• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Venting) Frustrations of an Office Manager

my contract with this company. I am also looking for a job outside of this company. I think the company, while stressful, has been good to me. So, I want to try and be fair to them by giving them a quitting notice and letting them know at the same time that I am looking for a new job. You are right, it will not last forever. Hang in there! I hope things work out for you.
mandydollie
Hey everyone~

It's one of those days that I just need to vent and there is no one around except this board. I've been with my full-time job for 5 years now and most days enjoy what I do. I'm an office manager for a commercial construction company. However, over the past six months or so the company is undergoing some changes and the atmosphere in this office is almost unbearable. We have two owners and right now they barely speak to each other. I'm the only woman who works for this entire company and I'm stressed to the max. Here's my trouble... this company has helped me so much. They bought my house and I'm buying it on contract from them, they have paid me very well, they give me time off to spend with my daughter if she's sick, etc... however, the stress of an office divided is getting to me. I wake up now in the morning and dread coming to work. When I get home at night I'm exhausted from all the griping that goes on here. And to top it off I don't stay busy for the 8 hours that Im here, so the day drags on. I would love to find a job that I was passionate about again (other than my part time PC business). However, I don't know where I can go and make the kind of money that I do here. Normally, money isn't a motivator for me... but with my house payment, car payment and wedding expenses it has to be right now.

<pulling hair out at her desk>
Amanda:(

Hi Amanda,
We have all been in a similar situation... ironically, I had a situation JUST LIKE YOURS, when I, too worked for a commercial construction company! I couldn't bear it.
I was already looking for new jobs and planning my escape, when 9/11 happened and I got laid off the VERY NEXT DAY! It took a horrible event to bless me! I, too, was a single parent, I was out of work, and with all the lay-offs after 9/11, I was one of thousands looking for a new job! It took some time, and it all worked out.
This is what I did, I just prayed and I spent as much time as possible looking for another opportunity!
I wish you the best!! Hang in there!!! Everything always works out for the best and this too, while unbearable now, will not last forever!!

Take care!! Let us know how it goes!! You'll be fine!! :)

((((HUGS))))
Jaye

Thanks Jaye

I am so sorry you are going through this. Continue to pray and God will show you the way.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong & courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Hang in there! When is the wedding? If it's soon, can you look for another job afterwards? Or, do you want to take your PC biz to the next level & make it your full time job? It definately is no fun to be stuck in a job you're not happy with! I was so happy when I got to quit my weekend job waitressing. I was really unhappy at the restaurant I was at; now the only time I have to wait tables is when my parents need help at their cafe.
Remember the saying, 'this too shall pass':)

BTW, how'd your mystery host at the school go--or is that next month?

The mystery host is the 2nd and 3rd week of October. I would love to be able to stay at home after the wedding....(February 10th), or more likely after I have another baby. We'll be trying soon after the wedding. Hopefully i can stick this out until then and maybe by then my PC business will have grown enough that I can stay home and maybe do daycare or something in my home and not have to work out of the home full-time.

Do you have a good enough relationship with your bosses that you can tell them the way you are feeling? Don't focus on them focus on you if you think you can do this.

You could also sit down and figure out how may shows you need to replace your income at that job and then start filling your calendar.

Amanda:
I am so sorry to hear you are going through a bad time. I have a similar situation with my job. The stress is killing me. But, I have been praying about it for about 3 months and I...and God...have decided that it is time to move on. I plan to leave at the end of December. I am married and have 3 children, so my situation is a little different from yours. My husband makes a good living with our restaurant and catering business, so even though I make a great income here, we can make it up with me helping him and deleting some employee hours. Sometimes less stress is better than money. I have held on to the fact that I make a good living here, but I have finally come to the conclusion that it is time to move on. I agree that if you are close to your bosses that you should talk to them. If that would just create more stress, then you can look for something else while you are working there and hope and pray that something better will open up. Just keep praying and God will make a way. His word says he will supply all of our needs according to HIS riches and glory. And, that He will bless beyond what we can imagine. All we have to do is stay faithful to him.

I am fairly close with my one boss, or I was at one time. For the past couple of years they have been talking about allowing a few of us employees buy in to the company. Well this sounded like a great opportunity until I really sat down and realized that being part owner of a construction company would mean long hours and working weekends on bids, etc. After realizing the amount of time that I would have to put in away from my family I respectfully declined their offer to buy in. The day that I told my boss, he made me feel pretty bad..saying that I was just opting out because of my fiance and the fact that I was getting married. That I shouldn't depend on Scott for money. That wasn't it at all. I've never depened on anyone. I live in a $150,000 house, drive a 2005 vehicle and support myself fully. My decision was based on my best interests. Ever since that discussion I just don't feel as close to them. Couple that with the stress of being here right now and I just wonder if it would be easier to continue looking for something different and replace this job completely. Sorry this is so long.... but I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback!
Hugs to you all.

Congrats to you almost being a Jacobsen and my heart goes out to you about the job situation. My best advice is do what your heart tells you to do. That has worked for me. I use to work at a fast paced hospital with loss of stress and now I work at an opthomoligist office, way less stress and people are better to work for. There are some days when I come home and want to quit but I always think back to the hospital and realize that things are not that bad at my job right now. Let us know how everthing works out.

If it makes you feel any better I hate my job too! It's not very busy, but pays well. The part I hate the most is I have to document everything I do and how long it takes me in order to get paid. If I'm in a hurry I sometimes forget to document and then forget exactly how long it took - it's crazy!

The only reason I don't look for anything else is the flexibility allows me to do my Pampered Chef business. I would love to give up my day job for PC, but I'm still working on building the business. It's hard w/my day job and 3 kids in sports, but I'm trying! I'll get there some day!

Good luck on your upcoming wedding!

Mandy, I hope you can hang in there until the right thing comes along. I know what you mean about the stress of an office being divided. We have been going through that as well with a change in leadership and it's just the same old for the last 4 years...no matter which office of the co. I work in. So I hear ya about dreading it...but have faith that whatever is meant to be will work out.

1. How can I effectively communicate my frustrations as an office manager without causing conflict or tension?

As an office manager, it is important to express your frustrations in a calm and professional manner. Schedule a one-on-one meeting with your boss or team members to discuss your concerns. Use "I" statements to express how you feel and avoid blaming others. Also, be open to listening to their perspective and finding a solution together.

2. What can I do if my boss is the source of my frustrations?

If your boss is the source of your frustrations, it may be helpful to have a conversation with them about your concerns. Be respectful and express how their actions are impacting your work and the office environment. If the issue persists, consider talking to HR or higher management for further support.

3. How can I manage my frustrations with difficult coworkers?

Dealing with difficult coworkers can be challenging. Try to maintain a professional and positive attitude when interacting with them. If their behavior is affecting your work, address the issue with them directly or speak to your boss for guidance. It may also be helpful to find a way to collaborate with them effectively to improve the working relationship.

4. What is the best way to address frustrating office policies or procedures?

If you find yourself frustrated with office policies or procedures, it is best to address your concerns with your boss or HR. Provide specific examples and suggest potential solutions that could improve the policy or procedure. Remember to stay professional and respectful in your approach.

5. How can I cope with burnout and stress as an office manager?

Being an office manager can be a demanding job, and it is normal to experience burnout and stress. It is important to prioritize self-care and set boundaries to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Consider talking to your boss about your workload and see if there are any adjustments that can be made to help manage your stress levels. Additionally, find healthy ways to manage stress, such as exercising, taking breaks, and talking to a trusted friend or therapist.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• luvs2cook
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
luvs2cook
  • Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookindiva63
Replies