• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Take on Using Fresh Garilic on Pampered Chef Recipies

In summary, most garlic recipes call for one clove, but many people prefer to add two. Fresh garlic has a different flavor than garlic powder and may require some getting used to. To reduce the intensity of the fresh garlic, one can roast it. People also suggest pressing just one "cell" from the head of garlic instead of using the whole head.
mommyhugz1978
Gold Member
I have only been selling PC for five months so using fresh garlic in recipies is a new thing for me... I usually use garlic powder..... but my question is does anyone else find that the one clove of garlic that most of the recipies call for does anyone find it either doesn't go with the recipie all together or do you find it overpowering???? Everytime I have used it I am finding it way over powering!!!! :(

I am a HUGE garlic fan, so I usually add 2 cloves when a recipe calls for 1 !! LOL
But if you are used to garlic powder, you will definitely notice the fresh garlic more, I think. Don't worry - you'll get used to it! :)

I am a HUGE garlic fan, so I usually add 2 cloves when a recipe calls for 1 !! LOL
But if you are used to garlic powder, you will definitely notice the fresh garlic more, I think. Don't worry - you'll get used to it! :)

I find that it seems to be adequate for the recipe. Powder garlic has a comepletely different taste IMHO.

EDITED TO ADD: Growing up, we always used the powder. Never knew what I was missing until I became a cons.!

Last edited:
I totally agree. I prefer fresh....and LOTS of it! :)

I didn't use fresh either until I became a consultant, but now I prefer it! I think it may take some getting used to, but it's just as easy to do as the powder. Plus fresh garlic is good for you!

You can't really compare fresh garlic and garlic powder - they are two toally different flavors. Personally, when I have a recipe that calls for one clove, I use tow - often the crowd begs me to add more!

I haven't had anyone beg me to use more...... and I dont' use the powder in my PC recipies at my shows........ I use the fresh clove like it calls for... but my question is do you guys find it that it changes the flavor of what your making totaly or what....??

I think it makes the flavor better. I can definitely tell if a dish has garlic or does not. I completely love the garlic taste better!

I never used fresh garlic until I got my garlic press; now I love it! I almost always sell at least one garlic press at each show that I use it. People are amazed that you don't even have to peel it.

I sell at least one at everyshow too...maybe it's my taste buds ... none of the guest have complained about it being to over powering.... my family has...... but they don't count LOL

LOL. One clove? Two cloves? In my household we tend to use half a head of garlic when a clove is called for and a whole head if more than 1 clove is called for. It does taste different and if you are used to the powder it will take a while to adjust. If you were not showcasing the garlic press I'd recommend roasting the garlic and see what you think of that in recipes.

To roast a garlic take a head, cut a little of the top off, put the garlic on a piece of tinfoil, pour a little olive oil over it, seal with the tinfoil, bake in oven at 375 for 1 hour. This is great in recipes or used as a spread on bread, just squeeze the cloves out onto the bread or into a bowl. This would also work great if you did 2-3 heads on the small oval baker & covered it with tinfoil.

I love the taste of fresh garlic but my husband does not like garlic. He has not been complaining as much here lately though.....maybe his taste buds are changing b/c I love using that press at home.

I have used small cloves in some things though if it is a small mixture not not be overpowering.

I can't imagine anyone here thinking a clove or two of fresh garlic was overpowering... we are huge garlic fans. I haven't tried roasting it yet though, thanks for the tip tlen!!

Another vote for garlic fans!! I usually use the amount listed, but I add it to EVERYTHING!!

I LOVE fresh garlic. I tell everyone at my shows in the fall that garlic is great for warding off colds and flus with the upcoming cold season.

Maybe you're thinking that a clove of garlic is the whole bulb. When the recipe calls for a clove of garlic, break off one of the "cells" from the bulb or head of garlic and then press just that one "cell". If you use a whole head of garlic, it will taste overpowering!!

Garlic powder- Yuck!

mommyhugz1978 said:
I have only been selling PC for five months so using fresh garlic in recipes is a new thing for me... I usually use garlic powder..... but my question is does anyone else find that the one clove of garlic that most of the recipes call for does anyone find it either doesn't go with the recipe all together or do you find it overpowering???? Every time I have used it I am finding it way over powering!!!! :(

I love garlic myself also. If the flavor is to strong add the garlic sooner. I guess it would depend on the recipe also, but I read a tip somewhere on here that for weaker flavor add garlic in the beginning for stronger flavor add it at the end.

I have heard that too! If you saute the garlic first, then add everything else you will hardly even notice it!

I'm not really into garlic, myself, so it's been a big adjustment for me. I do feel like it's overpowering, sometimes, but my husband (a HUGE garlic fan) says I'm crazy!

If a recipe doesn't call for garlic, I assume it's a mistake and add several cloves ;)

Seriously... garlic is your friend! We make bagna caulda often, and for that recipe, we start with 15-20 heads of garlic (yes, heads, not cloves!!!) MMMMMM Good stuff :)

What is bagna caulda?

Curently right now I am making the harvest chicken salad at my September shows... I add one clove into the dressing but when I pour the dressing on the salad.... To me when I have ate it seems like it over powers it and I can't taste the salad hardly. if that makes any sense what so ever.

mommyhugz, if you're only using a clove and not the whole head... then I'd have to say that you're just like my parents. They just flat-out do not LIKE the taste of garlic. Even a little bit in a dish is overpowering to them, and they hate it. They would never take us kids to the Olive Garden restaurant because the amount of garlic they use was just disgusting to them... *I* adore it. But maybe you're just not a garlic-liker. It happens!

jennifer.... you speak lies and untruths! it's blasphemy I tell you! not a garlic-liker.... we will help Leah like garlic! garlic is your friend! love the garlic! garlic is good! *giggle*

I agree that garlic is the ambrosia of the gods... but some people don't agree with us. What can we do? And Jenn, I think you're nuts, but I like that about you! :D

nuts? i am not nuts. i am oh-so-sane... we just have to get everyone to join the cult of garlic!

cmdtrgd said:
What is bagna caulda?

Basically, it's a garlic fondue of sorts... garlic (LOTS and LOTS of garlic) in olive oil and butter with some anchovies for flavor (seriously! you don't even know they're in there unless you made it and put them in yourself! lol) You simmer it very low until the garlic is cooked and then you cook meats and veggies in it! MMMMMMMM Serve it with crusty french bread and make sure that EVERYONE you're going to be around for a week is eating it with you ;)

As an herbalist, I always recommend fresh garlic. It's very healthy in more ways than I can count! I use fresh garlic in everything. I love it. But make sure you are using a clove of garlic, not an entire head of garlic. I've had many people not understand the difference.

bagna caulda sounds really good. Any actual amounts or is this one of those things you just have to get a feel for? I'm certain my husband would love this and we occasionally do fondue on Saturday nights while watching tv together.

Bagna Calda

large jug of olive oil (51 oz is what I used)
1 pound of butter
1 can anchovies
15-20 heads of garlic (yes, full heads of garlic!)

large shrimp
scallops
chicken breast
steak
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Mushrooms
Carrots
Brussel Sprouts
Baby Red Potatoes
Baby Corn
Artichoke Hearts (packed in water)
Crusty French Bread (the best bet is to get it at a local bakery rather than the grocery)

In a large electric skillet, combine olive oil and butter, turn heat on low (200-250) let that melt together while you prepare the anchovies and garlic.

Cut up the anchovies into little pieces. Peel and chop garlic. (Chopped is better than pressed or crushed in this recipe because you want to have larger pieces to scoop from the bottom of the pan.)

Mix it all together and simmer until garlic and anchovies are fully cooked. (I like to simmer for a few hours... on VERY LOW so it doesn't burn)

When the guests arrive (or when you are ready to eat). Have the meat and veggies out and ready to go. Start out with a few pieces of each food cook until done, and replace as you take it out. Serve on crusty french bread and eat like a sandwich.

You can use whatever meats and vegetables you like... I've even started cutting corn on the cob into 2-inch rounds and cooking them in the oil! MMMMMM I know other people who put chunks of cheese on a fork, and hold the fork in the oil for a few moments to begin melting the cheese and then they spread it on the top of their "goodies"

Thank you I am sure this will be a hit.

Oh, that sounds SO good...without the anchovies of course!!

It's a great party recipe. We usually have it every year to invite everyone over for New Year's Eve (most everyone in our town does the same or has a friend or family member who does this... the whole town stinks of garlic for weeks ;) LOL)

No, it's NOT good without the anchovies!!!!!! Seriously! You won't even know they are there!!!!

You sure?? I MIGHT give it a try, but I am not an anchovie person! I could be talked into it...

omg.... this sounds like heaven in a dish. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... definitely going to try this one.

Nothing would get me to eat anchovies. I'm one of those people that can tell if someone has put a dash of something in 8 cups of soup. I make my friends crazy and most now take me seriously when I say just have wine & bread & I'll be happy.

Seriously! You won't know the anchovies are there! The garlic overpowers any other flavor in there ;) And you know the oil is ready to start cooking in when you can't recognize the anchovies in the pan. (Scoop up the stuff from the bottom and when you can't tell what's what, it's ready! lol) They just kind of "dissolve".... They really just add a salty flavor... and before you ask, NO, adding salt will NOT replace the anchovies! LOL

Okay, I have this question.... if you can't taste them or tell they are in there, then how can they possibly be so necessary that you can't replace them? ;)

re: garlic press
gilliandanielle said:
Another vote for garlic fans!! I usually use the amount listed, but I add it to EVERYTHING!!

Garlic powder and the such gives me terrible stomach aches, but the real fresh stuff doesn't and boy does my house really smell good after pressing a clove or few :)

DOwn here in TX everything is big, so I must cut the clove prior to placing in pressor it won't fit, however it's nice other than that I don't have to clean it!!

anchovies
Soothenrelax said:
Garlic powder and the such gives me terrible stomach aches, but the real fresh stuff doesn't and boy does my house really smell good after pressing a clove or few :)

DOwn here in TX everything is big, so I must cut the clove prior to placing in pressor it won't fit, however it's nice other than that I don't have to clean it!!

I'm not a huge fan, but I understand the concept here. Yes they're very salty and I'm sure it's like they say you won't even know they're in there, I'm thinking Anchovies are healthy as well.

What would it kill to try it, I"ve tried many things both on my own and at cluster meetings I wouldn't normally try because it has ingreds I can't stand, however they've all been delicous.!!!

PoseyMom said:
Okay, I have this question.... if you can't taste them or tell they are in there, then how can they possibly be so necessary that you can't replace them? ;)

I get that question all the time!!! LOL But seriously... if they aren't there, it's missing the saltiness of the dish. Salt is NOT a good replacement for this..... the anchovies cook down completely and are not recognizable, but their flavor would be missed if they weren't there...

You know what's funny? I eat fresh garlic and I'm fine... eat something for a jar and I have terrible indigestion.

gilliandanielle said:
You sure?? I MIGHT give it a try, but I am not an anchovie person! I could be talked into it...

Do you eat Caesar salad at restaurants? If so you eat anchovies and don't even know it.

THANK YOU! I *knew* there was something else that had anchovies and people don't even know it!!!!!! ;)

Anchovies are in Worcestershire Sauce, too! :)

bbauman07 said:
Do you eat Caesar salad at restaurants? If so you eat anchovies and don't even know it.

Is that what makes theirs taste so much better than my homemade kind? I knew it was something and something I would NEVER thought of! uhhh!

I would have to look through my recipe files but I have the recipe if you would like it.

Then you can make restaurant style salads at home.

HMMMM that makes me want to make Applebees chicken oriental salad for dinner. No there are no anchovies in this one.

Alright! I got the point, LOL! I'll try it...

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JanetM
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Curlyone
  • gailz2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • cheftheresa