• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

This Happened to Us Toady, but When I Looked on Googled the Number, I

In summary, someone called my husband today and tried to scam them. They were from a different company than the printers my husband works for and the scammer was persistent. My husband is smart
jwpamp
This happened to us toady, but when I looked on Googled the number, I found this....please be aware that this is happening nationwide. It just happened to us today!

From the Google for 732-866-4091:

Today someone tried to scam my husband and I. We received a phone call from a New Jersey Number..
(732)866-4091. They claimed they were calling for us to purchase a extended warranty on our Trailblazer. They were wrong about the year of our Trailblazer and when my husband corrected him he said..Oh well, I see they made a mistake on that so, I will update it in our computer. They knew my husbands name and what kind of vehicle he drove. That's creepy but, if you have any connection to the DMV you can get a hold of that kind of information. The guy was very persistent and when my husband told him..We have a extended warranty..He says..well, this is only for the price of $2,187 which we can do over the phone right now. The warranty will be good until your blazer reaches a 100,000 miles and you cant beat that price. My husband then asked for his name and they guy went right over him and said. This is a one time offer only! My husband said. NO! I'm not interested. The guy hung up on him. It was really weird and about a half hour later My husband says that was really fishy. Why would anyone offer a warranty for 2,187 and for up to a 100,000 miles. So, I called the number back that was on my caller ID and sure enough, It was disconnected. That quick it was disconnected. I now have my Cop/Sheriff/Detective Friend in NJ checking the number to see who was the person the number belonged to before it was just disconnected and file a report. I also filed a report with our police department and also, the better business bureau. We also made all of our credit cards and our bank aware of it. Just wanted everyone to be aware and watch out!

Ends up that the scammers are using a device that can change the caller id "called from" number....the number is now "disconnected" and can't be traced....

WATCH OUT!!

Wow, it is amazing that people are that dishonest. But today we gotta be careful about EVERYTHING!!! thanks for the heads up, and glad that you didn't fall for it!!

Thanks for sharing. Isn't it sad that we have to watch our backs so much, and be scared to trust people?

Yikes! People are NUTS!

I pity the poor scammer if he calls our house - we NEVER buy extended warranties - ha ha!

ScamPlease be aware of this scam. We have a friend who is a police officer who passed this on.
When you pay with a credit card that person who took your card can take a picture with their cell phone of your credit card and then they can charge up to the sky before you know what happens.:( :(

It's too bad that w have such dishonest people in this world. I am trying to raise my boys to be good and honest people but I sometimes think what it might be like when they get my age. Thanks for the heads up about scams. I just can't believe that people want to hurt other people. I guess I still want to live in a save and peaceful world.

Sometimes I curse caller id and call waiting (especially when I'm making calls to potential hosts, etc.!), but I do use it to my advantage to avoid cold callers. If it's not a number/name I recognize, I let it go to voice mail. If it's important enough and legit, they'll leave a message. Then I'll make the decision to call back!

Mary

My husband recieves calls at his job all the time from people saying they are with the company their printers are made from. To update their records they will need him to give the serial number, etc, of the printers. Well, dh is on to the scheme so he has fun with it. He says, "sure, the printers are across the room so can you hold on for just a minute?" Then he will lay the phone down for a good 10 minutes. When he comes back, if they are still there, he will tell them a name of a printer that is only used in Japan and try to give a fake serial number. When they ask him to repeat the name of the printer he will say it again and then say, "what? You know these printers. You are from the company that makes them aren't you?" Usually they will make a few sounds and then hang up on him.
I love that man.

Thanks for the headsup that these things happen at home too. :)

That is so funny! I used to managae a office and I did the same thing. I would say sure and give them a bogus number. The scarrey thing about these idiots is that not everyone is up on their game. If they were to call my mother in law she would fall for any trap. A few years ago I got a phone call and the operator said will you accept a collect call from -she stated my husbands name. Well, my husband was home. I told her no that he was in the house with me. They hung up. I *69 the number and it was a local number. I am not sure what they were up to. I called the police and reported it.

I have heard of some device that when they dial out they # and name can be what ever they want it to be, That was on our local news a few months ago.....Always going to be something in this world. Thanks for sharing all that information with us

We don't buy waranties, either.

Thanks for the head's up! I always feel so gullible when I hear this kind of thing because I wonder what I would do, and don't like the answer...

I was thinking of investing in a blow horn like they use at ball games!:rolleyes:

What is "This Happened to Us Today, but When I Looked on Google the Number"?

"This Happened to Us Today, but When I Looked on Google the Number" is a common phrase used to describe a situation in which someone received a suspicious or unwanted phone call from an unknown or unfamiliar number. It is often used when the caller claims to be from a well-known company or organization, but the person receiving the call is skeptical and decides to research the number on Google.

Why do people Google phone numbers that call them?

People Google phone numbers that call them because it allows them to quickly and easily find information about the number and determine if it is legitimate or a potential scam. This can help them decide whether or not to answer the call or block the number.

What types of numbers are typically Googled?

Numbers that are typically Googled include unknown or unfamiliar numbers, toll-free numbers, international numbers, and numbers from telemarketers or potential scammers. People may also Google numbers if they receive repeated missed calls from the same number or if the caller leaves a suspicious voicemail.

What information can be found by Googling a phone number?

The information that can be found by Googling a phone number may vary, but it can include the name of the company or organization associated with the number, the location of the number, and any reports or reviews from other individuals who have received calls from the same number. It may also reveal if the number has been reported as a scam or spam number.

What should I do if I receive a call from a number that has been Googled and appears to be a scam?

If you receive a call from a number that has been Googled and appears to be a scam, it is best to hang up and block the number. You can also report the number to the Federal Trade Commission or the Better Business Bureau. It is important to never give out personal information or send money to someone who calls from a suspicious number.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
amyv
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • AJPratt
  • General Chat