• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

A Bowl Is Too Deep and Narrow: Sweet Corn Solutions from Pampered Chef

In summary, using a Medium Sheet Pan for cutting sweet corn off the cob is the best way to do it. The corn will be contained and it will be easy to clean up.
raebates
Staff member
It's sweet corn time in Indiana! Yippee! I love the stuff right off the cob. However, The Furry Guy likes his to be cooked and then cut off the cob. Since I love him oodles, I do this for him. However, it's a real pain. A bowl is too deep and narrow. If I use a plate, the kernels roll off.

Last week I made sweet corn, and used the Medium Sheet Pan for the cutting. Perfect! (I also did that tonight, which is when I thought, "I've got to share this with my CS pals!") Whether you use a corn cutter (like I usually do) or a knife to remove the corn from the cob, this pan contains everything nicely.

If I were doing oodles to freeze or can, I'd use the Large Sheet Pan. For the 5-6 ears I did for dinner, this one worked fine. It's also really easy to clean up.

Isn't PC swell? :love:

Great tip - my kids love it on the cob, but when they lose those front top teeth temporarily, this way is nice.

Sur La Table sells a tool to get the corn off the cob. Morfia and I were going to buy it but then the customer service lady really pissed us off for several reasons and we left the store---I think it was out of stock too-- but the tool was really neat and we tried it in the store and it worked wonders!

It's a little hard to gnaw that corn off the cob without front teeth.

Thank you for this...I dehydrate a lot of corn when it is in season. I've tried the idea of placing the cob on the center of an angel food tube pan, but that is a pain, ergonomically speaking.

I used my large grooved cutting board last weekend when I cut the corn off of 150 ears of corn. Too bad I didn't think of my sheet pan. I make freezer cream style corn and it tastes so yummy in the winter time...sweet and buttery!
Deb

When we did our corn, we used the tomato knife to cut it off. Worked perfectly. We were able to zip through those ears of corn without any trouble!

We put up 85 quarts in freezer bags!! That's a lot of corn! Especially since we have been eating it off the cob like it's going out of style! :D

Crystal
I haven't done this in years, but I'm hoping this year I can find a good deal on corn and freeze some in bags..what is the best way to do it? When I was growing up, we did so much of it, with 13 kids in my family that for a long time I didn't want to see another ear of corn to be cut , or another greenbean to be snapped. Now with 5 of my own, I'm thinkin' I better put some in the freezer.
Can you give me step by step?

kreaser said:
Crystal
I haven't done this in years, but I'm hoping this year I can find a good deal on corn and freeze some in bags..what is the best way to do it? When I was growing up, we did so much of it, with 13 kids in my family that for a long time I didn't want to see another ear of corn to be cut , or another greenbean to be snapped. Now with 5 of my own, I'm thinkin' I better put some in the freezer.
Can you give me step by step?

I was just going to ask the same thing!

Here's how I do mine:
36 ears of corn, shucked, silks rinsed off, then cut off with electric knife or serrated knife
Put into Roasting Pan and add-
1 pound melted butter (no substitutes, real butter is the best!)
1 cup sugar
1 Tbl. salt
2 cups half n' half
Bake @ 350 for one hour stirring every 15 or 20 minutes. Pour into large Stainless Steel bowl in the sink as it is sitting in ice water...water in the sink with ice added (hope that doesn't sound stupid, but I wanted to be perfectly clear.)
When it is fairly cooled...warm, just not hot; scoop into freezer bags and chill in fridge. Once it is cold, then place in freezer.
That easy!! It is super good in the winter time. If you google corn recipes, some other good options come up.
Thanks,
Deb

Sounds pretty good and I HATE corn! I grew up allergic and hated the smell growing up. Was testing for food allergies again several years ago and no food allergies were know but still don't like corn! Though, love popcorn and corn chips, etc. Still allergic to EVERYTHING else under the sun though!

Another tip I heard and it was from Rachel Ray was to put a smaller bowl upside down in a much larger bowl and then put the ear on the smaller bowl and cut away, the kernals fall into the larger bowl. I tried it and it seemed to work, I'll keep your idea in mind too.

Thanks

zmom58 said:
Here's how I do mine:
36 ears of corn, shucked, silks rinsed off, then cut off with electric knife or serrated knife
Put into Roasting Pan and add-
1 pound melted butter (no substitutes, real butter is the best!)
1 cup sugar
1 Tbl. salt
2 cups half n' half
Bake @ 350 for one hour stirring every 15 or 20 minutes. Pour into large Stainless Steel bowl in the sink as it is sitting in ice water...water in the sink with ice added (hope that doesn't sound stupid, but I wanted to be perfectly clear.)
When it is fairly cooled...warm, just not hot; scoop into freezer bags and chill in fridge. Once it is cold, then place in freezer.
That easy!! It is super good in the winter time. If you google corn recipes, some other good options come up.
Thanks,
Deb

This may be a stupid question, but do you cook the ears of corn first?

We don't do any creamed corn, just straight sweet corn.

We remove the husks & silks, then cut off any bad spots. Blanch the corn in boiling water for about 7 minutes. Then let cool so that you can hold the corn. Just run your knife down the cob into a bowl or pan (sheet pan). Scoop it out into freezer bags (quart size works best for our family) then put it in the freezer.

When it's time to use it, defrost it & then make it yummy! :)

Shawna,
That's not a stupid question at all. No, you cut it off of the raw ears of corn. Then when it bakes that is what cooks it. Hope you can give it a try.
Deb

I was watching Iron Chef last night and they were using the mandeline to strip the corn off the cob. Cool.

You can do that with the Ultimate Slice and Grate. But, the Ultimate Mandolin requires the use of the food holder. Fresh corn won't fit.Tip: If you're using the USG without the holder, wear a filleting glove. They'll protect your hands. You can find them in most sporting goods stores.

I used to eat corn all the time but when I got my braces I hated the kernels in my braces so I would cut it off. I still do even though my braces have been off for 15 years. Guess old habits die hard. My hubby makes fun of me each time we eat it.

I roast corn off the cob to make a wonderful southwestern roasted corn chowder. It is a great use of the sheet pan! Plus it really really kicks up the corn flavor if you toast the spices with it ( I use ground cumin, ground corriander and ancho chile powder) with some of the infused garlic oil. Makes a rockin' chowder! I put it under the broiler for 5-6 minutes until it is pretty toasty. I think it would be really good mixed in with the new white chili in the fall Season's best...

Stephanie,
That sounds super yummy! We had a recipe that saute'd the corn last fall or it is in one of our cookbooks, it makes it nice and sweet and almost caramel-ly. Super!
Deb

Humble Beginnings said:
Another tip I heard and it was from Rachel Ray was to put a smaller bowl upside down in a much larger bowl and then put the ear on the smaller bowl and cut away, the kernals fall into the larger bowl. I tried it and it seemed to work, I'll keep your idea in mind too.

I used the Small Square SA bowl upside down - there's a little rim on the bottom that keeps the cob from sliding off the bottome of the upside down bowl! :cool:

1. What is the purpose of the "A Bowl Is Too Deep and Narrow: Sweet Corn Solutions from Pampered Chef" cookbook?

The purpose of this cookbook is to provide delicious and creative recipes that incorporate sweet corn as the main ingredient. It also includes helpful tips and techniques for cooking with sweet corn.

2. Can I use this cookbook if I have dietary restrictions?

Yes, this cookbook includes a variety of recipes that cater to different dietary needs such as vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free options.

3. Do I need to have Pampered Chef products to make these recipes?

No, while some recipes may suggest specific Pampered Chef products, they can easily be substituted with similar tools you may already have in your kitchen.

4. Are the recipes in this cookbook suitable for beginners?

Yes, this cookbook includes a mix of simple and more complex recipes, but all are easy to follow and suitable for beginners.

5. Can I find nutritional information for the recipes in this cookbook?

Yes, each recipe includes a list of ingredients and nutritional information per serving, making it easier for you to make informed decisions about your meals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • kdbarkitchen
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • ivykeep
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies