• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trouble with Stoneware Brownies? Advice Needed!

In summary, the consultant mentioned that with her aluminum bakeware, when she made brownies, she'd have to cut off the burnt edges before serving them to company. With our stoneware, brownies baked evenly, so you could serve all the brownies to your guests.
dianevill
Gold Member
There was a Kitchen Show Live video, I'm sure it's been a few years now, that had the consultant talking about company brownies. She was saying that on her aluminum bakeware, when she made brownies, she'd have to cut off the burnt edges before serving them to company. With our stoneware, brownies baked evenly, so you could serve all the brownies to your guests. Have you heard of this?

Well, here's my thing. I get crappy brownies with my stoneware. This has been happening since I started using stoneware (6 years:eek: ), but am finally writing now because I literally just got done cutting off the edges of the truffle brownies (from the S.I. cookbook), and the middles are barely done. I am so frustrated! This happened yesterday with a boxed mix, too. I follow the directions exactly and bake for the minimum amount of time or less. Yesterday's pan was the rectangular baker, today was the medium bar pan. The oven temperature is accurate (thermometer). I've been playing around trying to figure it out. I tried lowering the temperature, lowering and raising the oven rack, different pans, different mixes and different recipes.

What is going on? I don't feel like I can honestly promote the stoneware for "even baking". Anyone else having any issues like this? I'd appreciate any advice!

I baked brownies in my stoneware for the first time the other night, and i wasn't too crazy about them. I don't know though if it was the stoneware or just the brownies in general, because I haven't made them in any other kind of pan yet to compare. It would be interesting to hear other's opinions though...

What you have to realize is that our stones retain heat and the brownies will continue to cook once you take them out of the oven. Try taking them out 5 minutes earlier than is noted and see what happens.

Diane, every oven is different. Since the edges of your brownies are getting done first, try baking the next batch at 5 degrees lower than the recipe (or box) calls for. Hope that helps.

I have not had a problem...with the cake like brownies in the stoneware however the regular brownies I made the other day form my trifle were a little gummy but I have only made cake like brownies before and thought that was how regulare brownies were meant to be!! LOL SHows you what I know!!

I like nice and fudgey brownies. Since I've been using Stoneware they don't come out right anymore. I agree with you...something is up! I just gave up brownies (cause I don't need them no way)!

Are you putting them in the lowest position in the oven?

I've tried second lowest, middle, and second from the top...

I have always lowered the oven temp about 25F, and baked for about the same time. You can also try preheating your stone before pouring the batter in. My brownies, from cake to fudge, scratch or home made, have always come out fine doing this.

Robin

raebates said:
Diane, every oven is different. Since the edges of your brownies are getting done first, try baking the next batch at 5 degrees lower than the recipe (or box) calls for. Hope that helps.

I agree. It could be your oven. Every once in awhile I have guests that have problems with their stones. Some say their biscuits are raw on the bottom and brown on top or it takes forever to cook food on a stone. Usually their oven isn't calabrated correctly. I tell them to buy a cheap oven thermometer that will tell them exactly what temp the oven is compared to what temp they have set. The other thing I find is that they are cooking too close to the heating element.

I hope this helps because I make the most incredible brownies in my Rectangular baker. I bake them at 350 degrees for 28 minutes. Check it out and when you get it down try these Chocolate Ganache Brownies. I have been making them all month. I heard the recipe on the CD "Want A Cooking Show With WOW! Karen Logsdon and Farielle Yan (spelling?) are awesome. Farielle gets complete credit for this.

I bring a prebaked brownie to the show that the host replaces with a box of brownie mix.

She provides an 8 oz container of Cool Whip (not fat free) and 1 cup of semi-sweet Chocolate chips.

Dump both in the Classic Batter Bowl. Cook for 2-3 minutes on high in the microwave. Stir.
You can serve this immediately as hot fudge. Or use it as a chocalate fondue.
Wait 20-30 minutes and it pours perfectly onto brownies and creates a smooth shiny surface.
Cool completely and it is like icing that is perfect for cakes and more.

You cannot mess this up.

To make a true Chocolate Ganache you heat 1 cup of heavy whipping cream to 212 degrees (or just beginning to boil). Add 12 ounces of chopped semi-sweet chocolate. Stir. You'll get similar results as it cools. She said the better the chocolate the better the results. I haven't tried the true version because I am afraid my thighs would triple in size!

I have had Noproblems with the stoneware. I LOVE brownies, I do them from scratch, which is really really simple and I vary them each time. I use the large bar pan.

I can only think of two things maybe? Are you preheating your oven prior to putting them in? (Sounds silly but it's like computer trouble shooting? And you go through it all and find out it's unplugged?:D ). You are from Wisconsin? I know when I was out in Denver, I had to add to the box mixes some flour because they are at a higher sea level, not sure about WI, I've never been there....but that is a nother thought.

How old is your oven? I know my last oven STUNK and would cook the middle of stuff before the outside, how weird and I went out and bought a nice one....and it made a HUGE difference in how my cooking comes out....LOL...oh yeah, that and PAMPERED CHEF products....:D

I hope that helps some.....I just made a batch last night, so now, after brownie talk I gotta go have some....LOL....:p

Thanks for the "cool" brownie recipe, Elaine! Got to try that soon as I bake brownies a lot here.

I usually bake my brownies in the medium bar pan for one batch or use the large bar pan for a double batch. I bake mine in the second rack from the bottom (electric stove by the way). I bake them "cake like" and they come out great. They are like an in between cake and fudgy).

Just yesterday I made mini brownies in the mini muffin pan just for a change of pace.

I do have a few questions on the recipe, Elaine.

1) Is it one box of brownie mix or two (seeing that you are using the rectangular baker)?

2) Does it matter if you make it cake like or fudgie? I assume it doesn't matter, personal preference right?

Thanks.

I made brownies in my rect. baker for the first time a couple of months ago. My husband's reply..."what did you do to these? they are the best ever!" All i did was put them in stoneware instead of the glass pan i always used to use.
I always use the Chocolate Chunk mix. I like the chunks...what can i say??:D :D

Everything tastes better on our stoneware!!!!!

pamperedharriet said:
Everything tastes better on our stoneware!!!!!

I soooo want to be able to say that. To answer some of the questions, I didn't make the cake-like brownies - sounds like maybe I should! We're not high altitude, so I shouldn't have to adjust the flour for recipes. My oven is about a year and a half old (have to thank my DH for that one - he broke the glass top on my last one) and I have an oven thermometer. I do preheat. Hmmm, let's see, what other questions were there? I've tried lowering the temperature by 25 degrees but haven't tried 5.

But here's one thing I noticed. Someone mentioned they bake their brownies for 28 minutes. The box I have says 40-45, and the recipe I use from a Betty Crocker cookbook says 50-55. I THINK I may have just found a possible problem (although that doesn't answer why they're still raw-ish in the middle, but that could be because I'm not cooking them on the second rack from the bottom?).

So here's what I'll try tomorrow (I don't know why I'm making all these brownies now. I just needed them for a trifle I made yesterday but now I'm on a quest to figure out why my brownies suck): I'm going to use the Pillsbury brand (it's what I used today) for cake-like brownies in the rectangular baker (one of my thoughts with the medium bar pan is that maybe the sides aren't high enough? The batter comes right to the top, whereas there are still stoneware sides on the rect. baker. No idea if that's a cause to my issues). I'll bake for 28 minutes on the second lowest rack. I'll still bake at 350, though, as I know the temp is correct because of the thermometer. I'll report back!

And oh, the ganache recipe? Who needs brownies for that? Don't you just eat that right out of the bowl?:D (maybe that's one of the reasons I had to join Weight Watchers!:rolleyes: )

Thank you all for your help. I WILL make the perfect brownie!

You know...Like I said in above, I usually make the cake like brownies, HOWEVER I usually double the the recipe for cake-like brownies AND bake them in the Large Bar Pan. When I make them for my trifle recipe I wasn't sure to make cake like or regular and so I made regular in the rectangular baker (which I have NEVER done before!!) Since they came out gooey and not to my liking I think I will stick to the large bar pan version from now on!! HTH

Diane, i hope you can figure it out. It really does make a difference if you have "buy-in" to what you're trying to sell.I have always made brownies from scratch, and they were great before, but they are are SO much better in the Square Baker! Good luck in your quest.Oh, and if you can find the Ghirardelli (sp?) Brownie Mix, GET IT. I'm a total brownie snob, but these pass my test.

Maybe it's the piece of stoneware you are using? I made box mix in the square baker, as that's what I always used in the glass variety.

pamperedharriet said:
I do have a few questions on the recipe, Elaine.

1) Is it one box of brownie mix or two (seeing that you are using the rectangular baker)?

2) Does it matter if you make it cake like or fudgie? I assume it doesn't matter, personal preference right?

Thanks.
Thanks Harriet,
1) one family sized box of brownies (18-21 ounces?)
2) Nope, it doesn't matter. I personally like the fudgie but some mixes don't give you the choice. I always have added two eggs until today.

Kim, between your thread on the pudding brownies and this one, I am seriously craving some good brownies! I have tried the Ghirardelli (sp) and they are soooo good. They had the boxes clearanced at Wally World and I should have bought a bunch!

I've posted this recipe before but there is one recipe that I can get to turn out, without the crunchies. It sounds really gross but it's good and very WW friendly (1 point per 1" brownie). All you do is take a family sized box of brownie mix and a can of black beans. Puree the beans and mix it with the dry mix. Don't add anything else! Bake for 20-25 minutes. Make them and don't tell anyone what you put in. They'll never know!! Just don't eat too many - there's a lot of fiber going on!

dianevill said:
Kim, between your thread on the pudding brownies and this one, I am seriously craving some good brownies! I have tried the Ghirardelli (sp) and they are soooo good. They had the boxes clearanced at Wally World and I should have bought a bunch!

I've posted this recipe before but there is one recipe that I can get to turn out, without the crunchies. It sounds really gross but it's good and very WW friendly (1 point per 1" brownie). All you do is take a family sized box of brownie mix and a can of black beans. Puree the beans and mix it with the dry mix. Don't add anything else! Bake for 20-25 minutes. Make them and don't tell anyone what you put in. They'll never know!! Just don't eat too many - there's a lot of fiber going on!

YUCK!! I will NEVER eat brownies at your house! How dare you! That's sacreligous!! Beans in Brownies...I never!:eek:

Chef Kearns said:
YUCK!! I will NEVER eat brownies at your house! How dare you! That's sacreligous!! Beans in Brownies...I never!:eek:

LMAO - you're right, it is sacriligious, but believe me, you have to try them. You really can't taste the beans - at all!!

I'm gonna send you a package. Watch for the Fed Ex truck!

Diane,
Did I understand that you don't add anything but the beans?

Yes, that's all you add. You don't drain the beans (standard sized can), just puree them and mix with the brownie mix. It's really thick, but don't add water.

All I can say Diane is...."interesting...very interesting". The things you can learn on here.

C'mon, I know you want to try 'em:D !

I have to add, "Someone, please try it and report back. I don't want everyone to think I'm nuts!!!"

You know, some times I wonder why and how we figured out things that humans eat - snails for one....anyhoo, who figured out the beans?!?

I'm not sure. Someone at a Weight Watchers meeting passed it along, so I'm guessing it's some overweight woman who was digging through her cupboard trying to satisfy a desperate PMS craving for chocolate?

Hmmmm....that sounds like me!:rolleyes:

But I can't take credit or blame for this one!

Hehehe...okay, Diane, I have to say something totally off the topic of this thread. Every time I see your ID, "dianevill", I read it "diane evill" hehehhe...

LOL - My last name is Villanueva. My husband created the account and user name for me...I don't know why he came up with this one. He could have been a little more creative! I always think of Cruella DeVille (sp) myself. Sometimes I think I am her!

Beans in brownies??? Very interesting....someone else try it so we know Diane's not crazy! LOL:)
Have you had anymore luck? My problem with brownies is they end up so soft that they're hard to cut without them falling apart. Guess I need to bake a little longer.

cmdtrgd said:
Hehehe...okay, Diane, I have to say something totally off the topic of this thread. Every time I see your ID, "dianevill", I read it "diane evill" hehehhe...

BWAAAAHAAAA!!!! Diane, I think the same thing! And I say it like Dr. Eee-Villll in my head!

I forget where I found this out but if you what to make brownies cake like add a additional egg, so instead of 2 large eggs I use 3 large eggs to make my brownies.

As far as timing goes it depends on what size pan you are using.

As far as brand goes, I usually use Duncan Hines if I don't bake from scratch.

1. Why are my brownies not baking evenly on stoneware?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure your oven temperature is accurate using an oven thermometer. Also, try adjusting the oven rack position or lowering the temperature slightly. It's also important to follow the recommended baking time for your specific stoneware pan and recipe. If the issue persists, it could be an issue with your stoneware pan and you may want to reach out to our customer service for assistance.

2. How can I ensure my brownies bake evenly on stoneware?

To ensure even baking, make sure your oven temperature is accurate, follow the recommended baking time for your specific stoneware pan and recipe, and avoid overcrowding the pan. You can also try adjusting the oven rack position or lowering the temperature slightly. If you continue to have trouble, please reach out to our customer service for assistance.

3. Can I use stoneware to bake brownies from a boxed mix?

Yes, you can use stoneware to bake brownies from a boxed mix. Just make sure to follow the recommended baking time for your specific stoneware pan and recipe, and adjust the oven temperature if needed.

4. How can I promote stoneware for even baking if I'm having trouble with my brownies?

If you are experiencing issues with your brownies not baking evenly on stoneware, please reach out to our customer service for assistance. They can provide tips and suggestions to help ensure your stoneware bakes evenly. You can also try different recipes and adjust the oven temperature or rack position to see if that improves the results.

5. Has anyone else had trouble with stoneware brownies not baking evenly?

We have not received many complaints about stoneware brownies not baking evenly, but if you are experiencing this issue, please reach out to our customer service for assistance. They can provide tips and suggestions to help ensure your stoneware bakes evenly. You can also try different recipes and adjust the oven temperature or rack position to see if that improves the results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
dianevill
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • Jennie50
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jennie50