• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some creative ideas for homemade ornaments for an exchange group?

In summary, Linda is in an ornaments exchange and needs 20 made by December 1st. She found a way to make them with a paper ornament and found they look really cute.
babywings76
Gold Member
I'm in an ornament exchange group. The ornaments are supposed to be homemade and of original quality. I have to have 20 made for the first Friday in December. Yeah, my November is going to be crazy with, so far, 7 PC shows and 2 kids birthdays and a family birthday party, so I need to get going on this as soon as possible. Anyone have any ideas?

We did something like this with my child's class (I know this is for adults, but you can make them so they are nice and don't look like a 5y/o did it). On our we used shite buttons of various sizes then sprayed them with aerosol glue and covered them with clear glitter. They are really pretty on the tree.

I also like the poem they have to attach to them.

Ramblings of a Crazy Woman: Popsicle Stick Snowflake and Poem

Do they have to be entirely homemade? Awhile back, our Sunday School class made ornaments by taking clear glass ball ornaments (they have them at Hobby Lobby). Remove the metal cap, squirt a little craft paint inside , hold your finger over the opening and shake hard to "splatter" the paint inside. Add a couple of colors and it looks "marbled". Add some glitter too if you want. When it looks the way you want it, put the ornament in an egg carton, with the hole down so as to drain the extra paint and let it dry. Don't use too much paint or it takes forever to dry and the balls for some reason are much more fragile with a lot of paint in them. Put the metal cap/hanger back on them and tie a beautiful ribbon on the hanger. They turn our beautiful. Sparkle paint is awesome too.

babywings76 said:
I'm in an ornament exchange group. The ornaments are supposed to be homemade and of original quality. I have to have 20 made for the first Friday in December. Yeah, my November is going to be crazy with, so far, 7 PC shows and 2 kids birthdays and a family birthday party, so I need to get going on this as soon as possible. Anyone have any ideas?

Well since your November is so busy.... If any of those shows are catalog show I will be the nice one and take that extra work off your load and add those shows to my bookings!! LOL LOL LOL I mean isn't that sweet of me to offer that for you?

What about taking like 20 strips of paper, hole punching each end, then put a piece of string through the ends. If you push the paper down it balloons out and then you fan them into a circle. Put a fun bead at the top and bottom, make a loop and you have an ornament. I probably didn't make much sense, so here's a picture...

Attachments

• Paper Ornaments.jpg
    Paper Ornaments.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 342
pamperedlinda said:
We did something like this with my child's class (I know this is for adults, but you can make them so they are nice and don't look like a 5y/o did it). On our we used shite buttons of various sizes then sprayed them with aerosol glue and covered them with clear glitter. They are really pretty on the tree.

I also like the poem they have to attach to them.

Ramblings of a Crazy Woman: Popsicle Stick Snowflake and Poem

Linda, were the buttons REALLY that bad? LOL, sorry couldn't resist! :D

GourmetGirl said:
What about taking like 20 strips of paper, hole punching each end, then put a piece of string through the ends. If you push the paper down it balloons out and then you fan them into a circle. Put a fun bead at the top and bottom, make a loop and you have an ornament. I probably didn't make much sense, so here's a picture...

Well those sure are cute! I wonder if I can do it?! Do you think they'll hold up okay? I know some years people made ornaments that didn't survive more than one season, and they were ticked. :grumpy:

I found this idea but I'm not sure I can do it without a pattern, I'm a lousy artist. :rolleyes:

http://www.tallmouse.com/projects/xmas/corrugatedclaus/corrugatedclaus.jpg

kcjodih said:
Linda, were the buttons REALLY that bad? LOL, sorry couldn't resist! :D

oops - typo! that would be WHITE Buttons.

GourmetGirl said:

I'm really liking these, the more I think about it. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to make them. Shouldn't be too hard, right? :)

You can also find some dough like ornaments and personalize them with the year or the name of your group and it would probably do.. sign your name on the back. I make ornaments every year. .. some examples
1) Puff paint people...get material and cut out say people shapes make clothes/faces on them with puff paint for fabric... puff the paint after it dries and make a stuffed doll out of the ornament. Kids even made cute dolls.. we still have them and laugh every year. Or wreath shape..or bell shape...
2) I made the clear ornaments with paint poured in the middle one year.
3) Stained glass ornaments
4) one year I made angels out of felt.. they were flat
5) one year I made angels out of noodles they were 3D
6) one year I made stuffed bells out of paper grocery sacks.. to be "recycled"
You can look up ormanents on say Good Housekeeping to find great ideas. I don't know what I'll make this year yet. Maybe someone will come up with a great idea.

I have made the noodle angels...then painted them with gold and silver craft paint...they are cute.

take regular round Christmas ball ornaments, glue one to an ice cream cone and decorate with glitter paint. Childish? Maybe. But easy, and they look pretty cute. :)

It's always hard to decide what to make every year. You should see some of the ornaments these women make. Homemade stained glass angels, antique beaded things, mini-hand quilted stockings, some very Victorian ornaments, then you have the ones who have a wood cutter cut out their pieces basic shape and then they hand paint (looks so professional) things that look so amazing. One lady even hand whittled her ornament! Then you have some more basic ornaments that are nice, just not at the same level of difficulty or time investment. I struggle with finding something that looks great, looks like I spent a lot of time and effort, but isn't ridiculously hard. Some of the ladies in the group have been making ornaments for this exchange group for 10 years! So I try real hard to come up with something unique. I can't believe this is my 5th year in it!

You can get wooden blanks in Christmas shapes and paint them. I get mine at Michaels.. an Arts and Crafts store. I see what you are up against. This year.. take you camera and snap photos of everyone.. or of the group as a whole.. and you will have a great start to the next year. (frames of some sort) and it will be personalized. Or give them each a dollar.. the way things are going they may be really special by then lol

babywings76 said:
I'm really liking these, the more I think about it. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to make them. Shouldn't be too hard, right? :)

They are extremely easy to make but they don't store well! They are easily crushed, bent, etc.

If you do want to make them, let me know & I will post step by step directions.

Do you stamp? I've made some adorable ornaments with the clear ornaments, window sheets (transparencies), stamps & fake snow. I've also made really cute ornaments with round coasters (the kind they use at restaurants that are cardboard type material).

Bev

I'm not a stamper, although I love stamped projects. We actually have a major stamper in our group, so I try to let that be her domain. ;)

Stampaholic1961 said:
They are extremely easy to make but they don't store well! They are easily crushed, bent, etc.

If you do want to make them, let me know & I will post step by step directions.

Do you stamp? I've made some adorable ornaments with the clear ornaments, window sheets (transparencies), stamps & fake snow. I've also made really cute ornaments with round coasters (the kind they use at restaurants that are cardboard type material).

Bev

Since you said these don't hold up too well, I think I'll do a different project for my group. I think I'll make them for my own family Christmas tree though, since they are so cute! I'd love the directions. And I think my daughter would love to help me make these. :)

babywings76 said:
Since you said these don't hold up too well, I think I'll do a different project for my group. I think I'll make them for my own family Christmas tree though, since they are so cute! I'd love the directions. And I think my daughter would love to help me make these. :)

What if you shellac them, though? Do you think that would make them last longer?

My first thought, after reading the original post, was to suggest Mini-Whisks, with pretty ribbon bows, and a loop with which to hang them for the tree. I guess that isn't 'homemade' enough, though!!

Last edited:
pampchefsarah said:
What if you shellac them, though? Do you think that would make them last longer?

My first thought, after reading the original post, was to suggest Mini-Whisks, with pretty ribbon bows, and a loop with which to hang them for the tree. I guess that isn't 'homemade' enough, though!!

I totally was thinking something like that would be cute...but I'd have to find a way to make it homemade. Like an ornament made to look like a PC product.

A lot of us make something that isn't necessarily a typical Christmas themed ornament. One person made a homemade Hershey Kiss, smiling, and popping up out of the foil by using Sculpey. I made a miniature "Cookies in a Jar" using baby food jars. I had things glued to the inside of the jar to make it look like the layers of flour, sugar, brown sugar, oats, and choc. chips, covered it with mini sized fabric and a mini tag w/ instructions, etc. We have to share a story behind our ornament, so that was the year that my son was a baby and we had a ton of baby food jars. So now, when we all see the ornaments, we think of what people had going on in their lives at the time, based on what story they shared, or what the ornament was crafted from, etc. So trying to come up with something PC related would be super appropriate for me because this is my first year of being a consultant. :)

How about an adapted PC recipe?

Cinnamon Clay Ornaments
1 ½ Cups Cinnamon
1 ¼ cups Applesauce (not chunky)
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons white school glue

Mix cinnamon, applesauce and glue in bowl. Remove from bowl and knead mixture until firm and clay-like. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
Roll dough onto flat surface to about ¼ inch thick. Cut with various shapes of cookie cutters. Poke hole in top with drinking straw. Place ornaments on cookie sheets and allow to dry, about 5 days. Thread ribbon through hole and tie securely.
Makes 30 ornaments.

I made some a couple of years ago and used the star in the Creative Cutters set. They smell fantastic and are really cute. This year I used a gingerbread man cookie cutter and attached some pretty ribbon.

The original PC recipe can be found on CC under recipe search. It was designed to be used with the stoneware heart molds.

I have wanted to do these for years: http://www.debduzscrappin.com/tutorials/paper_rolls_ornament.htm

I have a ton of scrapbook paper laying around... maybe I will do that this year, lol.

What about making a cook w/apron out of mini-marshmallows or something? Have you seen those 'Smores ornaments? Maybe too labor intensive though.

homemade pretzel wreaths from last year's Homemade For The Holidays

Related to What are some creative ideas for homemade ornaments for an exchange group?

What is "Calling All Crafty People..."?

"Calling All Crafty People..." is a special event organized by Pampered Chef for all the creative individuals out there. It's a fun and interactive event where we showcase our latest crafting products and provide tips and inspiration for various DIY projects.

How can I attend "Calling All Crafty People..."?

To attend "Calling All Crafty People...", you can either purchase a ticket through our website or contact your local Pampered Chef consultant. Tickets are usually available a few weeks before the event.

What will I learn at "Calling All Crafty People..."?

At "Calling All Crafty People...", you will learn about the latest crafting trends, techniques, and products from our experienced consultants. You will also get to participate in hands-on demonstrations and make your own crafts to take home.

Do I need to bring anything to "Calling All Crafty People..."?

No, all the necessary crafting materials and tools will be provided at the event. Just come with an open mind and your creative spirit!

Is "Calling All Crafty People..." only for experienced crafters?

No, "Calling All Crafty People..." is for everyone! Whether you are a beginner or an experienced crafter, there will be something for you to learn and enjoy at the event. Our consultants are always happy to assist and guide you through the crafting process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • Tropicalburstqt2
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Tropicalburstqt2
Replies