• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Suffering from Migraines: What Can I Do?

In summary, Trish found that Imitrex worked best for her and that it worked quickly. Tasha is also interested in preventative medicine.
Does anyone else suffer from migraines? I have been having one for the last month with no relief and I'm going crazy. New medicines aren't working. I'm starting to get depressed and eating more to void the pain. My doctor just started me on topamax to prevent the migraines and it will take a month to work its way in my system. I'm now on frova starting yesterday and no results! I'm having an mri this week to rule anything major out. I have had them before and I'm sure they it will come back ok. I'm just frustrated and want results asap!

I've had migraines for many years.... thanks to my Mum... seems its in the genes.

I had them alot when I was in university. It seems I get them more with stress than anything else.. but I found red wine is my enemy. Thank GOD I'm not prone to them from eating chocolate!!

When I do get them I found the Advil Migraine caplets worked pretty good then I crawl into bed with a cold cloth on my head... close the blinds and try to sleep. Since I have been going to physio these last few months for my back and neck, I have been getting some real nasty tension headaches. My therapist gave me this fantastic "headache pillow" to try out. Well it is amazing!! its in the shape of a neck roll and it has a little pocket where you put this ice pack in. It goes under the base of your skull where your spine starts and it is very soothing. She said they are great for people who are prone to migraines too. The one I used was just a rental, but I plan to get my own within a week or two. I believe to buy one at the physiotherapy clinic I go to was less than $25!!

I hope your MRI goes well. Keep us up to date!!

:rolleyes:

Hello, I know how you feel. I had migraines that would not go away. They found out it was my sinus. I had an infection. Now I have a nasal sparay twice a day. I have had no migraines since I started this treatment. Hopefully it works.Hang in there! And hopefully an MRI will help find the cause. CiaoAlexa

It may not be a migraine. If your MRI comes out normal, have them check your spinal fluid levels. There are only about 10-12k people in the country who have what I have, but if your spinal fluid is clear and doesn't have any abnormalities and they don't find anything unusual in your brain, ask them about it. I frequently have migraine-like headaches that no medication can fix. Look up the website for PseudoTumorCerebri (literally translates at "false brain tumor") and see if any of it sounds familiar.

I have migraines but have not yet got around to talking with a doctor about them. I have to find a new doctor and will talk to him about it as the migraines are getting more severe and are daily.

I'm sorry you are suffering! Bless you!! I hope an MRI will indicate no organic cause!!

I used to get migraines all the time. !'d tried every medicine from A to Z -- two of the most effective meds they took off the market, Sansert and Stadol NS. I found that Depakote was more effective than Topamax. Depakote is an anti-seizure med that, like Topamax, makes the migraines go away, with continued use. Also, Maxalt MLT (instant disintegrating tabs) are quite effective with mine. I guess the best I can say about is avoidance, if at all possible...I don't eat onions, tomatoes and stay way from bananas, strawberries and shrimp. I try to stay away from stress and try to get the right amount of sleep. And, stay away from places where everyone has on perfume!! But, still, changing weather patterns, hormones, flashing lights, even cleaning fluids can bring one on. So, if you can keep a "migraine" diary, sometimes you can track what causes it. If you're having them on a daily basis, you may be having "rebound" headaches. When I was having those, I had to check into a hospital for a few days for "detox."

Good luck!!

Trish

I get a migrane usually once or twice a month. Any headache can turn into a two (or three) day affair. Not all medications work for everyone but Imitrex(sp?) works wonders for me. Works very quickly, about 15 minutes.

Tasha, sounds like you need to look into a preventitive medicine.

Aggi, I'm interested in your pillow. I understand that my medicine works by shrinking the blood flow to certain areas of the head. . .that's what the pillow would do. Hmmmm.

I get migraines a lot and they sometimes last for days. I take Motrin and sometimes that helps but most of the time it doesn't. I have gone to a neurologist but all she wanted to do was put me on about 4 or so meds and I didn't like that. I also have sinus problems so I think that deals with my headaches. I hopefully will have sinus/nose surgery in January. Another soution that you may want to look into is getting your eyes checked if you are having a lot of HA's. I work for three eye doctors and you wouldn't believe how many people have HA's because of their eyes. Just a thougth.
Hope your MRI comes out fine but keep us posted on the outcome and what they tell you about you HA's.

Trish1953 said:
I'm sorry you are suffering! Bless you!! I hope an MRI will indicate no organic cause!!

I used to get migraines all the time. !'d tried every medicine from A to Z -- two of the most effective meds they took off the market, Sansert and Stadol NS. I found that Depakote was more effective than Topamax. Depakote is an anti-seizure med that, like Topamax, makes the migraines go away, with continued use. Also, Maxalt MLT (instant disintegrating tabs) are quite effective with mine. I guess the best I can say about is avoidance, if at all possible...I don't eat onions, tomatoes and stay way from bananas, strawberries and shrimp. I try to stay away from stress and try to get the right amount of sleep. And, stay away from places where everyone has on perfume!! But, still, changing weather patterns, hormones, flashing lights, even cleaning fluids can bring one on. So, if you can keep a "migraine" diary, sometimes you can track what causes it. If you're having them on a daily basis, you may be having "rebound" headaches. When I was having those, I had to check into a hospital for a few days for "detox."

Good luck!!

Trish

I sometimes wonder about rebound headaches. What are the symptoms for that and what kind of "detox" did you have to do?

I do also have sinus problems and sometimes wonder if this has anything to do with it. but this all started with me driving on a sunny day. I have boticed some sinus pressure the last couple of days. My migraine is mainly behind my left eye. My biggest ferar is that they won't know what to do and I'll have to try thousands of different medicines to find the right one.

I decided to also go to my chiropractor on Monday and start that route.

Thank you everyone!

Do you drink diet sodas or things with nitrates--like lunch meat? They are triggers for me.

BTW: A chiropractor is the best place to start! I see one twice a month!

My migraines were less when I was getting ortho-bionomy - not quite massage or chiro, less stressful/painful and left me feeling good for up to a week. Unfortunately there is no one in my area that does this.

Migraines, I too have them....
Does anyone else suffer from migraines? I have been having one for the last month with no relief and I'm going crazy. New medicines aren't working. I'm starting to get depressed and eating more to void the pain. My doctor just started me on topamax to prevent the migraines and it will take a month to work its way in my system. I'm now on frova starting yesterday and no results! I'm having an mri this week to rule anything major out. I have had them before and I'm sure they it will come back ok. I'm just frustrated and want results asap!

Topamax, I couldn't handle the side affects at my regular job. Ran right thru my system all the time.

I"m now on Verampil (used for HTN in many cases) I've always had extremely low BP but when I get Migraines my BP shoots up in the emergency Stroke level. I work in a hospital as a Medical Records coder and when my headaches are unbearable where I just want to die, I'll go to the ER. I asked for IV of Toradol but since I was new to this ER phys tried Reglan first and for the first 1.5 hrs he checked on me my BP was still high and I didn't feel any better, I practically begged him for the IV of Toradol and once it was given to me my BP dropped immediately and my awful headache left, only to return the next day, my BP (blood pressure) didn't raise as high as the first day 206/115 first day, but it was still high and I got another shot of Toradol and given new meds to try.

I mostly get these migraines when the weather changes, rain or storms coming or snow/blizzards coming, or of course when a Hurricane comes :(

sometimes my TOM I get them really bad too. I seem to have a headache almost everyday and would rather not be here :( I"ve had slight Headache's this wkend and luckily Motrin 800 pretty well knocked it out. I came home tonite and slept before taking any meds (after a pretty bad PC show, 2 orders totally 82.00 :(

I sure hope the current med works for me as my work is on my case about missing so much time, even though it's FMLA. I never wished my Headaches on anyone, but they have no clue. They tell me maybe I shouldn't work, yeah right.

Good Luck.

Liz

I feel your pain. I have suffered with Migraines for years it was do to a car accident. The only thing that works for my after taking so many different kindsof drugs and none of them worked is Ibuprofin 800mg and a cold compress and in 1/2 hour it is gone. Also make sure you are not skipping meals. When I skip Breakfast or lunch I end up with one. Even if you eat something small.

Sinus Surgery
apriljc said:
I get migraines a lot and they sometimes last for days. I take Motrin and sometimes that helps but most of the time it doesn't. I have gone to a neurologist but all she wanted to do was put me on about 4 or so meds and I didn't like that. I also have sinus problems so I think that deals with my headaches. I hopefully will have sinus/nose surgery in January. Another soution that you may want to look into is getting your eyes checked if you are having a lot of HA's. I work for three eye doctors and you wouldn't believe how many people have HA's because of their eyes. Just a thougth.
Hope your MRI comes out fine but keep us posted on the outcome and what they tell you about you HA's.

Good Luck and hope it helps, I've put this off as for many people I know more bad than good has resulted. I don't want to scare you, just want you to realize it may or may not help. The people I know only 1 it worked GREAT for never a sinus problem again, but the rest and they're a quite a few have nothing but constant/contunious problems. I suffer from both sinus/migraines, and mine most likely was brought on from a severe head injury I suffered in 1982. I thought surgery would be GREAT until I spoke with my co-worker's down here and the one girl constantly has problems constantly sniffing, etc.

Also good Luck with your MRI.

I usually get CT scans, and the phys is usually checking for Intracranial bleeds (STroke) but if I"m lucky enough for them to do a sinus scan that is usually the instance as I have sinus problems and usually asymptomatic except for the awful headaches.

I sure don't wish these on anyone and know your pain. Hopefully someday someone will come out with much better help for all of us :)

Take Care;

Liz
Good Luck in whatever you decide too.

Liz

Last edited:
Migraines are horrible and nothing has ever been a cure for it for me! I am fortunate in that I don't get them very often (usually just one or two a year), but since nothing helps, I literally just take the percocet that my MD gives me and basically am so drugged up (OR out), that I am asleep for the better part of two days. And likewise, MRI's and CT scans - all come back normal! It's good to know that I still have a brain! :) (I asked them to show my parent's the picture so they could quit asking me if I lost my mind! LOL! :) )It's all horrible, but at least it's better to deal with. None of the preventative have ever worked for me. So, I gave up. And I still can't figure out what triggers them for me, so I have no idea what to avoid. I do know that it's not chocolate or red wine for me. So, basically when I get a migraine, I literally get knocked out for about 2 days! I wish everyone well. It's very hard to deal with!

Migraines seem to run in my family too. My mom and all of her siblings get them, I get them, and my son has them too. He is 16, but he has been having migraines since he was 7. I used to take a prescription and it worked great, but I did not want to get to the point that nothing else would work. My mom goes to the ER for a shot usually, but she also has medication and she seems to need stronger and stronger meds all the time to get rid of them. Mine are far less frequent than they used to be and I find that as soon as I start getting one if I will take Excedrin Migraine right away, it won't be near as bad...pain comes and goes, but not as severe. I usually get them right before my TOM and they will last those 5 days. I take the Excedrin and go to work, but as soon as I can get home I crawl into bed with a warm cloth on my face and sleep. Something else too, if I ever get to the point that I throw up it will go away...my son is the same way. When he gets one, he takes the Excedrin and goes to bed with a cool cloth on his head and sleeps. His are stress related most of the time...tests, tough ball schedule, friend troubles...but I notice too that if he gets too hot or pushes himself too hard he will get a migraine. I can usually tell when I am going to have a migraine...seeing spots or fuzziness...but my son can be fine one minute and in aweful pain and crying the next. He doesn't cry easily...you know, he has to be tough...but a migraine will get him every time.

People who do not have migraines do not understand what the big deal is. Tell one of them you've been in bed with a headache for 3 days and they will think you are nuts. My husband used to say "just take some Tylenol". But, over the last 20 years he has learned differently.

A few years ago I had an MRI for other reasons and they said that I had 2 small pinpoint migraine spots and that if the migraines ever got severe I should see a doctor. At that time (over 5 years ago) I was getting a mild migraine every few months. I called them mild because they usually hit at 3 in the afternoon and if i went home to an excedrin migraine, lied down, put a cold cloth over my eyes with the lights off and took a an hour or so nap they went away. Compared to my girlfriend that sometimes needs to go to the ER for treatment mine were mild and while no longer mild are still a long way from severe.

Have any of you tried Apple Cider vinegar, honey and water for migraines (2 T a.c.v. 2 T honey to 8 oz of water) twice a day? I personally have never had this problem, and I feel for you that do, but my sister has. She absolutely swears by this method. It is totally natural so no effects of the drugs plus ACV is good for so many other things (it will clear up your nasal passages, heartburn). If you haven't tried it, you have nothing to lose. Hope to hear good things back.
Valky

I've had migraines for years....although the doctors have called my "cluster" headaches, and I know that many of mine are rebound as well.

I know that I am not a very good patient, don't take medicines well, and alot of mine is stress related. Alot of mine revolve around sinus too, either leading into a sinus infection or just after a sinus infection.

oddly, the only time in my adult life I have NOT suffereed from migraine/headaches has been when I'm pregnant! It's how I knew I was pregnant with my 2nd child because I hadn't had a headache for several weeks!

I've had sinus surgery.....everybody is different - but mine was the worst experience I've ever had! It hasn't helped my headaches at all, and the recovery was miserable. Believe me, last summer I had breast reduction surgery, and I would much rather go through that surgery again over sinus surgery!!

The best thing that helps me with my headaches is regular chiropractor visits. That and exercise, even just walking really helps keep mine in check.

I haven't been able to do either one of those things lately,and I have had an increase in my number of headaches.

Alot of the meds that are out there haven't helped me - dr has said that's because mine are cluster and rebound in nature - and because I don't listen :rolleyes:

My dentist and ob think alot of mine are hormonal - since they went away when I was pregnant. My dentist said his sisters and mother were the same way, and once they went through their "life change", everything went away.

Hope you feel better soon

Good luck.

I used to have migraines a lot, but miraculously, they just stopped in 1999.

Now pregnant with my first boy (after 3 girls), I am getting them again! Not fun. I'm grateful that my doctor was comfortable with an older migraine medicine called Midrin. It doesn't kill it, but it makes it manageable.

My 15 years just got to experience her first migraine, and missed almost a week of school. They definitely run in the family...although I do have a funny story to tell about that.

I spoke to the "Queen" on Friday...the Queen of DeNile that is! Mary's grandma in Michigan had this to say when I called to ask about their family history:

No, no migraines on this side of the family. I get a headache a couple of times a year that bad enough to send me home work for a couple of days...but it doesn't make me throw up, so it's not a migraine. (!?!?!?!?!)

Yikes! So, she gets it from both sides, whether or not the other side is willing to admit it!

Love the idea about the pillow. I'm definitely going to look into that for me, especially being pregnant. I'd like to avoid meds as much as possible!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a MRI looks at the sinus passages?

Yes... you can see the sinus area. I had several done before I had sinus surgery.

I have found that consistent/regular use when I'm congested of a product called sinus buster helps. Currently I use the regular one but am thinking of getting their specially formatted migraine forumula. It is an all natural nasal spray. It does sting the first few times used but that feeling goes away after quickly.

Orignally posted by [email protected]
I sometimes wonder about rebound headaches. What are the symptoms for that and what kind of "detox" did you have to do?

I do also have sinus problems and sometimes wonder if this has anything to do with it. but this all started with me driving on a sunny day. I have boticed some sinus pressure the last couple of days. My migraine is mainly behind my left eye. My biggest ferar is that they won't know what to do and I'll have to try thousands of different medicines to find the right one.

I decided to also go to my chiropractor on Monday and start that route.

Thank you everyone!

Rebound migraines are truly horrible. They are daily, frequently occur early in the morning and wake you up. They never seem to go away, despite taking (extra) medicine for them. And, they can last for days, weeks, or more. They are usually caused by the medicine you are using. I was taking Fiorinal because I was having lots of migraines. The more I took, the worse they got. But, cutting back on your own can lead to even worse symptoms. So, I advise finding a doctor you can truly trust to work with you for a cure (I went to a doctor associated with a teaching hospital which frequntly has more resources). When they put me in the hospital, they gave me an IV to "clear" my body of all the built-up medicine. I can't remember the name of the medicine they used. But, they also gave me medicine when the pain was overwhelmong. After about three days, the headaches were gone. I was then put on a therapeutic dose of Depakote. Since then, I haven't had near the trouble with them. But, after having them for 30-some years, it's a sense of relief that I can manage them myself. But, like many of you, there is a genetic link and weather and menstrual cycles can do a number!! Also, sinus problems (infections, etc.) can bring on or exacerbate a migraine.

Trish

I suffer from theise and ususally lose a few days if I don't catch it early. I was prescribed Amerge and it works the miracle I could not find in other medicines (imitrex, maxalt, etc..).

I Feel Your Pain!!Hey all! Migraines actually led to me being a PC consultant. I was unable to hold down my FT job due to them. I normally have AT LEAST one a week. If I get "lucky" enough to be migraine free for more than a week I just prepare our family for it. SUPER quick stuff for all our meals. I try to get ahead with all my calling and housework, so that when the shoe drops and the massive migraine hits me I can just lay on the couch until it goes away. Normally, a severe migraine will last 3 to 4 days.

What helps me the most to make one go away is a steriod shot at the base of my skull on either side of my spinal column. Sounds tough I know, but none of the preventatives have EVER worked for me. It sucks especially, because my diagnosing doc thought that I was just drug seeking.:eek: I kept telling him that the last thing I wanted was narcotics. I eventually left his practice, after all the MRI's, ECG's, CAT Scan's and every other test imaginable came back nearly normal.

In addition to the migraines, I have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome which causes chronic deep tissue muscle spasms in my back under my shoulder blades, due to overcompensating for my shoulder joint being messed up. The back side of my arms go numb all the way to my fingers, but only effects my pinky's and the pinky side of my ring finger. Weird, huh? Well, the CTS effects my migraines as well.

My triggers: onions(I have to scrub down all surfaces, just the smell can trigger me), Mt Dew(Green dye), Aspartame(which is found in nearly ALL diet foods), stress, flashing lights(driving home from shows at night kills me), ovulation, menstration, birth control, change in weather, and the CTS!

Trish, Thanks so much for the info you gave. None of my doctors have EVER suggested Depakote. I'll be mentioning it. I believe that the steriod shots are what caused my daughter to end up such a big baby. I'd had a set of shots about 3 or 4 days before I found out I was pregnant. She always measured too big for her prenatal age. At birth she was 11lbs 2.6oz and 21 inches long. I'd like to have another baby, but need to get the migraines under control first.

Did anyone else's start after giving birth? I started getting them after the birth of my first child when the doc put me on the Depo shot. I don't know if it was the birth or the birth control?

Last edited:
Well, it looks like I won't be having my MRI now. My insurance won't cover it and it would be a $2000-$2600 out of pocket. Since starting this thread and doing some research online. I have definitely come to the conclusion that it's rebound headaches. Saturday morning was the last time I took my migraine medicine. At night I'm only taking the medicine to prevent them, Topamax and Atenonol. This has helped a lot!! I would say 1 out of 10 I'm about a 2-3. I got adjusted at the chiropractor today and that seems to be helping too. I go back on Wednesday.

Last week was a horrible week for me, with trying all different medinces. It ended up making things worse instead of better.

I don't know what my doctors next plan of attack is, but my way seems to be working out better.:)

As an alternative to heavy medicines and narcotics, try biofeedback. If I can make my hands and feet get warm, it will also improve/regulate blood flow to the brain, sometimes even preventing migraines. I just keep repeating to myself that my "hands are warm" or "feet are warm" and eventually I feel so much better. I saw a biofeedback specialist to learn to do it, but, it's a technique you can learn on your own.

I personally believe what initiately brought mine on was a shot of Danizol (sp.) (a hormone which was to regulate my periods). All it did was send me into a tailspin of migraines.

You watch...one of these days they'll find it's a virus or something like that!!

Trish

Had one today and had to be put down (sounds like a horse!) but I am feeling better. I just don't like narcotics when I am trying to be there for my kids.

Rhonda I understand completely. I had one today and was lucky the hubby was off work today. I took a pain pill he had left over from a dentist appointment and went to bed.

If I catch it at onset I am usually okay but this one came on while I was sleeping last night (to lazy to get up and take something) and made me break down. On top of that my daughter had some kind of bug. I had to get her from school. Luckily she slept longer than I did.

I had an average of 3-5 migraines a week from age five until 2 1/2 years ago. Since then, I've had them daily. Went into the hospital for five days in February to break the rebound cycle. I was then bed-ridden for four weeks straight, forbidden from taking any meds. It didn't work, so I'm now back to taking Triptans for them. No prophylactic meds have worked for me, unfortunately, and I have tried them all. I'm just optimistic that they'll find something that works for me someday. Since I've had them since I was five, it's really all I know, but it sure would be nice to not be at the mercy of my head every single day!Tasha, i just got some Sinus Buster a week ago. Boy, it sure burns, but it does help with the sinus pressure, which triggers many of my migraines.

I've had migraines since middle school and I finally found something that works, as long as I take it when I start feeling the migraine come on... A combination of tylenol and codeine... they are over the counter in England (I always get Boots Migraine Pills). They are like miracle drugs! Found them by accident, while I was on a day trip, and they were awesome! I ALWAYS bring home 4-6 boxes when I go over! I also started going to the chiro about 3 months ago and that has helped greatly. My tension headaches are almost non-existent (they were about 2-3 times a week) and I have only gotten 2 migraines in the last 3 months and both times they were much shorter than normal! I would totally recommend either or both to anybody!

KimmyDarling said:
I had an average of 3-5 migraines a week from age five until 2 1/2 years ago. Since then, I've had them daily. .

Kimmy,

This makes me feel so sad. I can't even imagine having them every day (or weekly for so many of you).

I hope that you can find some relief and soon. Maybe one of the homeopathic ideas listed on this thread will help your or someone.

Jeanine

So yesterday my new "headache forumula" from sinus buster arrived. I used it last night right before going to sleep. And for the first time in longer than I can remember I did not wake up with a rebound migraine. I'm hoping regular usage of this will help me wean off of the excedrin migraine and enhance my life.

Yeah!! Yippee!
tlennhoff said:
So yesterday my new "headache forumula" from sinus buster arrived. I used it last night right before going to sleep. And for the first time in longer than I can remember I did not wake up with a rebound migraine. I'm hoping regular usage of this will help me wean off of the excedrin migraine and enhance my life.

Doing the Happy Dance with you!

tlennhoff said:

I am SO glad to hear that, Tasha!! Keep us posted.

I have migraines all the time. I never had a migraine until I had my baby then I was getting them for weeks at a time. I was on the Depo shot and they finally took me off of it to help my headaches. Most Dr.'s wont even give someone the Depo shot unless there over 25 now b/c of all the bad side effects. So now I'm on the lowest dose of pill that they make and it's helped my headaches a whole bunch. Rather than lasting weeks at a time now, they just last 1-2 days. I have a few triggers---mushrooms and Orange Juice are the biggest. Within 5-10 minutes of drinking Orange juice, I'll have a extremely bad migraine. I have a couple different prescriptions but they don't help so I just deal with them.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Kitchen2u
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • Jean DeVries
  • General Chat