• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Support the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act: Sign the Petition Now!

In summary, this nurse is trying to convince people to support a bill that would require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour hospital stay for patients undergoing a mastectomy. She believes that this would eliminate the "drive-through" mastectomy where women are forced to go home just a few hours after surgery, against the wishes of their doctor.
ragschef
Thought that title would get your attention! :blushing: PLease read below where I have C&P'd an email I received.

Thanks! I've checked up on snopes and this is a for real email/petition.

--- Be My Bra

From a nurse:
I'll never forget the look in my patients' eyes when I had to tell
them they had to go home with the drains, new exercises and no breast.
I remember begging the doctors to keep these women in the hospital
longer, only to hear that they would like to, but their hands were tied by the
insurance companies. So there I sat with my patients, giving them the
instructions they needed to take care of themselves, knowing full well
they didn't grasp half of what I was saying, because the glazed, hopeless, frightened look spoke louder than
the quiet "thank you" they muttered.

A mastectomy is when a woman's breast is removed in order to remove
cancerous breast cells/tissue. If you know anyone who has had a
mastectomy, you may know that there is a lot of discomfort and pain
afterward s.

Insurance companies are trying to make mastectomies an outpatient
procedure. Let's give women the chance to recover properly in the
hospital for 2 days after surgery.

It takes 2 seconds to do this and is very important. Please take the
time and do it! And send this along to everyone in your address book. If
there was ever a time when our voices and choices should be heard, this
is one of those times!

If you're receiving this, it's because I think you will take the 30
seconds to vote on this issue and send it on to others you know who will
do the same...

There's a bill called the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Actwhich
will require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour hospital
stay for patients undergoing a mastectomy. It's about eliminating the
"drive-through" mastectomy where women are forced to go home just a few
hours after surgery, against the wishes of their doctor, still groggy
from anesthesia and sometimes with drainage tubes still attached.

Lifetime Television has put this bill on their Web page with a petition
drive to show support. Last year over half the House signed on.
PLEASE!! Sign the petition by clicking on the web site below. You need not give
more than your name, state, and zip code.

http://www.lifetimetv.com/breastcancer/petition/signpetition.php

This only takes a few seconds. PLEASE PASS THIS ON to your friends and
family, and on behalf of all women, THANKS!

Thanks Amanda. God's timing is flawless my Aunt Paula was diagnosed with the most aggressive type of Breast Cancer just 2 months ago. She went to her yearly mamograms and checkups without fail, but this year they found a spot. So far they have done a lumpectomy (they feel the margins were fairly defined, after a MRI they took 3 seperate lumps out), and are doing Radiation. If the MRI looks good in 3 months she will be in good shape otherwise they will do Chemotherapy as well. She has never been sick much ever so this has been hard on her.

Already been to the site and signed the petition. It is easy to do please stop by. We need to then send it to all our contacts.

A co-worker of mine went through what you posted, Her Dr. did reconstructive surgery when he removed her's... but within a couple of days they sent her home with the drains in.. It's over whelming how fast they want to shove a person out the door afterwards..

Just bumping this thread. I think its worth it...

I have decided they are never sending me home early from the hospital again. I will refuse to leave until I am well enough to take a shower on my own!! I think when you can do that you are ready to go home!

I just had gall bladder surgery and came home 1 day too early!

I know one of the main reasons they want you out of the hospital is due to infection. It is really bad at hospitals. Maybe a good solution would be to have nurses who come to your home to stay w/you a few days.

P. S. I'll be signing.

Last edited:
I signed this and agree it would be great to just rest and be cared for instead of being sent home too soon. Infections or not---it's bad enough if you have to have one or both of the girls removed...and you can't even be near a nurse or doctor when you need one the most...

bumping for the day...

1. What is the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act?

The Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act is a bill that would require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour hospital stay for patients undergoing a mastectomy.

2. Why is the bill needed?

The bill is needed because currently, insurance companies are trying to make mastectomies an outpatient procedure, which means women are forced to go home just a few hours after surgery, against the wishes of their doctor, and often still groggy from anesthesia.

3. What are the potential consequences of not passing this bill?

If the bill is not passed, women who undergo mastectomies may be forced to go home before they are fully recovered, which can lead to complications and a longer healing process. It also puts women at risk of not receiving proper post-operative care and support.

4. How can individuals support this bill?

Individuals can support this bill by signing the petition on Lifetime Television's website and spreading awareness to others. They can also contact their local representatives and urge them to support the bill.

5. Has the bill received support from the government?

Yes, over half of the House has signed on to support the bill last year. However, continued support from the public is crucial in getting the bill passed into law.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • braveslady
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • hmolah
  • General Chat
Replies