• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Iodine Present in the New Sea Salt Mix?

Yes, her allergies are a major problem, but they are manageable. thanks for your support!Was wondering about that, since she had the reaction during a medical test. Hope and pray that all turns out well! Hated to ask. Prayers and thoughts with you and your sister.
chefshawna
Gold Member
My sister is allergic to Iodine and I was wondering if anyone knew whether their is iodine in the new salt mix? I have tried to google to find an answer and find conflicting answers. Do I need to e-mail HO and ask this or did they say?

I had to ask about whether or not the Greek Rub had glutens and HO was able to answer me. And it was a quick response too!

Thanks, I will e-mail them and let you all know the answer.

I just sent it, so we'll see how long they take to answer! I hope it will be some time tomorrow.

I to am allergic to Iodine, just curious is your sister allergic to shell fish as well? I have also just learned (after a allergic reaction) that most calcium supplements are from shell fish and contain Iodine. Sucks, I also have to be really careful when we eat out, I can't order like catfish if it is fried in the same oil that they fry shrimp or crabs. Nice to know someone out there like me.

My fateher in law buys this pink salt at some ungodly price. When I told him about ours he wanted to know if it's air dried... any idea?

cwinter474 said:
I to am allergic to Iodine, just curious is your sister allergic to shell fish as well? I have also just learned (after a allergic reaction) that most calcium supplements are from shell fish and contain Iodine. Sucks, I also have to be really careful when we eat out, I can't order like catfish if it is fried in the same oil that they fry shrimp or crabs. Nice to know someone out there like me.

Yes, she is allergic to shell fish also. She had a horrible reaction to CT scan dye that contained iodine and that is when she found out she was allergic. She had an anaphylactic shock and flat lined, so she has to be really careful!

In my limited experience, when salt does NOT contain iodine, they say so on the label.

Please let us know what HO says so we can pass the knowledge to our customers!

buckeyefan08 said:
My father in law buys this pink salt at some ungodly price. When I told him about ours he wanted to know if it's air dried... any idea?

The PIG pages for the new products will probably be up on CC sometime in August. It might say on there.

chefshawna said:
Yes, she is allergic to shell fish also. She had a horrible reaction to CT scan dye that contained iodine and that is when she found out she was allergic. She had an anaphylactic shock and flat lined, so she has to be really careful!

CRAZY isn't it! I also am allergic to Betadine that they clean wounds with and Hebaclens that they use as well. Red swelling blisters. Found this out from visit to the ob/gyn she did a in office procedure used betadine, I was swollen by the time I got home. Called the office, they said oh you'll be a little sore and swollen, next day was covered in blisters, had to wear a dress, no underware and either stand or sit with legs spread. Went to her office and they were SHOCKED and began treatment at once.

And now, to complicate things even further, I've developed a reaction to Benadryl.

Hope your sister really careful, her reactions sound life threatening

chefshawna said:
My sister is allergic to Iodine and I was wondering if anyone knew whether their is iodine in the new salt mix? I have tried to google to find an answer and find conflicting answers. Do I need to e-mail HO and ask this or did they say?

Not totally sure about the Iodine, but if you read the label its says its made in a plant that uses dairy,shellfish etc....HTH

Man we all fallin' apart....with our allergies. :) I know there serious, please don't anyone be offended....not my intent.

Kathie's Kitchen said:
Man we all fallin' apart....with our allergies. :) I know there serious, please don't anyone be offended....not my intent.

Your so funny!

Shame this board has become over run by very sensitive people allergic to some peoples post....

I am thinking of creating a signiture that has a offense clause with a apology attached.

Well, with my sister her allergies are the least of her medical problems!!

cwinter474 said:
Your so funny!

Shame this board has become over run by very sensitive people allergic to some peoples post....

I am thinking of creating a signiture that has a offense clause with a apology attached.
*giggle* See mine, although it's mostly funny. :)

chefshawna said:
Well, with my sister her allergies are the least of her medical problems!!

Was wondering about that, since she had the reaction during a medical test. Hope and pray that all turns out well! Hated to ask. Prayers and thoughts with you and her.

cwinter474 said:
Your so funny!

I have my fair share of allergies and the medical bills to pay for it. :D I truly is a shame that so many of us have so many allergies to so many different things.

chefann said:
*giggle* See mine, although it's mostly funny. :)

LOVE IT ANN!!!!

permission to copy????

Sure. :)
I got most of mine from KG before he changed parts of his.

cwinter474 said:
Was wondering about that, since she had the reaction during a medical test. Hope and pray that all turns out well! Hated to ask. Prayers and thoughts with you and her.

Thanks, this was a while ago and many, many problems ago. She kind of has bad luck with health! The funny thing about the CT though was it came back perfectly fine!

I had a Total Thyroidectomy on the 17th and just found out I will have to go on a Low Iodine Diet for two weeks, before some tests. The list of what I cannot eat is endless!! I am looking for suggestions, I can't imagine being on this for a lifetime!!

1. What is iodine and why is it important in sea salt?

Iodine is a mineral that is essential for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland. Sea salt naturally contains small amounts of iodine, which is important for maintaining a healthy metabolism and preventing iodine deficiency.

2. How does the iodine content in new sea salt differ from traditional sea salt?

New sea salt typically undergoes a more thorough refining process, which removes more impurities and can result in lower levels of naturally occurring iodine. However, many brands of new sea salt now add iodine back into their products to ensure an adequate amount.

3. Is there a recommended daily intake of iodine from sea salt?

The recommended daily intake of iodine varies depending on age and health status, but generally ranges from 150-290 micrograms for adults. The amount of iodine in sea salt is typically small and should not be relied upon as a main source of this nutrient.

4. Can too much iodine from sea salt be harmful?

Yes, consuming excessive amounts of iodine can have negative effects on the thyroid gland and cause other health issues. It is important to monitor your overall iodine intake from all sources, including sea salt, and not exceed the recommended daily intake.

5. How can I tell if the sea salt I am using contains iodine?

Many brands of sea salt now label their products as "iodized" to indicate that they have added iodine. If you are unsure, you can check the nutrition label for the amount of iodine per serving or look for a statement on the packaging indicating the iodine content.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefshawna
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pjpamchef
  • byrd1956
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies