• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Make Me Feel Special" - The Power of Recognition and Kindness

In summary, this email discusses how to make someone feel special. Human beings thrive on recognition, so when we communicate with others, it is important to notice and pay attention to them. We can do this by giving them our full attention, remembering their name, or by acknowledging their accomplishments or comments.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
This was an email I just received from my director - thought it was so good!

"Make Me Feel Special " by Amanda Gore

Reader's Digest often has wonderful little "thought provokers." In one of their issues, I read a comment by Mary Kay Ash, the founder of a very successful cosmetics company. The advice she gave to salespeople was to pretend every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says "make me feel important."

I thought about this and wondered what life would be like if we all walked around imagining that every person had a sign around their neck that says "make me feel special." Think about it - we all want to feel special and that we matter to those around us.

Human beings thrive on recognition! It's the number one motivating factor in the workplace, the number one driver of behavior in personal relationships, and - if we can't matter to you in a positive way - then we'll cause arguments or conflict so you will have to notice us.

What about children? If they are ignored for any length of time or if they don't feel special, what do they do? Anything to catch your attention - perhaps smear chocolate on the walls, bite your ankle while you're on the phone, and in general - they misbehave! But at least then you notice them.

Think about how your reactions to people would change if you saw this "make me feel special" sign every time you looked at them (even if they don't necessarily deserve it). I bet you would be amazed at the results! Maybe you would have less conflict, or people would treat you better, or with more respect, or they would seek out your company and want to spend more time with you.

To me, this is one of the most powerful communication tools I can think of. I've tried it and it really does change your mindset/attitude/approach (whatever you want to call it) when you communicate one-on-one and in groups.

How can you make people feel special? Well, try giving them your full attention when you are listening! Stop all that self-talk that is going on in the background. (You know, that little voice that mutters judgments simultaneously as they are speaking like "that's ridiculous!" or "how long is this going to take?" or "I'm missing the last episode of America's Got Talent while she's blabbing on and on!") Notice how much more quickly someone may stop talking because they feel you have really heard them.

Or you could try remembering their name; or some issue that was worrying them the last time you saw them and ask them about it; or the names of their children; or that there was some major event coming up in their lives and asking them about how it went; or by acknowledging some accomplishment of theirs; or a compliment about how they look; or what they did. There are a zillion things we can do to make other people feel special!

You could comment on a child's behavior when he or she was quiet while you were on the phone - telling them afterwards how much you appreciated their being quiet while you were talking - instead of shouting at them when they interrupt you.

Perhaps you could just smile at someone. What would the effect be if you tried this approach on strangers?! If you saw everyone as wanting to feel special - the bus driver, butcher, business person, accountant, policeman, store clerk - and tried to think about how to do that, everyone you meet for the first time would have a great first impression of you, because you made them feel good about themselves! Helping others boosts your immune system, so when you make other people feel special, you are also promoting your own health.

The other aspect to consider - and this is critical for wellness - is that YOU are walking around with a badge that says "make me feel special," too! When you look in the mirror, you see this neon sign flashing back at you, and hear a voice saying (maybe even pleading!) "make me feel special." If you find yourself looking in the mirror and muttering "yuck," or "geesh, look at those wrinkles," or "oh no, I look awful," or any of those familiar phrases we use to make ourselves feel anything but special...STOP!

See if you can find some aspects of yourself - behaviors, as well as physical and/or personality characteristics - that you are proud of. Think about comments others have made to you that made you feel special or unique. Remember and relive times when you felt wonderful, excited, or proud. These will all help you believe that you're special - because you are! You're unique and so is everyone else. We all have special gifts and if we recognize and acknowledge them in ourselves and others - just watch, hear, and feel how your world changes for the better!

Zoot-Zoot!

P.S. Here is a great book recommendation for all of you! Be sure to check out The Age of Speed by Vince Poscente. It was recently awarded the Top 30 Business Books for 2007 by Executive Book Summaries and is on the New York Times best-seller list. I know you will enjoy learning ways to thrive in our "more-faster-now" world and, as a bonus, you can read an excerpt of the book here:
http://www.beinvinceable.com/special-offer.cfm

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."

Leo Buscaglia

Thanks for sharing!! This was inspiring.

That isn't just a "must read", that's a MUST Share!!!

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing that was very inspiring!!! :)

Thanks! That is a great thing to keep in mind when dealing with ANYONE! Family, friends, customers, hosts...

1. How can I use recognition and kindness to make someone feel special?

There are many ways to use recognition and kindness to make someone feel special. Some ideas include writing a heartfelt note of appreciation, giving a small gift or token of gratitude, or simply taking the time to listen and show genuine interest in the other person's life. Acts of kindness, such as offering to help with a task or surprising them with their favorite treat, can also go a long way in making someone feel special.

2. Why is it important to make others feel special?

Making others feel special is important because it shows them that they are valued and appreciated. It can boost their self-esteem, strengthen relationships, and create a positive and supportive environment. When we make others feel special, it also makes us feel good and can improve our own well-being.

3. How can I incorporate recognition and kindness in the workplace?

Incorporating recognition and kindness in the workplace can be as simple as saying thank you and acknowledging someone's hard work or offering words of encouragement when needed. Creating a culture of appreciation and kindness can also involve implementing employee recognition programs, organizing team-building activities, and providing opportunities for employees to give and receive feedback.

4. What are some ways to make someone feel special on a budget?

You don't need to spend a lot of money to make someone feel special. Some budget-friendly ideas include making a homemade gift, planning a picnic or outdoor activity, or simply spending quality time together. Handwritten notes or cards, thoughtful compliments, and acts of service like cooking a meal or running errands for someone can also make them feel special without breaking the bank.

5. How can I make myself feel special through self-recognition and kindness?

Self-recognition and kindness are just as important as recognizing and being kind to others. Some ways to make yourself feel special include practicing self-care, setting aside time for hobbies and activities you enjoy, and acknowledging your own accomplishments and personal growth. It's also important to be kind to yourself and practice self-compassion, especially during difficult times.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cat2000
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
  • janezapchef