• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is it Wrong to Promote My Business in Church Mailslots?

I think it's a joke that someone was offended by your actions and then they don't even have the decency to speak to you about it. I think you should be able to express your feelings to someone at the church...maybe the pastor? In summary, the conversation involved a church member distributing catalogs to ask for referrals to help ramp up their business due to their spouse's unemployment. However, they received an announcement in the church bulletin stating complaints about business solicitations in the mailslots, causing the person to feel humiliated and upset. They also mention that their church does not have a published policy on what can or cannot go in the mailslots. The person is considering finding a new church due
Sounds to me like you're planning the right steps. I'm so glad you have a trusted mentor. That helps; doesn't it?

A great opportunityI read your post and understand your frustration. I have noticed in myself that these very moments that make me so angry are sometimes those that I learn the most even if I dont recognize the opportunity at first.

As I was reading it, I couldn't help but think of what a wonderful opportunity this presented. You could take this chance to talk to people and simply ask for forgiveness. In doing so you could tell them how excited you are about your business and how you did not realize that anyone would be offended. It might offer you a great chance share PC with the people there in this way.

Also, remember most people are worried about themselves and their own situations and don't spend much time thinking about yours! If you can get the names of those directly involved and speak with them one on one, I am certain that you will find peace in this situation. Just remember, blessed are the peacemakers and you CAN make it a positive!:)

So I finally got a hold of one of our elders today.

I explained that I was really hurt by the announcement and felt like it was reprimanding me b/c I had just placed catalogs in mailboxes the week before.

He told me the issue came up in the ministry board meeting last week and that complaints were received but no one person's business was mentioned specifically. He said they felt the best course of action was to do a blanket announcement. They talked about finding out who had done the solicitations and individually calling the "offenders" but didn't want to do that and then have someone else who wasn't called distribute flyers the next week and think it was okay.

I pointed out that the wording of the announcement could have been a bit gentler and friendlier and again reminded him how hurt I was by it.

He apologized. :)

I suggested that we create a business directory for our church and he really liked that idea. So that would give us an avenue for exposure and referrals without having to "solicit."

He did say it was okay to continue to put PC stuff in boxes for people who are already my customers. They just don't want me or anyone to use them to drum up business. Make sense?

So an okay resolution in the end. I can see his POV and I hope he can see mine, too.

I am still undecided about staying there. Time will tell. I am not going anywhere tomorrow, though, cuz we are getting a huge ice storm right now!

Last edited:
I'm glad that this is being resolved for you...or at least explained. It sounds like your discomfort may lead to something good with a directory though. We have to remember that we are all human and it's easy to get riled up or angry/offended quickly without thinking of what the person's intent really was (talking of them not you). We are all guilty of it at times with road rage or impatience with someone, whatever. You never know what is going on in someone's life or how a comment from us can hurt. You've helped remind of all of that. They thought they were doing it the "nice" way. I love that there are a bunch of Christians in here supporting each other. I'm new to the website and love it!!

I'm very glad you at least have an explanation now. You will continue to be in my prayers.

<h2>1. Is it wrong to promote my business in church mailslots?</h2><p>It depends on the policies and preferences of your specific church. Some churches may have rules against any type of business promotion within their walls, while others may be more open to it. It's important to respect the guidelines set by your church and its members.</p><h2>2. Why did I receive complaints about my business solicitation in church mailslots?</h2><p>It's possible that some members of your church may feel uncomfortable or annoyed by receiving business promotions in their mailslots. They may see it as intrusive or inappropriate in a religious setting. It's important to consider the feelings of others and respect their boundaries.</p><h2>3. How can I promote my business in a respectful way within my church?</h2><p>Instead of using the mailslots, try reaching out to your fellow church members in a more personal and direct way. You can attend church events and casually mention your business, or even ask for referrals in a one-on-one conversation. This may be a more appropriate and effective approach.</p><h2>4. Should I be concerned about the church's announcement regarding business solicitations?</h2><p>It's understandable that you may feel embarrassed or frustrated by the public announcement, but try to remember that it was likely made in the interest of maintaining a peaceful and respectful environment within the church. It's important to communicate with church leadership and adhere to any policies they may have in place.</p><h2>5. How can I handle this situation and my feelings of humiliation?</h2><p>First and foremost, try to communicate with the church leadership and address any concerns or misunderstandings they may have about your business promotion. It's also important to take care of your emotional well-being and seek support from friends, family, or a trusted mentor. Remember that this experience does not define you or your business, and try to move forward with a positive attitude.</p>

1. Is it wrong to promote my business in church mailslots?

It depends on the policies and preferences of your specific church. Some churches may have rules against any type of business promotion within their walls, while others may be more open to it. It's important to respect the guidelines set by your church and its members.

2. Why did I receive complaints about my business solicitation in church mailslots?

It's possible that some members of your church may feel uncomfortable or annoyed by receiving business promotions in their mailslots. They may see it as intrusive or inappropriate in a religious setting. It's important to consider the feelings of others and respect their boundaries.

3. How can I promote my business in a respectful way within my church?

Instead of using the mailslots, try reaching out to your fellow church members in a more personal and direct way. You can attend church events and casually mention your business, or even ask for referrals in a one-on-one conversation. This may be a more appropriate and effective approach.

4. Should I be concerned about the church's announcement regarding business solicitations?

It's understandable that you may feel embarrassed or frustrated by the public announcement, but try to remember that it was likely made in the interest of maintaining a peaceful and respectful environment within the church. It's important to communicate with church leadership and adhere to any policies they may have in place.

5. How can I handle this situation and my feelings of humiliation?

First and foremost, try to communicate with the church leadership and address any concerns or misunderstandings they may have about your business promotion. It's also important to take care of your emotional well-being and seek support from friends, family, or a trusted mentor. Remember that this experience does not define you or your business, and try to move forward with a positive attitude.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
nicki25
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies