1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Truffle Brownie Cup question (ganache isn't right!)

1. Hi everyone! I am a new consultant who is about to have her very first cooking show this week (had 4 catalog shows so far). My host has chosen the Truffle Brownie cups and I made them tonight (to test them).

My problem was with the ganache filling. I followed the recipe exactly and I had to whip the HECK out of the stuff to get it even remotely "stiff" - and that was after leaving it in the freezer/fridge for an hour. Plus, it made way too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps this isn't a good one to make for a show? (We are also doing the mini-cheeseburgers....)

Thanks so much!

Angie

Mar 17, 2009
  2. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

It doesn't get stiff. Ganache is closer to a glaze.

Mar 17, 2009
  3. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

Welcome! I've had and heard of trouble with the ganache, too. If possible stick with one recipe until your comfortable. BUT the ganache tastes great even if a little runny. I've never made the mini cheeseburgers.

Mar 17, 2009
  4. AnnieBee

AnnieBee Veteran Member Gold Member

Mine always gets thick, even at room temperature... I usually use the EAD to pipe it, and if it is too cold it is not possible because it is way too stiff... Is it really runny, or were you just expecting it too be very stiff? You should be able to spoon a dollop on each cup and it will keep its shape. Oh, and I've never whipped it...

I have made this ALOT (not usually at shows though) and never had a problem... It does take a while to long time to cool though... I would leave it longer and see if it is a time issue, otherwise, next time add a little bit more of the chocolate chips...

It does make alot though, I usually make 2/3 of the amount that is in the recipe.

Mar 17, 2009
  5. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

We like that it makes a lot. The Furry Guy loves it on ice cream.

As for the thickness, I suppose it depends on what you consider thick. It will conform to the indent on the brownie cup. I'd say it's comparable to a good syrup. As it sits and dries on the brownies, it thickens a bit further.

Mar 17, 2009
  6. Thanks everyone!! I just emailed my host (who is also my best friend) and asked if we can do a different recipe for the dessert. My ganache was REALLY runny - I think there was too much whipping cream in it (not enough choc chips). I do like the idea of using the EAD too - the only thing I have ever used it for is deviled eggs!

My director made the mini-cheeseburgers and they are SO amazing and easy. Highly recommend the recipe and it's a fun one for a show.

Mar 17, 2009
  7. JaimeAnnR

JaimeAnnR Member

make the brownies beforehand. they are really good, but not a good demo recipe because the ganache needs some time to set up. I've made it with peanut butter chips and white chocolate chips too and they are delicious! they are sssuuuppeeerrr rich with chocolate. :) good luck!

Mar 17, 2009
  8. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

If you want the ganache thicker (and requiring less time to set up), use less cream.

Mar 18, 2009
  9. cactus_flower

cactus_flower Member

Each time I have made this recipe, I had to let the ganache in the freezer for twice as long as the recipe states. It was a real hit, though!

Mar 22, 2009
  10. mpkegley

mpkegley Advanced Member

When I made these, I had the same problem with the ganache not setting up.

Mar 23, 2009
  11. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

Less cream is a good idea. It might also depend on the brand of chocolate chips.

Mar 23, 2009
Have something to add?