• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Do People Choose Old Contacts Over New Ones?

In summary, the customer service consultant at the copy shop was rude when she told the customer that she had found someone else to order through. The customer was likely offended and would not likely return to the copy shop.
cwinter474
Gold Member
I'm sure this has happened to all of us, but it really irritates me.

I was at my copy shop, one I go to when I only need one or two copies, but they know me by face if not by name. So I was in there making a copy of a invitation for a trifle bowl party that I came up with, they all were ohhing and making a fuss over the recipe on the invite and asked me if I sold PC. I said yes, she said good because she was needing a mini muffin pan and a few other things. So I gave her all my of my contact info and asked if she had seen a new catalog. She said no, but would love to, So the next day I brought in 3 catalogs, the HWC flyer, you know the regular stuff. They were all excited when I came in, hit me with alot of questions.

So about 3days later. I went in saw the catalog on the counter, with a few notes posted on it. So I was thinking GREAT more than one order. I waited until they weren't busy and asked if they were ready to place their orders. This is what I was told "Oh, I found the number for the lady I used to use and just ordered thru her, didn't think you'd mind"... I must have just stared at her for a moment, then I heard "Do you want your catalogs back?"

Why do people do this???? I wouldn't have minded leaving them a few catalogs, but I wish that they had said up front that they had someone else they use.

OK, I feel better. Thanks for listening.

Wow! What a way to lift you and drop you! Even if they were going to order through the other consultant they shouldn't have told you. After all the effort you put into getting your things there and all...Wow

When they asked if you wanted the catalogs back, I would have said, "After all the customer service effort I put in to get you the information you needed, if you were going to order from someone else and give them the income, could you please pass them on to someone you know is going to order from me?"Seriously, I probably wouldn't do that, but the thought would be tempting.Sorry that happened to you, I've had that happen too. People don't understand that they are hurting you personally. Some just don't get sales and commission.

R-u-d-e
:(

I think you should find a new copy center to take your business to as well.

Actually, that happened to me the other day. I sent out my monthly newletter and got a response from a previous host asking me to drop off a catalog. Well, I did and followed up (probably later than I should have) a few weeks later. The lady said "uh..I'm sorry, one of the ladies at my daughter's school started up and I just placed the order thru her to help her out". My immediate response was "oh, no worries, I just wanted to make sure you were taken care of". I think she appreciated that because she told me there were a few other things she wanted and might want to order (from me) over the summer. She also said she will keep an eye out for my emails and would like to see a new catalog in September. I figure that if I'm gracious enough, she'll remember me next time, and that's all I can ask...

Jackie - I think you are right. I had a past host that I've been trying to get on the phone in person to book another show, she'd said she'd have another with me.Well, I left message after message and couldn't get ahold of her.I finally ran into her at DD's school and she just had a show 5/3 WITH ANOTHER CONSULTANT! Well, I know this consultant is "nice" but has a VERY pushy side to her. So to my past host, I said no problem, next time. She promised a show with me in the fall.You bet I'm going to keep in touch until then!!!!

Yeah, the same thing's happened to me. My response is usually, "Feel free to keep the catalogs or pass them along. Satisfied customers are our only real advertising." I figure a smile and friendly attitude are the best way to ensure that they'll eventually turn to me for their PC needs.

Thanks for the input. I do feel better, knowing I'm not alone.

It took me a few moments to respond to her, I did tell her, no that was fine to keep the catalogs and to let me know if there was anything I could do for her. I didn't tell her to pass the catalogs on because I was afraid she'd pass the other consultants name along as well. She told me she would just leave them out maybe a customer would pick them up. That is fine.

I do believe I will find a differant copy shop.

I was just so stung, I mean I had been in and spoke to them and answered questions twice. How could they, why would they order from someone else??

I just don't understand some people..

cwinter474 said:
I was just so stung, I mean I had been in and spoke to them and answered questions twice. How could they, why would they order from someone else??
That could be as simple as the other consultant was their first consultant and they felt a loyalty to her/him.

My instinct is the same as Linda's. Find a new copy shop.

Something like this just happened to me last Thursday. My husband and I were hanging out with the neighbors when one mentioned that the other was having a PC party the next night. The lady hosting the show said that she didn't think that I still sold it so she didn't book from me. Are you kidding me? Do you not see my PC flag in the front yard, the signs on my car, or the apparel I constantly wear? Not to mention the invites to my open house that I have 3-4 times a year (one was just a month ago)??? Some people!

I think I would continue to use the copy shop and kind of nose around as to how the pushy consultant did without actually asking and certainly not comment regarding her in anyway...if she WAS pushy, perhaps the guests/host didn't care for her after all...kill 'em with kindness...and, if you only make a few copies now and again, it isn't like they will go broke if you leave...don't put YOURSELF out...be nice and friendly and see what happens...just my 2 cents...you never know...

I would probably find a new copy shop and then kindly let the manager of the old one know why I left (business ethics of an employee). As a business person, he/she would probably get it...even if he felt naturally inclined to defend his employee. (I don't say this to get her in trouble, but I honestly wouldn't want to do business there anymore. I value fair play over almost any other business ethic.)

Last edited:
dannyzmom said:

I couldn't have said it better. Mean people suck :mad:

HA I agree with you Linda
pamperedlinda said:
I think you should find a new copy center to take your business to as well.

Soooo sorry this happened to you...it just stinks.

You know I think that is one of the things that bothered me the most. The copy shop is a small family owned shop. Only 4 employees. The owner is the one that originally wanted to purchase the muffin pan.

I have always tried to support the small family business in our town, My husband and I used to own a video rental store. She knew this as well because it was right across the street from her. I know how easy it is to be put out of business by the big guys like Blockbusters. Her fear the Kinko's that just moved in.

I do think I will be going else where to make my copies. I was just so surprised by her behavior. I would not be comfortable there. They do have my contact info, should they need me.

cwinter474 said:
This is what I was told "Oh, I found the number for the lady I used to use and just ordered thru her, didn't think you'd mind"... I must have just stared at her for a moment, then I heard "Do you want your catalogs back?"

/QUOTE]

Find a new shop and go back to the first one and say, "Oh, I found the number of a copy shop that I used to use. I am now taking my business to them...hope you don't mind?" :D :D

cwinter474 said:
This is what I was told "Oh, I found the number for the lady I used to use and just ordered thru her, didn't think you'd mind"... I must have just stared at her for a moment, then I heard "Do you want your catalogs back?"

Find a new shop and go back to the first one and say, "Oh, I found the number of a copy shop that I used to use. I am now taking my business to them...hope you don't mind?" :D :D

I like the way you all think... Lisa, you rock!

Bless and release---and find another copy shop. Life is too short.

Kattyschack said:
Something like this just happened to me last Thursday. My husband and I were hanging out with the neighbors when one mentioned that the other was having a PC party the next night. The lady hosting the show said that she didn't think that I still sold it so she didn't book from me. Are you kidding me? Do you not see my PC flag in the front yard, the signs on my car, or the apparel I constantly wear? Not to mention the invites to my open house that I have 3-4 times a year (one was just a month ago)??? Some people!

not to hijack the thread, but I think this is a load of baloney. I think your neighbors knew you still sold PC and just didn't want to say anything to you about using a different consultant. If you were hanging out with them, why wouldn't they invite you to the show if they thought you didn't sell it anymore? I bet it slipped out that there was a PC show in your neighborhood and they were probably hoping you wouldn't find out about it. Now, not sure what to do in that situation, but I just don't think the excuse of "we didn't know you still sold it" was a valid one. They should have been honest with you and said "well, my good friend also sells PC and I promised to have a show with her", or sister or cousin, or whatever the situation is, rather than lie about it. Just my opinion though.

Well how about a little salt in my wound????

Guess who called me today?
The consultant they placed the order thru!!! She thanked me for taking care of the girls at the copy shop, said she had been meaning to check on them but just never got around to it. And if there was ever anything I needed just to give her a call...... like that is ever going to happen

You would have been proud of me, I didn't let her know how annoyed I was, I told her no problem, happy to help and let me know if I could help her as well.

I did ask if they placed a decent size order, she told me "oh, yes, I was able to turn it into a catalog show".....great, just what I wanted to hear

Bless and Release............ bless and release.........bless and release

I'm trying!!!!

Sounds to me she was trying to rub it in a little. SOME PEOPLE!

1. What is the purpose of "This Makes Me so Mad....(Vent)"?

The purpose of "This Makes Me so Mad....(Vent)" is to provide a space for individuals to express their frustrations and vent about things that make them angry.

2. Is this a place to seek advice or just vent?

This is primarily a place to vent and express your frustrations. However, if you are seeking advice, you can mention it in your post and other members may offer their opinions and support.

3. Can I share my personal experiences and stories here?

Yes, you are welcome to share your personal experiences and stories as long as they align with the purpose of the group and do not violate any community guidelines.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in "This Makes Me so Mad....(Vent)"?

Yes, we have a few rules in place to maintain a respectful and supportive community. These include refraining from using hate speech, personal attacks, and promoting violence. Please read the group's guidelines before posting.

5. How can I support others who have vented their frustrations?

You can show support by offering words of encouragement, sharing similar experiences, and providing helpful advice if requested. It's also important to listen and validate their feelings without judgment. Remember to be respectful and kind in your responses.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • pamperedpals
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • ShelbyMichalek
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies