• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Um: Grating Soft Cheeses Question

:)The DCG again, but nuke the cheese for 7 seconds before grating. The oils will come out and coat the drum. As for the balling, I think it is because it is a softer cheese. Try freezing the cheese for about 15 minutes before shredding.Ann & Kate,Thanks for the tips! I'll try freezing the cheese for 15 minutes and see if that solves the problem.
kam
Staff member
In the past I have tried (and hated) the deluxe cheese grater for grating cheddar cheese.

Being a new consultant I was getting a little nervous on demo-ing recipes with mozz or cheddar cheeses - just on the fact that I would have to grate the cheese with the Deluxe Cheese Grater.

Then I got my kit and I saw that the UM could be used to grate the soft cheeses! Well, I LOVE using it for that! It works wonderfully - with the exception of one tiny thing.

Does anyone else have a problem with the end of the cheese "balling" up and not grating, or slipping out from under the holder? It seems that I am not using all the cheese.

If a recipe calls for 8oz and I cut the block up into small pieces to use on the UM, then after EACH piece, I have leftover that I am not using. At home, I have no problem using a knife to chop the remainder into smaller pieces, but I don't want to do this in front of anyone.

Any ideas for demos? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Kathleen

I am afraid of the UM! I dont want to use it, but this week I will be using it. I am testing it out this week!

Sorry no helpful hints from me.

When I grate cheese with the UM, I don't use the food holder. It's not necessary, because the grating blade doesn't have the same safety feature as the other blades. And it's just like using my box grater - you just have to be careful that you don't get your skin or nails in the way at the very end. :)

Try the DCG again, but nuke the cheese for 7 seconds before grating. The oils will come out and coat the drum. As for the balling, I think it is because it is a softer cheese. Try freezing the cheese for about 15 minutes before shredding.

Ann & Kate,

Thanks for the tips!

I will have to cook something tonight that requires grated cheese! :)

-Kathleen

PS: don't be afraid of the UM.

I have another brand Mandoline (purchased years ago) and I have used it maybe once. HATED IT.

BUT, the Pampered Chef UM is so easy to use - I have used it 4x this week so far. I like that the blade closes after each slice. I also like that the blade "stores" closed.

chefann said:
When I grate cheese with the UM, I don't use the food holder. It's not necessary, because the grating blade doesn't have the same safety feature as the other blades. And it's just like using my box grater - you just have to be careful that you don't get your skin or nails in the way at the very end. :)

Thanks for saving my fingers. . .that's what I was going to say.

1. How do I prevent soft cheeses from sticking to the grater?

One way to prevent soft cheeses from sticking to the grater is to freeze them for about 10-15 minutes before grating. This will make the cheese firmer and easier to grate without getting stuck.

2. Can I use a regular grater for soft cheeses?

While you can technically use a regular grater for soft cheeses, it may not produce the best results. Soft cheeses tend to stick to the grater and can be difficult to shred evenly. It is recommended to use a specialized grater, such as a microplane or rotary grater, for soft cheeses.

3. Do I need to remove the rind before grating soft cheeses?

It is not necessary to remove the rind before grating soft cheeses, but it is a matter of personal preference. The rind may add a different texture and flavor to the grated cheese, so you can choose to leave it on or remove it before grating.

4. How do I clean a grater after grating soft cheeses?

To clean a grater after grating soft cheeses, first rinse it with warm water to remove any large chunks of cheese. Then, use a small brush or toothpick to remove any remaining cheese stuck in the grater. You can also soak the grater in warm soapy water for a few minutes before rinsing and drying it thoroughly.

5. Can I grate other types of cheese on a grater designed for soft cheeses?

While a grater designed for soft cheeses may work well for other types of cheeses, it may not produce the same results as a grater specifically designed for those cheeses. It is best to use the appropriate grater for each type of cheese for the best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mspibb
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • Jillmami
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • emiscookin