• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using the Pastry Mat? Real Experiences from Real Bakers!

In summary, the PC Mat is an awesome product. It is 100% silicone, heat safe to 500 degrees, and has extensive measurements in both round and rectangle shapes. It is larger and thicker than most mats, and has reinforcing fibers through it to prevent cutting. It is also larger and thicker than most stones, so it would be pretty tough to bake on it. However, you can lightly cut or chop on it, and it is an extra working surface at shows.
laylaleigh
I had a customer ask very specific questions about the pastry mat last night. Anyone who has the pastry mat and has used it please let me know how it really works. The customer is my host's sister and the host is a friend. Not that it makes a difference, a customer is a customer, but I really want to make sure I quide her correctly.

Question: she bakes a lot and wants to use the mat for cookies/dough that are sticky. She said what you would typically roll out and have flour underneath. She wants to make sure they are not going to stick to the mat at all. She has had other mats and they still stick.

My question; have you used it, how is it, the nitty gritty.

Thanks!!
Layla

I've used it once to roll the dough out for the Family Calzone. It worked great. I put a little flour on the dough itself and floured the mat. Didn't get stuck once. Love this mat!

This is an awesome product. 100% silicone. Heat safe to 500 degrees so you can put things like peanut brittle on it!

You do need to use some flour but I don't think it will have the same eventual "sticky" feel that some mats get.

The one thing you are NOT to do on this new mat is cut on it.

It is also larger and thicker than most bakers mats and has extensive measurements in both round and rectangle shapes.

Can you actually bake on it, though? Thanks!

You're not supposed to actually bake on it. Mats for baking (Silpat) have reinforcing fibers through them. And the PC Mat is larger than any of our stones, and in fact most home ovens, so it would be pretty tough.

bethsbiz said:
This is an awesome product. 100% silicone. Heat safe to 500 degrees so you can put things like peanut brittle on it!

You do need to use some flour but I don't think it will have the same eventual "sticky" feel that some mats get.

The one thing you are NOT to do on this new mat is cut on it.

It is also larger and thicker than most bakers mats and has extensive measurements in both round and rectangle shapes.
I didn't see that on the use and care card and ran one of the forged knives and the pizza cutter across it and it did not cut it nor even make a mark. I will not suggest people use it as a cutting board because use and care says no cutting but FYI it's not that sensitive to sharps! I haven't used it yet with dough so I can't speak to the original question though...

ALSO, my DH stole mine and took it to work to use as a writing pad on his desk. He says it's perfect for that and just the right size! - And now he's advertizing my business to everyone!:balloon:

I would feel perfectly comfortable trimming a pie crust or cutting out cookies on the mat. As for sticking, a bit of flour is all I've found necessary.

The test kitchens said that you could GENTLY use a knife or our pizza cutter when trimming dough...just to be careful not to cut INTO the pad!

I am very excited about this mat! I never used the other one, cuz I don't make pies (I just can't make pie dough!!) and usually if I am rolling out something...it's into a RECTANGLE not circle like our old one. This one is the best of both worlds!

I think I will be making some peanut brittle this baking season...I was so excited when they showed that at NC!

Has anyone else tried it out?

Used it Love it!!I used this last night to make homemade noodles. Had no troubles with the noodle dough sticking used a little dab of flour. I also used a knife to cut my noodles too. No problem there either. I know your not supposed to so I just cut lightly and carefully.. I also like the mat as an extra working surface at shows. I put my cutting board on top of the mat. It helps with clean up and there is extra space to put things i have chopped.

1. How do I clean the pastry mat?

The pastry mat can be cleaned by wiping it down with a damp cloth and mild soap. It can also be placed in the top rack of the dishwasher for easy cleaning.

2. Can I use the pastry mat in the oven?

No, the pastry mat is not designed to be used in the oven. It is meant for preparing and rolling out dough on a flat surface.

3. Is the pastry mat non-stick?

Yes, the pastry mat is made with a non-stick surface to make rolling out dough easier and to prevent sticking.

4. How do I store the pastry mat?

The pastry mat can be rolled up and stored in a cool, dry place. It is recommended to store it in its original packaging or in a sealed plastic bag to prevent dust or debris from collecting on it.

5. Can I use the pastry mat for other types of dough besides pastry dough?

Yes, the pastry mat can be used for rolling out all types of dough, including bread dough, pizza dough, and cookie dough.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • chefann
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • bridgetbakes
  • Products and Tips
Replies