• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Too Much Corn: How to Freeze Leftover Kernels for Later Use - Tips and Tricks

In summary, Debbie and Paula are discussing how to best use their corn cobs. Debbie suggests cutting the kernels off and freezing them, while Paula recommends freezing the cob and all. Paula also mentions that she never uses as much mayo as called for in the recipe, and that her family loves it fried with a bit of butter or olive oil and salt.
debbie mc
Hi Everyone!

I am hoping someone with more produce experience than I, can help me.
DH & I have recently moved from "the city" to a more rural area and today we hosted a few of our friends for a BBQ so we could all catch up - & so they could see our new place:) Anyway.....we had corn on the cob to go along with the rest of our meal and made WAY too much! So now that we have all these leftover cobs of corn, can I just cut the kernels off and freeze them to be reheated later?

Or, can I simply freeze the corn, cob & all, and when we are ready to have it, thaw the cob & cut the kernels off then? It may sound a little silly to not know, but with so many extra cobs, I need a solution so as to not be wasteful.

TIA for any help you can provide

Cheers,
Debbie

You can do either but you'll have more room in your freezer if you cut it off now. Just freeze it and reheat when you are ready. It's the best in the middle of the winter!

cut it off, freeze it and throw in your soups and stews this winter! I"m jealous!

I forgot to add that I never use as much mayo as called for in the recipe. Adjust it to your taste :)

I usually get 12-14 corn at a time. I do not peel or soak them, i only cut off the two ends so the excess length is gone. I have my husband roast them on the grill.

The extra that we do not eat, i freeze. I use my kernel cutter to cut the corn off, or a chef's knife. I load the corn into freezer bags and freeze it.

In the winter i pull some out and preheat it with some butter and salt and pepper. It is so good. Some mac and cheese and hot dogs and it's worth the effort in the summer.

I wouldn't freeze the whole cobs, they take up too much space.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Whew!

I thought you were talking about my jokes.

That's ok. I was afraid she was going to say she ATE too much corn!:eek:

wadesgirl said:
You can do either but you'll have more room in your freezer if you cut it off now. Just freeze it and reheat when you are ready. It's the best in the middle of the winter!

Wadesgirl - Thank you! I didn't even think about the space the cobs would take up - I'll definitely be cutting the kernels off now instead of later.

chefsteph07 said:
cut it off, freeze it and throw in your soups and stews this winter!

Great idea, chefsteph07 - Thanks!

aalbert said:
This recipe is AMAZING! Instead of canned corn, I use fresh when available. If you try it, I know you will LOOOVE it!!!

Paula Deen's Corn Salad Recipe - Food.com - 230035

Thanks aalbert! My DH's parents are arriving tomorrow for a 2 week visit (it's okay - they really are nice people & I like their company) - so I have kept this recipe to try when they are here:)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Whew!

I thought you were talking about my jokes.

Nah - I like your posts KG :D

esavvymom said:
That's ok. I was afraid she was going to say she ATE too much corn!:eek:

Okay esavvymom - not going there:p:D

My family LOVES it! I hope you enjoy it as well!!! :)

OM! I was with bobbi on this one! Way too funny! It is also great simply fried with a tad bit of butter or olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Add it to corn bread and the soups idea is perfect! But here is a piece of news. I know there are some companies who do freeze it on the cob and you can buy it that way but it gets starchier when it is frozen that way, If you cut it off the cob first then freeze it, it stays less starchy and fresher tasting. And even if you have a good sized freezer, why waste all that space?

1. What can I do with leftover corn on the cob?

If you have leftover corn on the cob, you can cut the kernels off and use them in various dishes like salads, soups, and stir-fries. You can also blend the kernels to make a creamy corn soup or add them to cornbread or muffins for added texture and flavor.

2. How long does cooked corn on the cob last?

Cooked corn on the cob can last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days if stored properly in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap. If you want to keep it longer, you can freeze it for up to 6 months.

3. Can I use canned corn instead of fresh corn on the cob?

Yes, you can use canned corn as a substitute for fresh corn on the cob in most recipes. Just make sure to drain and rinse the canned corn before using it. Keep in mind that canned corn may have a softer texture and less flavor compared to fresh corn.

4. What are some creative ways to use leftover corn on the cob?

Aside from using it in dishes, you can also cut the corn off the cob and use it to make corn salsa, corn fritters, or even a corn and black bean dip. You can also blend it with other ingredients to make a corn and avocado dip or add it to a quiche or casserole.

5. Can I grill leftover corn on the cob?

Yes, you can grill leftover corn on the cob by brushing it with oil and seasoning and placing it on a hot grill for a few minutes on each side. This will give the corn a delicious charred flavor and can be served as a side dish or used in other recipes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
SpiritdancerIA
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • gilliandanielle
  • General Chat
Replies