• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Top Bible Suggestions: Find Your Perfect Bible Here!

In summary, the conversation is about different suggestions for purchasing a new Bible and the reasons behind each recommendation. Some suggested Bibles include the NIV study Bible, Life in the Spirit Study Bible, Fire Bible, NIV Women's Devotional Bible, NIV Mother's Devotional Bible, Quest Study Bible, NKJV John MacArthur Study Bible, ESV, and the Holy Bible Recovery Version. The group also discusses the importance of finding a Bible that fits an individual's personal needs and preferences. The conversation also touches on the topic of different translations and the importance of understanding God's word.
chefheidi2003
Gold Member
Ok so after posting on the thread that Janetupnorth started with the poll about the bible…I had 2 people PM me to suggest Bibles to me…so that has led me to post the question so that hopefully I get gather some more suggestions…I am looking to purchase a new Bible and I was wondering if anyone can suggest one…and why would you suggest that one??

Oh, I will prayerfully die while I am reading my NIV study Bible. I love the commentary and the center-margin references. I really like the NIV because it's a little more "today" without being a total paraphrase.

I only use the KJV...because it is the original translation and I believe that when you keep translating over and over eventually parts are missing and it gets taken out of context. Sometimes when you compare the same verse in several different translations, you get something that has an entirely different meaning. I believe that God can help anyone understand his word. For children I always suggest getting a Bible for their age...and they will be more in story form. A person who has never read the Bible may need a children's Bible at first. I don't mean that in a condescending way.

The Bible that I use is called the Life in the Spirit Study Bible. It's called the Fire Bible in China. It has introductions to each book and commentary at the bottom.

As always, this is just my opinion.

I totally respect your opinion, Shawnna. But...:) if you don't read the Bible very often and haven't been brought up reading the Bible, I would NOT recommend reading the KJV. Please, don't take offense, anyone. If you are very intellectual, the KJV may be fine, but I grew up in a KJV Bible church, and couldn't stand reading that Bible. It isn't practical IMO. I have an NIV study Bible, an NIV Women's Devotional Bible, and an NIV Mother's Devotional Bible. The devotional Bibles are nice because you have devotions all ready for you every day. They aren't too "deep" and they are quick to read. You can do extra Bible studies when you're ready. I like the Study Bible because of all the notes at the bottom. Many of the verses are explained. When I was in college and not really into God, my sister bought me the NIV Student Bible. There's the Life Application Bible, which is very practical for, well, you know, life. If you are in recovery for something (like alcohol or drug addiction or any other addiction) there is the Life Recovery Bible. There are so many more versions (NIV, KJV, NASB, The Message, NKJV, etc.) and so many types within the versions. Just go to the store and look through the different types. See if there is one that fits your life.

I have the Quest Study Bible and LOVE it! On every page there are side margins that ask revelant questions, and explain things that most layman may have trouble understanding. If you are new Christian, as I was when I purchased it, it would be a great Bible to look into. Good luck finding a Bible that is just for you!

NkjvI suggest the NKJV (New King James Version) John MacArthur Study Bible. It's great and I really recommend it if you plan to start up on reading the bible. It includes commentaries that will explain it as you go along. Very helpful.
I read KJV, NKJV and ESV. I believe the translation on those three are the best. I do prefer my ESV but read all three translations when I study to get all the different wording. I love that old English!! LOL

ESV Bible Online: Preface to the English Standard Version

Debbie :D

The Holy Bible Recovery Version:) If you want a Bible that can help you understand all of God's riches... this is the Bible for you (everyone) ... The Holy Bible Recovery Version

Visit Bibles for America - Distributing Free Study Bibles Across America for more information and you can also request a FREE Bible. No obligation! The Word of God is FREE!

Need more convincing? Look up the reviews posted at Amazon.com... http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Recovery-Version-Burgandy/dp/customer-reviews/0736306323/ref=cm_cr_acr_dp_top/105-8906307-8841209?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&customer-reviews.start=1#customerReviews

I recommend that everyone request a copy. You won't regret it.

I go with the NKJV as well. It is very close to the origianl Hebrew and Greek while not going completly over the head with the "thou saith" etc.

I do a lot of personal study with a NIV study bible as well though. It is what I used mostly when I first got saved and has a lot of my notes written in the margins. It's really nice to be able to see how far God has brought me (even though I still have sooooo far to go!)

Lots of good suggestions. Whichever bible you choose, God is big enough to make Himself clear to you in a very personal way. That's part of the Holy Spirits job! Let us know which one you end up choosing.

PamperedChefDebi said:
I personally prefer the New Living Translation. If you wish, check out this website and compare: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 50 versions and 35 languages.

I second the NLT. I've read many of the translations discussed (and at least one no one has mentioned) and this is by far my favorite! In BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) they ask us to use the NIV (which is considered fairly easy reading) -- wish we could use NLT instead.

Shawnna said:
I only use the KJV...because it is the original translation and I believe that when you keep translating over and over eventually parts are missing and it gets taken out of context. Sometimes when you compare the same verse in several different translations, you get something that has an entirely different meaning. I believe that God can help anyone understand his word. For children I always suggest getting a Bible for their age...and they will be more in story form. A person who has never read the Bible may need a children's Bible at first. I don't mean that in a condescending way.

The Bible that I use is called the Life in the Spirit Study Bible. It's called the Fire Bible in China. It has introductions to each book and commentary at the bottom.

This is incorrect. It was not the original translation. The KJV was authorized to be written by King James, not because he had any deep love for the Word of God, but because he was trying to appease the masses, and save his own head. The translation had to have approval by him.....and so is skewed by his own desires for what he wanted Scripture to say. Several more recent translations are more accurate, and more closely follow the original Hebrew & Greek texts. The MOST accurate (word for word) is The New American Standard Version. However, because it strives for complete word for word accuracy, sometimes the sentence structure is awkward, and harder to read. The NIV is good - and probably the most readily available. However, I agree with those who recommend the New Living Translation (NLT). There are some translations which use intermediate translations as their starting point (like some use the KJV, and just update the language) but the NIV , and the NLT both are translations which have used the original Texts for the translation. They were both taken through a rigorous process with scholars from many different denominations taking part, to make sure that the translation was as accurate as it could possibly be. Meaning, not just one man's interpretation of a scripture, but many scholars agreeing on the translation. I enjoy reading the NLT - because it is just so readable - I think it is an excellent choice for a first Bible or a devotional Bible.....and I also use the NIV, and the NASV when I am comparing and really studying a passage.

I actually compare several versions. I love the NIV version, but I also have a separate Bible that has two versions in it. The King James and the Amplified Version. Each is side by side all throughout the Bible. It's neat to read the right side of the page and then look on the left for the Amplified version of it. But then I also look at the NIV and sometimes the Message for that same verse. It's wonderful how the whole scripture comes alive when you reference with other versions and look in Strongs Concordance for certain meanings of words, or finding the Hebrew or Greek meaning for certain words. It's awesome. I would suggest getting a couple different versions, and definitely have the King James on hand. The KJV is very hard for my husband to read, bless his heart, was never really good at reading period, so when he reads that version, he doesn't have a clue, so I bought him the Message. He LOVES it!!

Last edited:
pckelly said:
I actually compare several versions. I love the NIV version, but I also have a separate Bible that has two versions in it. The King James and the Amplified Version. Each is side by side all throughout the Bible. It's neat to read the right side of the page and then look on the left for the Amplified version of it. But then I also look at the NIV and sometimes the Message for that same verse. It's wonderful how the whole scripture comes alive when you reference with other versions and look in Strongs Concordance for certain meanings of words, or finding the Hebrew or Greek meaning for certain words. It's awesome. I would suggest getting a couple different versions, and definitely have the King James on hand. The KJV is very hard for my husband to read, bless his heart, was never really good at reading period, so when he reads that version, he doesn't have a clue, so I bought him the Message. He LOVES it!!

Parallel Bibles are great when you get to the point of wanting two versions. I grew up reading the KJV so like Shawnna, still go to that. However, the "old english" tends to get people nowadays. I personally prefer some of the "stronger text".

My favorite example is:
I Thes. 5:17 - KJV - Pray without ceasing
I Thes. 5;17 - NIV - Pray continually

One to me says, oh just keep going, the other says DON'T STOP - EVER! :)
That is just personal preference and familiarity.

Most churches I have been in use the NIV as a pew Bible or study Bible so my parallel bible has KJV and NIV so I can read both when needed.

I would heed the majority here and say and NIV Study Bible or NLT, the NLT which I am not familiar with, but fully trust Becky's education and recommendations.

On the note of translations, I had a Sunday School teacher in college that would ONLY read straight from his Hebrew or Greek Bible.

Heidi - just wanted to say to read the bold in my signature...I've had it up and bolded for quite a few months now but I believe with all my heart it will hold true for you! Let us know what you end up getting (and reading). We all could use some accountability many days on reading our Bibles!

I love my NAS version. I find it very readable, and had also heard that it is the most "true" translation.

I use a Life Application Bible, that directs me in its commentary to apply it to my life, not just learn it, which I personally REALLY need. Life Application Bibles come in different translations, I believe.

I only take the KJV to church. I have a Life Application and a NIV at home but mainly read the KJV. I use the other two when I need to better understand something. But when I am reading my Bible or doing any type of study I read the KJV. I do not think I have ever read any other translation.

My preacher does his preaching and teaching out of the KJV and I feel there i no way to "be on the same page with him" if you have a different translation to follow along with.

There are two key verses I alway check anytime I buy any Bible. To make sure they have the virgin birth and that anyone can be saved. I do not have them with me, they are written in my Bible at home. I will post them from home.

It really depends on what you want to do with your bible. I have several translations. I have a New King James Study Bible. It has the beauty of the King James language, but is a bit easier for most people to read. I like the NIV, New American Standard, and the Living Translation. I'm currently using an Amplified NIV Bible. A few years ago we bought our son a parallel Bible with NIV, KJ, NAS, and another translation which escapes me at the moment. He loves it. The most important thing is to choose one that you understand and begin reading. Over time, you may decide to select another translation that will help open up and broaden your understanding.The second most important thing, and it's a very close second, is to pray before reading. God will open your heart and mind to His meaning for your life if you allow Him to.

Many people have brought up a good point - Janet, Rae, and others.......

No matter the translation, if you are seeking God, and ask Him for direction and understanding as you read, then God will use whatever translation you are reading to teach and guide you. I too was raised on mostly KJV, didn't encounter the NIV til I was in high school - and I feel that I had a good grounding in God's Word all through my childhood.

You have gotten lots of good advice here. One thing that I don't think has been mentioned...perhaps you would be able to make a good decision if you go into a Christian bookstore. I know the one we have around here (Berean Bookstores) has VERY helpful folks working in each area of the store. Call ahead and ask when would be a good time that you could speak to someone who is knowledgable on the different bible versions. They will be able to ask you questions on your knowledge/intent/etc. and show you a couple good choices that will match you.

I pray that God leads you in the direction of the bible He has picked out for you. Go with your "gut" instinct....normally that's how I feel the holy spirit leading me. I am excited for you to be looking for a bible!! :)

I did that when I bought my DH his first Bible. It was very helpful. They asked questions about him, where we were going to church, where he was in his walk, etc. He used that for a long time and still refers to it often.

My husband loves his New Living Translation and we both have an NIV as well. Our teens in our youth group always want to hear what the New Living translation says... I think it makes the most day to day sense to them. If I'm digging deep for answers... I use as many as I can find... which means I'll be at BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 50 versions and 35 languages. so I can just pull up what text I want and change the versions right in front of me.

Shawnna said:

We have about 8 bibles in our house and ALL of them are KJV. That is all we buy or give to anyone. We go to a southern Baptist church and that is all we read. I don't knock anyone who reads anything else. My sister and my dad read NIV. Personally, as long as they are reading a bible I don't care. But, like I said we only buy KJV. My kids don't know it yet but they each have one with their names on them.

A Bible You Can Understand.Excerpts from the Recovery Version:

On the Need for Bible Translation:
With many translations of the New Testament already available, is there a need for yet another? There is a need for the New Testament Recovery Version because there is a progressive recovery of truth among God’s children. The truth has been revealed gradually throughout the ages, and in each age the level of revelation has affected the understanding of the Bible as well as the translation of the Bible. Every translation necessarily bears the understanding of its translators. In bringing the ancient text into a modern language, the translators must first understand the original in terms of the original and, in many cases, interpret the original. Every translation, then, is the record of the translators’ understanding of the original text. After 70 years of Bible study, we too have an understanding of the ancient text. In many places our understanding depends upon and corresponds to what has been handed down to us through the ages, but we must admit that we have seen things that not all today see. Our understanding of the truth, then, compels us to render the text according to what the Lord has shown us. Every major Bible translation group understands this principle.

Translation Methodology:
The Recovery Version conforms to a particular philosophy of Bible translation which is admittedly not in vogue today. Every translation of the Bible embodies a philosophy about what the Bible is, about the relation of its writers to God, and even about God Himself. The trend today is away from a more literal rendering of the ancient text toward a more literary one; newer translations seek to make the Bible easy to read and understand. But while we do not aim for obscurity, we contend that the deep things of God are not simple for human language, that the mind of Christ is not shallow or easily explained, and that the content of the Bible comes not merely through our renderings but by the Spirit through spiritual words. Our view about Bible translation reflects Paul’s words to the Corinthians concerning the ministry in general: "Which things also we speak, not in words taught by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual things with spiritual words" (1 Cor. 2:13). Our words, our translation, must be with spiritual words, else the Spirit, we maintain, has no way nor any responsibility to bear the spiritual things of the Bible to our readers. We admit that translation of this sort is sometimes not the easiest to read or comprehend, but we are compelled to sacrifice easy reading for deeper truth. Though we are for the casual reading of the Bible, we maintain that the Bible is to be studied carefully, and we so translate it, attempting to leave in our work the fine points expressed in the original.

The Recovery Version embodies a multitude of decisions on the original form of the Greek text. Every major translation of the New Testament follows for the most part the accepted edition of the Greek text of its day, but no translation is expected to accept every decision of the Greek editions. Translators must grapple with the manuscript question to their own satisfaction. While the Recovery Version follows the Nestle-Aland 26th edition for the most part, it has departed here and there based on the study and consideration of the manuscripts by its translators. Thus, the Greek text underlying the Recovery Version is unique, even if it is quite close to the accepted scholastic edition of the day.

Study Aids:
The New Testament Recovery Version has several critical components which no other versions can offer: extensive footnotes stressing the revelation of the truth, the spiritual light, and the supply of life; in-depth outlines of each book expressing the spiritual meaning in each book; and cross references leading not only to verses with similar language but also to portions with related spiritual revelation. These components could not be attached to any existing versions because the language of the older versions is too archaic for our purposes and the copyright restraints of the newer versions prohibit our employing them in such a way. Thus, from the linguistic and legal perspectives we need our own text of the New Testament to which we can attach these components.

The Importance of Translation:
The translation of the Bible is one of the greatest endeavors that Christians can set themselves to do, not only into languages that lack a proper translation of the Scriptures, but even into languages that already possess a number of good translations. Such an endeavor, far from evidencing a desire simply "to be different" or indicating disdain for what others have previously done, manifests a seriousness in Bible study and a love for God’s Word that befits all believers. As disciples of the Lord, we should diligently study the Bible to the greatest degree possible, depending on what gifts God has graciously given us. If we are able to, we should even go so far as to translate the Scriptures on our own to better understand the text and to better apprehend the light in God’s Word. If God has enabled us to delve into His Word this deeply, we do well to labor on His Word to this extent, for in translating from the original languages of the Bible, we so immerse ourselves in the text that we can only better perceive what the Spirit of God is saying to us in His Word. The Bible is the only book that deserves to be translated again and again, and each new translation affords the believers better access to the truth in His Word. In properly translating the Bible, we do not diminish its worth or impact; rather, we glorify the Word of God and thus its Supreme Author.

The Historical Validation of Translation

In the Old Testament:
The impetus for translating the Bible is almost as old as the Bible itself. In even as early a time as that of Nehemiah, translation of the Scriptures became necessary for the people of God, and the Bible itself records that Ezra the scribe, with many assistants, "read in the book, in the law of God, interpreting and giving the sense, so that [the people] understood the reading" (Neh. 8:8). We know that part of this "interpreting and giving the sense" was rendering the words of Scripture from Hebrew into Aramaic, the language of the returned exiles; hence, the Bible itself validates its need for translation.

In the New Testament:
Later, after the Old Testament canon had been written and the Jews had dispersed throughout the Mediterranean lands, the first complete translation of the Hebrew Scriptures was executed by Jewish scholars in Greek between the mid-third and late second century BC. For the most part, Old Testament quotations contained in the New Testament are drawn from this translation, called the Septuagint, and by this again the Bible validates the need for its own translation.

May the Lord bless each of its readers!

Get your FREE Bible @ Bibles for America - Distributing Free Study Bibles Across America

janetupnorth said:
On the note of translations, I had a Sunday School teacher in college that would ONLY read straight from his Hebrew or Greek Bible.
I have a couple friends that are that way with the Greek. My only hesitation there, is that they spend so much time examining each word individually, they begin to miss the context of what is being said. Does that make sense?

jrstephens said:
I only take the KJV to church. I have a Life Application and a NIV at home but mainly read the KJV. I use the other two when I need to better understand something. But when I am reading my Bible or doing any type of study I read the KJV. I do not think I have ever read any other translation.

My preacher does his preaching and teaching out of the KJV and I feel there i no way to "be on the same page with him" if you have a different translation to follow along with.

There are two key verses I alway check anytime I buy any Bible. To make sure they have the virgin birth and that anyone can be saved. I do not have them with me, they are written in my Bible at home. I will post them from home.

That's funny b/c that's how I went from the NIV to the NKJV! I was tired of trying to keep up with the wording while reading along at church.

I have so many bibles!! And so does my son! I like the Amplified and I like my message bible that is a parallel bible with NIV in one colum and the message in the other! I have KJV, NKJV, study bibles, Mothers Devotion bible, and 3-4 more that I don't even know their version!
I love my bibles!!!:love: :love:
I will often look to KJV to see as close to the original as possible, but I like to look at the translations because sometimes that really helps me get a deeper meaning or helps me see a passage in the bible that I've read many times, but I'll see it in a new light. That helps me see how God's Word talks to me at whatever stage of my Christian Walk with God! Oooh I think I need to go sit down with a couple of my bibles and just meditate on The Word!:angel: :thumbup:

It's nice to know that there are so many of us with the same spiritual goal! What an awesome God we have!

micocina said:
It's nice to know that there are so many of us with the same spiritual goal! What an awesome God we have!

I was just thinking that! I love being part of something that was founded on Christian principles, operates on Christian principles, and has SO many Christains associated with and representing it. I just LOVE how God works!!!

Here is an excellent, and unbiased article about Bible translations (even if you aren't Catholic):
Bible Translations Guide

The last line in the article was my favorite. "So, which Bible is the best? Perhaps the best answer is this: The one you’ll read."

Christ Follower said:
I have a couple friends that are that way with the Greek. My only hesitation there, is that they spend so much time examining each word individually, they begin to miss the context of what is being said. Does that make sense?
When I was in college - that very topic was always a discussion starter. I still love to study the Hebrew & Greek - especially with a "sticky" passage and when I will be teaching on a specific passage, but for my own personal devotional time, I prefer a version where I can understand the thought and the context more easily.To address another sentence in another post about reading the KJV because it is the original. This is a common misconception. There were many translations before the KJV. The KJV was just the first translation that was widely available to the masses. That fact does not make it the most accurate - in fact, when compared with the original texts, there are some glaring discrepancies in the KJV. I am not saying that the KJV cannot be useful or hasn't been used by God - it DID get His Word into the hands of people who had not been able to read it for themselves.
BUT, it does bother me to have the idea that it is the original text/version, and therefore the standard by which to judge all other texts, perpetuated - when that is simply not the truth.
(None of the writers used by God spoke King James English, hee hee!)
And here is a bit of trivia that most people don't know: You will notice that the KJV is widely used in other books/magazine articles, etc.....Well, this is not because it is the best version, but because it is the cheapest! All other versions have a copyright on them from the publishers.....but the KJV is public domain, and therefore free to use in quotes.

Last edited:
I started with the NIV and now have several more bibles. They are all wonderful.

I'm with those who have umpteen million Bibles. Growing up my grandparents bought us a KJV Thompson Chain Reference Bible when we were old enough to care for it and understand it. I have worn that one out! Got it for my 10th Birthday I think and used it until I was almost 30. I still have it on my shelf though! I always loved reading the archaeological summaries in the appendix of it and it had great reference. For everyday use, I carry a parallel Bible with KJV/NIV. I also have Scofield Bibles at home for study, NIV, Living Bible, NKJV and NAS. I have my grandma's old Bible with notes in it from studies and many other things... I also have a library of umpteen million Christian books and Bible studies. Well, only about 200 books there - my mom has about 1000 so I don't want my collection too big. I have so many textbooks from engineering school still that my basement is a mini-library, music room/office. The best thing to do is not leave them on the shelf. God's word comes alive when read and when you ask him to reveal it to you, so use it.

Shawnna said:
I only use the KJV...because it is the original translation and I believe that when you keep translating over and over eventually parts are missing and it gets taken out of context.

The KJV is not the original translation. It's just the first translation from the Greek that was put into what used to be modern English and backed by King James. The translation is very easily misunderstood by modern day American English speakers for that and other reasons. (ETA: Becky, I just went back and saw your comments on KJV--great condensed summary :thumbup: Are you fluent in Greek and Hebrew?)

My personal favorite would be the original Biblical languages--the Greek and Hebrew text (ETA: actually, in all honesty, there's no such thing as "the original" G & H text since older copies wore out even by the 3rd/4th centuries AD and were replaced with newer hand-written copies, but there's still so much to glean from reading in the original language or having a trustworthy translater on hand), but that doesn't help someone who can't read in the original languages. :D In English I probably lean toward the NIV, but we have a wide variety of translations. My family tends to look at a lot of different English translations and then pick the passage that was translated closest to the original Greek. It's not always in the same Bible. It's kind of funny, but when a new translation comes out I've witnessed my family getting together and discussing its similarity to the original text (Greek/Hebrew) and what liberties were taken and why. It's a fascinating discussion. From what I understand, English translations do go back to the Greek text to translate into better English, but there are still some things that just can't be translated due to cultural and historical misunderstandings. (And everyone wonders why I became an academic librarian. ROFL! :D)

I imagine, though, that we all feel very privileged to have such resources (and such selection) at our fingertips when a large portion of the world does not have anything at all. :(

Last edited:
Ok...so I think that I have made my decision, I think that I am going to go with the NIV Life Application Bible...I haven't bought it yet, my mom bought her's at Sam's Club but it is not the Life Application Bible so I am going to look and see if they have one their...if not our local Christian Bookstore is having a big sale next month so I am going to get one then...thank you so much everyone for all of your suggestions.

Hey everyone. I was reading all the suggestions you gave in this thread, but for someone who has never really read the bible, where would you start? I was looking on bible gateway but its all a little overwhelming. Would you just start from the beginning, or is there a particular section to read first? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

My opinion is that your best bet would be to start in the New Testament. I would send you to John first. You could read Genesis because that is where so many of the children's bible stories come from - Creation, Adam and Eve, Noah, Joseph and the coat of many colors, etc.

chefbritt said:
Hey everyone. I was reading all the suggestions you gave in this thread, but for someone who has never really read the bible, where would you start? I was looking on bible gateway but its all a little overwhelming. Would you just start from the beginning, or is there a particular section to read first? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

You might want to look into joining BSF (Bible Study Fellowship). They have groups meeting all over the world. In our hemisphere, we are studying Matthew.

There seems to be a very diverse group (from those who are new to the bible to those who have been studying for years). This is a non-denominational group. This is my first year to be a part of it and I’m really enjoying digging into the word.

Check out their website to see where the closest class to you is located. http://www.bsfinternational.org/Home/tabid/53/Default.aspx

JAE said:
My opinion is that your best bet would be to start in the New Testament. I would send you to John first. You could read Genesis because that is where so many of the children's bible stories come from - Creation, Adam and Eve, Noah, Joseph and the coat of many colors, etc.
John and Romans too.The Old Testament tells us the history and of God's promise to send a Savior.
The New Testament shows us that promise fulfilled in Jesus and what he did for us on the cross. The New Testament is much more applicable to us today.

Related to Top Bible Suggestions: Find Your Perfect Bible Here!

1. What are the different versions of the Bible available and how do they differ from each other?

The most common versions of the Bible include the King James Version, New International Version, and English Standard Version. Each version has its own unique translation style and language, with some being more literal and others more modern. It's important to consider your personal preference and the purpose for which you will be using the Bible when choosing a version.

2. Can you recommend a Bible for beginners or someone new to Christianity?

The New Living Translation or the Contemporary English Version are both great options for those new to Christianity. They use modern language and are easy to understand, making it easier for beginners to grasp the teachings of the Bible.

3. What is a study Bible and why would someone need one?

A study Bible includes additional resources such as commentary, maps, and study notes to help readers better understand the context and meaning of the text. It can be especially helpful for those looking to deepen their understanding of the Bible or for those studying specific topics or passages.

4. Are there any Bibles specifically designed for children or youth?

Yes, there are Bibles that are designed with a child or youth audience in mind. These Bibles may have simplified language, illustrations, and activities to engage young readers and help them understand the Bible in a fun and interactive way. Some popular options include the Adventure Bible and the Jesus Storybook Bible.

5. What features should I look for when choosing a Bible?

There are a few key features to consider when choosing a Bible. These include the version, translation style, size and format (e.g. compact, large print, study Bible), and any additional resources or features included (e.g. maps, commentary, devotional readings). It's also important to consider your personal preferences and the purpose for which you will be using the Bible.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedCaniac
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • flemings99
  • General Chat
Replies