• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Do You Think of the Rebate Plan?

In summary, the government is going to be giving out a check for $1200 per married couple and $600 per single person. People who have been paying taxes will not be getting the rebate, and those who are drawing social security or welfare will not get a rebate either. There is talk of including SS recipients in the rebate, but that has not been decided yet. There is talk of people spending the money which will help the economy, and the government will save money in the process.
jrstephens
I will take the money but I do not see how spending BILLIONS of dollars which is going to put the government further in debt is going to benefit the economy and the government very much.

And I do not like that peopple drawing Social Security will not get it. Those people have been paying taxes for years and I do not think it is fair for them to not get the rebates. My parents are one of the one that will not get it.

I also do not agree with people drawing Welfare getting it either. I think I understand that they will get it anyway. If they are not already working abd putting money into the goverment, I do not think they should benefit from those that are.

Just my opinions. Of course, you may disagree all you want!:D

I was wondering what you all think of it?

I don't know all the particulars, but I do know we'll get quite a check, between us & 3 kids!! This is embarrassing to say, but I didn't realize SS people wouldn't get it & Welfare people would. Once I figured we'd be getting $$, I kinda tuned out & started figuring out how much we'd get & what we'd do with it! We'll be putting on a pretty big deck behind our house!! Something we've wanted to do for a while now!!

I think the plan for the rebates is that when people get the money, they're going to blow it and that's going to put more money back into the immediate economy. From my understanding, its gong to be $600 per single person and $1200 per married couple. I don't think people with kids get any credit for the kids.

However, since my husband and I are looking for money to put back for future use, ours will sit in a savings account for a while.

As far as disagreeing with you, I dont. I completely agree that those drawing welfare and other government funds, should not receive the rebates. Some would argue the point that they may be the ones that need it most. I disagree. My parents also draw SS and disability,so they wont be receiving it either. My parents really need the money right now, too as my mom is nearly on her deathbed.

When all is said and done though, I'm taking the money. I'm glad its coming and at a very timely moment!! There! you've got my thoughts... Anyone else?

I am kind of torn I am excited to get the money but I also think people who havent paid taxes shouldnt get it.

sarahlegare said:
I don't know all the particulars, but I do know we'll get quite a check, between us & 3 kids!! This is embarrassing to say, but I didn't realize SS people wouldn't get it & Welfare people would. Once I figured we'd be getting $$, I kinda tuned out & started figuring out how much we'd get & what we'd do with it! We'll be putting on a pretty big deck behind our house!! Something we've wanted to do for a while now!!

The rebate is not based on children. Single and married are the only factors in this one.

jrstephens said:
I will take the money but I do not see how spending BILLIONS of dollars which is going to put the government further in debt is going to benefit the economy and the government very much.

And I do not like that peopple drawing Social Security will not get it. Those people have been paying taxes for years and I do not think it is fair for them to not get the rebates. My parents are one of the one that will not get it.

I also do not agree with people drawing Welfare getting it either. I think I understand that they will get it anyway. If they are not already working abd putting money into the goverment, I do not think they should benefit from those that are.

Just my opinions. Of course, you may disagree all you want!:D

I was wondering what you all think of it?

I don't think it will help the way they are saying it will. They mentioned how it will help those that are close to bankruptcy or foreclosure....HELLO...if you're that bad off, $1200 per couple isn't going to cut it! I do think that the spending on the retail side will help though.

As far as those with SS income, they are meeting on that tomorrow to try to include them in a similar version.

I think the idea is that we are all going to go out and spend the billions, which will help boost the economy, which will in turn save the government money. I don't understand economics (took macro and micro in college and got a "B" in both, but still don't have a clue), but supposedly this will help keep us out of a recession... kinda "spend money to make money" mindset. At least that is my impression.

I didn't realize welfare recipients would receive the money. I don't care if people who are on welfare AND are working receive the money, but not people that are not working. And I can't believe that those receiving SS don't receive it either! That isn't right. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is. What about people receiving SS and still working? What do they get, if anything?

Jennie4PC said:
I am kind of torn I am excited to get the money but I also think people who havent paid taxes shouldnt get it.

I think this is only for those that do pay taxes.

erinb said:
The rebate is not based on children. Single and married are the only factors in this one.

A few days ago it was being reported that people with kids would receive $300 per child. Did that portion get thrown out?

katie0128 said:
A few days ago it was being reported that people with kids would receive $300 per child. Did that portion get thrown out?
I had heard that too.......

It SUCKSI am only saying that because my husband and daughter are both disabled and that is our only income.:cry: ... except for my PC business and that is just getting started. It is my understanding that you have to have had income of at least $24,900 to recieve the rebate.... that's alot of PC sale for anyone to make.

I don't think it is right. But my son and his family will be recieving it and they will be using it to finally get their car tagged and some car repairs done. It will help them a great deal.

We really could have used the rebate. Money is so tight:yuck: and with all the talk of recession I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel for us.

Carol

I agree that people who don't pay taxes shouldn't get it. It is my understanding that it is a tax rebate check...like we received several years ago. But welfare recipients received those rebates too. In the beginning they weren't going to, but after a big fight they did. I have to say that the welfare system is a good thing most of the time, but in my area...which is one of the largest welfare receiving in the nation...most people who receive it can work, but make more money by being on welfare so why bother. They even have more kids so they can get more money. It is sad, but true. I know it sounds mean to say that they shouldn't get the rebates, but they don't pay taxes...they just receive our tax money. I am not saying that everyone on welfare is cheating the system. I know lots of people need it. But I also know that many times people need it...for a short period of time...and can't get it and then there are all these people abusing the system. But, that is not what this thread is about.

Someone asked President Bush last night how can you get a "rebate" without paying in "bate"...or something like that. I tend to agree.

Their plan is to give the people the money to put back into the economy. Might work except we plan on saving ours. Goes straight into the house fund.

When do we get these checks anyway? I think I heard not until after May at the earliest, is that true?

ChefBeckyD said:
I had heard that too.......

Sorry...I hadn't heard that, but just looked it up and it is stating that if it goes through "Individual taxpayers would get up to $600 in rebates, working couples $1,200 and those with children an additional $300 per child under the agreement. "

ChefMoore said:
When do we get these checks anyway? I think I heard not until after May at the earliest, is that true?

May is the earliest they will go out.

PS - I don't think people who simply sit around on welfare should recieve the rebate, and their are alot of people who just do that.... Welfare system was supposed to be a temp fix to a families hardships. Not a retirement program. I know there are people who truely need the system and who do not abuse it. I know that my family would have gone hungry more than once if we hadn't had food stamps.

The whole welfare system needs to be thrown out and completely redone!!!

And I say that as someone who has been on welfare and had to fight like hell to get what we got, while some people seemed to be handed everything on a silver platter...... this is a really sensitive thorn in my side and I could go on and on and on.... but I will spare you....

I saw something about anybody that earned $3000 or more...this is the article that said that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080129/ap_on_go_co/economy_stimulus

I think the idea began as a way for people to catch up on their bills. That was something I heard...people will be able to pay their mortgages, insurance, etc. But I don't see people doing that. Most people don't use their income tax refund for that either. I think people will buy more stuff. One thing a friend of mine said is she was going to use hers to help pay for a cruise...this is someone who constantly has her phone turned off because she can't pay the bill. I don't know what I will use mine for. I could pay off bills, but it will probably be put into our business to help us meet the daily demands until our clients pay their bills...LOL Oh well. One way or another it will go into the economy.

You guys have to also realize that we will have to report it on next yrs taxes like we did a few yrs ago. So in the end it may hurt some people. We will probably use it to get a debt out of the way but hopefully we will eliminate 2 debts with this tax refund and then use the monwy for a trip to Disneyland with the kids but we will see.

Jennie4PC said:
You guys have to also realize that we will have to report it on next yrs taxes like we did a few yrs ago. .

Yeah I remember being so mad when tax time came around that we had to claim a "rebate" on our taxes and pay taxes on it.

I understand that it will be $300 for each additional child. I wonder if they will base it on children on your current income tax return b/c by the time they go out we will have one more additional child in May!

We will probably put ours on bills or in the house like we are doing our tax refund. I want to go to 3 days a week for work after Cole is born and we are trying to omit some bills to make up for the loss of pay.

We are planning to put this and our regular income tax refund in the bank for our emergency fund, but will end up using some of it for "vacations"... travel to Parris Island to see my brother graduate from Marine boot camp and travel to PA (and 3 tux rentals/wedding gifts/etc.) when my BIL gets married in October.

Ours will probably go in the bank and be used over the course of the year to pay for my son's 3rd round of braces (this time the full mouth!) - we could also use towards our annual vacation (this year is to St. Louis!)

We have always used it to pay down debt this yr we are hoping to knock out the last little bit of my student loan and the last of our credit card we hate cards.

jrstephens said:
I understand that it will be $300 for each additional child. I wonder if they will base it on children on your current income tax return b/c by the time they go out we will have one more additional child in May!

I was wondering the same thing. My ex claimed my oldest DS last year. So if they base it off of last year will have two children. If it is this year we will have three children. Also, he received the last rebate we received for people with children. :mad:

Anyhoo...I was informed I couldn't touch the $ by my DH, because we are going to build a big, huge mud room onto the back of the house. :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: I'm really excited about that idea. It will give me a place to store a bunch of things and keep the dogs from running through my house with muddy paws on my white floors. :eek:

Jennifer , I would think the child would need a SS# to be counted for the rebate..I do not know this it's just a assumption.

Laurie,
did your ex also get the "child tax credit"? I know my ex claims my DS as a dependent but I can claim him for the child credit because he lives w/ me full time.

or is this child credit only in MA ?? Hmmm?

My guess is they will go by the previous year's return information. There have been so many babies born since then, it would be a nightmare to try to include each one and those rebates wouldn't go out until next May. lol

I am looking forward to getting the rebate. If we have CC debt to pay, it will go toward that. If not, my husband and I may each take half and spend it on whatever we want, or pool it together and splurge and get an HDTV and a Blu-Ray DVD player.If we end up splitting it up I think I'll get myself an iPod Touch. :D

Our rebate is going in our Disney account....we were planning on putting about 25% of our initial return into that account as well. We also are going to rent a beach house for a little bit this summer so that "vacation" fund will need to cover all that............

reba515 said:
Laurie,
did your ex also get the "child tax credit"? I know my ex claims my DS as a dependent but I can claim him for the child credit because he lives w/ me full time.

My ex and I switch back and forth every other year on claiming our DS on our taxes, because he lives with both of us. Not that it really matters, but it just bites if my ex get's the $, because he always ends up winning!:mad:

Okay vent over.:)

I guess I don't have any feelings on this either way. I'm going to wait to see if we actually GET the checks before I get my hopes up and/or decide what I'm going to do with the $$$.

If and when it comes, ours will only be going toward our never ending debt!

What Do You Think of the Rebate Plan?

The rebate plan is a highly debated topic and opinions vary. Some of the most frequently asked questions about the rebate plan include:

1. Will the Rebate Plan Benefit the Economy and Government?

While the rebate plan may provide a short-term boost to the economy, there are concerns about the long-term effects of increasing the national debt. Some argue that the money could be better used for other initiatives such as infrastructure or education.

2. Why Aren't People Drawing Social Security Eligible for the Rebate?

One of the criticisms of the rebate plan is that it excludes those who are already drawing Social Security. This is because they are already receiving a form of government assistance and may not need the additional funds.

3. What About People on Welfare?

Another point of contention is that those receiving welfare will also be eligible for the rebate. Critics argue that this is not fair to taxpayers who are funding the welfare system and may not see any benefit from the rebate themselves.

4. Will the Rebate Plan Help Those in Need?

There are concerns that the rebate plan may not effectively target those who are most in need of financial assistance. Some argue that the money would be better used for programs that specifically help low-income individuals and families.

5. What Do You Think of the Rebate Plan?

Ultimately, opinions on the rebate plan vary and it is up to each individual to decide whether they support it or not. Some see it as a necessary step to stimulate the economy, while others have concerns about its potential impact on the national debt and its effectiveness in helping those in need.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kattyschack
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • PampChefJoy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
  • ChefCKHall