• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What to Make for Celiac Disease Guest?

with omitted cheese.I am so excited to do this demo. I have been wanting to do it for a long time. Some recipes I have are the Jerk Chicken Nachos, the cheesy tortilla casserole with corn chips, the Southwest Chicken Tortilla Casserole.I would recommend the Jerk Chicken Nachos, the cheesy tortilla casserole with corn chips, and the Southwest Chicken Tortilla Casserole.
babywings76
Gold Member
Let me re-phrase that: what to make for a guest who has celiac disease? That sounds better. I looked back at the title of the thread and thought it was worded poorly. :)

I just had a dentist appt. today and asked if I could pamper their office. They were really excited and said they'd love it. :) I'm so excited! Now, one problem is that they have one assistant with celiac disease and are hoping I have a recipe that would be okay for her to eat. Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else run into this and know what recipe would be best? I told them I'd e-mail the office a few recipes so she can double check if the ingredients would be okay. But I want to know what I should start with. Any help would be great. TIA!

Last edited:
As far as I understand Celiac, you'll want no wheat products and, I believe, other grains as well. I would do the Greek Cheese Torte and bring along gluten-free bread for that guest along w/ the regular bread the recipe calls for. The guest will be so appreciative of your thought- trust me, I know as we have a daughter with life threatening food allergies- it's so nice when people actually take the time to accommodate her- it means so much to us and her!

Good luck, I hope your show is successful.

some people with Celiac Disease are also unable to eat dairy. So be sure to check that out before you prep a recipe.How about one of the salads.... Jerk Chicken, Deluxe Cheeseburger (leave some w/o cheese if necesary)

I made the Jerk Chicken Nachos for a CD customer once and they went over well.

If you make something on a stone, wrap it in foil first as the stone can hang on to the gluten!

The chicken tortilla casserole is wheat and gluten free as long as you check chips and make sure they are gluten free, but corn is gluten free as well as rice. I have several clients who have celiac and it isn't fun! But they can still eat real food.

Chicken Tortilla Casserole

This quick microwave casserole is based on Mexican chilaquiles,

which uses broken tortilla chips for added texture.

1 poblano pepper

1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs

2 tbsp Southwestern Seasoning Mix

¼ tsp salt

1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed

1½ cups thick and chunky salsa (all natural, gluten free on label)

4 cups broken tortilla chips (for celiac use corn only chips and check for gluten free listed on label)

1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend

Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)

1. Remove stem and seeds from poblano pepper using Utility Knife; slice into thin strips.

Arrange poblano strips evenly over bottom of Deep Dish Baker. Thinly slice chicken

using Utility Knife. Combine chicken, seasoning mix and salt in Classic Batter Bowl.

Arrange chicken over poblano strips. Cover baker with 15-in. square of Parchment Paper,

tucking corners of paper under baker. Microwave on HIGH 4 minutes; stir using Mix ‘N

Scraper® to separate chicken strips. Cover; microwave an additional 4-6 minutes or until

chicken is cooked through.

2. Drain and rinse black beans using small Colander. Stir beans and salsa into chicken

mixture. Gently stir in tortilla chips with Small Mix ‘N Scraper®. Grate cheese over baker

using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until

cheese is melted. If desired, snip cilantro using Kitchen Shears; sprinkle over casserole.

Yield: 6 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 360, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 115 mg,

Carbohydrate 26 g, Protein 31 g, Sodium 1120 mg, Fiber 6 g

Cook’s Tip: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be substituted for the chicken thighs, if desired.

Poblano peppers are dark green chiles with a rich flavor that varies from mild to slightly spicy.

Poblanos are about 2 1/2 in. wide and 4-5 in. long, forming a triangular shape.

If desired, 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges, can be substituted for the poblano pepper.

Taco seasoning mix can be substituted for the Southwestern Seasoning Mix, if desired. Omit salt.

My father-in-law has Celiac Sprue. No wheat, rye, oats or barley. Check for MSG on ingredient labels and anything that has modified food starch is a no-no. Corn starch is okay.

I actually did a demo at my local health food store in May on gluten free cooking. I made pizzas using gluten free pizza crust. You can get many options at your local health food store. Mine has cookies, crackers etc already made along with flours to make things. Use tomato sauce adding itallian seasonings. And veges. Piechef is correct that most can not have dairy.. I had a dairy free cheese as an option.. but made most pizzas with mozzerella. There is a wonderful plethera od sites if you google celiacs disease. They tell you exactly what you can and can not eat. I was thinking corn tortillas were not a choice.. but I could be wrong. Look there and good luck **
The pizza crust I used is by Bob's Red Mill. They have a dairy free way to make the crust. For info and recipes.. Bob's Red Mill Hope this helps.

The site was w.w.w. bobs red mill do t c om change and put together
I noticed it did not print the site. Let's see if this works.

nevermind.. it created a link!! Way to go

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
The chicken tortilla casserole is wheat and gluten free as long as you check chips and make sure they are gluten free, but corn is gluten free as well as rice. I have several clients who have celiac and it isn't fun! But they can still eat real food.

Chicken Tortilla Casserole

This quick microwave casserole is based on Mexican chilaquiles,

which uses broken tortilla chips for added texture.

1 poblano pepper

1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs

2 tbsp Southwestern Seasoning Mix

¼ tsp salt

1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed

1½ cups thick and chunky salsa (all natural, gluten free on label)

4 cups broken tortilla chips (for celiac use corn only chips and check for gluten free listed on label)

1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend

Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)

1. Remove stem and seeds from poblano pepper using Utility Knife; slice into thin strips.

Arrange poblano strips evenly over bottom of Deep Dish Baker. Thinly slice chicken

using Utility Knife. Combine chicken, seasoning mix and salt in Classic Batter Bowl.

Arrange chicken over poblano strips. Cover baker with 15-in. square of Parchment Paper,

tucking corners of paper under baker. Microwave on HIGH 4 minutes; stir using Mix ‘N

Scraper® to separate chicken strips. Cover; microwave an additional 4-6 minutes or until

chicken is cooked through.

2. Drain and rinse black beans using small Colander. Stir beans and salsa into chicken

mixture. Gently stir in tortilla chips with Small Mix ‘N Scraper®. Grate cheese over baker

using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until

cheese is melted. If desired, snip cilantro using Kitchen Shears; sprinkle over casserole.

Yield: 6 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 360, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 115 mg,

Carbohydrate 26 g, Protein 31 g, Sodium 1120 mg, Fiber 6 g

Cook’s Tip: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be substituted for the chicken thighs, if desired.

Poblano peppers are dark green chiles with a rich flavor that varies from mild to slightly spicy.

Poblanos are about 2 1/2 in. wide and 4-5 in. long, forming a triangular shape.

If desired, 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges, can be substituted for the poblano pepper.

Taco seasoning mix can be substituted for the Southwestern Seasoning Mix, if desired. Omit salt.

Thanks for this suggestion! I'm going to e-mail this one to the office, and see if it's okay with her. I think she can't eat dairy, so maybe I'll only put cheese on 1/2 of it? Also, I don't own a DDB, can this be made in the rectangular baker?

Guys, I hate to burst bubbles but NONE of our spices are gluten free. My dad's wife (married after I got married) is Ciliac. I called HO about it and was told that they couldn't guarentee any of our spices since we contract out their manufacture. If the recipe calls for a specific spice you would have better luck. Our Harvest Chicken Salad from Seasons Best FW 2006 has no grains in it (if you remove the croutons) and it is really hearty.

Harvest Chicken Salad

Dressing
2 oranges
1/3 cup fat-free mayo (make sure to be gluten free may not be fat free to be gluten free)
2 Tbsp stone-ground mustard
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp each salt and ground pepper
1 small garlic clove, oressed

Salad
1 pkg (6 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves (I use a lettuce blend)
2 cups diced roasted chicken (make sure it isn't roasted using grains/flour)
1 cup diced celery
2 medium Red Delicious apples
1/2 cups chopped red onion
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries (make sure no addatives)
1/2 cup toasted pecan halves (optional but I make my own and they really make the recipe)
Orange segments and whole grain croutons (I don't do the croutons but do do the nuts).

1. For dressing, zest one orange using Lemon Zester/Scorer to measure 2 tsps zest. Juice oranges to measure ½ cup juice. Combine orange zest, mayo, mustard, sugar, salt, black pepper and garlic pressed with the Garlic Press in the Classic Batter Bowl; whisk until smooth using Stainless Whisk. While continuously whisking, add orange juice in a thin, steady stream; set dressing aside.

2 For salad, place spinach in bottom or large serving bowl (I like to use the Rectangular platter for something that really wows). Dice chicken and celery using the Utility Knife. Cut apples in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds using the Cook's Corer®. Cut each apple half into four wedges; crinkle cut wedges into small pieces using Crinkle Cutter. Chop onion using Food Chopper. Layer chicken, celery, apples, onion, cranberries and pecans, if desired, over spinach, To serve, drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat. Top with orange segments and whole-grain croutons (be sure to leave croutons out for gluten free). Serve immediately. Serves 12.

darlinclem said:
Guys, I hate to burst bubbles but NONE of our spices are gluten free. My dad's wife (married after I got married) is Ciliac. I called HO about it and was told that they couldn't guarentee any of our spices since we contract out their manufacture. If the recipe calls for a specific spice you would have better luck. Our Harvest Chicken Salad from Seasons Best FW 2006 has no grains in it (if you remove the croutons) and it is really hearty.

Harvest Chicken Salad

Dressing
2 oranges
1/3 cup fat-free mayo (make sure to be gluten free may not be fat free to be gluten free)
2 Tbsp stone-ground mustard
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp each salt and ground pepper
1 small garlic clove, oressed

Salad
1 pkg (6 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves (I use a lettuce blend)
2 cups diced roasted chicken (make sure it isn't roasted using grains/flour)
1 cup diced celery
2 medium Red Delicious apples
1/2 cups chopped red onion
3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries (make sure no addatives)
1/2 cup toasted pecan halves (optional but I make my own and they really make the recipe)
Orange segments and whole grain croutons (I don't do the croutons but do do the nuts).

1. For dressing, zest one orange using Lemon Zester/Scorer to measure 2 tsps zest. Juice oranges to measure ½ cup juice. Combine orange zest, mayo, mustard, sugar, salt, black pepper and garlic pressed with the Garlic Press in the Classic Batter Bowl; whisk until smooth using Stainless Whisk. While continuously whisking, add orange juice in a thin, steady stream; set dressing aside.

2 For salad, place spinach in bottom or large serving bowl (I like to use the Rectangular platter for something that really wows). Dice chicken and celery using the Utility Knife. Cut apples in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds using the Cook's Corer®. Cut each apple half into four wedges; crinkle cut wedges into small pieces using Crinkle Cutter. Chop onion using Food Chopper. Layer chicken, celery, apples, onion, cranberries and pecans, if desired, over spinach, To serve, drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat. Top with orange segments and whole-grain croutons (be sure to leave croutons out for gluten free). Serve immediately. Serves 12.

Huh.... I emailed HO before about that and they sent me a list of GF spices.
Lemme see if I can find it.

Nope... I can't find it, but I know they sent it to me. The Jerk Seasoning was on the list, that's why I made the nachos for a party with a CD customer.

redsoxgirl said:
Huh.... I emailed HO before about that and they sent me a list of GF spices.
Lemme see if I can find it.

Nope... I can't find it, but I know they sent it to me. The Jerk Seasoning was on the list, that's why I made the nachos for a party with a CD customer.

This is what I received on 13 April 2007:

Hello Darlene. The vanilla and oils are Gluten Free.

Our pantry spices are all Gluten-Free EXCEPT for Sweet & Smoky Barbecue
Rub & Asian Seasoning Mix.

Please note that our spice vendor has strict sanitation procedures in
place to prevent cross-contamination. However, they do not test for
gluten presence. That being said, we cannot guarantee that there are no
trace elements of gluten in our other spice products.

The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens

I read it to say that they just can't guarentee without testing and they don't test. If someone is a serious Ciliac, I just wouldn't be willing to put it to the test..

Ahhh - see mine didn't have that little disclaimer in it before. Thanks for letting us know about that part!

I really think they could make a mint if they would test and be able to label gluten free. I get asked quite a bit about it even from people who just have gluten sensativity not necessarily Ciliac.

I just resent the question to see what I got. I thik this is similar to the reply I got last time as well.

Hello Lindsay,
Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens. The following
spices are NOT gluten-free: Asian Seasoning Mix, Smoky Barbecue Rub,
Moroccan Rub, Sweet Caramel Sprinkle, and the new Sweet Mocha Hazelnut
Sprinkle. We do declare WHEAT on our labels for those that contain
gluten. Please refer to our website under each product's use and care
for further information.

Have a great day!

babywings76 said:
Thanks for this suggestion! I'm going to e-mail this one to the office, and see if it's okay with her. I think she can't eat dairy, so maybe I'll only put cheese on 1/2 of it? Also, I don't own a DDB, can this be made in the rectangular baker?

Yea. I don't have a DDB either. That's next on the list. I have made it in my deep round baker, not the deep dish covered baker, and it turned out great. Just really full. I covered it with a microwave safe plate. Southwest seasoning is gluten free-- but I would ask her if she has a serious case. I guess they are saying they don't test it? Eeek. If so, I would just use fresh ground ancho chili or 2tsp of cumin and some black pepper. To be safe.

Last edited:
A consultant in my extended cluster has Celiac's and she uses most of the seasonings. I made the new microwave white chicken chili from the Fall SBRC and it was OK for her (the salsa verde I picked up even indicated that it was made with gluten free vinegar).

You should definately check with the individual first. I have a friend who even if something came in touch with bread, she can't eat it. We always leave some ring filling in the small oval baker just for her.

Thanks everyone for the great info. As it turns out they decided they didn't want me to do the pampering after all. They said they just did a catalog show not that long ago and the staff doesn't feel ready for another one. Bummer. Well, I am trying to look at it that maybe they will in the future since they have done one before. And I told the secretary thank you for considering it and to keep me in mind for any future needs. So we'll see. Maybe after my next 6 month appt. :)

Bumping for easier reference later ...

I have a host whose mother has celiac disease ... I was going to do a braid and a desert but when I heard about this I was going to suggest a layered salad ... the harvest chicken salad sounds great ... will it work in a triffle bowl?

Di_Can_Cook said:

I have a host whose mother has celiac disease ... I was going to do a braid and a desert but when I heard about this I was going to suggest a layered salad ... the harvest chicken salad sounds great ... will it work in a triffle bowl?

I haven't tried it that way but I don't see why not! :)

Di_Can_Cook said:

I love the idea of the trifle bowl. It makes it look so special.

I like that too. I will have to try that. I might make that for a party tomorrow night.

Related to What to Make for Celiac Disease Guest?

1. What are some gluten-free options for appetizers?

Some great gluten-free appetizer options include vegetable platters with hummus or guacamole, caprese skewers, and deviled eggs made with gluten-free mayo.

2. Can you recommend a gluten-free main course?

Yes, some delicious gluten-free main course options include grilled chicken or fish, quinoa or rice-based stir-fries, and stuffed peppers with gluten-free breadcrumbs.

3. What are some gluten-free side dish ideas?

For side dishes, you can try roasted vegetables, mashed cauliflower or sweet potatoes, or a quinoa salad with fresh herbs and vegetables.

4. Are there any gluten-free dessert options?

Yes, there are plenty of gluten-free dessert options, such as flourless chocolate cake, fruit salad with whipped cream, or gluten-free cookies or brownies.

5. How can I ensure that my gluten-free meal is safe for my guest?

To ensure that your meal is safe for a guest with celiac disease, it is important to read labels carefully and avoid cross-contamination with gluten-containing ingredients. You can also ask your guest for any specific dietary restrictions or allergies to be sure.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jilly
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
robochick84
  • chefdianne
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • sherri lynn