• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trying Different Cake Mixes for a Recipe

In summary, this recipe calls for a 9 ounce cake mix and is very sweet and thick. It has been made for 8 years with a regular box of cake mix and is always a hit. Adding strawberries and jello makes it even more delicious.
momoftwins
Has anyone ever made this recipe with a different cake mix other than the yellow cake mix that it calls for?????? I was wondering if I could use a french vanilla cake mix??????????

That recipe is really good!!:love:

That sounds really yummy with french vanilla cake mix!
Let me know how it turned out.;)

How do I view the recipe?

I can't see why not... It would only give a slight change in flavor. And if you enjoy french vanilla, like me, it can't be all that bad!!!

lhpcgirl said:
How do I view the recipe?

go to the PC website under recipes and use the recipe search - type in apple crisp and then it will come up with a few different recipes. This one is called Quick Apple Crisp. I copied the recipe here.

Quick Apple Crisp
Ingredients:
5 Granny Smith apples
1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Vanilla ice cream or thawed, frozen whipped topping (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel, core and slice apples using Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer. Cut apples in half using Utility Knife. Place apples in Deep Dish Baker.

2. Combine cake mix, sugar, cinnamon, butter and nuts in Classic Batter Bowl. Mix until crumbly using Classic Scraper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples.

3. Bake 35-40 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping, if desired.

Yield: 10 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 240, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbohydrate 33 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 210 mg, Fiber 2 g

©The Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2003

Just a note of caution!

This recipe calls for a 9 ounce cake mix.....which would be like a Jiffy cake mix - so if you use a regular size cake mix, you will need to double everything else!

Using a lemon cake mix gives it a zing and makes it real yummy!

ChefBeckyD said:
Just a note of caution!

This recipe calls for a 9 ounce cake mix.....which would be like a Jiffy cake mix - so if you use a regular size cake mix, you will need to double everything else!

Certain times of the year, boxed cake mixes are always on sale. So I stock up & trying to find a 9 oz. box ( which is next to impossible) I just use half of the bag....;)

Actually, I have made this recipe at shows for 8 years now. It stays on my list of choices. I have always used the whole box of cake mix mixed with a half a stick of butter. This makes it crumbly. I put it in the deep dish baker and stick it in the microwave for 13 minutes. Everyone raves over this recipe and it is soo easy. I usually get the host to pick up a 6th apple and I seperate the rings in a single layer on a plate and then put strawberry jello (dry from box) into the flour/sugar shaker and shake the jello generously over the apple slices and everyone again raves.. The kids love it as it tastes like a candy apple from the fair.
You can also add the caramel sprinkles over the apples and drizzle with caramel syrup. YUM!!!

ChefBeckyD said:
Just a note of caution!

Becky!! Do you know how many years I've been making this recipe with a regular box of cake mix?:eek: ! No wonder it was sooo sweet and thick! I thought I was crazy! No wonder my kids gobble it up!;)

crissy11 said:
Actually, I have made this recipe at shows for 8 years now. It stays on my list of choices. I have always used the whole box of cake mix mixed with a half a stick of butter. This makes it crumbly. I put it in the deep dish baker and stick it in the microwave for 13 minutes. Everyone raves over this recipe and it is soo easy. I usually get the host to pick up a 6th apple and I seperate the rings in a single layer on a plate and then put strawberry jello (dry from box) into the flour/sugar shaker and shake the jello generously over the apple slices and everyone again raves.. The kids love it as it tastes like a candy apple from the fair.
You can also add the caramel sprinkles over the apples and drizzle with caramel syrup. YUM!!!
You have really made me hungry for candy apples! That is such a cool idea. So, you just make the recipe like the recipe except use a whole cake mix and half stick of butter? I love the crumbly stuff the best when it comes to apple crisp. I am going to a church dinner on Sunday, so I might have to try this recipe then.

Can this be made in the Deep Covered Cranberry Baker???

My host wants something with apples in the Deep Covered Cranberry Baker.

Any other suggestions for the Covered Baker with Apples or a Fall recipe???

~

crissy11 said:

I wonder If you put the apples on the bar pan & then with the sprinkles & when it comes out pour the caramel over the warm apples!!! YIKES!!!!:love:

whiteyteresa said:
Can this be made in the Deep Covered Cranberry Baker???

My host wants something with apples in the Deep Covered Cranberry Baker.

Any other suggestions for the Covered Baker with Apples or a Fall recipe???

~
I don't see why you couldn't make it in the CDB. Just don't put the lid on it.

The Caramel Apple Bread Pudding (last Fall) is for the DCB in the microwave. YUM! The recipe should be on CC with last fall's SBRC.

Great Recipes, Thanks for sharing!

Ann R.

quick apple crisp in microwaveI just tried this recipe this morning following the regular recipe but using 1/2 stick of butter and the whole box of yellow cake mix in deep cranberry baker. It is good but seems to not fill the baker very well. By the time the apples cook down some it seems like too much cake crumble mix for apple ratio. I think I would use 7-8 apples for this in the DCB. I did it in the microwave so the top doesn't really brown. I am doing this for a show tomorrow nite so hope it works with the apple amount. If anyone tries this recipe today or tomorrow during the day please let me know. Do you think it would be better with lid on? The crumbles seemed a little dry on top without lid on.

If I was going to make apple crisp in the microwave, I would do the Mom's Apple Crisp from All The Best......it's written to be made in the micro....and I just like it better anyway!:D

What would be the exchange if you were using the new Cinnamon Sprinkles? (For the Mom's in the ATB)

What are the most popular cake mixes to use in Pampered Chef recipes?

The most commonly used cake mixes for Pampered Chef recipes are Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, and Pillsbury. These brands offer a variety of flavors and are easily accessible at most grocery stores.

Can I use a gluten-free cake mix in a Pampered Chef recipe?

Yes, you can substitute a gluten-free cake mix in any Pampered Chef recipe that calls for a regular cake mix. Just be sure to follow the instructions on the gluten-free mix for the best results.

Should I follow the instructions on the cake mix box or the Pampered Chef recipe?

It is recommended to follow the instructions on the Pampered Chef recipe for the best results. The recipe may call for specific ingredients or alterations to the cake mix instructions to enhance the flavor and texture of the final product.

Can I use a different brand of cake mix in a Pampered Chef recipe?

Yes, you can use a different brand of cake mix in a Pampered Chef recipe. However, keep in mind that the flavor and texture of the final product may vary slightly from the original recipe.

How can I make a boxed cake mix taste homemade?

To make a boxed cake mix taste more homemade, you can add in additional ingredients such as vanilla extract, melted butter, or sour cream. You can also top the cake with homemade frosting or add in mix-ins like chocolate chips or nuts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Shelli
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • cochef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies