• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Un-Professional Candle Lady!!!!

In summary, the consultant is asking a customer to text them their credit card number. This is not appropriate practice and is likely to cause irritation or inconvenience to the customer.
lesliec
One of my best friends from college had a candle party this weekend. She lives 3 hrs away so I didn't go, but I told her I would order something. I have been emailing back and forth with the consultant about what scents she suggested, and emailed her my order last night and told her to call me and that I would give her my CC# over the phone. Hadn't heard from her yet. Just checked my email and she responded asking me if I would text it to her. Is it me or is it a bit unprofessional to ask a customer to text you their credit card number? I am not big into texting, but will do it if hosts or customers initiate it or are obvious about their use of that form of communication. She wants the 3 digit # off the back of the card too. Really?!?!?!?! in a text? Am I turning into too much of an old lady!!!!!

I'd just tell her that you don't give out personal info like that over a text message. If she wants the order, she'll have to call you for the info.

I wouldn't do it. If she wants the order she can take a minute and call you.

...but then I AM an old lady.

I am only 30..so no I am not an "old lady" but I would not give her my CC# over text..and I especially would not give my 3 digits over text.

What a shame that you are inconviencing her so much by asking for her to call you (enter sarcasm here)

Thanks guys, I thought maybe I was making too much of this, but glad that you all agree.

That's pure laziness on the consultant's part. Just like a prior poster said, email her and tell her you will not send personal information via email or text and in order to close out your order she'll need to call you for the info. Leave it at that. If she doesn't call then you save $$ :)

I think I am just not going to respond. I don't want her to think I am rude b/c I think she is actually friends with my friend.

I wouldn't text it or email it.

Now, knowing what I know about how we could handle credit card info, I don't even use a CC anymore when working with other DS.

I know that sounds VERY silly, since I am a consultant and take guest's CC#s.

When a customer writes their CC# on an order form, it is up to ME to SHRED it. I wonder if other DS consultants do that, just file them or just throw the order forms in the garbage without shredding???

Sorry to go off topic. :)

lesliec said:
I think I am just not going to respond. I don't want her to think I am rude b/c I think she is actually friends with my friend.

Either way. It's not rude tho...you are just stating your safety boundaries. If she gets huffy and puffy about it then it's her problem.
Doesn't matter if she's friends w/ your friend. Not like your friend is going to stop being your friend b/c you refuse to text your cc #.

I don't think it's paranoid to be cautious, especially in this day and age, with sharing information like this.

If it were me, I would probably email her and let her know that you don't feel sharing such information in this way, due to privacy concerns. Or, simply mail her a check, thereby requiring you to ask her for an address.

To be absolutely fair, it could be that she's honestly never even given it a thought, that your privacy could be compromised by doing it this way, so she may actually appreicate your "schooling" her, if it's done sweetly and not in a mean, "scolding" sort of way.

Hope that helps!

I've had people text me their CC#, but they usually do partial and then email the rest so that all the number and/or exp date and more aren't all in one spot.

ok, i did respond. i just said that i don't feel comfortable with electronic communication, so she could call when convenient or I can mail her a check. we'll see if she calls.

I'm sure you'll hear from her real soon! After all, she will want to get paid! lol

Do NOT email a credit card number, ever! I wouldn't recommend texting either. I work in the fraud department of a major credit card issuer, and I always make a point to get that information by phone, because email especially is not secure. I'm surprised at the customers who work with me at the bank who just proactively email me their card numbers. :eek:

E-mail and text messaging is just plain ol' not secure! She should understand that. If she doesn't, she needs to be made aware. That's why when you order online you have to be sure it's a secure website (like ours).It's not paranoid--it's appropriate and professional and realistic.My hair dresser e-mailed me her CC info once. I cringed when I got that e-mail. It doesn't take that much effort to just dial my number and give it to me. She knew I was home, too. It's just that she didn't know, wasn't aware of the vulnerability of the data that gets transmitted. To her, texting/e-mailing was just second nature, she just didn't think.

I make a point of telling my hosts to mail me the checks but to call with cc #s for outside orders, no e-mailing. I, too, have gotten a few people e-mailing me their cc #s. I get the # then quickly delete it and delete it from my trash can. Now if I could only catch up on the year+ of shredding that I need to do... It was insane the boxes of stuff I was moving with me to 3 different places this summer that needed to get shredded.

Oh boy ... I wouldn't text that info or e-mail it either!I did once have a customer who was in another state who sent me an email with the first 12 digits of her card and the last 4 and expiration date in a PM on a message board. Made her and I both feel more secure that way. She would have given it over the phone but if I wasn't home I'd have to put it on a piece of paper, which I would have later destroyed but she just felt more secure using technology.

did you ever hear from her??

yes she called me that afternoon and I gave her the info over the phone.
I don't think she'll be in business very long though, she wasn't very nice.

my bro-in-law is in military intelligence (oxy moron, right? lol.) anyways, he told us that texting is actually safer than giving info over a cell phone! he said many people can pickup cell conversations with police scanners these days! considering i don't have a landline anymore and only use my cell for business, this has me wondering what's safe....

I too would not do it any way either. I have already had one friend get messed up because she did NOT listen to me and texted her address to someone. Apparently yes, some of these can be picked up because a girl friend of the friend, picked up his phone and found the address and she went to my friends home and threatened her to stay away from her boyfriend. Of course she ended up feeling a total idiot when she found out that all he was doing was picking up a special piece of artwork he had done for her. Funny, I think they ended up breaking up too. So not that it can be picked up in the airwaves, but you just never know who might be snooping into your phone! As for e-mail, I will not even go there after having two people, again who would not listen, get there cc# stolen and the only time they ever sent i tout on-line as to me! I am not sure either if it is un-professional or just plain naive though. Some people really do trust that stuff much to much.

Yes - John is right. A phone call is a one time deal, and a text message can be saved forever. Just ask Tiger.

I agree that the phone calls can be intercepted, both cell and cordless phones. When I call a customer to get their cc # I specifically state that for security reasons, I'm not going to say their name, but ask "is the card in your name or your husband/wife's name?" "is there a middle initial or name on the card?" if yes, they obviously have to give it, but without the last name/spelling and most of the time no first name ... it helps put a damper on anyone who might be monitoring the airwaves and trying to steal info. ;)

If she had time to send you a text message to ask for it, she had time to make a 2 minute phone call to ask you for it. Sad thing is- where did she write it, what did she put it on and then what did she do with it? Good reason NOT to give someone a personal Debit Card...use a Visa/MC. (I know- supposedly debit cards have the same protection, but they've wiped out your bank account in the meantime and you don't always get it back right away! *personal knowledge through a friend*).Glad it worked out.

1. What exactly is an "Un-Professional Candle Lady"?

An "Un-Professional Candle Lady" is a derogatory term used to refer to individuals who sell candles without proper training or knowledge of the products they are selling.

2. Are all Pampered Chef consultants considered "Un-Professional Candle Ladies"?

No, only those who do not follow the proper training and guidelines set by the company may be considered "Un-Professional Candle Ladies".

3. How can I avoid buying from an "Un-Professional Candle Lady"?

To ensure you are purchasing from a trained and knowledgeable consultant, only buy Pampered Chef products from official company websites or through a consultant who has been properly trained and certified.

4. What are the risks of purchasing from an "Un-Professional Candle Lady"?

There is a higher risk of purchasing low-quality or unsafe products from an "Un-Professional Candle Lady" who may not be following proper safety and quality standards.

5. Can anyone become a Pampered Chef consultant or is there a screening process?

There is a screening process to become a Pampered Chef consultant, which includes training and certification. This ensures that all consultants are knowledgeable and professional when selling products to customers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
katem51
  • Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies