• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Weird Question From Hosts - Hosts Prepping Ingredients...

In summary, some hosts may ask what baking sheet a guest will need to make a recipe, while other hosts may have everything ready and waiting. Either way, hosts should be prepared with ingredients and know what they will need to do the demo.
PamperedK
Silver Member
I've had 2 hosts recently who've asked me what sort of baking sheet I'll need to make my recipe. Now, one host was actually a hosts mother who had never seen PC before, so I sort of understood. But the other has hosted before...is there something I should be saying during my host coaching calls to ensure they know that I'm providing all of the products I need to do my demo? Is this a common thing?

The funny thing is, the first host (the mother) had everything washed, chopped, measured and grated before I got there. I actually had to sneak a piece of cheese and a new garlic clove from her kitchen before the demo (the daughter is my friend, so it was OK) so I could actually show some products! She had the garlic peeled and cut and all the cheese grated and measured out! Then she says "ok honey, now what kind of pan do you need to bake that thing?" It was actually quite funny, but weird at the same time...am I missing something in my host coaching calls?

No, I don't think you're missing anything, I think you have a potential recruit!

pcchris said:
No, I don't think you're missing anything, I think you have a potential recruit!
Haha I thought that too - with both...the mom would be AWESOME in that she's very peppy and fun and when she gets into something she really gets into it. Plus she's done DS before. Except that she's very "stuck in her ways" about cooking - she didn't buy ANYTHING at the show - she let her daughter use all the FPV. She's very happy with what she has.The other host, who's show is tomorrow is actually another DS consultant, so I'll definitely bring it up to her...I just have to figure out what to say. :confused:

LMAO!! That is so funny! I did have a problem with this until I started buying ingredients for my hosts. No matter how many times I told my hosts I needed BLOCK cheese they always bought shredded...

I like knowing that I have everything for my show when I leave my house and just have my host pay me back for the ingredients.

gilliandanielle said:
LMAO!! That is so funny! I did have a problem with this until I started buying ingredients for my hosts. No matter how many times I told my hosts I needed BLOCK cheese they always bought shredded...

I like knowing that I have everything for my show when I leave my house and just have my host pay me back for the ingredients.

I was thinking about that...I might start doing it but not until I have more stable income. The only thing I worry about with asking for reimbursement is that people here are so cheap they probably wouldn't like spending more money, especially if they had the ingredients at home.

I supply some ingredients...for example, this month I'm doing a recipe that calls for fresh parmesan cheese...not many people I know use fresh parm, so I bought a chunk and am bringing it to all my shows. Especially since parm is SUPER expensive here and you only ever need a small amount.

I let my hosts know ahead of time that they pay me the $15ish for the recipe and see if they have any of the ingredients. I haven't had a problem and most hosts are relieved that they don't have to add to their shopping list.

I asked my host to have the cake batter ready (for the turtle fudge skillet cake) for when I get there I will put it in my skillet. Well, she did in fact had it already bake in her cake pan!!:eek:

gilliandanielle said:

I do the same thing for the same reason as well as eliminating any mistakes if they do the shopping. I had one host, who is an awesome lady I knew from church, and she had to go to the Commissary (military grocery store) so she really insisted on getting the stuff while she was there. Well, I needed phyllo and she bought puff pasty because she just didn't realize it wasn't the same thing. :)

I felt bad for her but it reminded me of why I buy the ingredients.

I usually tell my hosts what I need, but not a measured amount...

1 pkg block cheese
1 garlic clove
1 onion....

that way they don't prep any of the food because they're not sure how much is actually needed :D

I usually tell them at some point, "just gather the ingredients together in a pile in the fridge...this is supposed to be easy for you, so I will do all the chopping and grating and such so I can show off my cool tools!" (I throw in the show off line because I've had a few say, "oh, I don't mind, I'll chop it all up for you...")

I think it would be hard here to ask for packages or blocks of anything. I noticed a lot of US recipes call for blocks, packages, sticks, etc...here we have so many different sizes of everything that a "block" of cheese could be anything. I guess I could figure out how many oz of cheese I'd need...

I always tell my hostess to just have the veggies washed, but I'll do the chopping,dicing, and cooking.

on the recipe list I give my hosts it has the ing. listed but no instructions.
ex:
Taffy Apple Salad
1 8oz can pineapple tidbits in juice
2 med red apples
2 med Granny Smith apples
½ cup dry roasted peanuts
4 oz cream cheese
1 cup frozen whipped topping
1 cup miniature marshmallows

On my host info sheet it says to have everything out and washed. In my last call I ask them if everything went ok with shopping for the ingredients. Every now and then there is an issue but it is not usually something major.

I have toyed with the idea of bringing the ingredients. I have ofered it a few times to hosts who I know are extremely busy.

Just my $.02 :D

I have always bought the ingredients for my hosts & I've never had a problem with them doing any prep before the show. I like having it at home, where I can wash & prep as much as I need to at home so I don't have to get to the host's house so early. I show up about 30 minutes before the show, bring in the stuff, set up & I'm ready to go! The hosts have never complained about reimbursing me--I tell them in my first host coaching call how I like to pamper my hosts & how all they need to do is add the cost of the food to their order--& I never charge more than $15 since they only get $15 in FPV. But I always choose inexpensive recipes for that reason.

In reading this thread today and a few others I can't help but think to myself how cool it is to see how others do things and what works for them and also how awesome this business is that we are able tailor it to suit our needs. I mean really how many jobs let you decide what you want to do?

I LOVe PC!!!

I havent' had that problem... one reason is that I buy the ingridence..... but the hostess always likes to watch me while I am preping and asking me about my tools... before the show starts..it's fun to be able to sit and chat with the hostess before other guest get their.

Winnipegk said:
I've had 2 hosts recently who've asked me what sort of baking sheet I'll need to make my recipe. Now, one host was actually a hosts mother who had never seen PC before, so I sort of understood. But the other has hosted before...is there something I should be saying during my host coaching calls to ensure they know that I'm providing all of the products I need to do my demo? Is this a common thing?

The funny thing is, the first host (the mother) had everything washed, chopped, measured and grated before I got there. I actually had to sneak a piece of cheese and a new garlic clove from her kitchen before the demo (the daughter is my friend, so it was OK) so I could actually show some products! She had the garlic peeled and cut and all the cheese grated and measured out! Then she says "ok honey, now what kind of pan do you need to bake that thing?" It was actually quite funny, but weird at the same time...am I missing something in my host coaching calls?

back when the wraps were new I had a host that not only chopped, sliced and peeled everything she put all the wraps together. All I could do was talk, it was very awkward. I have started buying the ingredients also, that way I get what I want and can do most of the prep before I leave my house.

Isn't it funny how people just don't pay attention? I've had hosts want to do it all ahead, too. And one of them had been to probably 3 shows in a 1-year period! If they ask about having things done, I try to gently remind them that "If you do it all, I won't have anything to use to show off the tools, and then your sales will be really low." That's usually enough to get them to back away from their tool drawer.

I had a host that did the whole recipe before the show too! I jokingly told her that now she HAD to sign up because I couldn't submit the show under my name unless I made the recipe. She didn't bite but it might work for someone! :D

lol Gillian, maybe 1 day

I actually ended up having to make my recipe ahead of time yesterday...since my host didn't have a table for me to demo on!!! I asked her if she did, I even offered to bring my card table. No, she said she had one. Well, the one she had was a teeny tiny coffee table that was no more than 2 ft off the floor!!

She could have called one of her guests to bring a card table.

Winnipegk said:
I actually ended up having to make my recipe ahead of time yesterday...since my host didn't have a table for me to demo on!!! I asked her if she did, I even offered to bring my card table. No, she said she had one. Well, the one she had was a teeny tiny coffee table that was no more than 2 ft off the floor!!
I demoed a Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake on my knees at a Coffee Table in January!

Winnipegk said:
LOL! I made the clubhouse chicken squares on a 18" x 18" end table at my Saturday show! I made the crust ahead of time so I was slicing the cucumber with the mandoline and cutting up the tomatoes on this tiny table on my knees!!

I prefer to bring my own ingredients. I have never had a host complain. It's easier for them. The reason I started doing this was because one host let her husband do the shopping. I was making the pecan lattace. He bought frozen pie crusts :eek: instead of refrigerated pie crusts. Luckily, I live just 1 block over, so I ran home to get the correct thing.

It is just easier for them and me. I won't fret trying to figure out how to make things work.

I think I might start buying the ingredients too! That just ensures you getting exactly what you need to get. Thanks for great advice!!!

I was trying to figure out how to make the stupid thing on the coffee table...but there was NO way! Hahaha so I decided to just make it in advance. She's a PL rep so her friends are used to "catalog walkthroughs" anyway....

I offer a free recipe to every host. It's like an extra incentive for booking with me. Plus I always know I have EVERYTHING that I will need. I keep the receipts, they are tax deductable.

For the few shows I have done, I have bought the ingredients, they seem to be kind of expensive for some things, I know they say $15 but I really think it is more than that, And I never got re-embursed. How do you ask for the money back. I use the $15 FPV as an incentive, it isnt really free then is it

Related to Weird Question From Hosts - Hosts Prepping Ingredients...

What ingredients do I need to have prepped before my Pampered Chef party?

Before your party, it's important to have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go. This includes chopping vegetables, measuring out dry ingredients, and marinating any meats. Having everything prepped will make the cooking process smoother and more efficient.

Do I need to have all the ingredients laid out during the party?

While it's not necessary to have all the ingredients laid out, it can be helpful to have them easily accessible. This allows your guests to see and touch the ingredients, making the experience more interactive and educational.

How far in advance can I prep ingredients before the party?

You can prep ingredients a day or two before your party, but it's best to do it as close to the party as possible. This ensures that the ingredients are fresh and won't spoil before the party starts.

Are there any ingredients that should not be prepped ahead of time?

Some ingredients, such as fresh herbs or avocado, should not be prepped too far in advance as they can brown or lose their flavor. It's best to prep these ingredients right before the party starts.

Can I delegate ingredient prep to my guests?

Absolutely! Don't be afraid to ask your guests to help with ingredient prep. This can be a fun and interactive activity for everyone to participate in, and it will also save you time and effort.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PCJenni
  • Kitchen2u
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • chefmoseley
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies