• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Do You Give Your Host as a Gift From You?

or a cookbook, they may feel obligated to order more products. Some people give items like season's best cookbook, or a knife, spatula, and peeler set, while others give things like kitchen tools, coffee, tea, or seasoning sets. Personally, I like to give a mix of different items, depending on the particular host. I also like to give a handwritten thank you card, along with my order form.
PamperedJess
Just curious if and what you give you host? I don't want to seem to cheapy with a gift. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Right now I use productsI ran a promotion for June and July and August.
I purchased the three Grill Spice Rubs and Recipe Cards.
I put one of each in one of our gift boxes.
Now, there is a catch to what you can give a host as a host gift.
Per the IRS, you can only claim/write off a host gift upto $25.
You don't want to loose out so stay with that budget. For September I still had some of these "Spicy Recipe grilling Sets" left so I am still using those. I have also done the Small Bowls and Caddy combo as I believe this is like $23.50 or something like that.
Cookbooks make great gifts. But I always get our Gift Boxes as a show expense and put whatever in one of those so I can promote them at shows as well.
A Combination of Mini-Serving Spatula, Quikut Paring Knife, Orange Peeler and Season's Best works great too.
Just remember the $25 rule. Half of that is even better as you don't want to give away the store either.
Something else I do as a gift I don't have to carry, I forgot I was doing this, forgive me, my mind is a terrible thing to waste but...
I actually did this, I discounted every one of the host bonus items for October.
The Roaster is $50 not $58. I subtracted $8 on each of the other two items as well. Does this work? Yes, I have 10 Kitchen shows and 7 catalog shows.
And $8 subtracted from a $250 commission, (I did put that in as a minimum to get the discount), is not much.

Last edited:
generally speaking, a season's best recipe book. They all love it even if it is only $1. Some consultants have the guests at the show sign it to make it more personal

Host GiftsThanks for sharing the info on the $25 rule! I had no idea! Good thing I haven't exceeded that much on a host yet!

I give them a Season's Best Cookbook at the beginning of the show and with their order if I'm not running a promotion I'll add recipe cards and a Pantry item like the tea, coffee, seasoning or the Farmer's Market Seasoning Set. It all depends on the host. But I usually ask questions to figure out what they would enjoy the most. Hosts LOVE the benefits and when I throw in a little gift they LOVE it even more. Even if it is something little they are always appreciative. I also make my own greeting cards - and I always throw in a special thank you card. It's nothing big, I got some stamps from Nancy's Artwork, emboss those and add some ribbon to it and viola! Then I'll personalize it with a message in the card.

Hope that helps! :D

Wow great ideas...Thanks

Hostess giftsBecause Pampered Chef provides our Hosts with such an incredible amount of free product anyway, I do not see the need in giving expensive gifts for hosting a show. And remember, once you start doing that - it's almost expected at shows in which the current host came to the prior show. I change my gifts around. One month it may be Season's Best. The next month it may be a Quikut knife. Sometimes a Citrus Peeler, a magnetic shopping list with my business card and the PC logo enscribed, and the mini-spatula. Those are the 5 I use most frequently. Occassionally, I have given the small micro-cooker. (Big show...host followed my coaching and it showed...)

I am always wondering about host gifts. Befoer I became a consultant I gave at least 2 shows a year. I had 2 different consultants that would do my shows. One always a surprise ordered with my order which I loved and they other would usually have a dollar store item as a gift. I would appreciate both gifts but loved getting PC items better.

So as Oct. 1st. I am going to doing the surprise item with the hostess order. I will add it to hostess order and put in payment as consultant gift. The item will depend on how much show sales is and what the hostess orders. I love when my hostess fill out their Wish List because that will also help with selecting the item. Another hint give pantry items-they may love the item and reorder.

Charlene

I have heardthat giving the host a nice item such as what pampered 1234 gives , really helps on bookings ! If you present your host with the small bowls and caddy at the begining of the show so everyone can see, it really sparks peoples interest in booking their own show ! As you can see it must she has 10 shows booked !!! A friend of mine gives the small oval baker to her hosts, and let me tell you she as well has a full calender !!! I think iam going to give this a try at my next couple of shows and see if there is a difference in bookings !! I will let ya all know !!

when you are ordering something for the host do you put it under thier order and if so how do you mark it as a consultant gift?

Wow, I have never given the hostess a gift like that before. Maybe that is why my bookings dried up. I wonder if they would like the new Cranberry and Butternut bar boards. They are only $8.50, so that wouldn't hurt my pocket too bad.

I don't typically give a host gift (but after reading all of these I'm starting to rethink that!) but I often offer an incentive for booking a show. Sometimes it's a Q. knife, citrus peeler, SB cookbook, or cake tester. If I'm really behind in bookings I'll offer to pay for their S&H that night if we can decide on a date right then.

I always give my hosts a copy of the current Season's Best, plus I'll add something small like a Pantry Spice or the Good Company Tea to their order. One host had a $500 catalog show and I also added one of the Recipe Card Collections to her order.

A Little clarification hereLadies, first and foremost, I never thought about doing this before but my name is John and DebPC, the founder of this site, is my director.
Let me tell you a little something I have found out. Hosts love anything they get. I also know for a fact that the larger the gift, the more loyal they are to you. I have been in the biz for 5.5 years. The first two years I did OK as I was starting out. I did the "little" things stuck into a fancy jar or something from the dollar store. When things got a little tougher, I had to make a dicision. Did I want to go out and find more hosts and guests or did I want to be able to recycle the hosts I have. Both odviously. However, getting repeat hosts takes some inginuity especially if you need the shows NOW.
Well, dang it, I bribed them! And you know what? It works. I have about 20 hosts that have only done one show with me. I have about 40 that not only have done one or two shows with me, but most of them are up to at least 4.
I sent out a plea with my goal for 2005. When my past hosts heard about this, they came to me. I DID NOT HAVE TO BEG for their help. These people are not just hosts anymore. Most of them seem like family. We help each other out and that it makes a huge difference in my business.
I let everyone know I was going for the $25,000 in sales by Oct. 31. I have never done more than about $18000 in a year. (By the way, I am already upto $18700. That means LEVEL 1 or Irresistable Rewards! I have never gotten one of those!!)
I have, get this, 10 Kitchen Shows and 4 catalog shows in October. All from Past Hosts who decided it was time I got paid back for my kindnesses to them.
So you all tell me if it is worth it or not. I now have a new idea I am trying out. It is working and you will see why in a second. I have decided I will NOT give a host gift at my shows any more.
I started this because of the great host bonuses PC is offereing. I decided to sweeten the deal. I looked at the cost of the roaster. I decied that $50 sounded alot better than $58. $2 sounded better than $10 and $10 sounded better than $18. And an extra $8 savings sounds and works better than a $1 knife or cookbook.
As you can see from my numbers in October, my hosts love it too!
Plus, I am saving money over my old gift idea and I do not have to buy umteen Quikuts to keep on hand, Mini-Serving Spatulas, or Season's Bests.
Less stuff to carry too. It will cost me $112 in October. My old way would cost me $210. So, you have to be the judge and remember, its your business, no one elses and you do what ever you want to do. Now this may sound stupid to you all but our hosts are our life blood. Rita, I hate to say this, but it sounds like you could care-a-less about your hosts. But if it works for you fine. But I'll tell you what, I would not trade my 60 some odd new FRIENDS for the world. Especially since they came to my aid when I needed them.

Last edited:
Sorry pamperedI didnt realize you were a he ! ;) I like your ideas !

There are some wonderful ideas here and I can't wait to try some! Currently, I give each host a current Season's Best and have all the guests sign it "to remind the host who came to her show." All of my hosts really seem to like this and I think it makes it more personal. I love the idea of a surprise gift with their order and discounting the host specials, though, so I might try those. :D

To Spend or Not to Spend, to each their ownHi John! First let me note that that's my boyfriends name also. Sometimes we don't agree either, but we still love each other! Okay, in your post you admit bribing past hosts when you need shows “NOW”. If that’s what it takes and you can afford it, go for it. Fortunately, I do not have to bribe my hosts (yet ;) ). My shows are a lot of fun and that is what keeps my hosts coming back to get the free and discounted products Pampered Chef offers, not me.
Did you attend the “Live Kitchen Show” seminar at conference this year where the consultant did her spill with the Season’s Best host gift? After explaining how there were so many delicious recipes in this book available for purchase on column x of their order form, she made a joke about how she’s only giving a $1.00 to the host, but Pampered Chef is offering her the potential of over $215 in free products, 4 half price, and 30%. (Wish I remembered the consultant, she was too cute! Very good at her demo and it showed – obviously in her sales as well, and it didn’t cost her the price of a larger gift.)
Many of the consultants on this site are relatively new. Buying expensive PC items obviously adds up quick. I DO NOT recommend doing this unless you want to book a specific date, you’re close to reaching an incentive being offered, etc. Make your shows lots of fun, change them up, and your hosts will come back for more.
My background is marketing, so I have a tendency to try to read into the demographics and psychographics of my audience and base the show information around what type of people I have there (their lifestyle, social class, etc). In a more affluent area, hosts are not likely to be interested in hosting a show due to the bribe you offer, but more for the entertainment provided to their friends and family. The benefits sought by hosting a show is going to vary by individual. Believe it or not, “free” does not always entice a customer to become a host. But, everyone likes having “fun”.
I suppose the moral of this novel…do what works for you, that’s the beauty of this business.

WOW there is some great advice here. I have been giving my hosts the SB cookbook and so far everyone has really liked it. Although during the month of October I am giving all my hosts the new stoneware heart mold since they are the "Heart" of my business.

Tracy

I agree with Rita. I give my host a Season's Best cookbook at the beginning of every show. I must have attended the same seminar as you, Rita, at National (Suzette de Araujo was the consultant). I too say, "This may seem like a small token, but the host tonight will earn over $100 in free products, half price products, and then she gets a discount on everything in the catalog. Plus, she gets free shipping and handling, and 10% off everything else she orders from The Pampered Chef within the next year! Not only that, but she can choose either the ____ or the ____ for 60% off!"

I think that I have repeat hosts because my shows are fun, not because they remember that I gave them something for free. I agree that our host program is amazing, and there really isn't any other reason to give the host another free product at her show.

However, if I am ever in a booking slump, or need to fill a date right away, I will sometimes offer incentives. For example, if someone books one of my first 4 dates of each month, I give them a small gift (under $10). But by promoting the specials each month, the hosts often want to book for that reason alone! When you lay it out to them just how much they will get, that's usually incentive enough--at least for me, anyway.

I think also that my repeat hosts do business with me because I make hosting easy. I send the invitations for them, host coach, and reassure them that the show will be fun. I follow up with them after I know that they have received their show, and see if there were any problems or questions. The customer care, I believe, is more important than getting a free product.

That's just my two cents. And Rita's right--the great thing is that you can run your business any way you want. I would just recommend to anyone just starting not to take a big leap into buying large gifts for your hosts. Take it one step at a time...

Hostess GiftI have a different offering for my hostesses. I have a monthly drawing for a gift card ($20) to a local store. I only have to buy 1 and all the hostesses are excited about the potential of winning. The rules are simple - You have to host and close a party in that month. When the hostess has people who book shows, she is included in the month those shows close. One hostess had 4 bookings at her show in Sept. She will be entered into the drawing for Oct, Nov (2) and Jan -if these shows are held and closed. I also send a letter out to the hostesses for that month and let them know who the winner was. It seems to be working for me.

I do a door prize drawing - which is the Season's Best cookbook.

Exactly my point Rita!I knew you were a smart cookie. That is it exactly. You have to do what works for the demographics of the people you are servicing as well as for what works for your wallet. I wish it were an easy thing to decide first off but it is not. When I realized I was working with mostly lower middle class people, the extra incentives did the trick. As you can see though, I am now changing that a little with an extra discount. It is the same concept of the surprise on the host order only not a product but a discount. Like I figure it, a $250 show is a $50.00 commission at the least. $8.00 is not going to hurt me and I can write it in as an expense. Granted, thanks to the wonderful people in Washington D.C. we don't get all of that back but some of it is better than nothing. Everyone has to decide for themselves what will work the best for them.
I would also agree highly with your statement Rita, that if you are just starting out, a Season's Best IS your best bet. Until you get a client base as well as a good full, by your standards, calander built up, keep it inexpensive.
I started out that way too. So my advice is simply this, you have to decide.
None of is right and none of us is wrong for everyone. We are only right for ourselves.

I have a couple questions. I have only been doing this for a few months (since may 2005). At my shows i always give the hostess a SB at the beginning and then play a game of some sort so somebody else gets a prize as well. BUT, most of my hostess's are not ones to have alot of money to put it nicely. they are not poor just not rich. like i have stated before, furniture plants are the main means of money here in my part of mississippi. now one of my hostess's really wanted to earn the EAD at her last show last month but didnt reach her goal. I told her if she would book another show and get at least 300 dollars (here that is an awesome deal!!) in sales then i would personally buy her the EAD, and she re-booked for this month and we did her show last night. She is only about 75 dollars away from her goal and earning that plus her free stuff. My question is...even though i am just starting out in Pc do you think it is wise to keep doing this? so far i havent broke my chain of hostess's. the two chances i had to break it cancelled on me. one due to health and one due to the hurricane. i am going to try and re-schedule them. i think it helps to give an extra incentive especially if the hostess does there best to earn a certain amount and then doesnt even come close. i love pamper1224's ideas (sorry couldnt remember your name...hope i got the screen name right!!). I would love to hear more....pleae contact me if you get a chance...what do you all think? so far i only have about 2 shows a month that actually sticks...i had 5 for last month and 3 cancelled!! i have to do something to break my chain...

sorry so long...just need some advice....oh yeah..i will be doing a craft fair next weekend.....cross your fingers!!

Laurenncraigory said:
generally speaking, a season's best recipe book. They all love it even if it is only $1. Some consultants have the guests at the show sign it to make it more personal

Season's Best here too - - and so far the Hostesses lOVED it! I figure they get all the hostess benefits too. Tonight's hostess got $115 in free merchandise plus 2 half-priced items and 25% off.

Consultant Gift???Hi, I am new to the PC Family, and was just wondering??? I see a lot of people are saying they order things and mark it down as a "consultant gift", what exactly does that mean????? :confused:

You'll get to know this well! On the computer program, Pampered Partner, that we get in our kits you enter all the payments from your shows for each guest. The "Consultant Gift" option is one of the payment options (like credit card, cash, check) so if you're paying for something (like an extra host incentive or something) you can make that portion of the payment as your gift to them. The benefit to doing this is at the end of the year when you print up your expense report from PP, it'll list it as a business expense, therefore it's a tax write off. :)

Monica, I know what you're saying. I hate it when one of my hosts doesn't get what they want. I personally can't afford to get it for them but what I do is help their show along a little. If a host is like so close to their goal I'll tell them to call everybody and tell them they are so close and ask them to order and I don't tell them this but I call around too. I add the outside orders I get to their show and I've never had a hostess not happy. Between the two of us we always come up with enough orders.

Cookie is right on track MonicaThe whole idea is to sweeten the pot but not give away the store.
Monica, in your case, you will need to be patient. It took me two years to finally get out of the circle of family and friends. It did take getting more bookings from those people to supply me a fresh bunch of guests but it did eventually work. If I sat down and traced my host roots from start to finish, there is a connection between 99.9% of them. In some way they are all related to the first 10 or 12 hosts I ever had. If you also look at the first two years of my PC life, you will also see alot of the same names over and over and over agian as hosts. As you said, you are fairly new at this. This also means that your booking speel isn't as rifined as it will be 6 months, or 2 months from now. As that becomes more honed, you will catch more peoples attention at shows and soon the circle will grow. It does not happen over night. Now for today. You are up against one obstacle that will deter this growth for a while. Mother Nature put a whammy on you. There is nothing to do but be patient. As the pieces begin to come back together down there, so will your business. However, and not to be cruel in any way shape or form, you could use this rebuilding time to your advantage. All those people rebuilding their lives will need to rebuild and restock their kitchens.
So, just a thought and a simple flyer could help you along here. Find a dollar amount that you feel is a good minimum for a show to be, say $250.
Decide how much of the $50 commission you are will to give back to build your business. Say no more than $10. Remember to put it in as an expense as a Consultant Gift. The secret to the success is to find out what your hosts need before you even know them. Like ESP or in this case PSP. Pampered Sensory Perception. My hosts and future hosts as I have 5 new circles starting, all seem to like the discounted host specials. I can do that. Instead of placing an ad in a paper, which I can not do here, I simply put the money elsewhere. You have advertising expenses for businesses, there are incentives in businesses, (Consultant Gifts), you need to spend some money to make money is what most people tell you need to do. Your call though.
So say something like this, "Do you need a fresh start in your Kitchen? Are you ready to rebuild your life and your kitchen? I can help! I will share with you a great line of kitchen cooking and serving products that WILL make your kitchen rebuild the best it can be. I can show you how to do this for FREE! And I am willing to help by giving every host an extra $10 off their order. So invite your friends, family and neighbors to join you for a night away from the problems of life. Share a great time with food and fun. If you need an extra income, I can help you there too! Just ask! I am here to assist you!"
Let your imagination do that ad for you. You know what you have to offer and I would suspect being a little closer to the problem at hand, you would also know how to get the feeling across better. It is all in the words. Then pass them out wherever you think it would do you the most good.
Your host, how did you handle that EAD thing? I know it would be difficult to just give it away but how about a little discount? It never hurts to think about it. But you need to decide what you are willing to give back.
Good luck!

John W.
Independent Kitchen Consultant

thanks for the great advice, John!! I really needed the boost. I have been getting down in the dumps because the only show i have in oct. so far is my own "Mommy and Me" show. Ok get to the point now. Last month I started "Bonus Dates". Book a show on a certain date and you can choose from either a free kitchen show or the new bar board/knife. I have had 2 shows booked from that...1 was cancelled due to Katrina and the other one i just did. I am trying to re-schedule a couple that cancelled me last month.
As for the EAD....last month this girl really tried hard to get enough in free prdoucts to earn this. she didnt make it and couldnt afford to buy it. So i told her since she did so good that if she would re-book a show..didnt matter when...then i would get the EAD for her....well we did her show last week and it will close on friday. I dont mind adding incentives to book at all. I think it really boosts sales and bookings. But right now, I cant afford to offer much more than a free show or the bar board set. but i definately like your ideas and once i get in the position to do it i will put it into affect. As far as helping Katrina victims re-building there kitchens...most of the victims that came up this far are planning on going back to where they came from ASAP....so its hard to book a show that way....i had thought about that also...i want to do something to helpt hem so badly since i had family that was affected also but i cant find anyone that is going to stick around our area....but once again i do really appreciate your advice...keep it coming!!!!!!!

I had NO idea we could write off gifts (under $25)! Totally SWEET! Now, how do we do that, though? If we're adding it on to their order, so we don't have to pay as much, do we just keep a copy of the receipt, and highlight the consultant gift information/price? Or do those of you that give gifts give them in person? (I would think it would get people more excited to see the prize at the show, now that I think of it.)

Thanks,
Amanda

Heart of my BusinessSomeone posted that they are giving the stoneware heart as a host gift in October. I am taking that one step further. I am making a cinnamon mold in the stoneware heart. Attached a ribbon and it can hang in a closet or freshen a drawer. Or it can just be a decoration on the wall. I give the host the stoneware heart and the wall decoration as a gift. She only get the mold at the show and I add the stoneware to her order as a consultant gift.

monica_sweetconsultant said:
thanks for the great advice, John!! I really needed the boost. I have been getting down in the dumps because the only show i have in oct. so far is my own "Mommy and Me" show. Ok get to the point now. Last month I started "Bonus Dates". Book a show on a certain date and you can choose from either a free kitchen show or the new bar board/knife. I have had 2 shows booked from that...1 was cancelled due to Katrina and the other one i just did. I am trying to re-schedule a couple that cancelled me last month.
As for the EAD....last month this girl really tried hard to get enough in free prdoucts to earn this. she didnt make it and couldnt afford to buy it. So i told her since she did so good that if she would re-book a show..didnt matter when...then i would get the EAD for her....well we did her show last week and it will close on friday. I dont mind adding incentives to book at all. I think it really boosts sales and bookings. But right now, I cant afford to offer much more than a free show or the bar board set. but i definately like your ideas and once i get in the position to do it i will put it into affect. As far as helping Katrina victims re-building there kitchens...most of the victims that came up this far are planning on going back to where they came from ASAP....so its hard to book a show that way....i had thought about that also...i want to do something to helpt hem so badly since i had family that was affected also but i cant find anyone that is going to stick around our area....but once again i do really appreciate your advice...keep it coming!!!!!!!

Monica,

Don't forget that we can purchase the Easy Accent Decorator on our supply orders for 1/2 price. We can also get the Family Skillet half price. I haven't purchased either one yet. I'm not sure how it works, but I think that PC offers the products that will help us out that 6 months at a discount and I think we can only purchase one of each. Since the EAD is needed for the chocolate show, and the skillet is needed for the Ole' show, we can get them half price. Last 6 months it was the springform pan (still beating myself up for not getting that), the skillet and I think some of the Simple Additions.

Jennifer

I got the EAD through the supply order last month. Just type it in as you would any other paperwork/supplies.

1. What is an appropriate gift to give to your host?

It is always a thoughtful gesture to bring a gift for your host, but it is not always necessary. A small, personalized gift such as a homemade dish or a bottle of wine is always appreciated.

2. Should I bring a gift for my host even if they have explicitly said not to?

If your host has specifically stated that they do not want any gifts, it is best to respect their wishes. Bringing a gift in this situation may make them feel uncomfortable or obligated to reciprocate.

3. How much should I spend on a gift for my host?

The cost of the gift is not as important as the thought and effort put into it. It is not necessary to spend a large amount of money on a gift for your host. A small, meaningful token is often more appreciated than an expensive gift.

4. Is it appropriate to bring a gift for my host if I am staying as a houseguest?

Yes, it is a kind gesture to bring a gift for your host if you are staying as a houseguest. This shows your appreciation for their hospitality and can help to make your stay more enjoyable.

5. What are some good gift ideas for a host?

Some good gift ideas for a host include a bouquet of flowers, a potted plant, a homemade dish or baked goods, a bottle of wine or a personalized gift such as a photo album or a monogrammed item.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Aynot
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
kristina16marie
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Sarah Mitson
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies