• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's Your Show Average? Tips for Improving Sales as a New Consultant

In summary, Jennifer is trying to bump up her show average and advice her on ways to do so. She recommends focusing on attendance and outside orders, and not focusing on lower priced items. She also recommends selling higher priced items, and finding out what your show average is on the "Show Sales" report.
angmillar
One of my goals is to bump up my show average. I'm not sure what mine is right now, but I'd say around $400. I'm really starting to concentrate more on my knowledge of the products, since I know I don't mention enough about them (especially the cutlery, knives, etc.).

Any other ideas out there for a newbie like me??

My avg. is $525 - down from what it was a couple years ago.....but my director says it's still higher than most in our area. My attendance and orders per show have actually gone up! But $ per order has gone down.

I guess the biggest tips I have are to first focus on attendance and outside orders with your host coaching. I always coach my host to ask everyone who isn't able to attend if they would like to see a catalog/place an order....and give her a few items to point out to guests as being a "must have". I tell my hosts that most of my hosts add at least 2 levels to their show through their outside orders - and that they really do add up!

The other thing I do is to NEVER focus or spend much time talking about lower priced items! I always try to use cookware, stoneware, knives, & SA in every demo I do - and I talk in terms of "collections" and "families".......so if I talk about a scraper - I make sure I show them the whole family of scrapers. If I am using a prep bowl - I make sure and talk about the "family" of batter bowls and their many uses. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER will you hear me say that the mini spatula, or the mix n chop is my favorite product! My favorite products are always the Bar Pan, The 12" skillet, my forged cutlery utility knife...etc..........!!!
The small stuff - people find for themselves. Case in point - the mix n chop. I get 3-4 outside orders for those at every show! No selling skills or education on the product needed! Focus on the higher priced items, and educating your guests on the usage and why those products are going to make their time in the kitchen easier/quicker/more fun.

This summer I have hit a slump. My show average has been around $300 - $350. Down considerably from this time last year.

Mine is about $550. I TOTALLY agree about talking about the higher priced items. I need to focus on that more, myself. The other "gadgets" really do sell themselves!! :D

I do need to sell the higher priced items!! I always sell ton of micro-cookers, since I really love them, and I talk about how they got me through college. But, they're only $9!!

Thanks for the advice... I should start to focus more on the higher dollar items, especially since guests can get those for 1/2 off if they host!

Mine is $470 according to my incentives calculator.

I have a question about using the 1/2 price as host to get people to host a show. I want to mention at shows how the higher priced items can be used as a 1/2 price item for our hosts. But I don't want to make it seem like those same products aren't worth full price! How do you sell hosting a show, but still give those who never would host a reason to buy the product at full price?

jrstephens said:
Mine is $470 according to my incentives calculator.

Jennifer - FYI (and a little giggle added in) Everyone's is $470 on the incentive calculator!:D That is the national avg. On the calculator - you enter in your own info and then it calculates for you how many shows and how much $$ you have to sell per month to get the incentive you are working towards.

Go to PP (or P3 - don't know if this is an option there) and use the "Show Sales" report to find out what your show avg. is.;)

I think that a lot of people just like the idea they can save money by getting an item for half price. And, I think even more people just can't afford to pay full price for a lot of the items, especially the forged cutlery, etc.

If someone can pay full price, I think they'll just do it, without wanting to host. For example, at a show the other night, a gal bought one of the forged knives. She wants the entire set, so I suggested she host a show in August to get 2 at 60% off or get the set as a 1/2 off item. She just said that she didn't really enjoy hosting, so she'll just buy them as a guest special for 20% off in August.

ChefBeckyD said:
Jennifer - FYI (and a little giggle added in) Everyone's is $470 on the incentive calculator!:D That is the national avg. On the calculator - you enter in your own info and then it calculates for you how many shows and how much $$ you have to sell per month to get the incentive you are working towards.

Go to PP (or P3 - don't know if this is an option there) and use the "Show Sales" report to find out what your show avg. is.;)

THANKS BECKY!!!! I never knew that!!!! I will have to check when I get home tonight then! I had been wondering why it never changed, HA!!!! :D Laughing at my own self!:D :D

jrstephens said:
THANKS BECKY!!!! I never knew that!!!! I will have to check when I get home tonight then! I had been wondering why it never changed, HA!!!! :D Laughing at my own self!:D :D

You're welcome! I had to giggle because it's the type of thing I've done myself!

Mine is $570 this year and last year was $750 according to PP! Even though I've been doing the same number of shows (1-2 a month), I somehow had higher sales last year. Can't attribute it to doing anything different though...

In general I think I need to host coach better and emphasize outside orders. Maybe last year's hosts were more seasoned hostesses???

cat said:
Mine is $570 this year and last year was $750 according to PP! Even though I've been doing the same number of shows (1-2 a month), I somehow had higher sales last year. Can't attribute it to doing anything different though...

In general I think I need to host coach better and emphasize outside orders. Maybe last year's hosts were more seasoned hostesses???

For me - I know it's directly related to Michigan's Economy. The Local News Station is actually calling our economy "Michigan's Perfect Storm?!:eek:

I actually feel very fortunate (and blessed) that my show avg. and my bookings are still good!

Since starting almost 2 years ago - my average (for cooking shows) is $637 but this year alone I'm averaging $688! So I've been able to do fewer shows and not worry so much- however I know my fall is going to be big - I hope my average stays up!

One thing you want to look at is the show sales average in your area. In the Phila area, our typical show average is much higher than the national average - but your area might be different.

For me, I did a report for all 4 years I've been in business (I started in Aug. 03):

03-04: $528
04-05: $585
05-06: $617
06-07: $584

I was surprised to see that my show average actually went down in the last year, but not that surprised. I eased up a little on shows this year for personal reasons (and I'm gearing back up), but I have noticed a big "reign in" on spending lately, as well. I'm going to focus more on "add ons" at check out and selling collections during the show, so hopefully that will help!

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing!

My year to date so far is $597... but June was $792. I think it has everything to do with good host coaching. I work hard on that!

Yes I think if my hosts are motivated and really work their outside orders then my show numbers do go up - some hosts are especially good at getting a ton of outside orders.

Mine is only $300, but it is 2/3 catalog shows and I've had quite a few $150 ones to bring it down - catalog shows where people just want the host special. My cooking show average tends to be $300-$500 but I've only had a few. I'm hoping it will start to go up as I focus more. Any sales tend to be lower around here at various times.

Mine is up from my 1st year I was in the $457 range now it's $605!

PS. Rachel where have you been!? Long time no posting! How's your biz going these days?? You were boomin at the begiinning of your start, how are ya doing now!?

Last edited:
I'm down this year. :(

With gas prices & the trickling down effect it has, people just have less discretionary income and are scaling back. They weigh want vs. need,

Mine is up this year. ($600) from last year ( $554) I have been stressing larger attendance with my hosts and focusing only on products over $20 for the most part. Collections of products can increase your average, too. Always use stoneware and cookware at your shows. I know that sounds obvious but it wasn't for me the first few years. If a recipe calls for cooked chicken, cook it yourself before you set up your display, so that the pan has time to cook down to pass around. I just wipe it out with a couple of paper towels to show them how easy it is to clean and I get a lot of bookings for cookware because of showing it this way. Pan-o-rama here I come!!!!!

Mine is $430.

Working hard to increase my focus on products $25.00 or higher; would love to see my average get to $500.00 or more by end of this year.

For a long time I said that the show averages in my area were low due to our local economy and such....but, I am not convinced of that anymore. Why? I have 2 consultants in a small town whose jobless rate is over 38% due to a major plant closing a couple years ago and decline in logging industry. Both of these consultants have a show average of over $550.00 and have solid PC schedules. Due to high gas prices, these consultants rarely travel out of their town to do shows. When I sit down to talk to them about what they are doing at their shows, it is clear that they focus (unintentionally it sounds like) on higher priced items. One sells a lot of trifle bowls, mandoline and the salad spinner. The other sells tons of stoneware and simple additions. So...they are empowering ME to do the same.

Mine is $275 and almost all is from catalog shows. I've done 14 shows in the 12 months I've been doing this with all of my hosts being from out of state or being my immediate family.

How are you figuring what your averages are?

Can you separate cooking shows from catalog shows?

AveragesI just checked my averages using PP. Thanks - I didn't know I could do that!! Last year I had 12 shows with an average of $497 and so far this year I have 8 shows with an average of $441. I am curious as to how many shows each month most people have - like for instance, do most consultants earn the specials when it is submit 2 shows? I too think it is somewhat economy based - I know I am watching what I spend a little bit more.

In pampered partner there is a report called show sales in the print section. You can define by date ranges but not catalog vs. cooking shows. You would have to manually figure that out. I haven't changed to P3 yet so I don't know what to tell you on that. Maybe there is a way on P3.

dcypcar.chef said:
In pampered partner there is a report called show sales in the print section. You can define by date ranges but not catalog vs. cooking shows. You would have to manually figure that out. I haven't changed to P3 yet so I don't know what to tell you on that. Maybe there is a way on P3.

Show Sales report in PP does differentiate between Cooking & Catalog shows - You get a Show Avg. and a Non-Show Avg. - Catalog Shows are included in the Non-Show Avg.

Thanks!

I separated my Cooking & Catalog show averages:

2007:
Cooking avg $805.81
Catalog avg $272.06

2006:
Cooking avg $547.47
Catalog avg $201.29

Before you ask, I'll tell ya....I totally belive that the increase in my show average is sending the invitations for my host! I have only had one cancellation this year (after the invites were sent) and that was because my host broke her leg 2 days before her show. My shows hold and I have higher attendance with sending the invites. I think this is because since the host doesn't have to do it herself she will give you tons of addresses (because she isn't writing the invites or paying for postage). If you haven't tried this yet I encourage you to do so.

For the last year:

Cooking: $575

Catalog: $300*

*I took out the $950 catty in order to get a true average. That host definitely deserves a category all her own.

My average is $750. I rarely have catalog shows. You would almost think that a catty show would be big since all the host has to do is take orders!

Depressed nowNow that I did it right, it is $314. It was $519 until I started having cancellations in May and June and had not time for July. I have had a lot of catalog shows here lately and that has brought my average done. I really thought it was higher than that. Oh well, my checks still seem good! ha!

Last edited:
The incentive tracker says $470 although with new shows, it never seems to fluctuate.

chefjwr said:
The incentive tracker says $470 although with new shows, it never seems to fluctuate.

I'm pretty sure that the $470 is the company average. We all have that. You can change it to actually reflect your show avg. and then when you recalculate the with your show avg. it will show you what you have to do to reach a certain incentive.

The $470 is the national average. I found that out today when I post it as my average and Becky told me about it and then went and ran the Show Sales Report in P3 to get my real one.

I personally like the $470 better than mine of $314!

1. What is a show average and why is it important?

A show average refers to the average sales amount per party or show. It is important because it helps you track your progress and success as a consultant. A higher show average means more sales and higher commission for you.

2. How can I find out my current show average?

You can find out your show average by dividing your total sales amount by the number of parties or shows you have done. For example, if you have made a total of $4000 in sales from 10 parties, your show average would be $4000/10 = $400.

3. What are some tips for improving my show average?

One way to improve your show average is to focus on product knowledge and highlighting the features and benefits of each product during your demonstrations. This will help customers see the value in the products and increase their likelihood of making a purchase. Additionally, offering special promotions or discounts and providing excellent customer service can also help increase your show average.

4. How can I effectively promote Pampered Chef's cutlery and knives during my shows?

Make sure to mention the high-quality materials and craftsmanship of the cutlery and knives, as well as the lifetime guarantee that Pampered Chef offers. You can also demonstrate the products and let customers try them out for themselves. Share personal experiences or testimonials from satisfied customers to showcase the benefits of these products.

5. Any other advice for a new consultant looking to increase their show average?

Don't be afraid to ask for help or advice from more experienced consultants. Attend training sessions and workshops to learn new techniques and strategies for increasing sales. Also, make sure to follow up with customers after the show to thank them for their support and offer any additional assistance or product recommendations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
finley1991
  • JAE
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
katie0128
Replies