• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips on Washing the Pastry Mat?

In summary, the pastry mat is great for rolling out dough, but can be a bit messy to clean. Some tips for cleaning it without making a mess are to wash it with a slightly damp, soapy cloth while it's on the counter, then rinse it quickly in the sink. Cutting out circles for tartlets makes the dough stick a bit, so it's good to use a slightly damp, soapy dishcloth. When it's time to dry it, I lay it across the center of my sink and run hot water over it, then wash it with a soapy rag.
Michelle817
Silver Member
I absolutely love using the pastry mat, but loathe cleaning it. I normally end up with me and/or the counter/sink area wet. I've honestly thought of washing it in the bath tub, but haven't tried it yet. A lot of times I'll wash it with a soapy sponge while it's laying flat on the counter, but it's the rinsing that gets to me!

Have you guys found any good tips for washing it without making a huge mess? Thanks!

Like you, I wash it with a slightly damp, soapy dish cloth while it's on the counter. I then rinse it quickly in the sink, then drape it over other dishes in the drying rack.

What are you making on the mat that gets it so messy? I use mine for rolling out dough. The only thing on it is flour and bits of dough and those wipe off easily with a damp cloth.

I found that cutting out the circles for the tartlets made the dough stick a bit. Not much, but enough that I felt better using a slightly damp, soapy dishcloth. Plus, sometimes I use it under one of the cooling racks while I drizzle stuff on cookies, muffins, etc.

I lay mine across the center peice of my sink and run hot water over it. Then I wash it with a soapy rag. I half way dry it and lay it over a kitchen chair to dry all the way.

myinnerchef said:
What are you making on the mat that gets it so messy? I use mine for rolling out dough. The only thing on it is flour and bits of dough and those wipe off easily with a damp cloth.

Things like homemade rolls, biscuits, and occasionally Play-doh. :)

I lay it on the top rack of my dishwasher

Didn't think of Play-Doh. Great idea.

raebates said:
Didn't think of Play-Doh. Great idea.

That's when you sell 2 to your customer. One for the kids and one for the baker!

Playdough... great idea.

How about the bath tub and the clothes line? I really do hang mine on the clothes line when I need to dry it. Or now that it is winter the folding clothes rack.

pamperedharriet said:
That's when you sell 2 to your customer. One for the kids and one for the baker!

Sell them 3. The third one is for their desk. My DH had to have one for his desk at work - he says it makes a great writing surface.

Also, be sure to tell people to NOT cut on it. I know that's in the use & care but I did cut something and it seemed fine. Then the next time I washed it and bent it I saw the cuts. Still works perfectly but now it's got those cuts...

What is the best way to clean the pastry mat?

The best way to clean the pastry mat is to hand wash it with warm soapy water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive scrubbers as they can damage the mat. Rinse the mat thoroughly and let it air dry before storing.

Can I put the pastry mat in the dishwasher?

Yes, the pastry mat is dishwasher safe. However, make sure to place it on the top rack and use a gentle cycle with low heat. High heat can warp or melt the mat.

How do I remove tough stains from the pastry mat?

If there are tough stains on the pastry mat, you can create a paste using baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the stained area and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing with a soft sponge. Rinse and dry the mat as usual.

Is it safe to use a sharp knife on the pastry mat?

Yes, the pastry mat is designed to be used with sharp knives without damaging the surface. However, avoid cutting directly on the measurement markings to prevent them from fading over time.

How often should I clean the pastry mat?

It is recommended to clean the pastry mat after each use to prevent any buildup of food particles or bacteria. However, if you are using the mat for non-sticky items, such as rolling out dough, you can clean it every few uses.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kam
  • esavvymom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Deb Bixler
  • jrstephens