• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Taking on a PT job with my church: Balancing passion and practicality

In summary, Becky is considering taking on a PT job with her church. She is worried about whether or not she can do the job and whether or not she is looking for advice. She also worries about whether or not she wants to do something that she cannot walk away from.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I'm thinking of taking on a PT job with my church.
A little background - I actually worked FT at my church for about 5 yrs. I was the "Director of Resources and Volunteer Ministries" Meaning I ran the bookstore and ministry volunteers - and taught a variety of classes. Most of my job was administrative though, and I really struggled with that - I am very much a people person, and didn't like being in an office by myself most of the time. My favorite part of my job was actually working with the ministry volunteers and getting to know them.Well, they have restructured the positions at church, and I was just offered a position (they came to me about it) as Director of Systems/Environment. I know - sounds big - my Sr. Pastor likes to make up titles for people!:rolleyes: (He is awesome though!)
What I would be doing is working with the following teams who are grouped together in what we call our "First Impressions" ministries(Oh - I should mention, I attend a large church - about 2000 people):
Greeter Team
Parking Team
Usher Team
Bookstore Team
Cafe TeamA big part of my job would be working with the Team Leaders for each of these teams to provide training, encouragement, and community for these teams.
This opportunity excites me, and I really want to do it - but I am trying to figure out if I can add something more to my life. I am amazed at those of you who juggle so many things - but I don't know if I have the energy level to do it. It would be about 15 hours a week, and mostly, except for some copying, etc.....can be done from home. My heart says "Do it!" but my mind says "Can you do it?"I'm not sure if I am looking for advice or just needing to get it out on paper and see it in print........I told them I would give an answer by Sept 11th (I'm leaving for vacation and will be gone until the 10th).ETA: If you are interested in seeing what my church is like - or what I would be going into (!) check out daybreak.tv: Home

Becky, as much as I love this web site and the advice that we receive you know that we are not the ones that you should be asking. You and I both know that you and God are the only ones who can answer this question for you. I say go with your heart. The Lord talks to our heart. So if your heart says do it then I say do it.

When I got out the the USAF I was thinking that I wanted to be a youth group leader and I was praying about it well I got my answer when my pastor emailed me and asked me if I would pray about being a youth group leader because he wanted me to be one when I got home. I laughed and said well that is my answer so I emailed him immediately to tell him that I would do it.

So that is my peice on it.

chefheidi2003 said:
Becky, as much as I love this web site and the advice that we receive you know that we are not the ones that you should be asking. You and I both know that you and God are the only ones who can answer this question for you. I say go with your heart. The Lord talks to our heart. So if your heart says do it then I say do it.

When I got out the the USAF I was thinking that I wanted to be a youth group leader and I was praying about it well I got my answer when my pastor emailed me and asked me if I would pray about being a youth group leader because he wanted me to be one when I got home. I laughed and said well that is my answer so I emailed him immediately to tell him that I would do it.

So that is my peice on it.

Thanks Heidi!

I was just telling someone else this week who was struggling with a decision that I don't believe that God hides His will from us - and now I'm doing the same thing. I think I'm not so much asking what I am doing as I am just mulling it over........I don't want to go to any of my close friends here- because they all go to Daybreak too.......and I wanted to keep this sorta close until I make a decision.
Another thing that makes this attractive to me is that the woman who would be my Director is a very good friend- and we work so well together, and we never see each other because we are both so busy - and this would be a way we would get to spend time together (she came for lunch the other day to present the idea to me - and stayed until 4pm!) and I don't want that to really be the reason I would do it.

Having worked in ministry myself as well, you and I both know that a PT job at a church is not really part time. Also one thing to think about is how will this change your Sundays? My DH and I do tons of volunteer work at church, mostly in worship, and sometimes it's very difficult to wrangle our schedules and our son on Sunday morning not to mention that we never get to sit and worship together!!!!!

Also keep in mind your goals for PC--didn't your director challenge you to promote? Is that still a goal of yours? How will that work if you work for your church?

Just some things to think about.

DebbieJ said:
Having worked in ministry myself as well, you and I both know that a PT job at a church is not really part time. Also one thing to think about is how will this change your Sundays? My DH and I do tons of volunteer work at church, mostly in worship, and sometimes it's very difficult to wrangle our schedules and our son on Sunday morning not to mention that we never get to sit and worship together!!!!!

Also keep in mind your goals for PC--didn't your director challenge you to promote? Is that still a goal of yours? How will that work if you work for your church?

Just some things to think about.

Deb - those are the EXACT things I am thinking about! That is one of the reasons I quit before - I was single when I started working at church, so it was okay to be there all the time - but after I got married, it was just too much!
DH is a "stage manager" on Sunday mornings - so always sits in the front row with a headset on - and we have 2 services - so I usually sit with him for one service. On Sunday mornings, my role would be more important before 1st service, and in between services. We have greeters at all of the doors to welcome people and direct newcomers to different locations (we get more visitors than an avg. church) and we also have a Parking Team to direct people to different parking areas and help anyone who may need assistance in the Parking Lot. They would be part of my "team".

I will be a Director! I am on that track - and I have had so much confirmation that this is where God wants me to be..........

I have alot of praying to do while on vacation!

I think that it was a very smart idea for you to tell them that you would give them an answer on the day after you come home from vacation. That is the best time to think and pray about stuff like this. Your mind is so much clearer.

If you truly believe God is leading you to that position and put it on your heart, then maybe give it a try. After all, He makes what we need possible. You just have to remember that in the mix of chaos. I believe God has put PC in my life for a number of reasons, but sometimes I find I don't respect that and let my life get to chaotic to find time to work PC.You'll just have to be a little more organized and remember to delegate too. It sounds like it would give joy to your life. Maybe just let them know that you want to do it, but maybe it should be on a trial basis and see if there is the possibility of having someone assist you (making copies, etc).

Yes, I think you're crazy.I would NEVER accept a paid position from a church of which I was a member. I can also tell you, as a (retired) member of a church council, I would NEVER allow a member to receive an offer for a paid position.In fact, we changed our church policy as a result of the great difficulty we had when we had to sack a bad employee. The political ramifications are far larger than you could ever imagine. Never again will my church hire a member.The Kat Lady is the secretary of an urban church. The membership knows we are not members nor will we ever become members. We are all happy with this arrangement.Do what you think is right, but I'd pass.

I did a very similar job at my church and absolutely loved it. I only quit because we moved over an hour away and had 2 middle schoolers (and dh worked over an hour from our home too - long story).

If I was offered that job again I'd take it in a heartbeat now that the kids are all gone off to college - even alongside my PC business.

Go with your heart and pray about it. You will know what to do.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yes, I think you're crazy.

I would NEVER accept a paid position from a church of which I was a member. I can also tell you, as a (retired) member of a church council, I would NEVER allow a member to receive an offer for a paid position.

In fact, we changed our church policy as a result of the great difficulty we had when we had to sack a bad employee. The political ramifications are far larger than you could ever imagine. Never again will my church hire a member.

The Kat Lady is the secretary of an urban church. The membership knows we are not members nor will we ever become members. We are all happy with this arrangement.

Do what you think is right, but I'd pass.

I actually worked for a church where the politics were like that - and I can say that the Elder Board definitely set a tone of discontent at that church. I could hardly wait until my contract was up and I could say "See Ya!"..... so I know where you are coming from with your feelings.

But it's truly not like that at my church. I have been there since 1991, and was a full-time staff member from 1995-2000. And I'm still there and still love my church and the church staff.

ChefBeckyD said:
I actually worked for a church where the politics were like that - and I can say that the Elder Board definitely set a tone of discontent at that church. I could hardly wait until my contract was up and I could say "See Ya!"..... so I know where you are coming from with your feelings.

But it's truly not like that at my church. I have been there since 1991, and was a full-time staff member from 1995-2000. And I'm still there and still love my church and the church staff.
Me too! That's why (well there was more... like, well let's just say I didn't trust the pastor and for good reason.) I was SOOOO glad to get out of there last spring.

Well Becky, I agree with Heidi...see the verses in my signature...

Jeremiah 29:11-13...applies to this too...when you seek Him you will find Him when you seek Him with all your heart.

I'll be praying that you are able to discern what God would have you to do.

9-11 is my anniversary so I won't forget to pray!

I've never worked for a church, so I don't have any input based on that, and I'd like to tell you to follow your heart, but I also think that if we followed our heart on every opportunity that sounds like a calling we'd never say no to anything. So, I'll focus on the business end of things: you need to look at where you're going to get those extra 15 hours each week (or more)? What are you willing to sacrifice, change, etc.? Is your DH willing to help more around the house, etc.... 15 hours may only seem like "part-time" but that's still three hours a day! I'm not saying NOT to do it, but you need to sit down and analyze your schedule (I work 10 hours a week at my part-time job, but it's from 5-7 am so I only sacrifice sleep!)

Related to Taking on a PT job with my church: Balancing passion and practicality

1. What is "I May Be Crazy......."?

"I May Be Crazy......." is a popular cookbook from Pampered Chef, filled with delicious and unique recipes that are perfect for busy individuals and families.

2. Who is the author of "I May Be Crazy......."?

The author of "I May Be Crazy......." is a Pampered Chef consultant who has a passion for cooking and creating easy, yet impressive dishes for any occasion.

3. Are the ingredients for the recipes in "I May Be Crazy......." easy to find?

Yes, the ingredients used in "I May Be Crazy......." are common and can be found at most grocery stores. Many of the recipes also use Pampered Chef products, which can be purchased through a consultant or online.

4. Are the recipes in "I May Be Crazy......." suitable for all dietary restrictions?

While "I May Be Crazy......." does not have a specific focus on dietary restrictions, there are a variety of recipes that can be easily customized to fit different dietary needs. The cookbook also includes tips and substitutions for common allergens.

5. Can I host a Pampered Chef party featuring "I May Be Crazy......."?

Yes, Pampered Chef parties can be themed around "I May Be Crazy......." and include recipe demonstrations and tastings. Contact your local Pampered Chef consultant to schedule a party and share these delicious recipes with your friends and family.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies