• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cheese Grater--My Director Says to Microwave

In summary, Lee Anne recommends microwaving the cheese for 1 minute before grating it. She also recommends freezing the cheese if it is going to be harder to grate. Anyone else ever heard of this tip? Do this? Hate that tool?
jessica_momof6
Silver Member
the cheese to get it to work good in the grater. she said that she learned that tip from someone higher up in the company.

my inclination is to freeze it to make it harder, but she says "nope! microwave that cheese (like cheddar, colby etc that is soft) for about 1 minute-then put it in the grater"

anyone else ever heard that? do that?

I hate that tool! really!

When you microwave the cheese, it brings the oils to the surface and makes it just glide through the grater so easy. BUT I never microwave a piece for more than 5 seconds. If that is not quite enough, then I will do a couple more seconds. It doesn't take long at all.

jessica_momof6 said:
the cheese to get it to work good in the grater. she said that she learned that tip from someone higher up in the company.

my inclination is to freeze it to make it harder, but she says "nope! microwave that cheese (like cheddar, colby etc that is soft) for about 1 minute-then put it in the grater"

anyone else ever heard that? do that?

I swore my Cheese Grater was demon possessed! :eek: I hated it too until I tried the nuking for 5 secs. It really does work! I'm still not in love with it for yellow cheeses but don't hate the thing anymore!

Lee Anne

Oh my gosh!! Please don't microwave it for more than 5-8 seconds!!!:eek: :cool: When the recipe calls for 4 ozs, I cut it into 3 or 4 little chunks and put one chunk in at a time in the prep bowl and then micro it. It works like a charm!! :D

When I first started, the thing was to freeze the cheese. But it always seemed like I had to squeeze the handle really hard. Ever since I heard about miro-ing it (I do for 9 secs) it grates with ease....
sorry just realized how much this was rhyming, had to add another one:rolleyes: I know, I'm a dork:)
Really though, it's a great tip to share with guests!

jessica_momof6 said:

Yes this is my least favorite tool that PC sells. I don't ever use it at my shows if I have to grate cheese I take the Ultimate Slice and grate.

I do bring the Deluxe Cheese grater and "cross sell it". But I have a hard time talking about a product I wouldn't buy.

The handle is to hard for me to hold on to, I have very poor hands. Also the cheese just collects in the drum for me. I have tried not squeezing as hard, microwaving and freezing the cheese ahead of time. I think it is because it is sooo hard for me to hang onto.

I also want to join the cheese grater hater club!! I sold mine at my garage sale. From my very first show I told my customers that I would never sell then a product I wouldn't buy. No one has ever bought one because I say that they really need to be redesigned and the USG is so much easier and versatile. I sell 4-5 USG'S at every show!!

ok-whew! (she probably only told me 10 seconds and I magnified it to a minute! LOL)

I am glad that others know this. when I tell it at parties, everyone looks at me like I am insane! but now I know the reasoning behind it to tell them.

thanks!!!

I've always heard "The softer the cheese, the softer the squeeze" for the Cheese Grater.

I happen to like the Cheese Grater, but I feel my old (non-PC:rolleyes: ) box grater is better for larger amounts of cheese.

I've never tried the US&G for cheese. Do you micro the cheese first for it as well?

I never microwave cheese for the USG (or at all!) I love that you can hold it comfortably for you (at whatever angle) or it grips to almost any bowl in your kitchen! Like my sales pitch? I sell so many because everyone can tell that I LOVE them. I have started telling people that if they buy one and don't like it I will buy it back minus shipping. I haven't had a return yet!!

I've had good luck with my grater.

I always used my cheese grater at all of my shows until I got the US & G.

I HATE the cheese grater!!! They say to use a dishwasher to clean out those holes. My cheese grater gets pretty bad after it sets in my take home box. I don't have a electric dishwasher - just my husband and he even hates it. I take it to my shows but I don't talk about it. I brag about the US &G. I LOVE that product.

Well, I LOVE the USG! But I've never heard anything bad about the grater.

I really like my cheese grater. I had one for 10 years before I got my kit. I DO NOT use colby cheese in the grater - microwaved, frozen or otherwise. However, I do microwave cheddar, and LOVE it for Parmesian cheese. One of my daughters is a lefty, so it's her favorite tool.

I cant believe my eyes! I love my cheese grater! When I first got mine I was always making dishes that required fresh parm cheese. It is a little bit of a pain to clean, but I use a baby bottle brush for the drum. I rarely use it for softer cheese.

Ok here is the other cheese grater tip that I share at all of my shows. You may already know it, but you will swear a lot less if you wash your cheese grater in cold water first. That way the cheese that is in there won't melt to the blade, it will just rince out. Then use hot water to clean it.

I also have to say I don't care for the cheese grater.
I had one already and just re-signed last week and was bummed to see I got another!:(
I wish it came with the USG, but I will just have to earn it!! :D

Kelly

Wow - I LOVE LOVE LOVE my cheese grater and sell them by the truckload!!

Hey Carolyn~Is it storming really bad right now?? It is here so badly with tons of thunder and lightning! I'm going to be so sad if my power goes out! I'll have nothing to do!!:eek: :(

I use the deluxe grater for parm cheese only and love it There's just something about having fresh cheese grated over your plate like they do at certain restaurants. I prefer the US&G for cheddar and other softer cheeses. I've always had the problem of it gooing up inside the drum if I use the larger blade and softer cheese. I think it's great for parm cheese and chocolate.

Jeanie

I just did a show saturday night, and 3 ladies asked me about returning them because they hate them.

I tried giving them the microwave tip--hopefully it will work.

me? I prefer my kitchen aid food processor for cheese! LOL

As far as cleaning goes, rinse it off under cold water, then wash it under hot water. Rinsing under hot water will heat up the metal and melt the cheese onto it and make it very difficult to clean.

Ah, the Deluxe Cheese Grater.....don't hate but I certainly don't love it! I too use the "softer the cheese, lighter the squeeze" approach. I have found that when cleaning it...always use cold water first and the Cake Tester is great for prying anything else that does not come out! Then I wash it with hot water or throw it in the dishwasher.
Oh, my DCG has sat unused for hard cheeses since I got the Microplane Adjustable Grater!

Have a Pampered Day!

Alright, MAYBE I'll give it one more try....

erinyourpclady said:
Ah, the Deluxe Cheese Grater.....don't hate but I certainly don't love it! I too use the "softer the cheese, lighter the squeeze" approach. I have found that when cleaning it...always use cold water first and the Cake Tester is great for prying anything else that does not come out! Then I wash it with hot water or throw it in the dishwasher.
Oh, my DCG has sat unused for hard cheeses since I got the Microplane Adjustable Grater!

Have a Pampered Day!

SAME HERE!!! LOVE my micro plane!!! BTW..I also use my citrus peeler to get in the nooks & crannies!:D

I just stick it in the dishwasher. Never had a prob.

Do you use your microplane for any cheese? We use cheddar a lot, but I use my usg. I would like a microplane, but I don't know what I would use it for!

1. How long do I need to microwave the cheese grater for?

The recommended time for microwaving the cheese grater is 30 seconds on high. However, it is important to monitor the grater closely and stop microwaving if you notice any melting or warping of the plastic.

2. Can I microwave any type of cheese grater?

No, it is important to only microwave cheese graters that are specifically labeled as microwave-safe. Using a non-microwave safe grater can cause it to melt or release harmful chemicals into your food.

3. Why do I need to microwave the cheese grater?

Microwaving the cheese grater can help soften any stubborn cheese residue that may be stuck on the grater. This makes cleaning much easier and more effective.

4. Is it safe to touch the cheese grater after microwaving?

It is not recommended to touch the cheese grater immediately after microwaving as it may be hot. Allow it to cool for a few minutes before handling it.

5. Can I still use the cheese grater for grating cheese after microwaving?

Yes, you can still use the cheese grater for its intended purpose after microwaving. Just be sure to wash it thoroughly before and after use to prevent any potential contamination.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• its_me_susan
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenniferlynne
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
smilesarepriceless
Replies