• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unlocking the Power of Diversity in the Workplace: Why This Site Works"

In summary, the speaker in the meeting at work this morning used mathematical models to show that a diverse group is significantly more likely to produce better work faster than a homogenous group, even when that group is comprised of the "best of the best."
chefann
Gold Member
I was in a meeting at work this morning, and we watched a video about diversity in the workplace. Rather than being the usual mumbo-jumbo about how politically correct it is, the speaker used mathematical models to show that a diverse group is significantly more likely to produce better work faster than a homogenous group, even when that group is comprised of the "best of the best."

In a nutshell, it boils down to people's differences affecting how they think and approach problems, and the tools they bring to the situation (problem solving tools, not kitchen tools :) ). I realized that explanation is a perfect description of this site! We all know at least a little about PC, but have so many different backgrounds and skillsets that, given a little collaboration, can solve just about any PC-related problem.

Makes sense to me...

Once again... Ann rocks!

Very well put.....:D

chefann said:
given a little collaboration, can solve just about any PC-related problem.

Also can solve quite a few non-PC-related problems that I have seen discussed.

Great group of folks and every day I am glad I was led to you all.

You know what bugs me? The Ignore feature. While there are many annoying posts every so often and even consistently annoying posters they add to the discussion. They offer a different insight that you miss out on by ignoring them. Yes, you may save yourself the headache of reading an offensive post, but you may also miss something really valuable.

Chef Kearns said:
You know what bugs me? The Ignore feature. While there are many annoying posts every so often and even consistently annoying posters they add to the discussion. They offer a different insight that you miss out on by ignoring them. Yes, you may save yourself the headache of reading an offensive post, but you may also miss something really valuable.

You are right....I always learn something new! It may not be real valuable knowledge but it is knowledge!

True diversity (not the PC mumbo-jumbo) is great. I agree that the differing backgrounds and skills we each bring make this a great place for finding answers to lots of PC (and other) dilemmas.

Chef Kearns said:
The people that I have on ignore cannot possibly add anything to any discussion that would be of value to me. They know who they are, and they know why I feel that way about them.

There are plenty of other wonderful people here that add far more to any discussion than the morons on my iggy list can add, combined.

chefann said:
Why this site works
I thought you were going to say that vBulletin doesn't have as many bugs in it as it used to.

:D

WELL!! Please know this....

I have no idea where the ignore feature is or how or if I can set it...

So I listen :balloon: to everyone....

Diversity is paramount to succeeding!!!

Remember the old "there is no "I" in team" ? It's true - I expect all comments to have some sort of effect on my responses...

good or bad...

Bring em on!!! :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: (I love this little icon)

PCGINA said:
WELL!! Please know this....

I have no idea where the ignore feature is or how or if I can set it...

So I listen :balloon: to everyone....

Diversity is paramount to succeeding!!!

Remember the old "there is no "I" in team" ? It's true - I expect all comments to have some sort of effect on my responses...

good or bad...

Bring em on!!! :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: (I love this little icon)

Yes, but you can't spell "team" without "me."

raebates said:
LOL! I am gonna save that one to use in the future!!

Ann...thanks for telling us about your meeting this morning! This site is such a wealth of info (PC and non-PC) and I am thankful that I have this community to come to. We share in successes, failures, and lift each other up through advice and prayer many times.

We have a super group of people here!

:love: :love: :chef: :D :love: :love:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The people that I have on ignore cannot possibly add anything to any discussion that would be of value to me. They know who they are, and they know why I feel that way about them.

There are plenty of other wonderful people here that add far more to any discussion than the morons on my iggy list can add, combined.
Hey Chef Kearns.....guess you're not on the list! :p

raebates said:

I was just going to add that one and scrolled down to see Rae beat me. :)

I know I'm not. He likes me too much :D!! I just think some people put others on their's it in the heat of a discussion and end up missing out on stuff. Ya Know? I'm not worried about TKG!

janetupnorth said:
I was just going to add that one and scrolled down to see Rae beat me. :)

Great minds, Janet.

Actually, I seldom miss anything from people on the iggy list because, invariably, someone else quotes them in another post.The other reality is that most of the [derogatory plural noun deleted] on my iggy list don't post here anymore. I wasn't the only one that didn't care for their behavior nor their form of rhetoric.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Actually, I seldom miss anything from people on the iggy list because, invariably, someone else quotes them in another post.

The other reality is that most of the [derogatory plural noun deleted] on my iggy list don't post here anymore. I wasn't the only one that didn't care for their behavior nor their form of rhetoric.

True, you're just more verbal/direct about it. ;)

I noticed the same thing...most tend to move on or get with the program and start to be nicer. :D

Related to Unlocking the Power of Diversity in the Workplace: Why This Site Works"

1. What does diversity in the workplace mean?

Diversity in the workplace refers to the variety of differences among people in an organization, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, religion, and disability. It also encompasses diversity of thought, experiences, and backgrounds.

2. Why is diversity important in the workplace?

Diversity is important in the workplace because it brings a wide range of perspectives, ideas, and skills, which can lead to increased creativity, innovation, and problem-solving. It also promotes a more inclusive and welcoming environment, leading to higher employee engagement and retention.

3. How does diversity benefit a company?

Diversity benefits a company in numerous ways. It can improve decision-making, foster a more positive work culture, and increase the company's appeal to a wider customer base. It also helps attract top talent and can lead to better financial performance.

4. What can I do to promote diversity in the workplace?

There are many things you can do to promote diversity in the workplace. You can start by educating yourself and others about the importance of diversity and inclusion, actively seeking out and listening to diverse perspectives, and advocating for diversity initiatives within your organization. It's also important to create a safe and respectful environment for all employees.

5. How can I address diversity-related conflicts in the workplace?

If you encounter diversity-related conflicts in the workplace, it's important to address them promptly and directly. This can involve having open and honest conversations with all parties involved, actively listening to each person's perspective, and working towards a mutually beneficial solution. It's also important to involve HR or a mediator if necessary to ensure a fair and respectful resolution.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • hollye44
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies