Banquet, and many people leave town the afternoon/evening of Day 3. So you really only have Sunday. My cluster usually does a little window shopping on Michigan Avenue, including lunch at The Cheesecake Factory (we buy cheesecake for dessert, and walk back to the hotel with it to work it off). There's sometimes a festival going on in the parks. And Navy Pier has some fun stuff to do, too, including boat rides (Wednesday and Saturday nights there are fireworks).

You could go to a play. Last year Wicked was playing and one year we went to see Menopause. There are great museums a cab ride away from the hotels. Check out Chicago's website for more ideas.

As Ann said, there's Navy Pier and Magnificant Mile and possibly a lakefront festival.

You will have all of Sunday (unless your Executive Director does something) and Monday evening. Then it depends on when you are leaving town. If you stay over until Sunday you will have most of the afternoon and evening free on Saturday. So there is some time to do things around town.

Pampered Chef keeps us going most of the time though. Check out the schedule on CC. There are some times (like the first night) that are scheduled but don't include most people.

Ann,

Are you planning Cheffer get togethers again this year?? They were a lot of fun last year.

Maybe. Hadn't really started planning anything, because DH doesn't really want me to go to Conference this year (because of the expense. Don't get me started on how much he spends each year to go to stupid car shows - and he's FLYING to two of them this year! :grumpy: ).

Although, actually, I'd be in a better position for a Day 1 evening thing this year than last, because there will probably not be a large contingent from my upline's group there. And that's what caused dinner that night to be such a long, drawn out affair.

Take the Orange Line from Midway to the city.Once in the city, there is tons to do. Taste of Chicago might be going on in Grant Park. Michigan Ave and State St have tons of shopping. A river or lake cruise is always fun. Eat some Chicago style pizza.

Our group has gone a day early the past few years so we can sight-see. The Shedd Aquarium is awesome; we've also done the Sears Tower, Navy Pier, Michigan Ave is fun just to window shop.....there's so much fun stuff to do! Oh, & last year we went to the Blue Man Group; which was fun & interesting! I just love this once a year "vacation":)

We walked around Navy Peir last year and just walked up and down Michicgan Ave. Like Ann said, there isn't much time after conference. We usually grabbed a bite to eat and went back to the hotel to relax. One night a couple gals went to a jazz club but we stayed in.

Once you get to the hotel, you can always ask them for advice on where to go that's close and free.

All I know is that if I go this year, I don't want it to be like my previous product line, where we had national conference at a beautiful place in New England ... and I NEVER even saw the beach!In other words, I don't want to say, "they could have held this in Cleveland for all I saw of the city!"

If you want to see the city, you have to allow yourself the time. There isn't any built into the schedule, other than evening of Day 1. That's why a lot of people come into town a day ahead or stay an extra night at the end.

That's what we're doing ... and now I know why!

Great idea to come in a little early. I second all the suggestions -and recommend Millenium Park. It's free and awesome.

Have fun!

1. What are the must-see attractions in the area?

Some popular attractions in the area include the local botanical gardens, historic landmarks, and theme parks. We also recommend checking out any local festivals or events happening during your visit.

2. Where can I find the best restaurants in town?

Our top recommendations for restaurants in the area include the local seafood spots, farm-to-table eateries, and international cuisine options. Be sure to also ask the locals for their favorite hidden gems.

3. Are there any scenic drives or hikes nearby?

Yes, there are several scenic drives and hikes in the area that offer stunning views of the surrounding landscape. Some popular options include a drive along the coast or a hike through a nearby state park.

4. Which beaches are worth visiting?

There are many beautiful beaches in the area, but some of the most popular include the public beach with amenities like restaurants and rentals, the secluded beach perfect for a quiet day, and the family-friendly beach with calm waters.

5. What are some fun activities for families?

There are plenty of family-friendly activities in the area, such as visiting the local zoo or aquarium, going mini-golfing, or taking a boat tour. You can also check out any amusement parks or water parks in the area for a day of fun with the whole family.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ldynred7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • cookn' katie