• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Summer Projects for 11 Y.O.: Ideas to Keep Kids Engaged

In summary, the conversation is about a parent seeking recommendations for websites that offer projects for an 11-year-old to do over the summer, in order to prevent him from falling behind in school. The parent is also looking for ways to make the assignments more enjoyable for the child. Suggestions include workbooks, online resources, and incorporating learning into everyday activities like cooking.
chefmeg
Gold Member
I need info regarding websites that you can recommend to get some projects for my 11 y.o. son to do this summer...

he has had trouble this school year with follow through on assignments, and as we approach the end of the year, come to find out he didn't do the LAST one he would have to have turned in! I am dealing with that problem, but want to make sure that his summer isn't a big party and then he gets socked between the eyes when 6th grade starts. I need all kinds of projects for him, but especially reading and writing.

TIA!

one ideaMy son has a speech and language delay. So I look for ways to keep him going over the summer. :confused:

Several years ago I stumbled up on workbooks for the summer between grades--one year I found it at Sam's, other years at book stores. I don't force my son to do every page, but several times a week we do a page or two. My son is going into 3rd grade and we've found an upper level Hooked on Phonics--parts of which are on computer. And Hooked on Math. :)

Plus when I was in high school (ahem too many years ago) I asked how to bring up my verbal scores on ACT/SAT. My teacher's response was just read.

I guess what I am getting at is I want to give him an assignment with a deadline and make it a learning experience. It will be a learning experience if he can complete the project, but I want something that will help him with his learning as well. He is a really bright kid~he is going into a "gifted" middle school where this "turn an assignment in on-time" project comes in handy!

Oh, how I feel your pain.... my high school freshman is going to summer school and still may fall short 1 credit to be a sophmore and I am sick over it.
He did it to himself, but big reality check for him. I will tell you, don't beat yourself up, you can not do the work, go to school and turn it in for them, don't be so hard on yourself, I beat myself up for 3 years and the teachers kept telling me as hard as it may be, let him fall flat on his face and learn the hard way, that is what I did.
We have a store here where you can buy all kinds of workbooks and I bought several for high school level and am making him do those everyday.
Good luck, I know it is frustrating, I am here if you ever need to talk!! :)

oh, you wanted it to be fun??? sorry, I don't have any suggestions for fun

If you have a teacher supply store near you, go there and ask them. I have some ideas on teaching math through cooking that I can post here in the next couple of days. I have a pretty bad migraine right now, but I'll keep thinking and will post again later. If you haven't heard from me in a few days, please remind me at [email protected]

merego said:
oh, you wanted it to be fun??? sorry, I don't have any suggestions for fun

Hee hee...Meredith, that made me laugh :)

Meg, I think most parents of boys can feel your pain. My DS is 13. I was told by a middle school teacher that at this age aliens suck out their brains and don't give them back until after they graduate :) This last year (7th grade) was his first in the gifted program. Staying on top of projects, turning things in on time, etc. were NOT his strong point this year. (He actually had assignments that he completed on time, just forgot to turn in!!)

I too am trying to figure out what to do with him this summer. He is supposed to read two books from the summer reading list, I told him HE has to read FOUR. He is not happy but...

You might try this....I plan on approaching Colter from a "we're in this together" standpoint. Not as a "you've got to get your act together and this is what you have to do". While that is the goal :D , he doesn't have to know this! Colter's strengths are math and science (on standardized testing) yet he carried low B's, high C's in those subjects. I'm going to have him do some online research and find a project to work on...kind of a science project type thing.

I'd try to figure out what really interests your son and steer him in that direction. A child that loves to cook but has weak math skills can be taught to double or half recipes. They get to cook but work on their fractions too.

If he likes a certain musical instrument, have him research who invented it.

Something my parents (both were schoolteachers) had us do before going on a big vacation was to do reports on places we were going to see. We spent 5 weeks traveling out west and studied Mt. Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, etc.

Take him to a zoo and pick an animal to study. Wow, I'm glad you posted this...I've been too busy to sit down and figure out exactly what I wanted Colter to do. Now the thoughts are flying!!

all good suggestions ladies!

we had a come to Jesus meeting when he got home and he is smart enough to realize that this is his fault, and only his fault. I asked what I could do to help him and he replied "nothing...I have to do it myself"

I have suggested that he just put this year behind him and start anew. Learn from his mistake and make improvements, but don't beat himself up about the mistakes.
His punishment for this latest fiasco is to not play in his playoff baseball game tonight...he is SO not happy with us right now, but will be more unhappy when he goes & has to tell his coachwhy! The coach already knows the deal, but Nathan doesn't know that!
The reading work for this summer before middle school came home today and I told him that he would be having WAAAAY more work than this...it will be a stipulation that if he can't do the summer work, then he won't go to the gifted program.
TOUGH LOVE now will hopefully pay off for us!

Hey Meg! I teach 6th grade and I sometimes do a project with my students that is an ABC book. We do it on the American Revolution, but if you wanted it to be fun, you could give him his choice of topics. Essentially he would have to find a word for each letter of the alphabet on what ever topic he chooses. I make them write out three sentences and draw a picture. If it's something you are interested in, I have templates at school that I could send you. Just let me know. As a 6th grade teacher I can tell you, it's normal. Unfortunately they start to lose their brains when their hormones start raging. Good luck with everything!!!

Once again Meg...we are right there together. I relly am starting to think it's cosmic! My 11 yo DS is ending 6th grade this year. Responsibility is a HUGE problem. He is in what they have for gifted at his school and is actually a year younger then all his peers-he started Kindergarden as a 4 yo. He does his homework but forgets to turn it in or he waits to the LAST minute to start projects. I am on him all the time! It is SOOOOOO frustrating!

chefmeg said:
thanks! any words of wisdom for making this a little bit of fun for him?

Ask him what he would like to do---give choices. If they like what they are doing they will put more effort into it. Give time to complete it, but also give mini-deadlines where you will check his work. Deadlines are in the real world too---so this will help him stay on task. Most of all---he should have fun. Your son sounds like a great kid. I wish more parents out there were like yourself!

I'd give him choices, but not TOO many. Part of the learning experience is that there is a choice, but not always. Sometimes you have to do things you don't like as much. As much as I enjoy my job, I cannot pawn off everything I don't like or routine tasks.I'd give him a choice, but of only 2-3 things and then later make him do the rest. Maybe he'll learn to pick the least favorite one first later on and apply himself to get it done and move on to something fun.

chefmeg said:
all good suggestions ladies!

we had a come to Jesus meeting when he got home and he is smart enough to realize that this is his fault, and only his fault. I asked what I could do to help him and he replied "nothing...I have to do it myself"

I have suggested that he just put this year behind him and start anew. Learn from his mistake and make improvements, but don't beat himself up about the mistakes.
His punishment for this latest fiasco is to not play in his playoff baseball game tonight...he is SO not happy with us right now, but will be more unhappy when he goes & has to tell his coachwhy! The coach already knows the deal, but Nathan doesn't know that!
The reading work for this summer before middle school came home today and I told him that he would be having WAAAAY more work than this...it will be a stipulation that if he can't do the summer work, then he won't go to the gifted program.
TOUGH LOVE now will hopefully pay off for us!

Tough love is right!!! It's hard, but needs to be done. I was told year after year by his teachers that I do way too much "hand holding" with Kyle and I had to let go. Sometimes I feel like this is all my fault, but Kyle is now 15 and we have been having this same issue and the same struggles since he hit middle school. He tested off the charts and should be in honors classes, yet he pratcially failed his freshman year?? He has the potential, just doesn't use it and as a mother that is so frustrating and heartbreaking. I have tried it all and taken all suggestions, school counselor, psychologist, pediatrican, tutors, teachers, principal and on and on. I can't tell you hoe many nights I have cried over this.

chefmeg said:
I guess what I am getting at is I want to give him an assignment with a deadline and make it a learning experience. It will be a learning experience if he can complete the project, but I want something that will help him with his learning as well. He is a really bright kid~he is going into a "gifted" middle school where this "turn an assignment in on-time" project comes in handy!

I have an assignment that he would really enjoy. My class of fourth graders just researched a rainforest animal. (My advanced TAG students put their research in a power point as well). I have a creative flip book they put together. The research is fun, because I found kid-friendly websites to locate the information, along with books from the library, and they had to locate photos to use as part of their research. I have photos at my school computer I can post. The sloth is a funny one to research, especially for a fifth grade boy. Fact: The sloth comes down to the floor layer only once a week to deficate. His fleas jump off, lay their eggs in the feces, and the sloth covers it with leaves (interdependence).

iteachurkid said:
Hey Meg! I teach 6th grade and I sometimes do a project with my students that is an ABC book. We do it on the American Revolution, but if you wanted it to be fun, you could give him his choice of topics. Essentially he would have to find a word for each letter of the alphabet on what ever topic he chooses. I make them write out three sentences and draw a picture. If it's something you are interested in, I have templates at school that I could send you. Just let me know. As a 6th grade teacher I can tell you, it's normal. Unfortunately they start to lose their brains when their hormones start raging. Good luck with everything!!!
He did this in 4th grade and it is a good idea. Maybe I can find a topic that interests him and have him do 2-3 letters a week! Thanks!

ps-aren't you at Stonewall????

erinyourpclady said:
Once again Meg...we are right there together. I relly am starting to think it's cosmic! My 11 yo DS is ending 6th grade this year. Responsibility is a HUGE problem. He is in what they have for gifted at his school and is actually a year younger then all his peers-he started Kindergarden as a 4 yo. He does his homework but forgets to turn it in or he waits to the LAST minute to start projects. I am on him all the time! It is SOOOOOO frustrating!

geez, Erin, our stars must be in line or something!

What aggrevates me the most is the attitude~he just doesn't care enough to try.

Well, he does now! After our come to Jesus meeting and him having to go to the baseball game in spite of not playing, he is absolutley inspired to do this project today! At the game, he wore his team shirt, but with a pair of shorts, so he stood out to all of his teammates..everyone asked "why aren't you dressed to play?" and he had to tell each and everyone of them why! All of the parents were supportive of our decision (I was only concerned about a few of them anyway) and guess what? His team won! Now he has to finish the original project so that he can play tomorrow AND he isn't being allowed to go to Water Country on Sunday (that was a little extra punishment because he lied about all of this!).
We feel much better about the decision we made and now I am in the process of planning projects for this summer for not only DS but DD as well! Lesson learned for all of us!
Thanks for the info & support ladies!

merego said:
Tough love is right!!! It's hard, but needs to be done. I was told year after year by his teachers that I do way too much "hand holding" with Kyle and I had to let go. Sometimes I feel like this is all my fault, but Kyle is now 15 and we have been having this same issue and the same struggles since he hit middle school. He tested off the charts and should be in honors classes, yet he pratcially failed his freshman year?? He has the potential, just doesn't use it and as a mother that is so frustrating and heartbreaking. I have tried it all and taken all suggestions, school counselor, psychologist, pediatrican, tutors, teachers, principal and on and on. I can't tell you hoe many nights I have cried over this.

Mer-you totally cannot blame yourself for this! It is the old addage..."you can lead a horse to water..." He is going to have to get it on his own and no amount of yelling or crying on your part will help. We managed to hit our DS where it hurts most with him loving baseball so much (and he is younger than your son, so the lesson will be easily remembered for years to come!). I have found with my sisters kids (they are all 5-15 years older than mine) that we give our children the info they need to do the job, it just sometimes comes down to their choice not to do it! All you can do is keep giving him the opportunity to improve but he has to decide that it is important enough himself.........sux, huh?

lockhartkitchen said:
I have an assignment that he would really enjoy. My class of fourth graders just researched a rainforest animal. (My advanced TAG students put their research in a power point as well). I have a creative flip book they put together. The research is fun, because I found kid-friendly websites to locate the information, along with books from the library, and they had to locate photos to use as part of their research. I have photos at my school computer I can post. The sloth is a funny one to research, especially for a fifth grade boy. Fact: The sloth comes down to the floor layer only once a week to deficate. His fleas jump off, lay their eggs in the feces, and the sloth covers it with leaves (interdependence).

ewwwwwwwwwwww Julie! It sure does sound like something a 5th grade boy would like though!

janetupnorth said:
I'd give him choices, but not TOO many. Part of the learning experience is that there is a choice, but not always. Sometimes you have to do things you don't like as much.

As much as I enjoy my job, I cannot pawn off everything I don't like or routine tasks.

I'd give him a choice, but of only 2-3 things and then later make him do the rest. Maybe he'll learn to pick the least favorite one first later on and apply himself to get it done and move on to something fun.

no, we won't be giving too many choices on this end! He said yesterday about this project he didn't finish, "I don't really like this project"...my response...."I don't really like laundry, but I do it because it is my responsibility!" "Dad really doesn't always like what he has to do at his job, but guess what....he does it!"

I sure hope this lesson sinks in now!

chefmeg said:
Mer-you totally cannot blame yourself for this! It is the old addage..."you can lead a horse to water..." He is going to have to get it on his own and no amount of yelling or crying on your part will help. We managed to hit our DS where it hurts most with him loving baseball so much (and he is younger than your son, so the lesson will be easily remembered for years to come!). I have found with my sisters kids (they are all 5-15 years older than mine) that we give our children the info they need to do the job, it just sometimes comes down to their choice not to do it! All you can do is keep giving him the opportunity to improve but he has to decide that it is important enough himself.........sux, huh?

We told him he can not get his temps ( which would be next month) or his license until grades improve and that didn't even seem to phase him. He just said his friends and girlfriend will drive him. He is so much like his real dad and I really thought my husband, his stepdad would have been some influence on him to be a better person. He blames everyone and never takes any responsibility. I thought after he was ineligible for wrestling and track that it would hit him, but it didn't. Now he wants to do lacrosse and he plays soccer, but I told him no sports until I see improvement. The worst is that he does the work (95%) of the time, but he never turns it in. We did a spread sheet and showed him what his grades would have been had he just turned in those assignments, it is amazing how he just doesn't seem to care. Apparantly he seems to think he can get by on good looks, but I told him that is not how real life works. :cry: :cry: My mom doesn't help b/c he is her baby, the only grandchild for 13 years and she always tries to justify or defend him and makes me feel like crap. I know seh doesn't mean to, she is just so over protective of him, like he is her own and I am this mean, crazed woman who is unjustly punishing this sweey boy:rolleyes: I still have 2 more I have to raise~ OH NO!!!!

I have a theory....remember when they taught you how to breathe in order to birth the baby???? Well, I don' think it was really for that purpose....I think it is so you don't kill them while trying to raise them!!!!!!!!!!

chefmeg said:
no, we won't be giving too many choices on this end! He said yesterday about this project he didn't finish, "I don't really like this project"...my response...."I don't really like laundry, but I do it because it is my responsibility!" "Dad really doesn't always like what he has to do at his job, but guess what....he does it!"

I sure hope this lesson sinks in now!

Hopefully it will sink in...we just got done teaching a lifeguarding class. During final testing one of the girls tried to wait to go because she'd have to pull a 200 lb tall skinny guy off a 9 1/2' pool. Steve (DH) said, "No, you're going now." She tried to balk and he looked at her and said, "You don't get to choose who is your victim as a lifeguard in real life or who you get to save. Go in now or I'm getting in as your victim." Well, she went and did it and did pass. (So, the "wanting to choose" still exists at about 18 years old!)

I totally respect his wanting to have choices...I mean, don't we all. BUT, he has to figure out that when we make bad choices, we have consequences!

I spoke with his teacher yesterday and she said DS was SO motivated to finish his project that he even wants now to do extra! I guess we know now what to hold over him~BASEBALL!

ps Janet, the letter came yesterday and Rachel is beside herself!! Mailing on back by Monday!

1. What are some fun and engaging summer projects for 11-year-olds?

There are plenty of options for summer projects that will keep 11-year-olds entertained and engaged. Some ideas include creating a backyard obstacle course, making homemade ice cream, creating a vision board, or starting a garden.

2. How can I keep my 11-year-old busy during the summer?

One way to keep an 11-year-old busy during the summer is to encourage them to pursue their interests through projects. This could include activities such as creating a comic book, learning a new skill or hobby, or participating in a virtual summer camp.

3. Are there any educational summer projects for 11-year-olds?

Absolutely! Summer is a great time for kids to continue learning and exploring new subjects. Some educational summer project ideas for 11-year-olds include creating a time capsule, building a solar oven, or making a volcano.

4. How can I make sure my 11-year-old stays safe while doing summer projects?

Safety should always be a top priority when doing any kind of project with kids. Make sure to choose age-appropriate activities, supervise when necessary, and teach your child proper safety precautions. It's also important to use any necessary safety equipment, such as goggles or gloves.

5. Can my 11-year-old do summer projects by themselves?

It depends on the project and the child's maturity level. Some projects may require adult supervision, while others can be done independently. It's important to assess the difficulty level and any potential hazards before allowing your child to do a project on their own.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • pampered.chris