• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Managing Calcium Deficiency: The Impact of Iodine Allergy on Bone Health

In summary, Amanda is allergic to iodine, has been for years, and recently found out that she has a calcium deficiency. Her doctor has called with hives, swelling, and itchies, and she is also allergic to shellfish. She recommends milk, cheese, and nondairy foods as good choices for people with calcium allergies.
cwinter474
Gold Member
Some of you know that I have been having an issue with my teeth and bones do to a calcium deficiency. Well, guess what? I am allergic to Iodine, have been for years. Do you know that iodine in found in shell fish? I did. DO you know that alot of your calcium product both over the counter and prescription come from shell fish?

I didn't but, believe me I do NOW, doctors office just called me back about my hives, swelling and itchies. Iodine = Shell Fish = Calcium

Gee Whiz, what's next?

cwinter474 said:
Some of you know that I have been having an issue with my teeth and bones do to a calcium deficiency. Well, guess what? I am allergic to Iodine, have been for years. Do you know that iodine in found in shell fish? I did. DO you know that alot of your calcium product both over the counter and prescription come from shell fish?

I didn't but, believe me I do NOW, doctors office just called me back about my hives, swelling and itchies. Iodine = Shell Fish = Calcium

Gee Whiz, what's next?

WOW! So Sorry for you, guess you better stick to milk...;) You know what...I think I remember hearing something about Rolaids having alot of Calcium...lets check for Iodine!

Me too... lots of foods have calcium. Broccoli and oranges to start

Oranges - Yummy

Broccoli - YEAK

Anyone other foods? thanks in advance for you help.

Plain Yogurt & Buffalo Milk Cottage Cheese are REALLY high in Calcium!!

In addition to choosing foods from the following list, you should learn to look at food labels and choose foods that have a high % DV for calcium and at least 20% or more. You may find big differences in the calcium content of foods, even among different brands of the same foods such as cheese, juice, and bread.
Yogurt, plain
Yogurt, fruit
Milk, low fat or nonfat
Milk, whole
Cheese, including American, ricotta, cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese
Milk shakes
Eggnog

Nondairy Foods with Calcium
Getting enough calcium can be a especially hard if your kids are allergic to milk. These nondairy foods can be good choices for kids with milk allergies who need calcium:
Salmon
Tofu
Rhubarb
Sardines
Collard greens
Spinach
Turnip greens
Okra
White beans
Baked beans
Broccoli
Peas
Brussel sprouts
Sesame seeds
Bok choy
Almonds

Calcium-fortified Foods
In addition to the large number of calcium rich foods that are naturally found, like milk and cheese, a lot of foods are now fortified with calcium. These can be especially good choices if your child doesn't like to drink milk.
Calcium-fortified breakfast cereal, including General Mills Whole Grain Total, Total Raisin Bran, Total Cranberry Crunch, and Total Honey Clusters, all of which have 100% DV of calcium per serving!
Calcium-fortified orange juice
Calcium-fortified soy milk
SunnyD with Calcium (most SunnyD products don't have calcium, so look for the one that does if your child needs extra calcium in his diet)
Instant oatmeal
Calcium-fortified bread or English muffins
Calcium-fortified drink mixes such as Pediasure or Carnation Instant Breakfast
Other calcium-fortified breakfast cereals, including General Mills Golden Grahams (350 mg)

These exerpts were taken from Calcium Rich Foods

Hope this helps. If not, google "Calcium rich foods" and you'll get pages of info!!

THANKS Amanda!

Why don't I ever think to go to google? I always come here for answers. This has been really hard for me to get used to looking for food high is calcium, my daughter has Hypercalcuria, meaning that her body over produces calcium, she has VERY strong bones and teeth, but she also get calcium kidney stones without her medicine. We found this out when she was 3yrs old. Her first stone was the size of an almond and had to be surgerically removed. Anyways, she is only allowed 8oz of calcium a day. Our house is crazy, I am really becoming a short order cook.

If you are looking for info about Iodine, google THYCA. Or LID (low Iodine diet). Anyone who is going thru Thyroid cancer treatment has to be on this diet for at least 2 weeks. There is even a cookbook!! I downloaded it onto my computer, and just printed out the pages I was interested in.

Just look for supplements that are stamped "100% Vegetarian." Then there shouldn't be any seafood in them.

Thanks for the great ideas!

I'm off to "google" again NOW

1. What are the benefits of iodine and calcium for our bodies?

Iodine is essential for thyroid health and proper hormone regulation, while calcium is necessary for strong bones and teeth. Both minerals also play a role in nerve and muscle function.

2. How much iodine and calcium do we need on a daily basis?

The recommended daily intake for iodine is 150 micrograms for adults, and 1,000 milligrams for calcium. However, these amounts may vary depending on age, gender, and individual health needs.

3. What are some food sources of iodine and calcium?

Iodine can be found in seaweed, seafood, dairy products, and iodized salt. Calcium can be found in dairy products, leafy greens, legumes, and fortified foods such as orange juice and cereal.

4. Can we get enough iodine and calcium from our diets alone?

It is possible to get enough iodine and calcium from a well-balanced diet, but some individuals may need to supplement with vitamins or minerals if they have certain health conditions or dietary restrictions.

5. Are there any risks associated with consuming too much iodine or calcium?

Consuming too much iodine can lead to thyroid dysfunction, while consuming excessive amounts of calcium can lead to kidney stones and other health issues. It is important to follow recommended daily intake guidelines and consult with a healthcare professional before taking supplements.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jill092375
Replies
Views
aPamperedBride
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva