• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Substituting Pineapple in Jerk Chicken Salad - No Pineapple Smell Required!

In summary, many people have successfully substituted pineapple in the Jerk Chicken Salad recipe for apricot or peach preserves. Grilling the pineapple is recommended for the best flavor, but using a pineapple sundae topping also works well in the dressing. Some have even crushed pineapple and mixed it with sugar as a substitute. However, for the best results, the actual pineapple in the recipe is essential.
mpkegley
I hate pineapple and I had a request to make the Jerk Chicken Salad for our cluster meeting. Has anyone substituted the pineapple and preserves? Was just wondering because I don't even like the smell of pineapple!!:eek: Thanks!

We couldn't find pineapple preserves, so we substituted apricot and it worked just fine! We did grill the pineapple though... that is a major component in the dish! I guess if you can grill other fruits maybe?

I've used apricot preserves because I didn't have pineapple flavor. It wasn't as sweet - use a little more if you substitute that.

As far as I'm concerned, the actual pineapple in the recipe is essential. It adds a sweet element to the salad that contrasts with the spicy/savory of the meat.

Thanks! I guess I will just make it with pineapple, I just hate it that I am going to fix this for our meeting and I won't eat any of it. Maybe I will try it with apricot preserves and then pick out the pineapple.

I couldn't find pineapple perserves either I actually crshed some pineapple and mixed with about a tabelsppon of sugar and that worked for me ..of course I only did it at home.

I was unable to find pineapple preserves and learned at a cluster meeting that the pineapple sundae topping works well. So that's what I am currently using in the dressing.

Good to know about the sundae topping. I've been using apricot-pineapple preserves. That's all I could find.

I didn't have pineapple preserves when I made it either. I used peach preserves and it came out just fine.

Sk8Mom209 said:
I was unable to find pineapple preserves and learned at a cluster meeting that the pineapple sundae topping works well. So that's what I am currently using in the dressing.
That's a great tip!

1. Can I use canned pineapple instead of fresh pineapple?

Yes, you can definitely use canned pineapple in this recipe. Just make sure to drain the pineapple well before using it in the salad.

2. Can I omit the pineapple completely?

Yes, you can omit the pineapple if you prefer. The salad will still have a delicious flavor from the other ingredients.

3. Can I use another fruit instead of pineapple?

Yes, you can use any fruit that you like in this recipe. Some good options could be mango, papaya, or even diced apples.

4. How can I reduce the amount of pineapple smell in the salad?

If you are sensitive to the smell of pineapple, you can try rinsing the diced pineapple with cold water before adding it to the salad. This can help reduce the intensity of the smell.

5. Can I make this salad ahead of time?

Yes, you can make this salad ahead of time and store it in the fridge for a few hours before serving. Just make sure to keep it covered to prevent it from drying out.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • mpkegley
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
mpkegley
  • momoftwins