• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Allergy Miseries: Tips and Advice from Nurses

In summary, Kacey is allergic to everything and is miserable this year. She has been using Nasonex and Clarinex to try to control her symptoms, but her eyes are still itchy and dry and she cannot take steriods. She has also tried a salt water flush and Allerest eye drop.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
I know we don't have any doctor's on this thread, but I'm hoping some of the nurses on here will chime in.

I suffer from allergies- grass, trees, pollen, ragweed, mold, goldenrod, smoke, wind, dirt, leaf, flower, dandelion, cat, dog, bush, rocks...you get the pitcure. (if I get a pet as a baby I become immune to just that pet, which is why we are able to have pets)

Anyway I've been absolutely miserable this year. I started taking Zyrtec which has worked really well in minimizing the amount of time I spend blowing my nose. I'd say that the runny nose issues have improved about 75%

However the dry, severely itchy and overly reactive eyes are causing more misery than I feel a human can tolerate.

I normally have a bad time with my eyes for about 6 weeks each spring, and it ends by May. Now we are well into June and nothing is working on my eyes.

I've tried several OTC drops, other allergy meds, and benadryl as a last resort because it makes me so very tired.

Another issue I have is because of my hormonal imbalance I cannot take steriods so my options are limited. As it is, the allergy meds are affecting the potency levels of my hormone therapy and I know this because I'm not feeling like I normally do, so I know they are interfering with how much my body is absorbing.

Do you have any suggestions? I was up almost all night last night, rubbing my poor, raw eyes, splashing them with cold water, putting in lubricating drops, taking meds...you name it.

I can't go to the doctor right now because of expenses, and I was wondering if anyone else is as miserable as I am, and how you are dealing with it, and is there something I can do that I'm not doing to ease the stinging, itching and pain?

TIA

Hi Kacey - I feel your pain.
I, too, am allergic to everything out there. When I went to the allergist to be tested, my arm swelled up like poison ivy when she did the prick tests.

Anyway. Right now I take Nasonex (two squirts in each nostril before bed) and either Clarinex D every dat at noon or Allegra D every day at noon.

If I blow off my regimen (which I have been known to do when I am not symptomatic), I end up getting sick (like I am right now).

Nasonex is a prescription med but you can probably get it online at one of those online pharmacies. It burns my throat at first but helps tremendously.

Oh - and Renu recently came out with an eye drop OTC called Allerest or something like that.

Feel better!!!

dannyzmom said:
Hi Kacey - I feel your pain.
I, too, am allergic to everything out there. When I went to the allergist to be tested, my arm swelled up like poison ivy when she did the prick tests.

Anyway. Right now I take Nasonex (two squirts in each nostril before bed) and either Clarinex D every dat at noon or Allegra D every day at noon.

If I blow off my regimen (which I have been known to do when I am not symptomatic), I end up getting sick (like I am right now).

Nasonex is a prescription med but you can probably get it online at one of those online pharmacies. It burns my throat at first but helps tremendously.Oh - and Renu recently came out with an eye drop OTC called Allerest or something like that.
Feel better!!!

As long as nasonex doesn't have steriods in it, I'm good to go. I can't have anything with steriods in it anymore.

And, I'll try that eyedrop. I've tried 5 others with no relief, so I'm willing to try a 6th.

I had the prick test on my back- they did abot 100 pricks and I had severe reactions to over 30 of them. This year just seems to be particularly bad.

If you've taken Zyrtec for a few years now, try switching to Claritin or another med. Like with headache medications your body builds up a tolerance to it!Flonase works great, if used early...but I'm sure you can't take that.I also try to buy honey from the area and eat a lot of that to build up my resistance to the local pollens. After doing that for two years, it seems to have helped, I'm doing great this spring!!!!Also, have you tried a salt water flush for your sinuses before bed. It doesn't help a ton for me, but it does help a little!

I have fall allergies, anything after the beginning of August is my bad time, but I am also feeling the spring allergies this year..I do not have the itchy eyes, but my stepson does and he has been taking claritin and it's helped wonders.
I am not sure if Nasonex has steroids in it or not, but if it is otc, prob not. I'd call a pharmacist at your local drug store and talk to them about what they recommend.

Oh, and if you can take the D-versions Kacey, do that. DH can, I can't due to a reaction to the pseudoephedrine. For DH plain versions do not help only the D. But after a few years on one type of med, a switch usually has to happen!

janetupnorth said:
If you've taken Zyrtec for a few years now, try switching to Claritin or another med. Like with headache medications your body builds up a tolerance to it!

Flonase works great, if used early...but I'm sure you can't take that.

I also try to buy honey from the area and eat a lot of that to build up my resistance to the local pollens. After doing that for two years, it seems to have helped, I'm doing great this spring!!!!

Also, have you tried a salt water flush for your sinuses before bed. It doesn't help a ton for me, but it does help a little!
I can't take Claritin, and just started taking Zyrtec last month. I cannot take flonase because of the steriods in it.
I do eat local honey but maybe not enough. :) LOL
And how do I flush my sinuses with salt water? I have a bottle of OCEAN that I use when I have a cold, is that the same thing?

I normally do switch off my meds because I do build up a tolerance, but I'm running out of meds! :) LOL

chefsteph07 said:
I have fall allergies, anything after the beginning of August is my bad time, but I am also feeling the spring allergies this year..I do not have the itchy eyes, but my stepson does and he has been taking claritin and it's helped wonders.
I am not sure if Nasonex has steroids in it or not, but if it is otc, prob not. I'd call a pharmacist at your local drug store and talk to them about what they recommend.

That's a good idea. Thanks, Steph!

I'm actually missing my niece's graduation party today because of the allergies. DH just left on his motorcycle to go... :( It's in Wisconsin and a 2 hour bike ride would have been fun, but being on the bike is worse because it's blowing into my eyes.

Yes, I agree, often pharmacists are better than the docs knowing the meds.I use Sinucleanse...don't know if that is the same thing as Ocean, haven't heard of that.Good luck and I hope you get some relief!!!!

Kitchen Diva said:
I'm actually missing my niece's graduation party today because of the allergies. DH just left on his motorcycle to go... :( It's in Wisconsin and a 2 hour bike ride would have been fun, but being on the bike is worse because it's blowing into my eyes.

Awww....you would have been 1/2 way to my house. ;)

They live in Cumberland, WI.

Steph, I have fall allergies, too. The crud from the lakes comes up and drives my nose and eyes bonkers. It wouldn't be so bad, but our entire state has over 12,000 lakes!

I know this is extreme...but my alergies are GONE...after I had kids...Dr said hormones sometimes change after having kids...17 years allergy free!

MY DH uses Nasonex...he's allergy free too!

the best way to flush your sinuses is a neti pot. It really does help. I try to do it several times a day if I am really bad, I use it when I am traveling too because my sinuses get so dry and yucky. I am right there with you though, I forgot to take my allegra yesterday so I am a sneezy, drippy, itchy mess today.

Kitchen Diva said:
They live in Cumberland, WI.

Steph, I have fall allergies, too. The crud from the lakes comes up and drives my nose and eyes bonkers. It wouldn't be so bad, but our entire state has over 12,000 lakes!

So do you not normally have problems at this time of year? That's my problem right now, I've been sick for 2 weeks w/ allergies and bronchitis (possibly seasonal asthma I've been told) and I ONLY have issues in the fall when the weather turns colder. I have probs w/ ragweed, but like I said, I don't have the itchy eyes.

ShanaSmith said:
the best way to flush your sinuses is a neti pot. It really does help. I try to do it several times a day if I am really bad, I use it when I am traveling too because my sinuses get so dry and yucky. I am right there with you though, I forgot to take my allegra yesterday so I am a sneezy, drippy, itchy mess today.

my fall allergies are the worst and this is when I break out the sinus flusher....made by SinuMed, found it at WalGreen's, it is a large bottle that you add warm water and a little salt packet to and blow that mixture up into your nose....sounds gross...it is but it works! I do it morning and nighttime and take my Claritin and pray!

I hear you. I have had a rough time this year. I usually can control my allergies with just 2 shots each year. I took my spring shot about 2 weeks ago and it didn't work. I have the itchy eyes and throat, sneezing, everything. I woke up last saturday with an earache, headache and my chest was hurting. Took OC medication till Monday. My daughter had surgery Tuesday, so I knew I had to go to the doctor Monday. So, doctor says 2 extremely bad ear infections. He asked me if I had been taking allergy medication I said yes, and he said sometimes it causes fluid build-up in your ears...when you lay down it runs into your ears. So, now I have Amoxicillon (875 mg 3 times a day), a cough suppressant, Mucinex...the regular one is best he says...and Rhinocort Aqua Nasal Spray, which has steroids. My head is so stopped up. When I talk, to me it sounds like I am in a barrel. I hear everything else normally...not like a barrel...but I have some hearing loss due to the fluid. I have had no energy. Yesterday I was sick to my stomach. My DH and I leave Thursday morning on a cruise to Cozumel...hope I get to feeling better. Everyone I know is having severe allergy problems this year.

Teenage DS has bad allergies ( as does his dad~ but I could careless about his allergies) and DS takes Zyrtec and Flonase. I have been blessed to not have those nasty outside allergies, other then peanuts and poison ivy. DS is allergic to cats and smoke also, that is why I know he will never smoke cigs or get high, he would be miserable and I would know in an instant. I agree and would call your pharamcist, they have a wealth of knowledge :) I'm so sorry you are miserable, that must be no fun at all :(

Kitchen2u said:
I know this is extreme...but my alergies are GONE...after I had kids...Dr said hormones sometimes change after having kids...17 years allergy free!

MY DH uses Nasonex...he's allergy free too!
I've been trying for almost 12 years to have kids! For whatever reason I've not been successful so far, so that's a little out of my league- at least for immediate relief! :) LOL

I have been miserable for the last week and a half. Luckily the seasonal asthma has held off so far. My 3yr old has the exact same symptoms. I am now 90% convinced he has seasonal alergies too. Bummer... Mine did not show up till I was a teenager and my allergies got WORSE after kids!

Kacey ~ having kids and getting rid of allergies is not common...I just happened to be a lucky one.

Shawnna said:
I hear you. I have had a rough time this year. I usually can control my allergies with just 2 shots each year. I took my spring shot about 2 weeks ago and it didn't work. I have the itchy eyes and throat, sneezing, everything. I woke up last saturday with an earache, headache and my chest was hurting. Took OC medication till Monday. My daughter had surgery Tuesday, so I knew I had to go to the doctor Monday. So, doctor says 2 extremely bad ear infections. He asked me if I had been taking allergy medication I said yes, and he said sometimes it causes fluid build-up in your ears...when you lay down it runs into your ears. So, now I have Amoxicillon (875 mg 3 times a day), a cough suppressant, Mucinex...the regular one is best he says...and Rhinocort Aqua Nasal Spray, which has steroids. My head is so stopped up. When I talk, to me it sounds like I am in a barrel. I hear everything else normally...not like a barrel...but I have some hearing loss due to the fluid. I have had no energy. Yesterday I was sick to my stomach. My DH and I leave Thursday morning on a cruise to Cozumel...hope I get to feeling better. Everyone I know is having severe allergy problems this year.

You poor thing! I will pray for you and here's to getting better to enjoy your cruise! Thankfully I'm not that bad- but I do feel like I might just rub the skin off my eyelids.

I feel terrible for you- go get some rest. How is your daughter's throat doing?

Kitchen2u said:
Kacey ~ having kids and getting rid of allergies is not common...I just happened to be a lucky one.
I'd rather get rid of allergies and have kids then have allergies and no kids. :)

I feel ya! My allergies are terrible! I am even allergic to dirt! No kidding. I take Zyrtec & Singulair, Astelin nasal spray & Elestat eyedrops. All prescription except Zyrtec is otc now. When things are really bad, I include some Benadryl to my drug ****tail. Then I go into a coma & don't wake until the next morning. I hope you find some relief soon.

Allergies have been bad this year - my 13 yr old son has terrible seasonal ones and a strong allergy to cats. This year has been the worst - too many days of extreme cold then heat and back to cold doesn't help either. He had bronchitis back in March and since April has been taking Claritin daily, Singulair, and Nasonex - his doctor said to take them until the middle of June to get through the toughest part of all the new blooming taking place. He's been much better since being on these drugs - and will continue for at least another week (we're going on vacation and don't need new allergens to give him problems!) Hope you get some relief and soon!:)

stacywhitlow said:
I feel ya! My allergies are terrible! I am even allergic to dirt! No kidding. I take Zyrtec & Singulair, Astelin nasal spray & Elestat eyedrops. All prescription except Zyrtec is otc now. When things are really bad, I include some Benadryl to my drug ****tail. Then I go into a coma & don't wake until the next morning. I hope you find some relief soon.

That's what I dislike the most about all of this is that I get drugged off my toosh and want to sleep all day- it makes DH cranky because I just want to take a 12 hour nap! :cry:

Gina M said:
Allergies have been bad this year - my 13 yr old son has terrible seasonal ones and a strong allergy to cats. This year has been the worst - too many days of extreme cold then heat and back to cold doesn't help either. He had bronchitis back in March and since April has been taking Claritin daily, Singulair, and Nasonex - his doctor said to take them until the middle of June to get through the toughest part of all the new blooming taking place. He's been much better since being on these drugs - and will continue for at least another week (we're going on vacation and don't need new allergens to give him problems!) Hope you get some relief and soon!:)

I was wondering if the strange start to Spring is what caused the bad allergy season. I'm sorry that your son is so miserable. I think it's worse for kids to be miserable than it is for adults. As long as I keep benadryl in my system I'm alright, but I sure am sleepy!!!!

Kacey,

I definitely think this spring has been way worse than others - I feel for my son - I have some allergies - but I just sneeze a lot in the morning and my eyes are pretty itchy by days end - luckily I don't have to take any medicines.

dannyzmom said:
I'm probably the only person here that read this as Nanosex. :blushing: Jen and I both suffer from hideous hayfever, and combine eye drops, nasal sprays and tablets. Someone I work with swears by eating local (ie. made within 5 miles of home) honey all year round, because it's the same pollen that affects your nose. Someone else I work with just swears at local honey and carries on sneezing.

Kacey,

you might try a warm washcloth compress for your eyes. I have allergies too and that seems to help my eyes a lot,
especially when they are watering and itching so much. The warm washcloth seems to help me better than any of the eye drops I have tried. lately. I take zyrtec and sometimes I switch to alavert.
Both of those are over the counter and work well for me.

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy I will try that tonight. I'm tired of all the benadryl!

pamperedthorpe said:
I'm probably the only person here that read this as Nanosex. :blushing:

Jen and I both suffer from hideous hayfever, and combine eye drops, nasal sprays and tablets. Someone I work with swears by eating local (ie. made within 5 miles of home) honey all year round, because it's the same pollen that affects your nose. Someone else I work with just swears at local honey and carries on sneezing.

That's what I mentioned earlier and yes, you need to ask where it is made and try to find someone close. Many people will keep bees but elsewhere not on their land...or travel for craft fairs and sell it. I buy from a neighbor who keeps his bees on land adjacent to ours. :D

janetupnorth said:
That's what I mentioned earlier and yes, you need to ask where it is made and try to find someone close. Many people will keep bees but elsewhere not on their land...or travel for craft fairs and sell it. I buy from a neighbor who keeps his bees on land adjacent to ours. :D
My dentist sells honey!

Yum! :) I'm due for some more - haven't had some in awhile.With everyone's complaints of what a bad year it is, I'm ABSOLUTELY amazed that I'm doing great!

janetupnorth said:
Yum! :) I'm due for some more - haven't had some in awhile.

With everyone's complaints of what a bad year it is, I'm ABSOLUTELY amazed that I'm doing great!
Would you like to just blow some pollen in my already raw eyes? Geesh woman have some compassion on us! ;) :blushing: :D

Kitchen Diva said:
Would you like to just blow some pollen in my already raw eyes? Geesh woman have some compassion on us! ;) :blushing: :D

I normally am JUST as miserable as you! I'm in total SHOCK right now that I don't have issues.

Don't worry, I'll pay for it in the fall, those are ALWAYS worse for me!

janetupnorth said:
I normally am JUST as miserable as you! I'm in total SHOCK right now that I don't have issues.

Don't worry, I'll pay for it in the fall, those are ALWAYS worse for me!

Oh, well, in that case, I feel better. :p

The last 2 weeks have been awful for allergies!

Last year I took part in an allergy drug study ... I am convinced that they gave me the "real stuff" in the shots because I was fine then ... but now I am miserable every morning!

According to the study people I am only allergic to grass ... but I don't think they tested for mulberries (I have a mulberry tree in my back yard) because that is always a prevalent pollen when I'm sneeziest!

All I can suggest is:

* Take your Zyrtec before you go to bed.

* When you wake up, take Benedryl.

* If you are outside for a big part of the day, wash the pollen out of your hair and off your body before you go to bed!

* See if the Visene Allergy drops irritate your eyes. If so, switch drops. I find that when my eyes are the worst, Natural Tears do the trick!

Di_Can_Cook said:
The last 2 weeks have been awful for allergies!

Last year I took part in an allergy drug study ... I am convinced that they gave me the "real stuff" in the shots because I was fine then ... but now I am miserable every morning!

According to the study people I am only allergic to grass ... but I don't think they tested for mulberries (I have a mulberry tree in my back yard) because that is always a prevalent pollen when I'm sneeziest!

All I can suggest is:

* Take your Zyrtec before you go to bed.

* When you wake up, take Benedryl.

* If you are outside for a big part of the day, wash the pollen out of your hair and off your body before you go to bed!

* See if the Visene Allergy drops irritate your eyes. If so, switch drops. I find that when my eyes are the worst, Natural Tears do the trick!

Thanks, I take Zyrtec before bed, and Benadryl as needed throughout the day, I do shower before bed, and Visine doesn't help- I have a lubricating eyedrop that does alright, however so far nothing takes any symptom away totally...

I guess I live in a cave.... what is the deal with "honey"?

cwinter474 said:
I guess I live in a cave.... what is the deal with "honey"?

Bees collect pollen for food and then produce honey.

Eating honey that is made by local bees is said to expose your body gradually to the local pollens and build your resistance.

janetupnorth said:
Bees collect pollen for food and then produce honey.

Eating honey that is made by local bees is said to expose your body gradually to the local pollens and build your resistance.

COOL - how much honey a day? Can you cook with honey or should it be used by itself?

I thought I was going to miss allergy season this year, then yesterday I awoke clear drainage just pouring from my nose. It is horriable! Just gross and drippy. My grandson told me I should just stick a kleenex up my nose to catch the snot then replace it when it is soggy..... gross, he is only 4

I don't know if there is a science to how much, just incorporate it in your diet as you can. You can make TONS of things with honey and cook with it!I don't think you'll have IMMEDIATE relief but I think it does help.

You can find some recipes and stuff here:http://www.honey.com/consumers/honeyinfo/default.asp

janetupnorth said:
I don't know if there is a science to how much, just incorporate it in your diet as you can. You can make TONS of things with honey and cook with it!

I don't think you'll have IMMEDIATE relief but I think it does help.

But like Janet said earlier - you have to make sure it's LOCALLY MADE honey.

Janet and Becky thanks for the info. Our vet sells honey that he collects. This is worth a try, thanks also for the website link.

Carol

I have many neighbors and we have a friend that keeps bees so I can always e-mail him more specific questions.

It sounds like Visene is an irritant for your eyes. I know it is for mine.

You don't need to add any artificial chemicals to "get the red out." Your eyes just need moisture ... and you need to do your best not to rub them and make them worse. Get the same "natural tears" that people with contacts use to moisten their lenses, or a VERY GENTLE drop.

thanks for asking about my daughter. She is doing well. Thursday she had a really bad day...2 days after surgery...but yesterday and today she is doing great. She was up before me this morning and had already fixed her breakfast. I have kept her in with no visitors and no talking on the phone but I am going to let her go to church tomorrow...barring not problems during the night. We have been really blessed. Tuesday she was aweful...but she had her surgery that day, Wed she felt really good, Thursday she wanted to sleep all day and not eat...had to make her eat and drink...and Friday and Saturday were great. The doctor said the 7-10th days were when we really needed to watch for bleeding. She will be going to my SIL Wed night because my DH and I are leaving extremely early in the morning on Thurs. to catch our flight. Thursday will be day 9...I am praying all is well. By the time I get back the next Monday night she will be able to resume normal activity. She goes back to the doctor Wednesday afternoon for her first pre-op check-up. Please keep her in your prayers.

Sorry to highjack your thread.

Shawnna said:
thanks for asking about my daughter. She is doing well. Thursday she had a really bad day...2 days after surgery...but yesterday and today she is doing great. She was up before me this morning and had already fixed her breakfast. I have kept her in with no visitors and no talking on the phone but I am going to let her go to church tomorrow...barring not problems during the night. We have been really blessed. Tuesday she was aweful...but she had her surgery that day, Wed she felt really good, Thursday she wanted to sleep all day and not eat...had to make her eat and drink...and Friday and Saturday were great. The doctor said the 7-10th days were when we really needed to watch for bleeding. She will be going to my SIL Wed night because my DH and I are leaving extremely early in the morning on Thurs. to catch our flight. Thursday will be day 9...I am praying all is well. By the time I get back the next Monday night she will be able to resume normal activity. She goes back to the doctor Wednesday afternoon for her first pre-op check-up. Please keep her in your prayers.

Sorry to highjack your thread.

Hijack away- heck I do it :) I'm glad she is better and will continue to keep her in my prayers! :)

Di_Can_Cook said:
It sounds like Visene is an irritant for your eyes. I know it is for mine.

You don't need to add any artificial chemicals to "get the red out." Your eyes just need moisture ... and you need to do your best not to rub them and make them worse. Get the same "natural tears" that people with contacts use to moisten their lenses, or a VERY GENTLE drop.
That's what is so funny- my eyes aren't red. I bought a visine that is like liquid benadryl, if you read the box- it is a histamine (sp?) blocker for ragweed, pollen, etc for the eyes. Well it offers no relief at all.

Well, my final benadryl of the night should kick in soon and it's off to bed for me! :)

<h2>1. What are some common allergies that people suffer from?</h2><p>Some common allergies that people suffer from include grass, trees, pollen, ragweed, mold, smoke, and animal dander.</p><h2>2. How can I manage my allergy symptoms?</h2><p>You can manage your allergy symptoms by avoiding triggers, taking over-the-counter antihistamines, using nasal sprays, and keeping your home clean and free of allergens.</p><h2>3. What can I do if over-the-counter medications are not working?</h2><p>If over-the-counter medications are not working, you may need to see a doctor for prescription medications or allergy shots. It is important to follow up with your doctor to find the best treatment plan for your specific allergies.</p><h2>4. Can allergies affect hormone levels?</h2><p>Yes, allergies can affect hormone levels. Allergy medications can interfere with the absorption of hormone therapy, so it is important to discuss any potential interactions with your doctor.</p><h2>5. What can I do for severe eye allergy symptoms?</h2><p>If you are experiencing severe eye allergy symptoms, it is best to consult with a doctor. They may prescribe specific eye drops or other medications to help alleviate your symptoms. In the meantime, you can try using cold compresses, avoiding rubbing your eyes, and using lubricating eye drops to help ease the discomfort.</p>

1. What are some common allergies that people suffer from?

Some common allergies that people suffer from include grass, trees, pollen, ragweed, mold, smoke, and animal dander.

2. How can I manage my allergy symptoms?

You can manage your allergy symptoms by avoiding triggers, taking over-the-counter antihistamines, using nasal sprays, and keeping your home clean and free of allergens.

3. What can I do if over-the-counter medications are not working?

If over-the-counter medications are not working, you may need to see a doctor for prescription medications or allergy shots. It is important to follow up with your doctor to find the best treatment plan for your specific allergies.

4. Can allergies affect hormone levels?

Yes, allergies can affect hormone levels. Allergy medications can interfere with the absorption of hormone therapy, so it is important to discuss any potential interactions with your doctor.

5. What can I do for severe eye allergy symptoms?

If you are experiencing severe eye allergy symptoms, it is best to consult with a doctor. They may prescribe specific eye drops or other medications to help alleviate your symptoms. In the meantime, you can try using cold compresses, avoiding rubbing your eyes, and using lubricating eye drops to help ease the discomfort.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies