• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Is the Toronto Travel Survey's Incentive Program Losing Its Appeal?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the difficulty of earning travel incentives for consultants in the company. Some feel that the bar is set too high and newer consultants are not motivated to strive for them. Others shared their destinations of choice, ranging from conventional options to more unique ones. Some expressed their frustration with the recruiting requirement while others shared their success stories in earning trips. Overall, the topic sparked a discussion on the changing dynamics of the company and the different perspectives on earning travel incentives.
baychef
Silver Member
First...how was Toronto???? I want to hear!!!!

I just filled out the travel survey and finally was not lead around by their questions. My feelings are that the bar is set so high that newer consultants are not excited about the travel incentiveS and do not even try for them.

And when asked my 3 destinations, I left them blank. And yes, I sound like Nelly on Little House on the Praire pouting...the travel incentives were something I really loved and could stretch myself to achieve. I could at least earn the silver level and loved those trips. Now I can only get to the first level and it hardly seems worth it to me.

There...I feel better now that I have shared my negativity!!;)

I just went & completed mine. I put Beijing, China; Tokyo, Japan and Dubai! LOL

Oh...I should have put Abbottabad, Pakistan; Islamabad, Pakistan; Yemen; Libya or Syria. Hey...the weather is warm (unless it is winter there!)

Dubai - I've seen so much on this little piece of unknown territory that I think that would be cool! Its beautiful over there! Way to go at thinking outside of the box!

I'll be the 2nd negative nelly - I don't work for them b/c I feel with the recruiting side being my greatest weakness its too far out of reach. I only have one girl on my team that ever does more than 1 show per month so I don't push it with them either. I haven't vacationed since 2001 so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything other than the stress and worries of if I am on track or not. If the stars align and I earned a cruise I would take a gift card and either put it towards home projects or use it towards the new Disney Cruise that looks like a blast! :)

This thread has been sticking in my mind and I just wanted to chime in my opinion on this... please don't send me hate responses... it's just a different opinion/perspective.

I earned Toronto and it was my first trip... it was great but that's not what I wanted to talk about.

There is mention about the bar being set too high and the recruiting requirement being too high (and if there should be one at all). I'm not going to argue those points whatsoever because they are there and it is what it is. And I didn't 'work for' the trip. My goal was basically just to develop some consistency in my biz which ended up to be a show each week. I'm working on getting to 2 shows each week every week. (Not quite there yet though!)

My view on this, just looking at my personal biz, is that I don't feel like I really worked that hard last year to earn the trip.

I did 52 shows... about 1 each week. I personally don't think doing 1 show per week is excessive or too much to ask from HO to be at a level to earn the trip.

My show average for 2010 was $665.33. A little higher than the national average and that factors in HO lead sales (just doing the math on the performance tracker). So I'm not having $1k shows all the time by any means.

I was paid as a D 6 mos... so an extra 1500 points there. I earned the trip by Thanksgiving and actually had a little over 1500 points over the requirement by 12/31.

I qualified 7 consultants... 3 were Home Office Leads who signed after they did their shows (2 of the 3 knew they wanted to be a consultant... one decided at her show). Another one had been thinking about it for a while and signed. Another I had been talking to for 3 years, another I talked to for 9 years (my mom) and the last was one who signed after her show and listening to me talk about the opp to someone else at her show.

I am not a recruiting machine... I'm not signing tons of people every month... I don't do 12 shows each week. By no means is this meant to be a "Look at how great I am post"... it's just a different perspective that it doesn't have to be that hard.

Just something to think about... :eek:

Colleen, I agree with you. Everything you said is true and the trips are obtainable. Just not for me. I was pouting because I do try to earn the trips and I used to be able to earn the second level easily...but not anymore so it was a pout on my part.

I am comparing when I started until now...11 years ago! Not only has PC changed, but so have many things in my life have changed and been added. I too can earn Level One just working my business. It does take a much bigger effort for me to earn the next level (and not sure I have ever earned a higher level...but wished I had).

Looks like you all had a great time in Toronto! I was looking at Kristy's pics on FB today and everyone looks like they had a great time!

If I earn the first level next year, I will be very happy...I need a cruise no matter how long or short. The best was the 7 day cruise, but 3 days sounds mighty fine to me!!!

Thank you for your words!

Interesting... Colleen, I earned Silver and did 100 shows last year. I did recruit and qualify a lot more people than you, so more points there for me. But, my show average was lower than yours because I was focused on recruiting. I agree that the trips are within reach for everyone who wants or needs to work their business consistantly. I always look at it like this, what other part time job would give you a trip as a thank you for doing a good job, not spectaular, but good job???

I work this and a fulltime job, I did 72 shows last year and qualifed 15 recruits and earned silver which also happens to be my 5th trip. I too just try to do a steady business in hopes that I can quit the other job soon but we shall see. I always explain to my shows that at my other job (in which I'm an Air Traffic Controller with god awful hours) I can work my hiney off all year long (and no I don't sleep in the tower, but have known to take a cat nap in the middle of a PC show) and my salary will not change and at the end of the year I get a ham. Yes, a ham. With PC I have direct control of giving myself a raise and they send me on cruises, Maui and Paris....do the math! As this really relates to any other job this point really hits home because so many people feel like money is so out of our control right now and this gives them some sense of control they might need. Also we need to always be in control of our own wants and needs...I know you have heard it but if you alrealy have told yourself that you won't earn a trip or any other goal you might have then you have already lost it. You can't predict whats coming down the road, open yourself up to all possiblities, plus your team looks to see what you do...and they will follow. They can't help it.
Well, I'm getting off the soapbox right now...sorry if I overstepped but I so want everyone to take the blinders of negative thinking off and open themselves to what every positive possiblitie comes your way...you might recognize it better!

I had 1 2009 recruit qualify in 2010 & then 8 of the 2010 recruits qualify in 2010. So that was 18,000 points. I was "paid as" Director in April, officially taking the title in May & continued to be "paid as" May-Dec. So that was another 4,500 points. My show average was $880 for the year. I did 19 Cooking Shows in 2010! The rest was Catalog Shows, Home Office Leads & outside orders. I don't really consider myself a recruiting machine either, things just seem to fall into place last year. I really wanted to earn GOLD this year, but certainly don't see it happening. Sales are lower on the new base in Tokyo and now here I am starting over in TX. Hoping to at least earn Bronze again this year. But if I do, hubby probably won't be able to go. That zone is off limits for a lot of the US Military members. :(Correction: I was "paid as" AD in Dec, so I earned 5,000 points for "paid as" in 2010.

kcont said:
I work this and a fulltime job, I did 72 shows last year and qualifed 15 recruits and earned silver which also happens to be my 5th trip. I too just try to do a steady business in hopes that I can quit the other job soon but we shall see. I always explain to my shows that at my other job (in which I'm an Air Traffic Controller with god awful hours) I can work my hiney off all year long (and no I don't sleep in the tower, but have known to take a cat nap in the middle of a PC show) and my salary will not change and at the end of the year I get a ham. Yes, a ham. With PC I have direct control of giving myself a raise and they send me on cruises, Maui and Paris....do the math! As this really relates to any other job this point really hits home because so many people feel like money is so out of our control right now and this gives them some sense of control they might need. Also we need to always be in control of our own wants and needs...I know you have heard it but if you alrealy have told yourself that you won't earn a trip or any other goal you might have then you have already lost it. You can't predict whats coming down the road, open yourself up to all possiblities, plus your team looks to see what you do...and they will follow. They can't help it.
Well, I'm getting off the soapbox right now...sorry if I overstepped but I so want everyone to take the blinders of negative thinking off and open themselves to what every positive possiblitie comes your way...you might recognize it better!

I so need this post as well as others so please don't think you are on a soap box!! Honestly it helps me see that I need to lay off the pity parties and get into the PC parties!!! I did recruit more last year but I put the minimum into it so I just need to up my game this year with recruiting and get serious with it. You all are not hurting any feelings...you are helping me see that it CAN be done and you are actually inspiring me! Thank you sooooo much! :candyheart:

I think it also depends on other factors in your life and where you want to prioritize. I will say ( as seen in earlier thread) I have been very driven since I started my business. I, too work a full time job and have 4 children ranging between ages 5-15. I earned Miami with what I thought was minimal effort, especially since I didn't even start thinking of a trip as a possibility until around July when I saw I was about halfway there. I made it a goal to earn Disney Level 4. I did have to sacrifice a few ball games here and there, but for the most part, I think I did right at 100 shows in 2009- and I qualified 10 new consultants. Maui was a huge incentive for me, and again, at the time, my younger children were not really involved in much and my oldest son still played middle school sports, so the time commitment for him was not as big. I earned Gold level for Maui, with 101 shows and 9 qualified consultants. I had a big February ( 10k +) which helped with double points and a huge November ( 12k.) Those two months were very hectic as far as my work schedule, but it was ok. That was worth it for me.
This year I am on track for silver and that is really my goal. I purposely cut my show schedule back to 6 cooking shows a month while encouraging catalog shows out the wazzoo. So far this year I have 3 new consultants and 2 more signing this month. My show average is right at $700.00, so that helps.
I think it is definitely do-able, it just does take planning and it has to be something you are consciously going for. If something falls through in any given month, I host my own catty show and offer free shipping on orders over 60.00 or 10% off a certain line or whatever sounds good at the time.
I get motion sickness so the cruise, although something my husband is really excited about, really doesn't excite me that much,lol. Hugs!!

baychef said:
I so need this post as well as others so please don't think you are on a soap box!! Honestly it helps me see that I need to lay off the pity parties and get into the PC parties!!! I did recruit more last year but I put the minimum into it so I just need to up my game this year with recruiting and get serious with it. You all are not hurting any feelings...you are helping me see that it CAN be done and you are actually inspiring me! Thank you sooooo much! :candyheart:

Ann - I just have to say that I love your attitude, and I've learned from you great lessons about always being willing to be taught and to learn. Thank you!

When I said above its out of reach for me (and not everyone) I said that simply because I know that recruiting is my greatest weakness. No matter what I try, it doesn't really improve. I haven't had a new signed recruit since Feb 2010...I think that says it all. :) My show avg in 2010 was over $800 but I'm def no David Meenan to achieve the highest level with no recruits sooo... until that aspect of my business changes, I don't sit and belly ache on the trips or have any pity parties for myself, I simply know its out of reach. Belly aching only makes me miserable. When/if the day comes that the stars align and it happens, WAHOO! I can't wait to accept that gift card!

Melissa, I signed in March '08 and didn't get my first recruit until Aug '09 - but I didn't TRY either. I had one drop in my lap in Aug, then 2 more by the end of the year. Jan '10 was when I decided to start actually USING the booking/recruiting slide AND doing the Full Service Checkout. I had never, not once, done the full service checkout. And although I owned the booking/recruiting slide and took it to my shows, I wasn't actually using it. I started 2010 with 3 on the team, promoted to D in May and ended the year with 42 on the team and being "paid as" AD for Dec (officially taking the title on Jan 1).

Changing those 2 things made a HUGE difference in my team and their teams! I also show them my paychecks. By seeing the difference that I would have made as a C, a C with $15,000 in Career Sales, TL, D and AD they can then determine if they are happy with what they are doing or if they want to recruit & build a team.

I really do believe that money motivates. Great starts motivate too. ;)

When doing the full service checkout, I don't ask them if they ever thought about being a consultant, I put my hand on the stack of recruiting info (so they look at the stack & see that I have it there) and ask if they would like to take home some information to learn more about doing what I do. I usually have at least 1 per show (sometimes 2 or 3) who say yes! I very briefly (like maybe 2-3 minutes) go over the basics of commission, $2 insurance, paydays, etc. Then tell them that there's 2 ways to sign (hosting a show & using the kit credit - or signing & letting that show be their first show). I always explain that I think the 2nd option is the smartest option & why.

For me, the big secret was sharing enough information without putting people on the spot, asking everyone and looking at recruiting like I'm offering a stick of gum. If they take it, cool beans! If they don't want that gum at all or right now, that's okay too. And I assure them that it's okay too. If every single person that I encountered decided to start their own PC business, I wouldn't have great customers or hosts, I'd only have recruits!!! LOL

We've had 61 join and 5 leave now. I don't think any of the 61 used the kit credit. I know none of the personal recruits did. I give my recruits both options & then explain why I think hosting their own first show is the smarter move. So far, they've all agreed. I suspect that my downline is continuing with that same theory when they are talking to recruits. When they host their own first show, they get to earn the host benefits, earn the paycheck , the sales count towards their goal to qualify and towards earning New Consultant Rewards. I also give my recruits all the bookings off their show. By providing them the best start possible, it helps them to lay the path for a successful business. The better they do, the more they like the business. The more they like it, the more likely they are to stay! My goal is to help them reach THEIR goal. Angie didn't push me when I signed under her and I am very thankful for that. She was there to support me with whatever I wanted to do with my business. I try to provide the same support. I do let them know that by staying active each month, they are keeping a steady paycheck and helping their recruiter to meet his/her goals ... but it's their business and they get to choose if they want to do 1 show or 20 shows a month.

I've heard the 1/3 rule (1/3 coming, 1/3 staying & 1/3 going) - but I'm too hard headed to fall for it. It's my belief that with the proper training & by helping them get off to a good start, they'll succeed. The ones who have a rough start are more likely to throw in the towel.

I don't recruit like crazy & have never made the CN for sales or recruiting. But I'm happy with my progress. :D I'm sure if I was pushy, I might have better recruiting stats, but it's just not in my personality to force people into doing something when they have reservations. AND, I'm not really interested in devoting my time & energy into training someone who's not going to stay. I want them to review the material, get all their questions answered, ensure that they have spousal support in their decision (especially if they have little ones at home & will be relying on the spouse for childcare when they are doing shows) and that they make an INFORMED decision. I don't own or carry the contracts to my shows. I have them go online & sign up when they are ready. I don't do the work for them. ;)

The #1 rule is If you think you can, or you think you can't ... you're probably right! I pretty much think I CAN in life. ;)

Sheila, thanks for your time and effort with your response. I do the FSCO and have used my slide since show #1 as my AD gave me a homemade one to start with and then I earned the HO one. I did the ticket activity at every show in 2010 and 2011 (so far) and now am trying instead a game called Stealing Hearts (its a spin on the ticket activity). The rest of my ADs team is doing well with it so I'm going to give it a shot. I always have information with me and next to my laptop. No one usually bites. When I do have them that take info, they never answer their phone for the call nor want to meet in in person. So that tells me they really are not interested and just want to humor me or are afraid to say no. I had one last month and she says she is going to join this month but until I see her on my screen AND submits, I won't believe it. Two months ago, the girl filled out the agreement, I gave her catalogs to get her started until everything arrived and when it came time for her cc information to sign her up, she wouldn't return any calls/emails/facebook etc. I get all the 'talkers' and I don't have time for talkers. That's a waste of time for all involved. I keep in touch regularly, I don't hound them, and if the day ever comes, great. If not, bless & release. I too offer the bookings and explain that they can join in 2 ways, as you do.

I'm a great student. I do all the trainings, I re-do the trainings, I work with my upline, I read everything on here and CS, I go to all the HO events (SL/NC/Dir Express/NDA), I implement what I learn, I do the FSCO/Slide, I work those who want to work on my team, I attend cluster mtgs, I host Recipe Night monthly (new consultant training & add'l training for older consultants), I lead trainings at Cluster Mtgs and I do any/all trainings I can from other Trainers (Ellsworth/Wiltshire/Stanley etc).

I have the knowledge, I know the do's and don'ts, I just don't get the recruits. I keep it simple too and don't even vomit info on them. Sometimes I think things just aren't meant to be.

Thanks again for your thoughts - its greatly appreciated. You all are an inspiration and someday aspire to be all of you. I just will brag about my new toilet & sink from my gift card instead of a trip. LOL (Hey its the little things in life, right?)

As far as recruiting for me, it's taken off this year more so than any. I'm not sure what the difference is... but here is what I am doing:
Ticket game @ every show, full service chkout & making an apt. @ the chkout if they are interested, 2 show/wk, and I honestly think the biggest change has been once I started putting a sample check in the guest folder. Nothing huge, my avg. $2,000. I also tell them when I do the drawing slip that if they mark the yes/maybe box that is for information not obligation.

Just keep trying, it will happen!

What a super thread! Thanks to everyone for sharing all your thoughts! Melissa, can you share the details of the Stealing Hearts Game? I had tons of points for the Toronto trip but missed it by 2 qualified recruits. BUT... I had to go and check my #'s. I've got 6 qualified already this year and have about 24000 pts to go for Bronze. But I'm hyperfocusing on what's in it for others, celebrating like crazy when my new recruits are successful and concentrating on what my hosts and recruits need and want. For me, I thought way too much about the trip last year and took my eyes off others a bit too much. So I'm trusting God to keep on blessing my business and asking Him to help me want those blessings for others. I let host coaching slip badly this whole past year but have kept a show average around $650...imagine if I had done better at coaching where I could have been... and I've not been too good at all about the FSCO ... and am working at being more intentional there... and I LOVE LOVE LOVE what y'all have shared here about what you say at shows and how you guide your leads to doing their own shows. I love how unselfish PC Consultants are across the board! We all want one another to succeed!!! What office anywhere can you find such care and concern for your fellow workers??? THANK YOU ALL!

As a new director, it has been very encouraging to see all of the support and encouragement here :)

I do know that by Carolyn sharing her $1000 show strategies from the workshop she taught at a prior conference, that I have had at the very least 1 $1000 show a month, but some months have been 2 and other months I have had shows closer to $1500 and $2000!

Melissa, you mentioned that your weakness is recruiting and I can relate to that as well. When I put my mind to it, my success improves. And as was mentioned, there can be more going on than just a full time job and PC. When there are more family issues that are pressing, those are the years I get distracted.

Love the posts and inspiration, Ladies!! Thanks a bunch!

Chefbeckyd said:
Ann - I just have to say that I love your attitude, and I've learned from you great lessons about always being willing to be taught and to learn. Thank you!

Thank you, Becky!!!! Constant reminders help!!

1. What is the Toronto Travel Survey event?

The Toronto Travel Survey event is an annual survey conducted by the city of Toronto to gather information about travel patterns and preferences of its residents. It aims to help improve transportation planning and infrastructure in the city.

2. Who can participate in the Toronto Travel Survey event?

All residents of Toronto, aged 18 and above, are invited to participate in the survey. The survey is open to both residents and non-residents, as long as they have travelled to or within Toronto in the past year.

3. How can I participate in the Toronto Travel Survey event?

You can participate in the Toronto Travel Survey event by completing the survey online, which will be available on the city's website during the survey period. You can also participate by phone or by attending one of the in-person survey events held in various locations in Toronto.

4. Is there a deadline to complete the Toronto Travel Survey?

Yes, there is a deadline to complete the Toronto Travel Survey. The survey is typically open for a few weeks during the summer months. Exact dates and deadlines will be posted on the city's website and communicated through various channels.

5. What kind of information will be collected in the Toronto Travel Survey?

The Toronto Travel Survey will collect information about your travel patterns and preferences, including modes of transportation used, frequency of travel, and reasons for travel. It will also gather demographic information such as age, gender, and household size to help with data analysis.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• amy07
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Replies
Views
ChefCKHall
  • PCwithStay-C
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies