• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

There Is Not Iodine in Sea Salt

In summary, the sea salt does not contain iodine, but the label says it may be produced in a place that produces nuts and shellfish, so people with a relative allergic to shellfish should still avoid it.
chefshawna
Gold Member
I just got an answer from HO about the sea salt and they say it does NOT contain iodine. :chef:

nope, sure isn't.

No, but the label does say made in a place that may produce nuts and shellfish so that relative allergic to shellfish should probably still avoid it.

Thank you for the info!

Thanks! THat's great to know!

Call me slow.... I never would have read the label. I am highly allergic to shellfish and carry an eppy pen with me at all times. Never would I have thought to worry about sea salt. Eek!! :yuck:

I only looked at the label last night at the cluster meeting because there had been the thread asking about it and the person posting said her relative was allergic to shellfish so I figured...bottle in hand, let me see if I can help with the answer.

I will have to tell her about the shellfish. Her major reaction was to iodine though, so she may be able to eat it. At least we all know the answer now for our customers! I seem to have customers ask off the wall questions that I can't answer all the time! LOL

Jenni said:
Call me slow.... I never would have read the label. I am highly allergic to shellfish and carry an eppy pen with me at all times. Never would I have thought to worry about sea salt. Eek!! :yuck:

Wow, great to know! I am not sure if I am allergic, but my Gram definitely is! Figures I have already opened it nad put it in my grinder. EEK!

Due to the treatment I have up coming, I am becoming really familiar with Iodine! Sea Salt is on the DO NOT use list because it has naturally occuring Iodine! Just because the label doesn't list it as having been "added" doesn't mean there isn't Iodine in it! I consulted with my Dr who went over the list of what I can have vs what I can't have, and there are a lot of things, ie Fish and Dairy Products, that I can't have because they naturally have Iodine in them.

What is iodine and why is it important?

Iodine is a chemical element that is essential for the production of thyroid hormones, which regulate metabolism, growth, and development. It is important for maintaining a healthy thyroid gland and preventing thyroid-related disorders.

Is there iodine in sea salt?

No, sea salt does not naturally contain iodine. Iodine is a water-soluble mineral that is mainly found in seawater, but it is not present in significant amounts in sea salt.

Why is there no iodine in sea salt?

Sea salt is formed by evaporating seawater, which does contain iodine. However, during the evaporation process, the iodine evaporates along with the water, leaving behind pure salt without any iodine content.

Do I need to supplement iodine if I use sea salt?

If you regularly use sea salt as your main source of salt, it is recommended to supplement your diet with iodine, either through iodized table salt or other iodine-rich foods such as seafood, dairy, and eggs.

Are there other sources of iodine besides iodized salt?

Yes, besides iodized salt, other sources of iodine include seafood, dairy products, eggs, and some fruits and vegetables. You can also take iodine supplements if needed, but it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any supplement regimen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefshawna
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pjpamchef
  • mspibb
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Poll