• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's on the Menu for Tonight?

In summary, the flatpies were amazing. The pasta was cooked to perfection and the tomato mixture added a delicious flavor. The flatpies were easy to make and a great meal to enjoy.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Well- I'm sure almost everyone is doing the BBQ thing or the picnic thing- but I wanted to see if anyone out there was actually going to be slaving in their kitchen tonight, and if so- what delicious things will you be making?

Tonight we are having Italian Sausage-n-cheese Flatpies with a huge chef salad.

It's a recipe from a new cookbook I bought and they look DELISH! I'll let you know how they turn out!

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone!

Well, for a late lunch the kids had hot dogs and I had a salmon spiral stuffed with crab, etc. on the grill. (No I didn't do the work, I bought it that way.) :)For dinner, I don't know...I didn't get my roast in on time to let it slow cook...I went and played softball after church instead. It felt good to play - I felt out of shape, one of the guys who did the Ironman a few months ago and manages a gym said I was already in "mid-season" form. (Yes, that is a compliment...)

Softball is a fun game to play- I'm at pre-preseason shape right now! :) Maybe even benchwarmer-shape. :) LOL

It's very humid here today- so I'm glad I don't have to use the oven for very long to make those flatpies!

Kitchen Diva said:
Softball is a fun game to play- I'm at pre-preseason shape right now! :) Maybe even benchwarmer-shape. :) LOL

It's very humid here today- so I'm glad I don't have to use the oven for very long to make those flatpies!

I was feeling "pre-preseason"...but I did work out just a twinge over the last few months (not that often) trying to make sure I wasn't TOTALLY out of shape when I recertify my lifeguarding this year! I feel self-conscious enough with my baby gut - don't want the young kids to show me up TOO much!

I have a hard time believing you have a baby gut! I have a small village gut!

Last edited:
No barbecue here. We went to The Olive Garden before doing a little shopping.

We ate a hodge-podge of leftovers! Needed to clean some containers out of the fridge.

Oh - and really good peaches for dessert!

raebates said:
No barbecue here. We went to The Olive Garden before doing a little shopping.

Oh, Olive Garden...I miss that place...I haven't had Olive Garden in about 9 years!

The nearest one to us is in Kokomo, which is about 35 miles south. We needed to go to Target (for a baby gift) and Menards (for a wedding gift--yes, they have a wedding registry). For us Olive Garden is a fairly quick meal and a step up from fast food. I can generally make healthy choices there. The Capellini Pomodoro is light and really tasty.

I love their salads. The two dishes that I really liked there, they discontinued. DH is a picky Italian, and does not like eating there. I would take my business clients to Olive Garden for lunch- that way I could get my fill, and DH would not have to be dragged somewhere he didn't like. :)

Supper is in the oven, and I even made a summer berry flatpie for dessert- I think we'll top it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream... Mmmmm

I'm making meatloaf, italian bread I got at the store, and either a potato of some sort or macoroni salad if I get to making it. Tomorrow- I have no idea.

:)

raebates said:
The nearest one to us is in Kokomo, which is about 35 miles south. We needed to go to Target (for a baby gift) and Menards (for a wedding gift--yes, they have a wedding registry). For us Olive Garden is a fairly quick meal and a step up from fast food. I can generally make healthy choices there. The Capellini Pomodoro is light and really tasty.

Ooh, I used to make that all the time at home!

I'll have to make it again soon! Thanks for reminding me!!!!

DS and I went to the local Italian Restaurant, I had Eggplant Rolatini and DS had spaghetti.

Capellini PomodoroPrep Time:
10 minutes
Cook Time:
10 minutesIngredients
14 oz capellini pasta (angel hair)
8 medium tomatoes, cut into ½” pieces
11 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
6 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to tasteProcedures
1. COOK capellini pasta according to package directions.
2. MIX diced tomatoes, chopped basil, garlic and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. DRAIN pasta. Toss pasta with tomato mixture in a sauté pan and heat throughout.
4. SERVE immediately.

ribs on the smoker
chicken on the grill
baked beans
grilled corn
homemade salsa and chips (my sons college room mate is here and loves my salsa)
watermelon
potato salad
hot rolls

The flatpie ROCKED!Okay the flatpie I made tonight was SOOOO incredibly good! I even made a summer berry one for dessert.

Not to pat myself on the back or anything- but for the most part, I am truly gifted in the kitchen. My mother HATES cooking, my grandma cooked- but wasn't willing to teach, and my other grandparents lived 1300 miles away, so I didn't learn any cooking from that grandma.

Anywho- if anyone is interested in the "recipes" let me know and I'll post them. :) Mmmmm warm summer berries wrapped in puff pastry and served with vanilla ice cream. :)

Teresa Lynn said:
ribs on the smoker
chicken on the grill
baked beans
grilled corn
homemade salsa and chips (my sons college room mate is here and loves my salsa)
watermelonpotato salad
hot rolls

Watermelon is my favorite fruit, but sadly I am so allergic to it that my throat closes up with just one bite- I read online that people with ragweed allergies can't eat cantalopes and other melons because they are from the ragweed family- I can't touch any type of mellon without needing to be rushed to the ER. It's so sad, too! It just started about 10 years ago.

I love watermelon and miss it sooo much!!!

Post the recipes please Kacey - now, you knew that was coming!

does anyone have the new tony danza cookbook yet?

we went to a b-day party at the park and had pizza and jersey mikes.
I hate horrible this weekend. I walked 5 times yesterday and 5 times today to walk off all the food I have eaten this weekend.
I am making pulled pork BBQ tomorrow or family.

mmmmmm we had BBQ beef ribs, mashed potatoes made in Rice cooker(yum) and corn! It was delicious!

Flat Pie recipesOkay, here are the recipes. They are a very simple and basic dish- but they have a few steps, which make them a wee bit time consuming- but I was able to make a salad in between my dinner pie, and clean up my mess after making the dessert flat pie.

Italian Sausage & Provolone Flat Pie

One sheet of puff pastry (I used Pepperidge Farms) thawed according to package directions.
1 TB EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
3/4 pound (sweet or hot) Italian sausage, casings removed
1 1/2 cups grated provolone cheese (I used 3/4 cup of mozzerella and 3/4 cups of provolone)
1 large egg, lightly beaten mixed with 1 tsp cold water

Line a baking sheet withparchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, unfold the pastry dough, and use a floured rolling pin to roll it into a rectangle about 15 by 10 inches. Cut the rectangle in half, so that you have two 10x7 1/2 inch rectangles. Transfer the rectangles to the baking sheet and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the EVOO in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and brown for about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate (to remove even more fat, I just put the meat in a collinder and rinsed it with water, drained it well, then put it on some paper towles to finish draining.

Sppon the sausage onto one of the pastry rectangles, leaving a 1 inch border all around. Top with the cheese. Using a pastry brush, brush the border with the egg. Lay the second rectangle of pastry over the filling and press gently to seal. Stick back in the fridge for 20 minutes (or up to two hours)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Coat the entire top of the pastry with the remaining egg wash. Using our pizza cutter, trim the edges of the pastryso that they are uniform, and gently cut 5 3-inch vents in the top, being careful not to pierce the bottom layer.
Bake, rotating once for 35-40 minutes, until the crust is deep golden brown and the pastry has puffed. Let it cool for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

One rectangle will feed 3 adults- and I made a giant chef salad to go with this. (we fed 3 adults and one 4 year old, but I think the three of us would have liked slightly larger slices)

Summer Berry Flat Pie

1 square of frozen puff pastry (Pepperidge Farms comes with two per box, so just use the left over one from the above recipe)
1 bag of Dole FROZEN mixed summer berries (my bag had strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries) slightly frozen/half thawed
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
1 TB all purpose flour
1/2 tsp orange zest
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp orange juice
2 pinches ground cinnamon (not more than 1/4 tsp)
1 egg slightly beaten
1 TB granulated sugar
1 TB cold butter, cut into small squares

Put slightly frozen berries in our classic batter bowl, and add the sugar, flour, orange zest, lemon juice and cinnamon. Stir until combined. Put in the fridge for about 10 minutes to macerate. (let all the juices and sugars combine with the fruit and create some liquid.)

Prepare your puff pastry the same way as the above recipe. Roll it out on a floured surface to a 10x15 square- put on a baking sheet, refrigerate for 20 minutes, take out, add the berry mixture to one rectangle, but leave a 1 inch border all around the rectangle- brush the border with the egg wash-
place the second rectangle on top, and press the edges to seal. Place back into frige for 20 minutes to 2 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Take pastry out of frige, cover with egg wash, cut 5 3-inch slices on top and sprinkle with 1 TB sugar, pop in the oven, bake for 35-40 minutes rotating once, let sit for 10 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream.

If berry goo runs out slits on top, or leaks out of the seams, don't worry- it's all good...it's berry goo! :)

This would taste really good with peaches or apples.

My berries were really tart, so feel free to add more sugar if you'd like.

Enjoy- these were easy to make and yummy to eat!!!

Sounds delish! I know DH would love it

Wow, Janet, thanks for the recipe. I'm the only one in the house who likes it, but it looks like a quick recipe I could make when I'm on my own for dinner.

Just so you know Rae, Olive Garden has ALL their recipes on their website. :)They are so great with that!I'm the only one in my family that eats it too, but it makes a great dinner and a few leftover lunches. :)

janetupnorth said:
Just so you know Rae, Olive Garden has ALL their recipes on their website. :)

They are so great with that!

I'm the only one in my family that eats it too, but it makes a great dinner and a few leftover lunches. :)

WOW! I did not know that.....gheeesh, something else to take up my time now!

but thanks Janet - that is great info!

ChefBeckyD said:
WOW! I did not know that.....gheeesh, something else to take up my time now!

but thanks Janet - that is great info!

Not a problem - I discovered it a few years back searching for one of their recipes since our nearest Olive Garden is about 200 miles away and I haven't eaten at one in about 9-10 years. :(

Happy Memorial Day to all...

we are off to friends who are grilling.

I am bringing the asian summer salad, and then, since no one is bring dessert, I found a recipe on the back of a chocolate cake mix. Make the cake according to the box. Let it cool, poke holes in the top. Mix milk, white chocolate instant pudding and peppermint extract and pour over top. Let cool for 2 hours (like that is going to happen, the cake is just about ready for the pudding stuff and it's 2:30 or so and we are suppose to be there by 4. Plus I need a shower!), then mix a bit of peppermint extract into some chocolate frosting, frost and sprinkle chopped peppermints on the top. Have no peppermints, but do have a box of Frango chocolates. They are in the freezer. Going to chop those up and sprinkle on top.

Everyone be safe, enjoy those around you and be thankful for those who have scarificed and are doing so today for this great country.

Wow, Janet, I had no idea. That's interesting.

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the crockpot, generously seasoned with Moroccan Rub.Will serve with Couscous, green salad.My late father (8th Airforce, WWII) was fond of North African cooking. Honoring him with what would have made him happy to eat :)

1. What type of cuisine will be on the menu for tonight?

Tonight we will be having Italian cuisine, specifically Italian sausage-n-cheese flatpies.

2. What will be the main dish for tonight?

The main dish for tonight will be the Italian sausage-n-cheese flatpies.

3. Will there be any side dishes or salads?

Yes, we will also be having a chef salad as a side dish.

4. Where did you get the recipe for the flatpies?

The recipe for the flatpies is from a new cookbook that I recently purchased.

5. How do you plan to spend your Memorial Day weekend?

I plan on spending my Memorial Day weekend with family and enjoying some delicious food!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rennea
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • rennea