• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Two Time Management Questions for Y'all!

In summary, the conversation revolves around a consultant seeking advice on how to balance her personal and professional responsibilities, including holding "mega shows" and managing her daily tasks. Suggestions are given on creating a realistic schedule and using techniques like the "power hour" to stay organized and on track. The topic of "mega shows" is also discussed, with some mentioning having successful experiences with them.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
I need help!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I am limited to doing ONE "outside of the house" activity per week right now, due to my hubby's work schedule and other things out of my control. I want to do "mega shows" to make up for the lack of the number of parties I can hold in one month. Anyone here successfully and consistantly do these? Any one in your cluster? I really would like to chat via the phone with someone so I can really pick their brain about this!

My second question is this:

These are the things I need to do and keep up with weekly/daily:

Spritual time studying and praying DAILY
Family- have a 28 month old, 12 year old, and a 40 year old child (DH!:p )
Health- treadmill
Home-cleaning/laundry/cooking/etc.
PC-one show per week, ccc's, host coaching, etc.

How the heck do you all keep up?
Anyone have a "schedule" that includes things other than PC items?

I know that there are many of you that are even BUSIER than I am and you manage to keep up.
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I have a million more activities, but boy does my house show it. I'd almost rather trade a clean house for half of what I do right now - it would make life so much easier!

I guess what I have is things I "have" to do at a certain time...get up, get the kids off, go to work, pick up kids, take them places, church, camp, etc.

I guess I would suggest "scheduling" the other things and see if that helps. Schedule the laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc. and see if that help you out.

But schedule it in small manageable chunks like:

1. put 1 load of laundry in
2. pick up bedroom
3. wash dishes
4. put clothes in dryer
5. put 1 load in washer
...etc...

That way you aren't "blocking" out 2 hours for laundry and getting nothing else done.

The other thing I recently learned is that I'm 200% more effective without kids in tow...my house gets messier if I try to clean with them around and becomes an insurmountable task! Send them to play and I can get stuff done. I'm trying to "teach" them to help/clean up but it takes so much more time it seems...

I don't have any advice on mega shows & would like to know more also. The only suggestion I have is to check out www.flylady.com. I need to get back to using her "system" because my house is in C.H.A.O.S. (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) right now! I want to step up my business but don't get anything done because I can't find anything (list of calls to make, order forms etc etc etc)

Bev

I've never done the mega-show thing. As for getting everything done, do you have a schedule. I'm not talking about a to-do list. I mean an actual schedule that states when you'll do what? If not, that's the first step. It's too easy to find yourself at 7 p.m. with nothing on your to-do list accomplished.If you do have a schedule, are you realistic about how much time it takes to do each task? If you plan for 1/2 hour for putting together host kits (or cleaning the bathroom, or making dinner, or whatever), but it actually takes 45 minutes to complete, you're in trouble.Finally, take a look at what you have listed in each category. Are you setting unrealistic goals for yourself? Only you can say what needs to be in your schedule and what can go. (Taking something off your schedule doesn't mean it isn't good or important. It just means that it's not something you need to worry about right now.)I'll keep you in prayer as you work to get your schedule under control.

Have you heard of the "power hour"? I think it was Belinda Ellsworth. 4 things you choose to do for 15 minutes that are especially important. Do them every day. I'd have to listen to that again to get the details better. She was using the example of spending 15 minutes a day on wedding planning plus 15 minutes on other things (three more times). She was able to plan the wedding, or someone was. Maybe that should be a question for another thread. "What are the details of the Power Hour?" or something like that.
I thought I read something before on CS about Mega Shows. Did you do a search?

What is a mega show?

That's what Kelly is wondering.

Kelly... my friend and I had to do a skit at our last Business Builders Weekend and we called these Cluster Parties... since we are in clusters already... we thought of Clustering our Hosts... she has done 2 of them I believe. They were somewhat successful.. not as good as she had hoped but she has not given up on the idea at all. I know she plans to try more of them. It's better to spend the time for one show on 3 or 4 even if they are each small show totals that add up for the month than none at all. Of course what you really want is 4 - 5 $600 shows to REALLY make you time with it! The whole idea, if we could find an irresistable hook, is SO great... to have 4 or 5 hosts, each whom had collected outside orders and then brings a few friends with... you can do 4 -5 "shows" at once and only do one demo... it's an awesome idea and I've pitched it to a few people who insist their homes are too small... but I have not had one materialize yet. I love the idea and I need to develop a flyer to have in my bookings binder about it. My friend was very limited in the # of times she could be away from the house and so she had really hoped this would work. We discussed it at NC but I'll check with her as see if she has any coming up as well.

ljeffries said:
What is a mega show?

A mega show is actually a bunch of shows that you hold together all at once.

Say I have 5 hosts that want to participate. They each gather outside orders, invite people, and show up to the location that I would provide. (Like a church hall or a community center...) Then, I would do my normal demo just like any other show. I am helping them out since they don't have to worry about having too small of a house, or even doing any housecleaning...and they are helping me by utilizing my time more wisely.

In a perfect world, I would have 5 shows of $600+ each...which would give me $3,000 in sales all in one day. Since I am limited to only doing one "show" per week right now, that would solve a lot of problems for me.

I just need to speak to someone about details.
How can I handle checkout for that many people and still give good customer service?
How can I have one on one time to cultivate a relationship with them and to offer the opportunity so I can build up my team?
Where do you find the place to do this? The only places I have found around here that are reasonable in price I HAVE TO DO ALL SET UP OF TABLES AND CHAIRS AND TAKE DOWN AND CLEAN UP MYSELF. If I don't have to take care of those details, the price is crazy expensive... Like $200+ for 3-4 hours of use of their facilities!
Do I need to have a "helper" to total orders or can I get each of my "hosts" to do it?

Those details/ideas are really what I am looking for.

Has anyone heard of Karen Phelps? I'm pretty sure that she advocates Nutty Buddy parties. Let me see if I can find if I have that information around here anywhere...or maybe someone who is better organized already has this at their fingertips?!?!

Stampaholic1961 said:
Has anyone heard of Karen Phelps? I'm pretty sure that she advocates Nutty Buddy parties. Let me see if I can find if I have that information around here anywhere...or maybe someone who is better organized already has this at their fingertips?!?!
Oh! I can't wait to hear!!:D :D

Laura was telling us about a "Quarter Auction" that Tom Marston (sp?) does... or did...
It took awhile for me to understand and I have the notes somewhere... if you are interested, I'll dig them out...

raebates said:
I've never done the mega-show thing.

As for getting everything done, do you have a schedule. I'm not talking about a to-do list. I mean an actual schedule that states when you'll do what? If not, that's the first step. It's too easy to find yourself at 7 p.m. with nothing on your to-do list accomplished.

If you do have a schedule, are you realistic about how much time it takes to do each task? If you plan for 1/2 hour for putting together host kits (or cleaning the bathroom, or making dinner, or whatever), but it actually takes 45 minutes to complete, you're in trouble.

Finally, take a look at what you have listed in each category. Are you setting unrealistic goals for yourself? Only you can say what needs to be in your schedule and what can go. (Taking something off your schedule doesn't mean it isn't good or important. It just means that it's not something you need to worry about right now.)

I'll keep you in prayer as you work to get your schedule under control.
What great advice. Thanks. I'd like to know more about the mega shows too.

I have CHAOS too.

Kelly,

We haven't been terribly successful with the Mega Host (we call them Multi-Host Shows) but our cluster has done 3 or 4 of them. Mostly, we haven't had lots of people buy into the concept. We are offering 3 shows in September because we have 3 different locations -- north county, south county and a different county.

I tell people that this is a good option if they have a poor parking situation or a very small home -- or they don't want to clean.

If you have any cluster mates close by, do this together. Make one already prepared recipe per host. These are different recipes so the guests are able to try lots of different things. Hosts bring beverages for their table. We provide plates, napkins, cups, ice, etc.

One person does a quick demo. I'd suggest providing a calculator for each table and explaining to your host in advance how to calculate the orders. Be sure people write who their host is on the order form. Have a check out area (a little away from all the action) where you meet one-on-one with people to check the calculations on their orders and ask those all important recruiting and booking questions.

We've also been bringing products (that we don't need/want) for random drawings throughout the evening. This adds extra excitement to this event.

BTW, I second (or is it third, fourth, or fifth) the suggestion of checking out Flylady. She's great!

A nutty buddy party is when you have two hosts, friends, who co-host a party sorta. Except Jane invites HER friends and SUsan invites HER friends. All of Jane's friend's orders get credited to Jane's show...Susan's get credited to Susan's....so one demo, two shows...

Nutty buddy parties are pretty much what it sounds like 2 friends co host. Usually it's because one has a small home or lot's of kids and is overwhelmed by having people over or whatever. They both must still strive to invite 40. and they agree ahead of time how to split the benefits. Coach them both the same as you would any host.

Karen includes it in her booking talk. She is great!!! I saw her live about 2 years ago and learned sooooo much!

http://www.karenphelps.com/

all I can say Carolyn is ... Great minds....

;)

I had 2 neighbors who wanted to host shows.....but both were very busy, didn't have time to clean.....didn't get home from work until 6...etc.....so I suggested that they both invite guests, and we would do the show at my house. I had 18 women in my tiny house - but it was alot of fun. I guess it would have been like the "nutty buddy" idea - They helped total up the orders from their friends and it counted as 2 shows. The only thing that sorta confused the issue is they are both named Julie! We always call them "Julie Next Door" and "Julie Across the Street".....so that is how I referred to them at the show........everyone thought it was funny!

Hey - that show was 2 yrs ago......I need to call and see if they want to do it again! thanks for the idea and reminder!:D :D :D

katie0128 said:
Laura was telling us about a "Quarter Auction" that Tom Marston (sp?) does... or did...
It took awhile for me to understand and I have the notes somewhere... if you are interested, I'll dig them out...

Katie - it is a good idea, but most states require a raffle license for those! Just an FYI.

1. How can I effectively manage my time when working from home?

One way to effectively manage your time while working from home is to create a schedule and stick to it. Set specific times for work tasks, breaks, and personal activities. It can also be helpful to designate a specific workspace and eliminate distractions during work hours.

2. What are some tips for balancing work and personal tasks?

A helpful tip for balancing work and personal tasks is to prioritize your tasks and delegate when possible. Focus on completing the most important tasks first and don't be afraid to ask for help or delegate tasks to others. It's also important to set boundaries and make time for self-care and personal activities.

3. How can I stay motivated and focused while managing my time?

One way to stay motivated and focused is to set specific goals and track your progress. Celebrate small victories and break larger tasks into smaller, more manageable ones. It can also be helpful to take breaks and reward yourself for completing tasks.

4. What tools or resources can I use to improve my time management skills?

There are many tools and resources available to improve time management skills, such as productivity apps, time tracking software, and online courses. It's important to find what works best for you and your specific needs.

5. How can I effectively manage my time when working on multiple projects?

One tip for managing multiple projects is to use a project management system or tool to keep track of tasks, deadlines, and progress. Prioritize tasks and focus on one project at a time to avoid feeling overwhelmed. It can also be helpful to communicate with team members and delegate tasks when necessary.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kathytnt
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
katie0128
  • pamperedchef88
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedchef88
  • Rossana