• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trouble with Cheese Grater: Any Tips for Clumping Cheese?

In summary, you are having your first cooking show this weekend and are making the Jerk Chicken Nachos. You used the cheese grater yesterday and it was a yuck experience. You may want to try heating it slightly first or using the spraying the drum trick. You also suggest that they buy the grater to grate their egg yolks, flavored croutons, and hershey bars.
dymplz8
I am having my first cooking show this weekend (possibly) and I am making the Jerk Chicken Nachos. I wanted to use the cheese grater to grate the cheese onto the nachos but when I was practicing yesterday the cheese kept clumping up in the grater. :yuck: Does anyone have any suggestions about how to keep it from doing that. I heated the cheese up slighly before I shredded it, but I'm wondering now if maybe I need to freeze it instead. Any help would be appreciated.

I would rather use it slightly warmed like you did. Warm it only till the oils start to release on the surface of the cheese.

Then, as you are turning, tap out the cheese every so often. This helps so it doesn't all stay in the barrel and clump. Clear as mud?

Heating it is definately better than freezing. Try spraying the grating drum with a little oil with the spritzer; that helps it not stick:thumbup:

If you still don't like how it's working, you can use the ultimate mandolin and the box grater blade!

I have been using the UM to grate cheese. I only like the DCG for parmesean cheese - I do not like if for hard cheeses.

I personally wish we would come out with and old fashion big box grater like my mom has had for years! HA!

But since I have been using the UM. I have sold one at my last 2 or 3 shows. And have others interested in it. And I am getting good at using it, haha!:D

jrstephens said:
I have been using the UM to grate cheese. I only like the DCG for parmesean cheese - I do not like if for hard cheeses.

I personally wish we would come out with and old fashion big box grater like my mom has had for years! HA!

But since I have been using the UM. I have sold one at my last 2 or 3 shows. And have others interested in it. And I am getting good at using it, haha!:D

I agree, my last 4 or 5 shows, I have sold at least 1 or 2...;) Also you can grate most of it at home & just bring a small piece to show in your demo. Also use the spraying the drum trick! ;)

I never heat mine or put it in the freezer, just right out of the fridge and usually don't have a problem w/the grater and I have used it for years. You do however have to sometimes tap some of the cheese out to keep it from clumping though.

I made the chicken jerk nachos for 3 of my 1st shows. They were a total hit.

The way I used my cheese on the UM and I kept it in the freezer just for about 2 or 3 min. It seemed so much easier, and I feel it worked better then from the fridge.

Good Luck !!! You will have a hit show and will have taught many how to make a super easy dinner (I make this for my family and they love it. I add beans and rice for the side )

or a yummy snack..

Remember with the DCG, the softer the cheese, the softer the squeeze. Make sure that you aren't squeezing the heck out of it (that's what I used to do!) and that may help as well.

Warming it does wonders BUT it has to still be warm when you put it in the grater. If you warm the whole block and parts never got warm, it doesn't work. If you break it into smaller pieces and warm it all at once, the ones you do last will not be warm by the time you get to them. I usually break a couple chunks off, warm those up, grate and repeat. Works like a charm!

When using it at your demo, also suggest they buy it to grate their egg yolks for deviled eggs
grate flavored croutons for homemade bread crumbs
hershey bars for chocolate garnishes

DcgI USUALLY DON'T have a problem with the DCG, but occasionally I find that certain brands of cheese give me trouble - maybe the M/F % is higher or something???

I have always been told to put it in the microwave for 7 seconds - just until it is 'sweating' to bring the natural oils to the surface...but I have never had to do this.

I have heard putting the cheese in the freezer, but it was suggested to leave it in there for a longer time (10-15 minutes).

Teresa Lynn said:
When using it at your demo, also suggest they buy it to grate their egg yolks for deviled eggs
grate flavored croutons for homemade bread crumbs
hershey bars for chocolate garnishes
What a great idea! I've not heard that before, but will definitely tell people about that and give it a try myself. I love to make (and eat :p) deviled eggs, but hate the clumps.

Thanks!!!

stefani2 said:
I have heard putting the cheese in the freezer, but it was suggested to leave it in there for a longer time (10-15 minutes).

When I first started PC, the trend was to freeze the cheese. But, you had to squeeze the grater so much; it was too much pressure on it & mine eventually broke. Micro-ing it is so much better IMHO.

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I went and puchased a couple of blocks of the cheese I will be using this weekend so that I can practice using both the DCG and the UM and figure out which one to use at the show. I am already using the UM to slice up the limes and Red peppers, so I'm hoping I can master the DCG so that I can show that product too.

wadesgirl said:
Warming it does wonders BUT it has to still be warm when you put it in the grater.

So that was the problem the last time I used mine!! I warmed it up during setup and then did intros, etc. when I went to grate the cheese it was just a huge gloppy mess in the drum. I guess it had cooled back off enough to cause problems. Not great for a demo! Thanks for the tip!

hperschnick said:
So that was the problem the last time I used mine!! I warmed it up during setup and then did intros, etc. when I went to grate the cheese it was just a huge gloppy mess in the drum. I guess it had cooled back off enough to cause problems. Not great for a demo! Thanks for the tip!

Have the guest who is doing the grating warm it up for you. Or if you aren't doing an interactive show, ask the host to pop it in the microwave real quick. Then while she's doing that explain to the guests why.

I have to say that I'm now in love with my DCG! I am making the Jerk Chicken Nachos for dinner, again, and I bought an 8 oz. block of cheddar and Monterey jack cheese blend. I cut it into four sections. CONFESSION: I put the first section into the microwave for 30 seconds and of course, it started melting at 12ish seconds!:) Duh! Okay, so the next section I only put in for 9 seconds. Then I grated it in the DCG, very gently and barely pushing on the handle. It grated beautifully! I was so excited. I did the other two sections the same way. Only a very thin, small square of cheese was left stuck to the plastic part. I can't wait to show this off at a show. This is quite a soft cheese, softer than just regular cheddar.

I just had to share!

I also use it to grate peeled garlic when I'm sauteeing shrimp

LOL! I call it the "Crank and Spank" because you crank the handle and spank the side to get the cheese out. I will have to warm mine from now on.

I was sooo excited about using it. I can see why the handle breaks so often because I put a lot of pressure on mine most of the time. Totally unnecessary. I've never broken this one, but I'm careful of where I put the pressure. Now, I think I don't need to use so much pressure.

"Crank and Spank"! I love it! Too funny.

1. Why is my cheese grater not grating properly?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure the cheese is at room temperature and not too soft or too hard. Also, check that the grater is clean and free of any residue. If the grater blades are dull, it may be time to replace it.

2. How do I clean my cheese grater?

The best way to clean your cheese grater is to rinse it with warm water immediately after use. For tougher residue, use a small brush or toothpick to remove it. Avoid using harsh chemicals or putting it in the dishwasher, as this can damage the grater.

3. Can I use my cheese grater for other foods besides cheese?

Yes, many of our cheese graters can also be used for grating vegetables, chocolate, or nuts. Just make sure to thoroughly clean it between uses to avoid cross-contamination of flavors.

4. How do I prevent my cheese from sticking to the grater?

To prevent cheese from sticking, try putting it in the freezer for a few minutes before grating. You can also lightly coat the grater with cooking spray or rub a small amount of oil on the grater before use.

5. What should I do if my cheese grater breaks?

If your cheese grater breaks, please contact our customer service for assistance. Depending on the warranty and the condition of the grater, we may be able to offer a replacement or refund.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jjaastef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Windy City Pampered Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefmary
  • its_me_susan