• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Summer Berry Shortcake Question...

In summary, there is a discussion about making strawberry shortcakes for a team leader's meeting at work. The person's husband has requested for this specific dessert, but the question is whether the shortcakes can be made ahead of time without losing their freshness. Some suggestions were given, such as using pound cake or making a trifle, but the person ultimately decides to make regular shortcake biscuits. There is also mention of using fresh whipped cream and sending it in a chillzanne bowl. Some caution is given about the freshness of fresh berries if made in advance.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
It's DH's turn (read - my turn) to bring the treat for his Team Leader's Meeting tomorrow at work.
He has requested Strawberry Shortcake, and I thought about making the Summer Berry Shortcakes - but wondered if the shortcakes would be good if I made them today. Has anyone made the shortcakes ahead? How did they turn out? Were they still fresh tasting?

ChefBeckyD said:
It's DH's turn (read - my turn) to bring the treat for his Team Leader's Meeting tomorrow at work.
He has requested Strawberry Shortcake, and I thought about making the Summer Berry Shortcakes - but wondered if the shortcakes would be good if I made them today. Has anyone made the shortcakes ahead? How did they turn out? Were they still fresh tasting?

I haven't made them in advance, but I've had day-old crescent dough before and I don't think it's very good.

leftymac said:
I haven't made them in advance, but I've had day-old crescent dough before and I don't think it's very good.

That's what I was thinking too....hmmm, maybe I'll make the topping, but do my own shortcake.

I too wouldn't want to risk it...but I'm picky.You could wash and slice strawberries ahead of time to save some time.Or how about a strawberry shortcake type trifle!

janetupnorth said:
I too wouldn't want to risk it...but I'm picky.

You could wash and slice strawberries ahead of time to save some time.

Or how about a strawberry shortcake type trifle!

DH said no to the Trifle - already ran that past him....

I think I'll just make regular shortcake biscuits.

ChefBeckyD said:
DH said no to the Trifle - already ran that past him....

I think I'll just make regular shortcake biscuits.

Got to love it...wants a SPECIFIC dessert. ;) Tell him beggers can't be choosers. He-he...

I was just about to ask if you made biscuits or cake for yours...you just answered that question! :D

janetupnorth said:
Got to love it...wants a SPECIFIC dessert. ;) Tell him beggers can't be choosers. He-he...

I was just about to ask if you made biscuits or cake for yours...you just answered that question!
:D

LOL - His suggestion was to buy those little shortcake cups (like a twinkie, but without the filling) that are always by the strawberries in the produce dept. (he likes those!)

Ewwwww!:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I told him I'd make shortcake - I wasn't going to buy those!

This recipe really isn't that difficult or long start to finish. It is a quick recipe. If you are going to make the shortcake anyway why not just follow the recipe?

Use pound cake and just make the topping. I made it that way and bought the frozen Sarah Lee pound cake.

I've not made them ahead but ate leftovers the next day and they were excellent! I did not put the topping on the leftover ones the day before so it's kind of like making it the day before. ;)

Chef Kearns said:
This recipe really isn't that difficult or long start to finish. It is a quick recipe. If you are going to make the shortcake anyway why not just follow the recipe?

Because I don't think the shortcake part would be as good the next day. I have to make them tonight for him to take to work tomorrow. (and I'm NOT getting up at 5am to make it!)

I was planning on still making the berry part.

And - it would be almost blasphemous for me to send frozen poundcake with the berries. I have a certain reputation to uphold with DH's co-workers.:D ;)

I'm also making fresh whipped cream and sending it in a chillzanne bowl.

I'm sure you could make these the day before then. Keep them tightly sealed on the counter and rewarm them when you are ready to make them to bring the softness out.

I'm with you you there sister! I wouldn't be getting up at 5am either. I didn't know what the schedule was. I hope it goes well. Let us know what you've decided to do.

What about the berry desert in the Stars and Stripes theme (not the triffle.)PERSONALLY ... I don't find that fresh berries keep well from day to day. I made the velvet cake in advance and the results weren't pretty. I wish I'd added the berries the next day ...

Chef Kearns said:
I'm with you you there sister! I wouldn't be getting up at 5am either. I didn't know what the schedule was. I hope it goes well. Let us know what you've decided to do.

I knew you'd understand when I told you what time I'd have to do them in the morning!:D :thumbup:

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - His suggestion was to buy those little shortcake cups (like a twinkie, but without the filling) that are always by the strawberries in the produce dept. (he likes those!)

Ewwwww!:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I told him I'd make shortcake - I wasn't going to buy those!

we love those type of shortcakes, we have those for dessert quite often :)
What is it about them you don't like? just curious

I like them too, even tho' I heard of someone once putting one in a time capsule and ten years later it looked exactly the same! Ha! (They are like twinkies without the filling-hadn't thought of that. H-m-m.)

jrodeo said:
I like them too, even tho' I heard of someone once putting one in a time capsule and ten years later it looked exactly the same! Ha! (They are like twinkies without the filling-hadn't thought of that. H-m-m.)

they weren't moldy?

ChefBeckyD said:
Because I don't think the shortcake part would be as good the next day. I have to make them tonight for him to take to work tomorrow. (and I'm NOT getting up at 5am to make it!)

I was planning on still making the berry part.

And - it would be almost blasphemous for me to send frozen poundcake with the berries. I have a certain reputation to uphold with DH's co-workers.:D ;)

I'm also making fresh whipped cream and sending it in a chillzanne bowl.

Fresh whipped cream?? WOW......you are my new PC idol :):sing:

Nope they weren't. That's the scary part.

merego said:
we love those type of shortcakes, we have those for dessert quite often :)
What is it about them you don't like? just curious

I don't like Twinkies either.

I pretty much stay away from heavily processed foods - and those are highly processed!

Twinkies have a shelf life of something like 18 years....real food would mold in a week or two.;)

DH loves that stuff though. DS has never had one.

ChefBeckyD said:
I don't like Twinkies either.

I pretty much stay away from heavily processed foods - and those are highly processed!

Twinkies have a shelf life of something like 18 years....real food would mold in a week or two.;)

DH loves that stuff though. DS has never had one.

My kids have never had a twinkie, although older DS loves the hostess cupcakes as do I, but my hips do not :) ha ha I never was a twinkie fan though, heard a sick joke about a twinkie and could never look at it the same way again~ewwww:yuck: :yuck:
I don't buy much of that junk stuff, but I will buy the shortcakes or the sara lee poundcakes. DD loves strawberries and not shortcake, toddler DS loves shortcake and not strawberries.

What is the best way to prepare the shortcake for a summer berry shortcake?

The best way to prepare the shortcake is to use a traditional biscuit or shortcake recipe. You can also use store-bought shortcake or pound cake for convenience. Slice the cake in half horizontally and toast it lightly before assembling the shortcake.

What types of berries work well in a summer berry shortcake?

Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are all great options for a summer berry shortcake. You can also mix and match different berries for a variety of flavors and colors.

How should I store the assembled summer berry shortcake?

It is best to assemble the shortcake right before serving to prevent the cake from getting soggy. If you need to store it for a short period of time, cover it loosely with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Can I use frozen berries for a summer berry shortcake?

Yes, you can use frozen berries for a summer berry shortcake. Thaw the berries before using and drain any excess liquid. You may need to adjust the amount of sugar in the filling depending on the sweetness of the berries.

What other toppings can I add to a summer berry shortcake?

In addition to whipped cream and berries, you can also add a drizzle of chocolate sauce or caramel sauce for extra flavor. You can also sprinkle some chopped nuts or toasted coconut on top for a crunchy texture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JAE
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U