• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unsupportive Spouse - Vent Warning!!!

In summary, my husband is giving me attitude because I am working harder than he is. He does not understand why I am doing this and he does not appreciate it. I try to stick to my schedule and not let him influence my decisions, but it is hard.
jrny2001
Silver Member
I started my Biz in April. He (my husband) was fine with it. Now that I am trying to pick up the pace a bit and really try to work my biz, attend every training I can, spend some evenings on the phone or getting ready for shows (while he is watching his tv shows), my husband is giving major attitude!! He's making me second guess this whole thing. :mad:

Thanks for leting me vent!!!

Sorry you are dealing with that. My DH is fairly supportive but when I need to get on the phone or get organized I am at times undermined. Because I initially started this to generate more income I think he feels bad - like I have to do "extra work" and he doesn't want me to have to. Chivalry... I just tell him to pick his knuckles up off the ground and move on.

What he doesn't seem to realize is how much I love to do it. Even when I am overwhelmed I am careful not to complain. Good luck - make the ribs in the deep covered baker. Maybe that will work!

He can't MAKE you second guess your decision---you have to do that on your own! Set your schedule, even if with his input, and stick to it! Consistency is key to our business, not just with recruiting and shows, but in our 'office time' as well.
Good luck to you in your business!

My husband is usually supportive but there are times that he is far from that. It's my fault though. I tend to LOOK like I'm working all the time. So now I have office hours and no work hours. There are times that I say "I will be on the phone tonight" or "for the next 2 hours" and there are times that I do not answer the phone or schedule anything.

We have set aside one week night for date night and neither of us is supposed to work in any manner that night (he has broken the "rule" twice already!). That has helped a lot. He sees that I am trying to separate my work from my "life" which is hard for me.

It's hard for many people who are self-employed. I think that's why so many end up failing. Everyone needs to get away from work and enjoy the things that we say we chose this kind of work for in the first place.

jrny2001 said:
I started my Biz in April. He (my husband) was fine with it. Now that I am trying to pick up the pace a bit and really try to work my biz, attend every training I can, spend some evenings on the phone or getting ready for shows (while he is watching his tv shows), my husband is giving major attitude!! He's making me second guess this whole thing. :mad:

Thanks for leting me vent!!!
Oh my gosh! First of all don't apologize we all do it! Husbands will be husbands and you just need to tell him the benefits you are getting out of it.. Everyone is in it for different reasons... I enjoy the products, the giving free stuff away or at discounted prices, and I have made lots of friends in which you will not find a more supportive bunch than this... that being said good luck with your business and keep your chin up!

Better to vent here than to your DH. Having said that, you must have a chat with him in a loving kind sort of way. Tell him how great he is, tell him your sorry for blah blah blah, ask him what he wants/needs, and tell him what you need/want. Then make an agreement and stick to it. You may have to give a little, but hopefully, he will give too.

Wait till you take him on the first PC trip all expense paid. Then he may see things diffently. I was in the same boat with you.

That was my answer. My husband always says that he supports my business, but I get the groans and grumbles about the time it takes... but he loves the trips. so he usually keeps his comments to himself

Been there, done that! If you really love doing this, just stand your ground. That is what I did and he doesn't complain so much anymore. He still fusses at times when I have shows and he has to watch our two year old by himself. (Don't know what would happen if something happened to me). I just smile inside really big and say "Bye, I love you and I will see you tonight." When I have shows, that is the only time that I have to myself. I am a SAH mom and I babysit my friends 2 kids. I have to have PC for my sanity. Good luck!

Chef Stacy Edwards said:
Wait till you take him on the first PC trip all expense paid. Then he may see things diffently. I was in the same boat with you.
Or better yet, threaten to take a friend instead! LOL:D

I would flat out call him on his behavior. My husband wasn't supportive when I was doing a HUGE volunteer project when we were 1st married, and I called him on it. He apologized and said that wasn't his intention - he's never done again.

missyciccolella said:
Or better yet, threaten to take a friend instead! LOL:D

I would flat out call him on his behavior. My husband wasn't supportive when I was doing a HUGE volunteer project when we were 1st married, and I called him on it. He apologized and said that wasn't his intention - he's never done again.
I agree. My husband waffles between being my best cheerleader and thinking I should give it up but he loves the trips and other perks (like the SS cookware :love: ). If I really think about it his complaints come when I'm not working smart so it's not all bad. We all need checks and balances.

The problem with this business is that some poeple don't take it seriously - it's just a pin money or play thing - not a business. ...if they only knew! And it's our job to get them (DH's and prospective recruits) to see the possibilities!

Boy am I sorry to hear that. I really don't know what to say. My DH has claimed for the last 5 or so years that i am never home. I wish I had a time clock to punch to show him how much I am home. I am careful to not be on the phone too much (it bothers him). He calls me Pampered Evelyn (w/sarcasm). Claims I am a salesperson. He thinks PC replaced our marriage though when I go do shows he usually falls asleep or is in front of the TV. Am I supposed to just sit in front of the TV with him and watch life pass by?
I wonder if he is just envious of the fun and friends?

Running a Pampered Chef business can definately be time consuming, especially if you have a large number of shows/training each month. When I was building up my business, I remember I would do shows whenever people wanted just because I was happy to have the shows. That way it seemed I would have a week without shows and then another week with 3-4 shows in a row. I also was in the "honeymoon" period where I was so excited and was doing all of the training I could, talking over ideas with other consultants, going online to review materials etc.

Once I set regular business hours as Beth suggested things were easier on me and my family. My husband appreciated knowing ahead of time when I was working and when I wasn't.

Try discussing what you both feel are reasonable hours/boundaries. Getting his imput should make a big difference in the support.

After only being in PC for 1 week, I have a grumbling husband myself...but after making plenty of goodies when trying out recipes he doesn't complain too much. His biggest complaint is that we don't see each other or spend time together. I work FT during the day, have a PT job in a retail store and now PC. I hope to give up the PT job if PC works out. I keep telling him, you won't be complaining when we have new cookware for practically nothing! I think they get you to really think whether or not its worth it because they haven't seen the rewards like everyone else out there who has gone on cruises and other trips that were paid for. I tell my DH give it time...

It took me a year to get my hubby to agree to me selling PC. He likes the money part of it but hates when I have to do shows, call people, go to meetings, buy supplies, and pretty much anything else to do with it. Oh and he loves when I make sell athons and get free product. He is a turd head and I tell him that i like it. I was doing 4 shows a month, but now that i am in school I am going to do 1 a month, but I haven't gotten that far yet, still doing several from what I had booked! Tell him to get over it!! :p really you need to talk aboutit and tell him you love wht you do. i finally got mine to hush!!

Thank you so much! I'm glad I'm not alone. I will discuss this with him and set some business hours. Good Advice. I will NOT let him destroy my dream!!! But a little support would be nice.

Related to Unsupportive Spouse - Vent Warning!!!

What can I do if my spouse doesn't support my Pampered Chef business?

If your spouse doesn't support your business, it can be difficult to stay motivated and focused. One thing you can do is have an honest and open conversation with your spouse about how their lack of support is affecting you. Try to understand their perspective and address any concerns or misunderstandings they may have. You can also try to involve your spouse in your business by asking for their help with tasks or inviting them to attend events with you.

How can I balance my Pampered Chef business with my family life?

Balancing your business with your family life can be challenging, but it's important to establish boundaries and prioritize your time. Schedule specific times for work and family, and try to stick to them as much as possible. Delegate tasks when possible and don't be afraid to ask for help from your spouse or other family members. Communication is key in finding a balance that works for everyone.

What if my spouse doesn't see my Pampered Chef business as a legitimate job?

Some spouses may not see direct sales or network marketing as a legitimate job. It's important to educate them on the potential for success in this industry and the hard work and dedication it takes to run a successful business. You can also provide them with information and resources from Pampered Chef to help them understand the company and its products.

How can I handle negative comments or criticism from my spouse about my Pampered Chef business?

It can be hurtful and discouraging to receive negative comments or criticism from anyone, especially your spouse. It's important to remember that everyone has their own opinions and not take their comments personally. Try to have a calm and respectful conversation about their concerns and address them in a productive manner. If the criticism continues to be a problem, consider seeking advice from your upline or other consultants for support and guidance.

What are some ways to involve my spouse in my Pampered Chef business?

Involving your spouse in your business can help them feel more supportive and connected to your work. You can ask for their help with tasks such as packaging orders or organizing products. You can also invite them to attend events with you or participate in online parties. Another idea is to cook or bake together using Pampered Chef products and recipes, which can be a fun and enjoyable way to involve your spouse in your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrny2001
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jrny2001
  • princessmeshelle
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PChefPEI
Replies