• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I prevent excessive sweating during a cooking show?

In summary, Sarah was sweating at her second cooking show because of the excitement and constant movement. She was advised to bring a fan and powder with her to help reduce the sweating, and to drink lots of cold water to cool down her core.
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
Didn't know where else to post this question, so thought I'd try it here.

I've had only two cooking shows so far (rest were catalog shows). The first was my Grand Opening, to which only two people showed up. The second was at my Ladies' Bible Study, so I knew everyone there, already. However, at this second one, I was dripping sweat. I wasn't really nervous, but the excitement and constant movement had the adrenaline going, and so the sweat poured.

It didn't bother me too much, as I'm used to it from working out, but I did apologize, then didn't think any more about it. Again, these are all friends. The next week, however, the host brought it up (they were saying how much fun they had, how great the cake turned out, and the subject of whether or not I was nervous came up, and she mentioned how much I was sweating).

Well, in two weeks I'm doing a show for a woman from work who's no more than an acquaintance, really, and I don't know any of her friends. We're doing recipes to avoid turning on the oven, so I won't have to worry about the heat, but the excitement of it all will probably have me sweating again. Other than keeping a towel handy, does anyone have suggestions how I can keep from embarrassing myself, and possibly disgusting everyone else?? I'd hate to have someone turned off from hosting a show because of this!

Looking forward to your answers!

Sarah

Maybe you could bring a small fan with you and have it blowing right on you while you demo etc? It was suggested to me for the shower I did last weekend where there was no air and it was going to be 95-100 degrees. Worked like a charm and I just moved reallllllll close to it when I was talking about something instead of actually using the tools. Also I don't know how old you are but if it applies you could joke about getting 'hot flashes' and needing the fan to be comfortable. Sorry, can't think of anything else.

Sarah, I am SO in the same boat as you. I had a show last week and thought I would die from the heat. I found out the next day that the host almost never uses her oven, and before everyone arrived she lowered her AC unit to cool the house to compensate, but the AC unit had frozen up and stopped working! I thought I was crazy, but was really glad to find out the next day that I wasn't crazy after all. I still sweat at shows more than I should, and I know some of it is the heat (I live in Florida...) but the rest is just the adrenaline, like you said. I used a fan at the bridal shower I did on Saturday, and it really did make a difference. I'm with Jodi on this one...get a fan and see if that helps. :) Good luck!!!

Vagisil makes a really good powder (like baby powder) that absorbs sweat and also has antibacterial products. Thanks to my sweaty German grandmother for sharing her propensity to sweat, I get VERY hot at shows, so before I go to a show, right after my shower I put that powder almost everywhere that I tend to get a little um-humid...then I use Mitchum deoderant- it's the only stuff that works and I dress really cool and hope for the best.

Thankfully my face doesn't sweat- so if you can find face toner with absorbtion properties (the absorption particles settle to the bottom and it has to be shaken to activate) (Lancome makes one) that might help close the pores on your face a little bit and decrease the sweating.

Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas, and for letting me know I'm not alone!!

Have to admit, when I saw the word 'Vagisil,' my first thought was 'umm, I'm not really worried about sweating THERE!' I did continue reading, though, and I think powder, toner, and a fan might do the trick. Hmm, wonder if the IRS will question these as being true business expenses!!

BTW, Jodi - at 43, I guess I could get away with blaming hot flashes. If nothing else works, I'll have to give that a try.

Sarah

Sarah

Have a glass of really cold ice water close by too, and take big drinks of it. That helps cool down your core.

Sometimes just talking yourself out of your nerves helps too. I have been in the biz for a year and a half and still get butterflies the minute I turn onto a hosts road. I am learning to make myself take a few deep breaths and tell myself to relax, That I am about to have a great time and make new friends! It seems to work so that at least by the time I pull into the driveway I have forgotten I was so worked up.

pampchefsarah said:
Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas, and for letting me know I'm not alone!!

Have to admit, when I saw the word 'Vagisil,' my first thought was 'umm, I'm not really worried about sweating THERE!' I did continue reading, though, and I think powder, toner, and a fan might do the trick. Hmm, wonder if the IRS will question these as being true business expenses!!

BTW, Jodi - at 43, I guess I could get away with blaming hot flashes. If nothing else works, I'll have to give that a try.

Sarah

Sarah

Sorry- yeah it's for the entire body- and anywhere else in the feminine region or around the feminine region that you may need it. I put it on my legs after I put my hormone cream on, because the cream makes my legs sticky, and the powder takes care of that. :) LOL

I'm 36 and deal with peri-menopauase...early onset because of a doctor doing something stupid to treat something else that was going on. Didn't mean to scare ya with the vagisil. It's from the maker's of vagisil if that helps! :)

Ice pack on the back of the neck cools down your core fast too.

I was sweating so bad last night, that everyone was worried that I was having a heart attck- i told them no, just my personal Summer Day (Horemones). While I was taking orders, the hostess put an ice-cold washcloth on my neck- that helped a lot.

What is "How Do You Not Sweat It?"

"How Do You Not Sweat It?" is a phrase used by Pampered Chef to promote our products and cooking techniques that make meal prep easier and less stressful.

How can Pampered Chef help me not sweat it in the kitchen?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of high-quality kitchen tools and gadgets that are designed to make cooking and meal prep more efficient. Our products are designed with busy lifestyles in mind, making it easier for you to prepare meals without feeling overwhelmed or stressed.

What are some examples of Pampered Chef products that can help me not sweat it?

Some popular Pampered Chef products that can help you not sweat it in the kitchen include our Quick Cooker, Food Chopper, and Mix N' Chop. These tools are designed to save you time and effort in the kitchen, making meal prep a breeze.

Are there any cooking techniques or tips that can help me not sweat it?

Yes, Pampered Chef also offers cooking techniques and tips that can help you not sweat it in the kitchen. For example, our Quick Cooker recipes and pressure cooking techniques allow you to make delicious meals in a fraction of the time. We also offer tips for meal planning and organizing your kitchen to make cooking less stressful.

Is "How Do You Not Sweat It?" just for experienced cooks?

No, "How Do You Not Sweat It?" is for anyone who wants to make meal prep easier and less stressful. Our products and techniques are designed to help both experienced cooks and beginners alike. We believe that everyone can benefit from using Pampered Chef products in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefashleigh
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Misty Shehan
  • milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies