• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sundried Tomato and Sausage Risotto - Recipe Review

In summary, the Deep Dish Baker is necessary for this recipe because it has a large surface area and shallow depth. The sun-dried tomatoes are the only ingredient that needs to be purchased additional, and it is a very easy recipe to make. The taste is excellent, but it is not a risotto.
leftymac
So, I've been dying to make this recipe the instant I saw it. I even got the Deep Dish Baker specifically for it! After making it, I can say that I don't think you can substitute any piece of stoneware besides the Deep Dish Baker because you need the large volume, and the shallow and wide surface area.

The only ingredients I already had in my pantry were the sun-dried tomatoes and the olive oil. I had to purchase everything else. I spent $20, and it was almost enough for two batches of the recipe. Had I purchased more tomatoes (an additional $5 more), then I would've had enough for two batches. That would've made it about $3 a serving (4 servings in a recipe).

I've always heard that the mark of a great chef is whether or not he can make a risotto, as they are easy to mess up. I will admit I was a bit leary about this recipe. "A risotto in the microwave? No way that's gonna be legit!"

I started cooking at 3:31 p.m. The dish was plated and ready to eat at 4:17 p.m.

The dish was very easy to prepare, but the recipe can be a bit confusing for some. When you do the first microwave step, it says to cover with parchment paper. It doesn't say whether to do that for the other microwave steps. I did it, but removed it halfway through the other steps. I think this may have inhibited the rice from getting the creamy texture that a risotto should have.

Overall, I think the taste of the recipe is excellent. It wasn't as creamy as a risotto should be, in my opinion. I will definitely make it again, and I will try it without the parchment paper over it on the additional microwave steps.

I did add additional fresh parsley and parmesan cheese. The additional parsley makes it look very nice, but it did overpower the taste slightly.

On a scale of 1-5 (5 being the highest):

Ease to make: 5
Cost: 4
Taste: 4

I definitely recommend you try this recipe! I don't think it would make a good show recipe though, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Two more notes:
1. I don't think 2 sausage links is enough
2. 4 servings is a bit skimpy for a main dish, I think. I say 3. I am a big boy, however.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 355
It looks good, thank you for sharing your findings!!

I make a pretty mean risotto on the stovetop, I would be leary about the microwave! But if you say so! :)

Thanks for the review! It looks tasty. What size dots bowl is that? The medium or large?

It is the pasta bowl. That was my serving (about 1/3 of the total amount).It's a very good recipe -- I just wouldn't call it a risotto.

Aha! That makes more sense. I thought it was the whole quantity in a serving bowl, and I was trying to eyeball the amount based on the size of the bowl. It didn't look like the large bowl (not flat enough), but I kept thinking that if it was the medium bowl then it really did not make much!

Thanks again :)

Hmmm, when we have pasta, DH fills the Dots Pasta Bowl, I assume he'd do the same with this....so that would definitely only feed 3 at our house! And one would be a 4 yr old.

It looks really good. I'm glad you said that it was good, just not risotto. That way, I would take it for what it is, and not be disappointed.

Thanks for the run-down of the recipe!!

I can't wait to try it either.

Keith, that is a very good review. It helps to know the cost involved, and to translate
that to what we would be asking of our hostess', when they are expecting 10 or more
in attendance. I know we are only supposed to be giving folks a taste, but many of
my hostess are inviting their friends so close to dinner time that they don't eat at home,
and expect something more substantial.

Wow, thanks for such a great review:)! I'll have to try this one.

I appreciate the info. We'll probably give this one a try.

beautiful! thanks for sharing!

Check the other thread Italian Sausage & Sundried Tomato Risotto for the recipe from the newest SBCk. Thanks to the person who posted it for all of us.

Last edited:
Thanks Keith!

1. What ingredients do I need to make the Sundried Tomato and Sausage Risotto?

To make this delicious risotto, you will need 1 pound of Italian sausage, 1 cup of sundried tomatoes, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 cup of arborio rice, 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of white wine, 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoons of butter.

2. Can I use a different type of rice for this recipe?

We recommend using arborio rice for the best results. However, you can use other types of short-grain rice, such as sushi or risotto rice, as a substitute.

3. How long does it take to cook the Sundried Tomato and Sausage Risotto?

The total cooking time for this recipe is approximately 40 minutes. This includes 10 minutes for prep and 30 minutes for cooking.

4. Can I make this recipe vegetarian?

Yes, you can make this recipe vegetarian by substituting the Italian sausage with a vegetarian sausage or omitting it altogether. You can also use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.

5. Can I freeze the leftovers?

Yes, you can freeze the leftovers of this risotto. Allow it to cool completely and then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight and then heat in a pan on the stove or in the microwave. You may need to add a splash of broth or water to loosen it up.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• meganmcg
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cookingwithhart
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • cookingwithhart
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies