1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Incentive trips no opportunity for some

1. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

I had to do it. The following letter to HO says it and why. I actually had a recruit lead that was very excited about the incentives she might be able to earn. Even the simple one of going to National Conference in 2011 which I never dreamed they would eliminate due to so many of us who work another full time job. But now she is not excited about signing. She is a nurse and works about 60 hours a week.
    So... Am I delusional or what? And now it does not even effect me but made me mad for those who thought they were over looked.

"This is actually for the people who do the incentive trips. When I attended the January 4th meeting with our entire group we were all very excited about what the upcoming incentives trips would be. Well, I decided to let you know that about half of our consultants were shocked. The over all response was from that group was a collective - "Well, I won't be going anywhere". We were actually shocked that you all dropped the lower level for free National Conference attendance. I was a computer operator/programmer. It also meant I worked 24/7. I was on call as well as working anywhere from 10 to 11 hours per day a lot of times and some weekends. I love Pampered Chef and it was fun trying to at least reach the lower incentive. Now this year, as I am now unemployed, I may be able to achieve $52,000. But there are many out there who will not actually be able to see anything come of their efforts at all. No goal they think is within their grasp to strive for. Given the economy and the fear we all have about loosing our jobs, most people working other jobs do not have the option to say, "Oh I can't work. I have a Pampered Chef party that day." I know where I used to work, if I had ever said that to my boss, the answer would have been, "Well, there's the door." You know what? That won't happen. Economic fear has everyone not willing to take that risk. Is there anyway you might consider reinstating that incentive trip benefit to consultants?"

Jan 10, 2010
  2. urbnk8

urbnk8 Member

I for one appreciate you doing that. I've never earned any of the levels in the 2+ years I've been with The Pampered Chef, I certainly start off the year with high hopes for myself. I'm kind of undecided if I want to REALLY go for it or not, because I'm not sure that even at my GREATEST effort, I can get to that point. I've got it in my head that I want to try for it, and just closed a show today for triple points, but I just think too realistic.

I think it is very helpful to people like me to have a slightly lower goal to try to attain. If you make the lowest level feel unattainable to people, they may just think "Why bother!?" Of course, I know all the other benefits of being successful with PC...commission, products, smaller incentives along the way, etc. But the bottom line is, you are still watching people around you go for these big things and you feel left in the dust.

I think that my director and her director who work together for our cluster meetings realized this. They actually put together 3 more levels below bronze for us to earn.

Emerald level...dinner for 2 up the North Shore of Lake Superior
    Next level (I forget the name)...dinner for 2 and hotel night's stay up Lake Superior OR
    room at the local Indoor Waterpark hotel with wristbands for 4
    3rd level (also forgot the name)...Room at the Waterpark Hotel down by Mall of America for 4 or something else I can't even remember...

Okay, so my recall of the levels is not so great...but I believe they are 15,000, 20,000, and 30,000 points (not counting double/triple point rewards). This seems TOTALLY attainable!! At least I have SOMETHING to look forward to!

But obviously not all directors will offer this. I am very lucky!

Thank you John, for your efforts and for thinking about the rest of us!

Jan 10, 2010
  3. Liquid Sky

Liquid Sky Advanced Member

That is way cool!!!

Jan 10, 2010
  4. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I was initially a bit disappointed, too. I did notice, though, that the said there likely will be opportunities to earn 1/2 price and free NC.

For me this was no different than when they added a recruiting requirement for Level 1. I can see their point about making trip incentives all about trips. I will miss having an equivalent to Level 1, though.

Jan 11, 2010
  5. chef131doreen

chef131doreen Veteran Member Gold Member

I have earned level 2 trips but I really do see your point. I must cost PC so much money for trips like Maui , and the points are very high so the ones that are going to earn that are working full time on PC 9-15 shows a month . I always thought they should have trips that are ( normal not over the top )
    Just to fly 2 people and the stay in Maui must cost over 4000. So why not pick a less expencive place and lower points so more concultants can earn them

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
    Jan 11, 2010
  6. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

Until 2009 the first level was for a gift card ($250 or $300 if you picked it up at Conference) and before that it was for a hotel of your choice for 2 nights.

I hated that they changed it to free conference especially since they added that you needed a recruit too.

For MANY people it is difficult to attain the higher levels and I especially feel bad for those who just miss $5200 or that 4th recruit. They get nothing and they came so close. At least with the lower level they'd get SOMETHING.

The lower level is also something that people who join later in the year can achieve or at least work for.

I am very disappointed in this yet another change. Someone was blaming Buffett the other day. I don't think it is anything to do with him - he leaves his successful companies to their executives. I think it's all about the corporate big shots getting their bonuses and separating the top from the rest of us. Notice all the higher level promotions and the fact that there are less new directors each month? Many directors have lost their status and many more are "paid as" TL's most months because one of the select consultants didn't submit but still have to "perform as" directors for their teams especially if they don't have upline living near them but without the overrides to help them do it. My director said that we are making more money with this new program - yes, perhaps the newest consultants and definitely the upper level but directors and AD's are making less most months. I have 4 SC/TL teams and am paid as TL more than half the time because only 3 of the 8 chosen people submit that month even with me offering incentives, etc.

It used to be that we were rewarded for our efforts. Now unless we recruit constantly we are nothing. Do you get any more help from your upper level directors than you did before the changes?

Sorry this turned into such a big vent.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Jan 11, 2010
  7. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Legacy Member Gold Member

I do my best to not be Negative about company decisions and policies but I agree. HO is making it harder for part timers to earn the big rewards.

That being said I am glad that the offer so many smaller rewards for consultants during individual months and think this may be part of HO's thinking.

Jan 11, 2010
  8. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

I agree that there are many people who will find the trip levels unattainable.

The meeting I attended last week (which wasn't my usual group, since we don't have a local Director and wouldn't have had the materials) seemed less than ecstatic about the announcements. Toronto wasn't a big deal, because that's a fairly common travel destination for people in the Detroit area. And the requirements for Maui are so huge for those who can't dedicate themselves to their biz full time (not that it CAN'T be done - just that it's a real stretch).

I'm a little underwhelmed with the destinations, too. I'd prefer something other than a "bathing suit locale," but that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Jan 11, 2010
  9. urbnk8

urbnk8 Member

I guess I didn't understand their whole thing on this...making it all about trips. That to me was an excuse or cop out...even while watching the video I was thinking this. It doesn't make sense to me. Why does it have to be all about trips? To some of us, travel isn't the most important thing. Don't get me wrong, if I earned a trip, I'd TAKE the trip and LOVE it, but I don't mind having other options. With 3 kids, travel isn't the easiest thing to do...with OR without them.

Jan 11, 2010
  10. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

[​IMG] the idea of adding extra incentives. I sat down with my husband & told him what I was thinking. He loved it too. So I just sent the e-mail to my team. They are all fairly new to PC and have all been active every month thus far, but I think by lighting a fire under their butts and getting them even MORE motivated that they already were will not only benefit them, but will help me promote to Director much faster (as I explained in my e-mail to them)!!!

Here's what I offered:

How do I plan to achieve the payouts? I'm going to transfer every penny of the overrides that I get from my 1st & 2nd generation into savings, keeping the overrides on my sales and the Home Office Leads. If my math is correct, it should cover it plus some! :D

Jan 11, 2010
  11. raebates

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I think the incentives should be about trips. While I love to travel, that's not necessarily a big incentive for me. What I do understand is that if you're calling the incentive "Irresistible Destinations" it makes sense to have all of the rewards be destinations.

Jan 11, 2010
  12. lisasfuncooking

lisasfuncooking Member

I have only been doing this for a year and was really hoping for an incentive to give me a push. My problem though, isn't so much trying to work for the points as it is the dates of travel. My husband and I have a swimming pool business and are back to work during the time of travel. I couldn't even take a few days off for conference- free or not. I understand that they cannot cater to all individual needs. At least they do have the visa card as an incentive for level 2, which I would love! So I still have a goal to work for. I am not familiar with past travel incentives, but I would think being able to earn a few nights to a hotel chain, that would work around your schedule. It is easier to achieve a lower point package, which in return would really give a boast in confindence and feel valued with the company.
    But lets face it- everything always come down to $$$, in which I'm sure PC must take into consideration.
    At least there are monthly incentives to work for even if it is not a destination trip.
    As a whole, who wouldn't love a free trip! But to know I have the opportunity to make $ to help pay off bills is an incentive enough for me.

13. Our team completely feels the same. The problem with my team is they don't really want to have my leader help them out either. I did email her the ideas I got from here so hopefully we can get motivaqted as a team and maybe earn something:)

Jan 11, 2010
  14. urbnk8

urbnk8 Member

Yeah, that totally makes sense...but maybe they could have chosen a different name? Besides, is Toronto really an IRRESISTIBLE destination? I've been there and LOVED it! But I don't know that I'd call it IRRESISTIBLE...Hawaii, yes.

Jan 11, 2010
  15. dannyzmom

dannyzmom Legend Member Gold Member

I'm sorry you guys but quite honestly...they don't HAVE to give us anything!!!
    Do your 9-5 jobs offer you free vacations???

THIS IS A GIFT!

If you don't think you can earn it - then focus on ALL THE OTHER GIFTS they offer us throughout the year - almost every single month they are running incentives from free products to logo wear to NC registration and PC dollars...go for those.

I have been on level 2, 3 and 4 trips and I can tell you there are TONS of people on those trips who have 9-5 jobs on top of their Pampered Chef businesses...I have seen Chiropractors, accountants, nurses, teachers, day care providers and then some on these trips. If they can do it, so can each and every one of you.

If you want something bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes to earn it. How badly do YOU want it?

Jan 11, 2010
  16. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

ITA with Carolyn! You CAN earn it.

Jan 11, 2010
  17. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Legacy Member Gold Member

Excellent points Carolyn! And I agree with you.

For someone who started who may have started this biz for the Opportunity to earn a trip (not me) it may seem like the Company is making it harder to attain. We all need to remember it is a BONUS!

Now, while I am not crazy about Toronto I will not pass it up if... no, WHEN I earn it! My goal this year is to finally reach my business goals! With an out of work DH I need 2 shows a week. With our family schedule and dynamic I have not been able to have this level of shows before. It was a CHOICE we made for our family.

I personally an more focused on what I need to do for our family to make ends meet. If I earn a trip as a bonus then all the better.

Anyone can do ANYTHING they desire, you just need the desire and drive to achieve it!

Jan 11, 2010
  18. cookie325

cookie325 Member

Carolyn, thank you so much for your post! I have NEVER earned a trip - never even gotten close to level 1 before - but I'm going to Maui. There, I said it. Granted, I don't work a full-time job, but I am in school full-time and I have five kids age 10 and under, so I would say I work full-time and I am going to earn it no matter what. And, even if I wasn't able to earn it, well, that's not PC's fault. Its an incentive, which means not everyone will earn it, but certainly everyone has the opportunity to. Be it Toronto or Maui, a free trip is a free trip - and I, for one, will not pass it up!

Jan 11, 2010
  19. ChefLoriG

ChefLoriG Advanced Member Gold Member

I have to agree with Carolyn, the trip is a bonus! Not a right, and they want you to work hard for it. In all my years of working other jobs, no one has ever offered me a trip for a job well done, let alone a turkey for the holidays.
    The trips are attainable, you just have to work for them. You can earn the bronze level trip doing 2 shows a week. This will also earn you everything else Pampered Chef has to offer. You are leaving your house 8 times a month, is it really that hard? I have an inspiring story to share, a few years ago at Leadership I met an Amish lady who had achieved Level 4 of the trip. She has no car, she has no electricity, and has no phone. She had to hire people to drive her (she's not allowed to own a wagon), had to use someone else's computer to input her shows, and had to walk about a mile to get to the closest phone to do customer care calls. If she can overcome all those obstacles, I know each of you can also. These are rewards the company is offering, it's up to you to decide if they are worth working for.

Jan 11, 2010
  20. raebates

Thanks for the reminder and the very loving kick in the tushie, Carolyn. ;)

Jan 11, 2010
  21. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

Gotta agree with Carolyn, too-- the trips are a nice BONUS. Which is exactly why I haven't made an issue about my general disappointment in the destinations. It would be like being ungrateful for a gift.

Jan 11, 2010
  22. pamperedpals

pamperedpals Senior Member Gold Member

Very well put Carolyn.

I know that when I first started with PC over 10 yrs ago, I worked FT and earned the incentive's every year (5 yrs). Since I have been back (3 yrs) I have not really focused on earning anything. Last year I was close $1663 or one recruit qualifying shy of Level 1. That only put a fire under me to work my business even more this year and be consistent.

I still work FT and am looking forward to growing personally and professionally this year, while earning an incentive. It is truly all about what you put into your business and what you want.

Jan 11, 2010
  23. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

John, thank you for sending this letter.

I have called these trips "unattainable destinations." The way I figure it, I'd have to sell more than $4,000 a month just to get to Toronto. Meanwhile, I can (and HAVE) traveled to Toronto twice for far less than the stated value of the trip.

With my full-time job, I'm lucky to stay active ... especially when I have "hosts" who lie to me, dodge my calls and get their phones shut off! I have stayed active by the skin of my teeth, but it's been July since I had a show that was over $300 .. or even much over $200 for that matter.

I wish I had a director like Sheila but instead I have one who takes the activity bonus she gets from me, puts it in her pocket, then asks for donations to cover the cost of renting a place for the meetings!

So here's a challenge we all can live with ... get active, increase your show averages, and increase your income in 2010. Then take everything that is over and above what you made last year and put it in the bank! Then send YOURSELF someplace great!

24. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

My first thoughts were similar to John's - when I first heard the locations and requirements for earning.

But, then I realized that if it was something I really wanted - I'd do the work to get it. Neither of the locations holds enough incentive for me to work harder to achieve the trip. I HATE to fly (it makes me sick for 2-3 days afterwards, so I wouldn't enjoy the tropical location anyway) and Toronto...meh...no thanks. Maybe in the summer, but there's a very big possibility it will be COLD still that time of year, and DH really doesn't like big cities anyway.
    Not complaining - just saying that although I'll work hard at my business this year, I won't be killing myself to earn a trip. If I do earn one, DH and I already decided I'd take the $$ and put it towards a family vacation that we want to take. I'd determined before hearing the destinations that if it was one of the places we'd dreamed of going - I would work harder than ever to achieve it!

Oh - and I already have One qualified recruit (she turned in her qualifying show last week!) and 3 more in the process of qualifying...and 1500 points other than that, so I'm off to a great start!

I do have to disagree on one point though. I don't believe it is a gift - it is an EARNED benefit. A gift is given w/o strings attached, and this is something, that if you do EARN it, you should be proud of the hard work that got you there!

Jan 11, 2010
  25. raebates

It is a bonus, though. It's something extra--a little carrot out there. Frankly, this is the only company I've ever worked with that offered routine bonuses. There are bonuses available most months in addition to the trips.

I've readjusted my attitude. Am I disappointed that the incentive level I've been able to earn most years has been eliminated? Yes. Do I still think PC is an awesome company to be affiliated with? Absolutely. Since I've finally gotten the ball rolling with recruiting, maybe I'll hit the mark this year and earn a "medal."

Jan 11, 2010
  26. heather223

heather223 Veteran Member Gold Member

I couldn't agree more with Carolyn. The trips ARE attainable to those that work full time. I work full time and I earned Level 1 last year and was extremely close to earning level 2. The only reason I didn't was because I gave up when I realized that I couldn't take our family to Disney with it being so close to my due date.

If you want something bad enough then you will earn it. It isn't sometheing they GIVE us it is something we have to EARN! I certainly don't get anything like this at my full time job.

Jan 11, 2010
  27. cookie325

cookie325 Member

You know, every other incentive year, I have looked at the trip and thought to myself that there's no way I can earn it. And then I kick myself when I see others who have done it. And as I'm kicking myself, I always think of this quote:

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." ~ Author Unknown

And now, I think of this quote daily and ask myself which one I am going to be today. It is the daily kick in the pants that I need to make me work so I don't have to continue kicking myself for long! :p

Jan 11, 2010
  28. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

LOVE that quote!

Jan 11, 2010
  29. chefsteph07

chefsteph07 Legacy Member

I have to agree w/ Carolyn too, and have been biting my tongue to not say something....

I have been in PC for 6 1/2 years and during that whole time, I only earned level 1 ONCE and that was great...last year I only had 18 pts so I missed it as well. Last year when they announced Disney, I got a fire under me like I had never gotten before. I only had THREE shows booked for Jan last yr, but those shows totalled over $2500 in sales, which was double pts month. I was ahead of where I needed to be! As the months rolled on, I always stayed one month ahead, got more aggressive w/ my attitude and my shows and sales showed it! I qualified for the trip in OCTOBER...way ahead of where I thought I would be! I wanted to take my family to Disney like nobody's business! :) So, just to show that the year before, didn't even make enough to qualify for free conference, next year went well beyond where I needed to be for a TRIP! YOU CAN DO IT! Will it be hard work? YES! But, the money, contacts, etc has been well worth it!

Will I be doing the same thing this year? I'm not sure, I really had a hunger for the Disney trip, for Toronto, not so much, but I ended the year about 11k points over where I needed to be, so I see it could be possible. Would I be heartbroken? Definitely not! . It is a FUN job, but like anything else you work hard for, it is WORK!

I don't know how I feel about that letter that John wrote, I initially expressed disappointment that PC didn't offer a smaller level...and I still feel that way, but I do agree with all the incentives they give out EVERY month it seems, I'll take those to free conference. It's $200 guys..., get into conference club and you won't even miss it, when it's time to register in April, you will have it.

Believe me, if "I" can earn a trip, ANYONE can earn a trip! I proved it to myself!

Jan 11, 2010
  30. heat123

heat123 Legend Member Silver Member

I have to agree with Beth. I used to be able to earn the $250 GC or free confrence before the recruiting requirements stipulation was added. Even that was a great accomplisment, I felt. Eliminating level 1 is a big dissapointment to the part time PC consultants, IMHO.

It seems very difficult to attain these trips desitnations incentives for the Rest. Each year seems to get more difficult, with more recruiting requirements and such.:(

Good luck to all.

Jan 11, 2010
  31. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I was disappointed when they added the recruiting requirement. My first year in the business I earned Level 1 when there wasn't a recruiting requirement. When they announced the new incentives the next year I didn't think I could make it. But then I thought well I might as well try! And I got that plus the one from last year! I would love to earn a trip and plan on working towards it. Will I make it? Maybe? Who knows but (my favorite quote for the year): If you aim for the moon and miss it at least you land in the stars. Which means even if I don't earn the trip there will be so many more positive things that I may earn or learn this year through my business!

Jan 11, 2010
  32. loreo

loreo Banned

That's a great attitude- and I love the quote too!

Jan 11, 2010
  33. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

I so agree that these trips are majorly a wonderful gift from our company. I know they are not a right. But with HO being so "goal" orientated, they sort of took that goal away for a lot of people. And I know that it is obtainable for most 9 to 5ers. I also know as I was not a typical 9 to 5er. My hours were never set in stone. My general hours were from 8:45 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. BUT I also had to be at home at 8 p.m. Monday through Wednesday every night to run our day end procedures. And there were many times it would be Monday through Friday so our collections department could do collection calls later into the night. And Saturdays and Sundays were the days I went in to run updates or yearly letters or special projects. And most times these were not preplanned. You did them when the requesting department was ready for them. I found many consultants were in positions that had started running OT shifts that were mandatory as the companies they worked for were very much not hiring new people but the work still needed to get done. And most of them too were told the day of or the week before a weekend OT stint. How do you plan for that? So basically what those people hear, as my recruit did and she told me this, was that if you want to do PC and earn anything major - you can't work a full time job that is unpredictable. We don't live in that type of economic climate any more. When they say "jump" you simply ask how high! I had to cancel several parties, actually 9, last year because of "extra" stuff I needed to do for work. I missed the free NC by $5000. Do you know that with my show average and had I been able to do those shows, I would have gotten it even though I was laid up for two months. It was totally obtainable for me. I set my sights on it in January and worked my butt off to get there. Now, if I had been employed still, my January and February would still have been lean so there is no making up for that as I work almost every weekend in those two months. Then in March and early April I loose another 4 weeks of productive parties. Then again in June and August. Those I could predict. But then again, I never knew when the report runs would actually occur date wise. So... that is why I brought it up. I see both sides and I do understand HO and I understand what you said Carolyn but have you really seen the totality of the other side? Unless we actually walk in someone elses shoes, we can not clearly see what they are facing. It is easy to say "Well I work 40 hours a week and I can do it". But I can say to that I work 40 hours a week and I can't do it. Why? Because from week to week I only knew APPROXIMATELY when I could do parties or not. I never could book far out and booking in close from one party to another seemed not to work for me. So... Tell me the words please to use with this recruit to explain that even with a screwy schedule, she can make it to Toranto at least. I am very open to suggestions.

Jan 11, 2010
  34. Liquid Sky

Liquid Sky Advanced Member

Does she work the same schedule as you?

If you come the the "recruiting table" with more of a negative take on the trip levels this year then so will she. She will have to decide for herself how bad she wants it and will make it happen. Everyone earns the trips differently...my AD earns them (level 4) by August every year. Another AD (above me and my AD) kicks major butt to earn the trips the last 5 months of the year. Yes, she does killer back to back shows and sells and recruits her brains out..but that's just how she operates every year. One is slow and consistent, and the other takes it easy then gets the fire lit under her and makes it happen under the gun.

If earning the trips is your recruit's "why" then communicate to her that ANYONE can earn any trip they want, and it's up to the individual to determine if they WANT to earn it. "That's the cool thing! In PC any consultant at any level can earn trips! You don't have to be up to a certain "level" to get priority picking of your destination!" (meaning D's and above get to go on trips...etc)

It does not make sense to tell her (if you had been telling her or what not) that it's a shame b/c prior years there was a lower "level 1" and then they threw recruiting requirements in. It all doesn't matter. It is what it is and you, as her recruiter, are there to help her reach her goal(s). Try not to let your opinions (dislikes) about the certain promotions deter her decision making...b/c you will find she will not sign (more than likely) and you two will never know if she could have earned a trip.

I hope this all makes sense. It's kinda like that saying that if you had a horrible day and you are on your way to a cooking show to leave all that mental junk at the door before you walk into the hosts home. Same goes for recruiting. There are things that we all have "beefs" about (personal choices/feelings) and don't hand that over to the potential recruit. She wants to earn a trip? SHE CAN! You will help her reach her goals and lay the path for her to reach it. :thumbup:

Jan 11, 2010
  35. dannyzmom

dannyzmom Legend Member Gold Member

Very well put Caressa!!!

Jan 11, 2010
  36. mscharf

mscharf Advanced Member

I think it is a misconception you have to do a ton of shows to earn a trip. I earned level 2 Disney, in my first year of business, and I only did 41 cooking shows this year. Anything is possible!
    I don't focus on the trips when recruiting. Find out their WHY and focus on that!! I do talk about the EXTRAS PC rewards us with on a small and large scale, but they are just that... EXTRAS!

Jan 11, 2010
  37. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

My take is this....was I disappointed that the first level was "so high"? Yes- a little, but I decided to look at the numbers and see what it would take for me to get Level 2! (Aim for the moon!). Surprisingly...if I can do the 2 shows a week average, increase my SHOW average at those said shows, and then throw in 3-4 catalog shows a month...It could likely happen! Now- of course, the recruiting- I'm shooting for 10 to get the points....but if I'm doing 8-10 shows a month, I'll be in front of alot of people....average at my show is 10...so about 80-100 people every month. If 1 person per month between now and November signed up, I'd have my 10 people!

I know my first goal to start getting this ball rolling is to improve my Customer Care!! Then I need to get my phone scripts on paper and in front of me so I can be on the phone more regularly.

Will I make Maui? I hope so, but if I miss and get Toronto- I'll make that a wonderful trip with my family (I'm looking at it for Niagra Falls personally...not so much the city.)

I think it's great that some directors are offering extra incentives- because it only helps THEM, since their team will be motivated and sell (which helps the director!). THe cluster I was with (hospitality) when we saw the video- no one said anything about the trips!! It was weird. You could almost sense the thoughts going through everyone's minds...but I want to achieve something.

Worst case scenario....I build my business up, have nice fat commission checks and earn all of the OTHER Fabulous incentives throughout the year (hopefully including free NC for THIS year!) and if I don't make the trip, I'll probably have a better poised business for the next one.

Play with the numbers....you might surprise yourself. It can't hurt to try, right??

Keep a POSITIVE attitude about it for your recruits, too....otherwise, you won't have many recruits trying too hard! (which will impact your paycheck too!) Encourage them to do their best to build their business and get the other great incentives. If they start mid-year, help them build the business up so that starting the beginning of the next year, they have a foundation in place for earning what comes in 2012. They'll still have the other incentives to work for even in the later months of the year- think of all we've had this year, like totes, Sell-A-Thon products, and even PC Bucks which can be used for NC and other things.

Ok...I'll stop now. :D

Jan 11, 2010
  38. susanr613

susanr613 Senior Member Gold Member

Two great points made here - first that the trip is ON TOP of everything else we earn - commission, free products and other incentives during the year. Second that ANY goal is attainable if you are willing to think outside your box and work your patootie off.

Right around Christmas, Oprah featured a woman from Africa who was not allowed to be educated, was married very young and abused by her husband, and lived in a small village. When she was in her 20's with 3 - 4 kids, she met a woman from Heifer Intl, who told her anything is attainable. She proceeded to earn bachelors and masters degrees and is on track to earn her PhD. She and her children live in the US, and she divorced the abuser and remarried.

When you read about those situations, it makes earning a trip seem either trivial or attainable. You choose and let that guide you.

Jan 11, 2010
  39. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

I agree. But please, let me add a personal one of my own.

In other words, I would never, ever, ever take your goals away from you. Please do not set goals for me, and chide me for meeting expectations I find unreasonable for me and my situation.

It is YOUR LIFE, and YOUR WAY! Not YOUR LIFE and SOMEBODY ELSE'S WAY.

I can relate to John. I too work a full-time job with very odd hours, frequent second shifts, special projects and weekend shifts. I can GUESS as to what weekends I will be working but I have been wrong in the past. It's typically one or two weekends a month.

I, too, am grateful for regular ongoing incentives. I can't meet them much of the time, however, and that is OK with me. For instance, this is the first year I have not made November sell a thon. Not because I did not have two November shows, but because I did not have them in the time frame set for me. Only because my Nov. 26 host agreed to have her show submitted as a December show did I meet any SAT level at all!

But even that is more than my previous product line gave me ... I remember having to sell thousands in a given time period just to get a small selection of the new product line ... and it was always in a month when it was HARDEST to sell!

John ... I would tell your recruit to strive for other incentives aside from the trips if she's daunted by the requirements. There are plenty of carrots aside from this one.

40. cookie325

cookie325 Member

Di, I was not attempting to chide you for saying that the trip is unattainable for you or set goals for you, as is apparent if you read my post. Only you know your personal situation and what you're capable of. As I said, that is a quote that I tell myself daily when I think it can't be done, because in reality, I know it can. My message was simply to share with others how I have often told myself that I couldn't do it and how I am not allowing myself to indulge in any more negative self-talk this time around. As has been said before in other threads, whether you think you can or think you can't - you're right.

Jan 11, 2010
Have something to add?